Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mister Facetious posted:

But no sewer level... :smith:

Can you build a log flume underground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Sonic Colours not only was set in a theme park but had a Carnival themed zone too! :pseudo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQPpWEXcOU

And a loving great soundtrack too :rock:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i think breaking it down to just grass/beach/ice/desert worlds isn’t quite giving forgotten land enough credit. there’s the mall, the funhouse, and the desert hotel, which were all really cool. The beach level is also a flooded factory and the ice level is also London. The environments had plenty of personality.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There is one very simple metric you can use to determine if ice/snow levels are good or bad. Using Kirby and the Forgotten Land as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ermkj5ukA0

The snow region is very much good.

External Organs posted:

Someone should make a thread about cross cultural marketing in video games because this CANT be the only instance of this, right?

The other major one I've noticed is US Final Fantasy box art versus Japan/PAL

It's weirdly hard to find comparison shots; this was the best I could come up with after minutes of googling; my copy of FF7 had the graphic centered and I dunno what the plastic decals on FF8 are about, but it gets the gist across

Apparently the pre-PS games had Amano art on the cover across regions, while later remakes used the simpler logo + title art in Europe and Japan, but I've only known the latter.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

My favorite biome is when you are just really tiny and in a regular place, like de_rats or sandbox in CoDWW2.

Also the Costco map in Modern warfare is pretty fun too even if upu are just regular size

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
they should make a game where kirby gets shrunken down and also bandana waddle dee is there

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Waffle! posted:

I was going to say underwater levels were the worst, like from the Ninja Turtles NES game. But those levels also gave us Dire Dire Docks, and Aquatic Ambience.

I'd probably argue that underwater worlds/levels can be applied to almost any other kind of world that's been listed so far

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Desert levels are usually the worst. They're boring aesthetically.

Mirage Saloon from Sonic Mania is probably the best desert level. If there's going to be a desert level, at least make it look like the American Southwest, its more visually interesting. Pyramids are lame.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just got to Kirby's Desert World and I'm sure it'll be great (the game is rather brilliant), but the biomes that platformers go through are so rote these days. Forest, Carnival, Ice World, Water/Ocean World, Desert World, Lava World, and some Gothic castle usually is the full gamut.

What are some good unique biomes we've seen in some games prior?

Super Mario Land 2 has you visit:

-A giant house and garden
-Go inside a giant Mario-statue
-Space

in addition to the normal poo poo like submarines, forests and so on

Edit:

The Postman posted:

I like the worlds in Super Mario Land 2. More games need Mario Zone.

Would be funny if adapted to different franchises, like come on, you could really see Robotnik making a giant Sonic Zone or Dr. Wily a giant Mega Man Zone. :allears:

and Kirby the forgotten land 2 of course has the infamous Kirby Zone

Mega64 posted:

Best biome is the moon.

Especially if you add the Ducktales Moon Music.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 15, 2022

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Desert levels should include an Anubis. Maybe a Horus too. If you think about it, no one liked Sandopolis Zone in Sonic. And what did it have? Some dumb Golem that couldn't even walk, and some ghosts. Boring :nallears:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Nier automata has the best amusement park level.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

dr.acula posted:

My favorite biome is when you are just really tiny and in a regular place, like de_rats or sandbox in CoDWW2.

Ribbon Road is one of the coolest glowups in Mario Kart 8 for this exact reason.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

dr.acula posted:

Also the Costco map in Modern warfare is pretty fun too even if upu are just regular size

the army men games before they turned to poo poo did this pretty well imo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

dr.acula posted:

Yeah I like this too. Katamari was fun for this reason at the beginning.

Libluini posted:

Super Mario Land 2 has you visit:

-A giant house and garden
-Go inside a giant Mario-statue
-Space

in addition to the normal poo poo like submarines, forests and so on

That was a fun game, one of the few GB games I had for a long time.

I personally would like to see more swampy biomes. I realize this is close to a sewer level, but just wading through shallow water, mangroves and the like could be very neat.

I always liked the Can't Wait to be King level from Lion King, because it had you jumping on animals. In the same way that Poké Floats was really really great.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

dr.acula posted:

Just one of many reasons why the N64's finest game is indeed Buck Bumble.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

we need more evil factory levels. grunty industries from banjo-tooie was great

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah I like this too. Katamari was fun for this reason at the beginning.

That was a fun game, one of the few GB games I had for a long time.

I personally would like to see more swampy biomes. I realize this is close to a sewer level, but just wading through shallow water, mangroves and the like could be very neat.

I always liked the Can't Wait to be King level from Lion King, because it had you jumping on animals. In the same way that Poké Floats was really really great.

Man poke floats was so good. It's a shame they abandoned it. It was overwhelming at first, but the loop is short enough that you can memorize it after a couple games. Then do rad poo poo like dodge away from an attack into empty space, only for Squirtle's head to pop up under you at the last second to continue the fight. Great stage.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Modern Smash Bros has way too many stages that are just nondescript platforms that fly around past some setpieces and maybe transform occasionally. Levels that have you actually standing in a recognizable location are way better. Fighting in hyrule temple is cool, fighting on top of a generic Smash Bros Arena as it flies past skyloft is lame.

Pokefloats can be awkward but it's still in the good half of Smash stages by virtue of making you actually stand on the floats instead of putting them in the background.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

dr.acula posted:

The entire Cool Spot game!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zuzie posted:

what about dessert themed worlds?

Tired: desert
Wired: dessert

dr.acula posted:

Yeah I like the 'small person, big world's levels or, barring that, the levels that are just, like, regular places like suburbia. Of course it's hard as poo poo to make levels like that interesting.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 16, 2022

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What are some good food-based biomes? Obv. there's the Luncheon Kingdom in Odyssey but it's also a lava biome.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

dr.acula posted:

I feel like those "you're tiny in a regular place" levels were way more common in 90s FPS games than later ones, but I'm not sure why.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mega64 posted:

What are some good food-based biomes? Obv. there's the Luncheon Kingdom in Odyssey but it's also a lava biome.
This reminds me I really have to clean my fridge.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Psychonauts has the best worlds. Godzilla. Paranoid land. LSD trip. Iron Chef.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mega64 posted:

level ate in earthworm jim 2

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Mega64 posted:

There's a food good one in Sonic Colors!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Does the birthday cake level of mario party count?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
There's a level in Tropical Freeze where you bounce on jello and ride fruit.

drat I need to replay that game.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

PantsBandit posted:

There's a level in Tropical Freeze where you bounce on jello and ride fruit.

drat I need to replay that game.

If I recall the entire world was basically a plantation for exotic fruits, which are picked, cleaned, chopped and processed until you get to the end product, which are popsicles.

So basically it starts off in a jungle, becomes a factory, an underwater level and ends in an ice level.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 16, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Tropical Freeze is goated.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

Tropical Freeze is goatse.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Beating all the stages on hard mode gave a a great appreciation for the level design and how unique each of them looked despite sharing a theme. The rocket barrel stages can get hosed though

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I would say that the ultimate circus level, is this thread

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Meat Circus was a good level and the fact that it was made easier in later editions is proof that Tim Schafer is a coward

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CPColin posted:

Can you build a log flume underground?

Does the waterfall autoscroller in smrpg count?
More accurately, the section right before the waterfall proper.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 16, 2022

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
What’s y’all’s fave games to play in handheld especially rpg’s? I got an OLED switch and looking forward to digging in with a comfy game but I found three houses font to be slightly hard to bear in handheld mode…

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Picross S3

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the dragon quests are good on it. On the N9intendo

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Disappointing Pie posted:

What’s y’all’s fave games to play in handheld especially rpg’s? I got an OLED switch and looking forward to digging in with a comfy game but I found three houses font to be slightly hard to bear in handheld mode…

Fire emblem, sorry the font sucks. Maybe triangle strategy. I'd say Bravely is very good if nit as good as the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Mega64 posted:

Food Fright in Rocket Robot on Wheels.