Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
A fearsome tank, with the full might of the Russian empire

VS

A droney boi with obsolete shells with plastic fins

:nms:Warning for little thermal silhouettes noping the gently caress out after the first hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's actually incredible how fast they get out of there after the first hit. Are they actually in the tank, or just standing near it? They're running within a second of the first detonation.

Also worth noting that these tanks have a crew of 3 and the last crew member (driver presumably) doesn't make it as you can see the tank trying to drive away before the final catastrophic detonation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://twitter.com/TamminenJuha/status/1525542938268270592

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Doctor Teeth posted:

my question isn't about the exact numbers below, but rather the categories

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1525755669927927808

what would be considered "special equipment?" i'm fairly ignorant of stuff like this

Nearly 30,000 casualties? That's freaking insane! :psyduck:

How many forces were originally committed?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

190,000 is the number that gets thrown around a lot.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

ecureuilmatrix posted:

VS

:nms:Warning for little thermal silhouettes noping the gently caress out after the first hit

It's videos like this that make me extremely skeptical of the "Russia can dig in and hold onto what they have until Ukraine negotiates" line of thought. Sure, maybe Russia's currently deployed can establish a defense that Ukraine can't overrun without prohibitive casualties, but can they just sit there for months or years with Ukraine picking them apart slowly with artillery and drone strikes? Even if we assume western support dies down, they're using things like civilian drones and modified surplus munitions for stuff like the video.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

And the UK MoD estimates are more like 50-60k!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ecureuilmatrix posted:

VS

It sure feels like we're seeing something similar to the sudden realization in WW1 of just how drat useful aircraft are, but with small drones. We're probably going to see an explosion in small improvements which dramatically increase their effectiveness.

If the dropped shells that drone was using had even the most basic of guidance systems it would be even more terrifying. A little mini-JDSM retrofit kit that lets infantry give any mortar shell beam riding capability for example.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Bremen posted:

It's videos like this that make me extremely skeptical of the "Russia can dig in and hold onto what they have until Ukraine negotiates" line of thought. Sure, maybe Russia's currently deployed can establish a defense that Ukraine can't overrun without prohibitive casualties, but can they just sit there for months or years with Ukraine picking them apart slowly with artillery and drone strikes? Even if we assume western support dies down, they're using things like civilian drones and modified surplus munitions for stuff like the video.

Probably not. Ukraine is being blockaded and estimated to lose > 50% of their GDP this year while also taking considerable losses that will become much higher as they transition to the offense. I don't know who lasts longer but I doubt either side can last for years at anything approaching this intensity.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

If the dropped shells that drone was using had even the most basic of guidance systems it would be even more terrifying. A little mini-JDSM retrofit kit that lets infantry give any mortar shell beam riding capability for example.

Not as easy as it sounds, dropping things like this doesn't impart enough energy to let them maneuver like a bomb zipping in at 400+mph. But you could certainly rig up a cheap CCIP system configured for whatever bomblet you're dropping to increase the odds of a first round hit.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

saratoga posted:

Probably not. Ukraine is being blockaded and estimated to lose > 50% of their GDP this year while also taking considerable losses that will become much higher as they transition to the offense. I don't know who lasts longer but I doubt either side can last for years at anything approaching this intensity.

The Economist this week had a good article on this thats worth a read:

https://archive.ph/efrxE

On top of the cataclysmic contraction the Ukrainian government is now running a deficit of $5bn~ a month, or 5% of GDP. Their economy is suffering far far more than Russias, unfortunately.

This level of mobilization and conflict are a completely unsustainable economic situation medium/long term for Ukraine, even with massive western support flowing in.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Shifty Pony posted:

It sure feels like we're seeing something similar to the sudden realization in WW1 of just how drat useful aircraft are, but with small drones. We're probably going to see an explosion in small improvements which dramatically increase their effectiveness.

Something like this already exists, the BLU-108 submunitions, and the BONUS and SMArt artillery submunitions. I can’t imagine it would be too difficult to reconfigure those to be drone-droppable although part of the advantage of the current drone dropped bombs is that it’s making use of cheap, outdated grenades.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

This is neat, a company in Ukraine has been manufacturing electric bikes for the Ukrainian Armed Forces. Apparently they’re pretty effective.

It reminds me of the folding bicycles that British paratroopers were given for D-Day.

https://twitter.com/euromaidanpress/status/1525638825401323520?s=21&t=b98b-vIaZnWUafhpApi9RQ

Huh. Pretty sure I saw a guy riding one of those in Warsaw last week and was wondering WTF was that

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

No. Nearly 30,000 KIA. Total casualties would be significantly more. Somewhere in the range of 80k to 90k; which seems impossible honestly, given Russia only started out with 175k men for the invasion of Ukraine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blut posted:

On top of the cataclysmic contraction the Ukrainian government is now running a deficit of $5bn~ a month, or 5% of GDP. Their economy is suffering far far more than Russias, unfortunately.

This level of mobilization and conflict are a completely unsustainable economic situation medium/long term for Ukraine, even with massive western support flowing in.

One of my sincere hopes after seeing how Ukraine has handled the invasion thus far both from a military and just from a societal prospective, is that the aid continues after the artillery stops. Aid, trade, and friendly relations. poo poo, I’d suggest we extend it to Russia as well, with the singular caveat that they imprison Putin and whoever else was responsible for this, and stop acting like it’s 1914 generally.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

No. Nearly 30,000 KIA. Total casualties would be significantly more. Somewhere in the range of 80k to 90k; which seems impossible honestly, given Russia only started out with 175k men for the invasion of Ukraine.

It's possible that those mobs of randos that are apparently shanghaied off the streets of Donetsk and Luhansk and used as fodder are not included in the original Russian Army troop count but make up a lot of the losses, but overall yeah the personnel losses are probably inflated.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Are these cruise missiles that were destroyed before they could do damage?

Otherwise putting ammunition in a 'forces lost' graph is kind of weird. Might as well list machine gun ammo.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Shifty Pony posted:

It sure feels like we're seeing something similar to the sudden realization in WW1 of just how drat useful aircraft are, but with small drones.

Yeah, and a lot of this is bootstrapped experimental threw-it-together-in-a-garage stuff getting tossed out the door and used to maul giant holes through the supposedly mightiest army of europe. ten more years and we'll be watching lockheed martin or whoever unveiling sharp-angled radar-proofed autonomous skynet drone looking things

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MrYenko posted:

One of my sincere hopes after seeing how Ukraine has handled the invasion thus far both from a military and just from a societal prospective, is that the aid continues after the artillery stops. Aid, trade, and friendly relations. poo poo, I’d suggest we extend it to Russia as well, with the singular caveat that they imprison Putin and whoever else was responsible for this, and stop acting like it’s 1914 generally.
If Russia does cut off the black sea, could not they expand the rail links up to the Baltic and ship out their grain that way? Less efficient, of course, but it also means the EU gets to dip their beak...

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I wonder if we’ll see vehicles start to be equipped with upward facing radar or jamming systems to detect or disable drones

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nessus posted:

If Russia does cut off the black sea, could not they expand the rail links up to the Baltic and ship out their grain that way? Less efficient, of course, but it also means the EU gets to dip their beak...

The US manages to ship grain out of the Midwest without a seaport.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

MrYenko posted:

Except a lot of that is going on the Mississippi either to New Orleans or to Chicago and out the Great Lakes to sea.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

MrYenko posted:

It all goes down the Mississippi. Water transport is king.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Not the best analogy, Ukraine doesn't have a massive river system that gives you easy access to the Gulf of Mexico :)

(For reference about a third of US ag exports by tonnage are out of New Orleans)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

MrYenko posted:

There are grain loading terminals on the lakes in Duluth, burns harbor, Chicago, Toledo, Milwaukee...

And grain from the Midwest goes down the river to New Orleans and by rail to both coasts and the gulf.

A surprising amount until recently (the supply chain crisis) was also moving by container on containerships for export.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

that this thread can't go a month without discussing american river transport is one of my favorite somethingawful oddities.

PharmerBoy posted:

It all goes down the Mississippi. Water transport is king.

but yes. ships and boats are preferred for any bulk fungible item because they can transport so much more of it than any other form of transit. a coal towboat on the mississippi will have around 8 barges on it each one of which is transporting as much as an entire train. it makes up for the fact that it only goes 8 miles an hour.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 15, 2022

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

ZombieLenin posted:

Only improbable, but after watching the substantial quantity of video documentation of how russia uses its men, not impossible.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

MrYenko posted:

The Great Lakes lead straight to the ocean. In fact, you can book freighter passage from East Chicago, Indiana to Hamburg, Germany if that was your thing.

I looked into once, they have a container ship that leaves twice a month with 4 paid passenger cabins.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

The Great Lakes lead straight to the ocean. In fact, you can book freighter passage from East Chicago, Indiana to Hamburg, Germany if that was your thing.

I looked into once, they have a container ship that leaves twice a month with 4 paid passenger cabins.

How long does it take to get there?

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Oleksandrivka, Kherson oblast, or what's left of it.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1525961832313278465?cxt=HHwWgsCyvfOMp60qAAAA

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Young Freud posted:

An interesting mini-thread regarding the Russian air-force crowdfunding radios...
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1525725177237184513?s=20&t=LI5uiimjpR0PE8E6ejnZkg

Here's something on Russian defense industry R&D and procurement policies
https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1525632893854285824?t=yGyjJiOkfTtcopWU-TsnNg&s=19

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Automatic Slim posted:

How long does it take to get there?

The ship stops in additional places in Ohio, and I want to say it takes something like 10 to 12 days total; however, I honestly don’t remember.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Belarus says it's ready to confront NATO! Yes because declining an invitation to the invasion of Ukraine means you are well equipped to fight... NATO.

It is pure ideology.

https://mobile.twitter.com/maxfras/status/1525931532283674624

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Says the country that was feeding Russians into Ukraine?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Blut posted:

This is why I am sad about a long war. Even if Ukraine wins, politics will become increasingly illiberal, people will leave with no intention of coming back, these things do generational damage

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Last I saw, the capacity for export through the land borders to the EU are severely bottlenecked. It is around 10% of the normal amount of exports by weight they are able to ship at present, due to the blockade.
In Romania the rail infrastructure is apparently severely backed up. They had to remove several hundred old rail wagons that were blocking everything at the Constanta port. There are a number of announcements and tenders out for quick infrastructure improvements, but frankly, Romania is known for being quite bad at executing anything in this area.
At the Polish border there are hundreds of grain wagons waiting weeks at a time. They have to be unloaded because of break of gauge, and because of customs and phytosanitary concerns. Even though the EU populace is massively positively disposed to Ukraine, the governmental bureaucracy does not reflect this. There are further plans to use Polish ports for various materials like steel, but the problems remain the same, lack of capacity on the rail net, lack of logistical equipment to handle the amounts, lack of time. I think it was the economist article linked itt that mentioned, all the grain silos in Ukraine are full, and can't be emptied in time for the next harvest, so in effect, there are already going to be huge losses of crops. https://www.reuters.com/article/ukraine-crisis-romania-constanta-port-idUSL5N2X53QL

catfry fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 16, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tiny Timbs posted:

Says the country that was feeding Russians into Ukraine?

Yeah right? And imagine the avg Belarusian soldiers response to going to war with NATO. Probably be about 48,000 kits dropped within 20 minutes of the announcement.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Chalks posted:

It's actually incredible how fast they get out of there after the first hit. Are they actually in the tank, or just standing near it? They're running within a second of the first detonation.

Also worth noting that these tanks have a crew of 3 and the last crew member (driver presumably) doesn't make it as you can see the tank trying to drive away before the final catastrophic detonation.

I can't find a picture of it offhand, but russian troops dig little bunkers underneath their tanks sometimes (and you can see the trench heading towards the tank in this case), so yeah the guys who run off were almost definitely under it

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Belarus says it's ready to confront NATO! Yes because declining an invitation to the invasion of Ukraine means you are well equipped to fight... NATO.

It is pure ideology.

Er, no, this is pure pragmatism. Note that Belarus isn't saying they are going to attack NATO. They are saying that NATO is dangerous and therefore the entire Belarusian military is currently urgently needed to defend against it, by having it sit across it along the border.

This is an excuse why they are not participating in the war. If I was in Luka's shoes, I'd probably be doing the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah right? And imagine the avg Belarusian soldiers response to going to war with NATO. Probably be about 48,000 kits dropped within 20 minutes of the announcement.

Much like Putin reaching for the shiny red button, this would end up Red October - You Arrogant rear end.jpg