Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's no Babylon Zoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
A good night of sleep after, I still can't understand how Italy got so many points from the public, that song would have got boos at SanRemo for being too amateurish and boring

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

SlowBloke posted:

A good night of sleep after, I still can't understand how Italy got so many points from the public, that song would have got boos at SanRemo for being too amateurish and boring

There are nations with a lot of ex-pats who then vote from the country they are in, like Australia has a problem where the census says that a lot of people who have been living there for 40 years still call themselves British and Dutch and not Australian.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
You can see why they would though

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
Also, never forget that Cyprus and Greece always give 12 points to each other ...for reasons. It's almost a meme

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

What did they think of Spain and romania

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lot of UK gammon types on Twitter this morning claiming they actually won. hate that country with every fibre of my being and hope to love long enough to see it broken up, the monarchy destroyed, ireland reunited and Scotland independent.

I swear most of the Brits are very happy we got second and are happy that Ukraine won. Maybe I just don’t actively search out for these type of people but the majority are good with the results.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

jimmydalad posted:

I swear most of the Brits are very happy we got second and are happy that Ukraine won. Maybe I just don’t actively search out for these type of people but the majority are good with the results.

Seeing the same all last night and this morning. Gammon twitter not shown in reality for me so far which is nice.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
that’ll teach me to look at twitter, the worst site. delighted for the UK, just shows sending a good song gets you points

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

I said this in the discord but I think more people should acknoledge my genius:

quote:

my innovation: instead of juries voting for the best, have them vote for the worst and subtract those points from the popular vote. More chance of 0 points and match fixing by juries becomes impossible

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Denmark needed to be in the final. Otherwise, an okay year.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonwillchambers/status/1525569073790259201

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Sam seems like a nice dude and his vocals were great but:

I'm up in space man
I've searched around the universe
Been down some blackholes

is Wiggles tier songwriting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_-gEApuaNM

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's a very solid chance they won't be able to perform their song next year, wherever the show is. :ohdear:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that’ll teach me to look at twitter, the worst site. delighted for the UK, just shows sending a good song gets you points

There's definitely plenty of bitter gammon comments but also

https://mobile.twitter.com/nicolegracie89/status/1525621089887522816

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Woke up to see Ukraine won Eurovision. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Putin!!

ilmucche posted:

France got ruined by being a breton song

I didn't watch the finals, did France send La Tribu De Dana?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Darth TNT posted:

Denmark needed to be in the final. Otherwise, an okay year.

It was certainly a better song than a lot of the crap that made it through •cough•Switzerland•cough•

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

1 day later and the only songs i still remember the tune of are space man, bananawolf and lithuania. of those three lithuania is comfortably the best song so they are my winners

also, how in hell did italy do so well? and france second last???

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The banana song has been stuck in my head all week and this is the best way to watch it

https://mobile.twitter.com/thom__james/status/1525566809746952192

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Semi-final one had Ukraine coming first, Iceland coming tenth, and Slovenia coming last - although you might be interested to note that Switzerland came sixteenth (out of seventeen) with the public, but fifth with the juries, and that's how they came ninth in the list proper.

Semi-final two, however, had Sweden winning, and Georgia coming last (people don't know what's good for them) but, scandalously, the Azeri entry quite sincerely came last with no points as far as the televote was concerned, but sixth with the juries - and that was enough to put it at tenth in the list proper. Obviously something going on there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Phlegmish posted:

I didn't watch the finals, did France send La Tribu De Dana?

Unfortunately no

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

the UK dude is big on instagram/tiktok according to my wife so that's probably why he got so many votes

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Cowman posted:

the UK dude is big on instagram/tiktok according to my wife so that's probably why he got so many votes

yeah, his music's not my cup of tea but dude has a rad voice tbf as well.

i think this was one of his tick tocks that blew up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKS-KktaqHY

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im starting a campaign for circus mircus to make the "character select" music for every fighting game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=incf12VgK7Y

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Australia send Tom Cardy next year pls

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

CancerCakes posted:

:pray:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cowman posted:

That likely helped his televoting score, but he was still only the 5th there and got much bigger score from the juries, who probably aren't part of his fanbase.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Menschsein posted:

So this is like the third time Zdob si Dub (?) has been on Eurovision. Has any other country sent the same performer as many times?

Saint Valentina of San Marino, four times

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

CancerCakes posted:

Australia send AC/DC next year pls

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Midnight Oil ft. Colin Hay

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I'm 90% sure that those public vote figures are from a five eyes op - those numbers are seriously crazy. Happy for Ukraine and there is definitely a lot of public support, but even so, the numbers look dodgy af.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Grillfiend posted:

Saint Valentina of San Marino, four times

There is also Elisabeth Andreassen who was part of Sweden's duo Chips in 1982, then in 1985 she was in another duo representing Norway and won the contest. She returned in 1994 and 1996 for Norway.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Swiss trio Peter, Sue and Marc and Belgian Fud Leclerc both competed four times, which does seem to be the absolute upper limit.

Another nerdy statistic: I think the UK's result this year is the best comeback from a score of no points the previous year. Though there are countries who have come last one year and first the next year, they had come last with some points (or one point, at least).

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

All this talk about previous entries has reminded me of something. Namely, it is my sincere belief that there is to much focus on ancillary statistics and qualities like entertainment etc in this competition, and far to little on the two most singular important factums;
1. Who Wins Most
2. It should be me Sweden :sweden:

To hell with all the things, give me that sweet sweet superiority complex nectar. My winning Eurovision gone by, how I miss it so

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 15, 2022

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Sweden has six wins (1974, 1984, 1991, 1999, 2012, 2015) while Ireland is still first at coming first with seven wins (1970, 1980, 1987, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996). Anyway, I think Sweden will get another win before Ireland does (probably this decade, even) and I think they'd be more likely to be the first country to get to eight wins (although you can see there was a period in the nineties when everyone definitely thought "Ireland will win forever!", but I imagine that a combination of introducing televoting in 1997 and getting rid of the language rule in 1999 must have been what stopped that).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How did I not notice I made it into the thread title until now. That's genuinely made my night.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CancerCakes posted:

We'llsend TISM and you'll love it

Also confirmed the six jury country votes that were removed were because it got found out they had made a six way agreement to vote for each other.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was going to say you should send Divinyls, but Chrissy Amhplett is no longer among us :(

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

inscrutable horse posted:

Eurovision is the glittering trainwreck highlight of my year, and this thread is the highlight of my eurovision. Until next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Lol, had my son listen to some tracks.
"Dad, I thought Germany's entry last year was more fun."
And that's the spirit of Eurovision.
His favorite this year was the Banana song.