Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Vavrek posted:

It's fine, just take all the pills with grapefruit juice.

With an activated charcoal chaser right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Zil posted:

With an activated charcoal chaser right?

wait, this one goes in your mouth and that one goes in your butt... or... no i had it right the first time

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
"poo poo, some rear end in a top hat has my pen!"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 hours!)

Phanatic posted:

"poo poo, some rear end in a top hat has my pen!"

The Russians used a pencil

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

silentsnack posted:

wait, this one goes in your mouth and that one goes in your butt... or... no i had it right the first time

So would the grapefruit juice enema still be as dangerous?

Sure, pucker inducing without a doubt.

My old great aunt from Scotland would take her charcoal pills everyday. "It purifies the blood!" Pretty sure she didn't go the grapefruit juice route.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
So how did she wind up dying?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Meteorite

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So how did she wind up dying?

blood got so purified she turned into the alien and melted.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

When you are taking Narcan as part of your scripts, that's usually a hint...

Thorazine, and multiple benzos for anxiety, holy poo poo. I'm amazed he lasted as long as he did.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Inception-level content theft from TFR to SAL and now here to PYF:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, never figured I'd cross post something here from the TFR tacticlol thread but here we are.

Veo Miguel posted:

Preloaded, caseless, what???

I figured this crowd would appreciate it.

:nfpa:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Green muzzle flash from hydrazine machine gun.:stonk:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

:stonklol:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Green muzzle flash from hydrazine machine gun.:stonk:

:stonk:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Mother of God

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
If your semi-automatic muzzle flash is green
You must be using that hydrazine

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

namlosh posted:

If your semi-automatic muzzle flash is green
You must be using that hydrazine

Didn't old school nitro drag racers put hydrazine in their fuel mixture to go even faster than pure nitro.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Kwyndig posted:

Didn't old school nitro drag racers put hydrazine in their fuel mixture to go even faster than pure nitro.

And that's where namlosh's modded quote comes from.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IIRC it would react with the fuel over time and become (even more) unstable. You had to make sure to burn all the mixture up or it would detonate your fuel lines a few hours later.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Absolutely love to go up like a bomb when an enemy round punctures my gun’s supply of rocket fuel

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Absolutely love to go up like a bomb when an enemy round punctures my gun’s supply of rocket fuel

also it's awesome to have a weapon which is inherently a warcrime to use and--even if it functions as designed--also poses more danger to the user than it does to their adversary

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Other facts:
* hydrazine produces gaseous ammonia as a reaction product
* you hold rifles next to your face to shoot them
* inhaling ammonia is a bad idea

(I was going to say "inhaling gaseous ammonia is a bad idea" except that inhaling aqueous ammonia solution is also a bad idea, albeit for different reasons)

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 08:15 on May 16, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Eh, it'll make sure you're awake if nothing else

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Eh, it'll make sure you're awake if nothing else

At sufficiently low doses. At higher doses it makes sure you aren't awake.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Eh, the amount of ammonia being generated from an individual rifle round in an open space is not really gonna be enough to be dangerous so much as just really clear your sinuses

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Eh, the amount of ammonia being generated from an individual rifle round in an open space is not really gonna be enough to be dangerous so much as just really clear your sinuses

"Assuming everything works perfectly, you probably won't get immolated or blinded or damage your lungs"

So then what happens when entropy/wear and/or operator error lead to the gun jamming or misfiring or leaking or breaking, and spraying hydrazine mist in places where spraying hydrazine mist is highly inadvisable?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

On the positive side, the hydrazine gun sounds like a great way to save some mass when arming your space station - just use the same fuel for the station keeping thrusters and weapons.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

silentsnack posted:

"Assuming everything works perfectly, you probably won't get immolated or blinded or damage your lungs"

So then what happens when entropy/wear and/or operator error lead to the gun jamming or misfiring or leaking or breaking, and spraying hydrazine mist in places where spraying hydrazine mist is highly inadvisable?

An interesting statistical anomaly, followed by a few academic papers and a Derek Lowe article that gets posted in this thread.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Yo yo, it's ya boy, LD50-checker with a new toxic tale.

Like many other completely normal people with ordinary hobbies, I like to collect little 1-centimeter cubes of elements. Mostly it's because they look cool together and it's neat to be able to compare their densities. I've got most of the basic stuff, with tungsten being the densest little cube I've got. But it's only 19.25 g/cc, and I know I can do better than that.

Gold's a little bit denser, but it's less than 1% difference, so it'd be indistinguishable without a scale. Rhenium's a modest step up from that, at 21 g/cc, so I'll grab one of those eventually. If I want something denser than that, I need to go straight to the platinum group metals. For those who are intimately familiar with the PGMs, you can definitely skip the following paragraph because it's stuff you already know by heart.

---
Platinum's a wonderful element, and considered to be 'noble' because it doesn't often form chemical compounds. If you are lucky enough to find some ore containing platinum, it will generally contain some other noble metals with similar properties. They're all near platinum on the periodic table, and you've probably heard of a few of them: ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, and iridium. Together with platinum, these are the PGMs, and they're generally dense and expensive. The first three are in period 5 in the periodic table, so you might expect them to be relatively light. They're a bit less dense than mercury. They're also freakin' expensive - rhodium and palladium are much more valuable than platinum itself. Meanwhile, down on period 6, you've got osmium, iridium, and platinum. Anyone who has played Stardew Valley knows that iridium is dazzlingly expensive. Platinum's not cheap either, though it is actually cheaper than gold these days. Osmium? Well, about that...
---

Osmium's the heaviest little cube you can get, with a density of 22.6 g/cc. It was as expensive as iridium for a long time, but these days, you can get a gram for about $60. Osmium is a PGM, so it's basically like platinum, except it's got an attractive blue sheen and its name refers to its strong odor. Uh, interesting. What's it smell like? Either ashy or chlorine-like. Neither one's great, but might be nice as a novelty, right? Just gotta keep it bottled up when it's not being sniffed. So yeah, I bought a gram of osmium, which should be plenty to shake around and go "oh wow, that's really dense" then sit on a shelf in the corner of the room for a decade.

Wikipedia doesn't list an LD50 for osmium metal. In fact, it opens up the 'safety' section with 'metallic osmium is harmless in its metallic state'. Yeah, it's basically smelly blue platinum, right? Cool. But unlike the other PGMs, osmium will spontaneously react with oxygen to form osmium tetroxide. You know the Explosions and Fire video where he makes ruthenium tetroxide? It's basically the same deal - it's extremely nasty stuff. From Wikipedia:

"OsO4 is highly poisonous. In particular, inhalation at concentrations well below those at which a smell can be perceived can lead to pulmonary edema and subsequent death."
"OsO4 will irreversibly stain the human cornea, which can lead to blindness."
"Osmium(VIII) oxide can penetrate plastics and food packaging, and therefore must be stored in glass under refrigeration."
"On April 6, 2004 British intelligence sources believed they had foiled a plot by al-Qaeda sympathizers to detonate a bomb involving OsO4."

Oh. I guess I'm gonna be keeping this little bastard sealed up when it arrives.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This makes me wonder what I'm smelling when I shoot a certain brand of 22lr. Aquilia has.. "a very special smell" and it is special in the "it makes me wanna throw up" special.

I wonder.... I suspect it's the primer. I'm not even sure how I'd go about that. Might just be a mystery for me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Iridium is so close to osmium in density that it took x-ray crystallography to determine that osmium was denser.

Just save up for that iridium cube.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

silentsnack posted:

If I recall correctly, the Nazis experimented with a hydrazine-powered rocket interceptor. At least one of the prototypes melted its pilot when the fuel leaked.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I recall correctly, the Nazis experimented with a hydrazine-powered rocket interceptor. At least one of the prototypes melted its pilot when the fuel leaked.

Potassium permanganate and 90(?)% H202

Of course with the H202 tank RIGHT behind the pilot.

Don't remember the exact wording but it basically translated to "the pilot was a puddle with bones sticking out"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Messerschmidt 163 “Komet”, using purified H2O2 (up to 85%, called T-Stoff) and C-Stoff (hydrazine hydrate + methanol). Both were clear, both were toxic, and they were hilariously hypergolic with each other.

quote:

The corrosive nature of the liquids, especially for the T-Stoff oxidizer, required special protective gear for the pilots. To help prevent explosions, the engine and the propellant storage and delivery systems were frequently and thoroughly hosed down and flushed with water run through the propellant tanks and the rocket engine's propellant systems before and after flights, to clean out any remnants.[28] The relative "closeness" to the pilot of some 120 litres (31.7 US gal) of the chemically active T-Stoff oxidizer, split between two auxiliary oxidizer tanks of equal volume to either side within the lower flanks of the cockpit area—besides the main oxidizer tank of some 1,040-litre (275 US gal) volume just behind the cockpit's rear wall, could present a serious or even fatal hazard to a pilot in a fuel-caused mishap.[29]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_163_Komet

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

shalafi4 posted:

Potassium permanganate and 90(?)% H202

Of course with the H202 tank RIGHT behind the pilot.

Don't remember the exact wording but it basically translated to "the pilot was a puddle with bones sticking out"

Potassium permanganate is just a catalyst that triggers h2o2 to decompose. It's not really useful as a fuel, but it was used in the steam generator that drove the V2 turbopump.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Zopotantor posted:

Potassium permanganate is just a catalyst that triggers h2o2 to decompose. It's not really useful as a fuel, but it was used in the steam generator that drove the V2 turbopump.

You're right! I had my rocket chemicals mixed up. :)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

shalafi4 posted:

You're right! I had my rocket chemicals mixed up. :)

Chief cause of amateur rocket fatalities.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

silentsnack posted:

also it's awesome to have a weapon which is inherently a warcrime to use

How do you figure?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Phanatic posted:

How do you figure?

Same reasons chemical weapons are for the most part blanket-banned: clouds of noxious chemical agents cannot differentiate between legal targets and noncombatants so using them shows wanton disregard for life, and those types of weapons tend to cause excessive discomfort/pain/mutilation/scarring/poisoning relative to their efficacy as actual weapons for advancing strategic goals since the goal of ["terror-bombing civilians for funsies, i guess?"] instantly went out of style just after the Allies stopped doing it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

silentsnack posted:

Same reasons chemical weapons are for the most part blanket-banned: clouds of noxious chemical agents cannot differentiate between legal targets and noncombatants so using them shows wanton disregard for life, and those types of weapons tend to cause excessive discomfort/pain/mutilation/scarring/poisoning relative to their efficacy as actual weapons for advancing strategic goals since the goal of ["terror-bombing civilians for funsies, i guess?"] instantly went out of style just after the Allies stopped doing it.

Rocket fuel is not a chemical weapon if it is actually being used as rocket fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deteriorata posted:

Rocket fuel is not a chemical weapon if it is actually being used as rocket fuel.

Ah, the ol’ Willie Pete loophole.