Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

BGrifter posted:

I’m a little surprised they’re going with two months of Classic on Yelinak. One month of Classic on Mischief was really well received from what I saw.

Four more weeks of plane of sky!!

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

onesixtwo posted:

Four more weeks of plane of sky!!

:smithicide:

OTM Sky!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

farming sky with a raid of lvl 40s sounds like torture. god imagine fighting the bee with the insane aoe dot for 10 minutes. people gonna be coming up with new exploits

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Indecisive posted:

farming sky with a raid of lvl 40s sounds like torture. god imagine fighting the bee with the insane aoe dot for 10 minutes. people gonna be coming up with new exploits

The higher ratio weapons will destroy sky on Vaniki. The bees will be hard, but the /rewind pull already trivializes the fight. Being able to bind at sky AoC will allow dead people to corpse rush the boss. (Going to be awesome death loops when human guards get trained to AoC.)

Yelinak is annoyed by that long classic time, but people don't "have to" farm sky for weeks. The haste belts are worth the effort for non warrior melee/tanks, but a bunch of the quest items are replaced by kunark trash. The extra time is nice for people to form/join guilds. (IIRC the bees have a super rare drop for warrior belt so they never finish that quest.)

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Arae posted:

The higher ratio weapons will destroy sky on Vaniki. The bees will be hard, but the /rewind pull already trivializes the fight. Being able to bind at sky AoC will allow dead people to corpse rush the boss. (Going to be awesome death loops when human guards get trained to AoC.)

Yelinak is annoyed by that long classic time, but people don't "have to" farm sky for weeks. The haste belts are worth the effort for non warrior melee/tanks, but a bunch of the quest items are replaced by kunark trash. The extra time is nice for people to form/join guilds. (IIRC the bees have a super rare drop for warrior belt so they never finish that quest.)

OTM Sky! If we don't run this sky, people will get bored and stop logging in! Get your haste belts everyone!!!

Side note, fairy mantle and bracelet of the spirits are decent sky shaman quests, but the shaman ring is :swoon:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Melee haste belts in Sky are fine.

Honeycomb Belt and Espri, now you’re playing with power. :black101:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

ranger haste cloak is the real poo poo

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I have never boxed before in EQ. Planning to do Necro and Druid on the Yelinak. Any tips?

I basically plan to just plop my laptop on my desk and use a 12 button MMO mouse for macros on the box druid while being able to easily reach the keyboard on the laptop for moving/positioning . Seems easy enough?

I am wondering about being stuck in classic for 8 weeks though. Where do you even solo/duo during classic from 45+? I guess I never really played just classic, I did p99, so there were more options for the late 40s.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Malaria posted:

So I have never boxed before in EQ. Planning to do Necro and Druid on the Yelinak. Any tips?

I basically plan to just plop my laptop on my desk and use a 12 button MMO mouse for macros on the box druid while being able to easily reach the keyboard on the laptop for moving/positioning . Seems easy enough?

I am wondering about being stuck in classic for 8 weeks though. Where do you even solo/duo during classic from 45+? I guess I never really played just classic, I did p99, so there were more options for the late 40s.

Once old plane of mischief opens that pair runs shop there.

For classic? Kedge keep.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yiggy posted:

Once old plane of mischief opens that pair runs shop there.

For classic? Kedge keep.

Necro's can solo OW fear at 50 pretty well. Hate is a little trickier.

I feel like the biggest problem would be the druids lack of feign.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah you’ll kill the druid a bunch, but that duo can destroy most zones together. Was my duo on mangler and I couldn’t recommend it highly enough.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

despite death penalties being much less severe than they used to be i still feel a really intense fear when im in a raid zone (particularly the old planes) solo or with a small group. last TLP was my first time doing the wizard epic and having to go in and scout for the broken golem i was so on edge the whole time, even knowing that worst case scenario i would just lose some XP. The lack of zone-out is such a kicker - even in chardok, where the zone-out is quite a run from zone-in, it's still at least possible to run and survive.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Necro's can solo OW fear at 50 pretty well. Hate is a little trickier.

I feel like the biggest problem would be the druids lack of feign.

I’d say the opposite. Fear is only particularly chill for necros if it’s semi clear. The social agro there gets bad quick whereas in hate you are just free to pull stuff and leash as desired.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

rally posted:

I’d say the opposite. Fear is only particularly chill for necros if it’s semi clear. The social agro there gets bad quick whereas in hate you are just free to pull stuff and leash as desired.

Necros can 100% solo pull mobs all over the zone to the wall in pof and will be through all of week one, especially late hours PST when most the groups farming it go to bed. OW PoF is never fully spawned when it is relevant for gear drops. If you haven’t spent time soloing there recently, this might seem far fetched but, yes, necros are actually that powerful in era. FD is a hell of a drug. As is zoning in an alt to take initial aggro, then just loading in behind it and running to a quiet corner. It’s seriously that easy.

If you’ve ever bought gear from someone in OW PoF, it probably was from a necro.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I'm doing a tour of old MMOs with some of my friends (mabiongi, ragnarok, city of heroes, and EQ) and was considering the pros and cons of Project 1999 and current EQ. I think I've mostly settled on Project 1999, but was wondering if there was something similar that went up to planes of power.

Additionally, what classes would y'all recommend for a 3~ish player party, and is there anything we tips/things to know before we head in. I have vague memories of PoP EQ, but that's really about it.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

TalonDemonKing posted:

I'm doing a tour of old MMOs with some of my friends (mabiongi, ragnarok, city of heroes, and EQ) and was considering the pros and cons of Project 1999 and current EQ. I think I've mostly settled on Project 1999, but was wondering if there was something similar that went up to planes of power.

Additionally, what classes would y'all recommend for a 3~ish player party, and is there anything we tips/things to know before we head in. I have vague memories of PoP EQ, but that's really about it.

the al kabor project is a time capsule of early PoP using a period appropriate client, iirc you can 3 box plus 1 perma-trader

i think it also has the original zone for acrylia caverns which doesn't exist anywhere else but i'm not 100% sure. community owns but they assume you're gonna quit until you hit like 40, not a huge population etc

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

onesixtwo posted:

Necros can 100% solo pull mobs all over the zone to the wall in pof and will be through all of week one, especially late hours PST when most the groups farming it go to bed. OW PoF is never fully spawned when it is relevant for gear drops. If you haven’t spent time soloing there recently, this might seem far fetched but, yes, necros are actually that powerful in era. FD is a hell of a drug. As is zoning in an alt to take initial aggro, then just loading in behind it and running to a quiet corner. It’s seriously that easy.

If you’ve ever bought gear from someone in OW PoF, it probably was from a necro.

I spent like 2 solid months soloing and selling gear there as a necro on aradube. It’s doable but far from relaxed and you gonna die a number times while hate is quite a bit easier. That was really my point.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
i really enjoy monk and i'm considering one as my TLP main when yelinak launches. i really enjoy the cadence of melee dps, and being an agnostic human seems to be a good call for the most hassle-free exploration, at least early on

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I for one am really glad they changed classic from 4 weeks to 8 weeks. One month just seemed super fast, especially if you are a more casual player. That would barely leave you enough time for one raid after levelling to 50. 12 weeks on Mangler was too long in Classic but I think 8 is a good balance. I am going to be boxing a Monk / Shaman and am considering firing up a third box to add a Bard to the mix.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

TalonDemonKing posted:

There's a TLP server that is locked in POP, Agnarr I believe.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Apparition posted:

There's a TLP server that is locked in POP, Agnarr I believe.

They recently let you transfer off agnarr too. So you can try that space w/ the quality of life improvements. Stay if you love it. Hop off on to aradune if you need an update that isn’t quite live.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
How's Mischief doing these days? I'm tempted to re-subscribe my 6-box and level casually now that I've got a little time again.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 15, 2022

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

BabelFish posted:

How's Mischief doing these days? I'm tempted to re-subscribe my 6-box and level casually now that I've got a little time again.

I have been messing around there a bit waiting on the next TLP that comes out next week. Mischief seems like it still has a decent chuck of players on it.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I’m gonna double apprentice robe necro the new server cause why not

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'll be giving the new Vaniki server a go just to try something a bit different.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
I’ve never done Oow in era, do you guys think it’s worth starting on mischief to get that experience?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Nodelphi posted:

I’ve never done Oow in era, do you guys think it’s worth starting on mischief to get that experience?

Once it got a bit of tuning, OOW was one of my favorite expansions. There's a few boss fights with irritating HP locking for phases, but overall it was a fun expansion. If you never did an epic 2.0 in era that alone is worth it, though you will need a raiding guild for that.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Omens felt pretty dull to me after GoD. The raids just felt boring, you need to split raid hard just for them not to feel totally trivial. 2.0 stuff and signet farming was interesting for a few weeks but fell off fast. My guild saw a huge number of people return at the start of omens and then a huger number quit after 4-6 weeks.

Outside of raids the most interesting group game activity was AC aug and spell rune farming.

Things stagnate here for 5 months. DoN is a neat distraction for a week. Probably a good time to catch up and prepare a box squad for DoDh though

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

This is the first TLP I've not bounced off of, and all the vets in guild are saying this era kills servers. Being locked at 70 for almost a year (mischief) with upgrades being minimal and/or sidegrades at best through all the 70 expansions and a lack of real AA increase.

Our guild is already large (3 splitting tac'vi) and puling in as many useful members as we can to prepare for the inevitable exodus.

Starting fresh imo is going to be (slightly) tough right at OoW launch, everyone will be leveling/farming etc. I bet a bunch of people will be leveling alts after 2-3 weeks, but they'll mostly be PLing to 45 or whatever so they can group with mains.

If you aren't planning on boxing it's probably going to be a rough time to level up, I could be wrong but it's likely you won't be finding groups.

Having said that, some of the raids are really fun and you get mechanics other than LOS mob to avoid AE and push buttan hard to kill thing.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 18, 2022

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

If y’all’s experience is like Aradunes a huge chunk of people will be done leveling in the first few days and moving on to epic grind. You ideally want to prepare to be working on your epic by then so you can hitch on to any epic trains. People get burnt out on those kinda quick (by like 3-4 weeks in?) and then you’re either pulling teeth to get people for your hard fights or waiting for power creep to make most of the encounters 1-2 groupable. Depending on your playgroup people may be swapping epic kills and helping for their alts.

It’s a good time to gear up and prepare boxes, finish up BIC on any characters before people stop inktuta completely (if y’all have anyone doing that one still).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah we're going to be doing epics as dkp raids since anguish is a 1 night thing even 3+ splitting it.

Not sure if we're going to continue doing tacvi,, kind of doubt it.

Raids will, probably be, after the launch rush, MPG trials, anguish, epics for 2-3 weeks then anguish and epics with our 3rd raid day going away till DoN

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

Yeah we're going to be doing epics as dkp raids since anguish is a 1 night thing even 3+ splitting it.

Not sure if we're going to continue doing tacvi,, kind of doubt it.

Raids will, probably be, after the launch rush, MPG trials, anguish, epics for 2-3 weeks then anguish and epics with our 3rd raid day going away till DoN

I was taking box crew friends into tacvi to gear out alts by DoN. Hardest boss is the first goat, second is north snake. Everything else is a cakewalk at 70 with decent tanks and geared/AAd healers.

Balance takes some finessing.. everything else just blows up.

Tunat strat is to burn to phase change, summon tank to clear dogs, let it get back over 90 and he hits for like 200, then heal/med up, and when you re-engage, disc at like 65% to burn through the add form.

It’s ridiculously easy with mains/4-5 groups of boxed alts that are basically qvic geared and the qvic loot + tacvi stuff will set your alts up really well until TSS where you can gear them out in Frostcrypt.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Honestly I don't think we have to worry about that, anguish can be done with 24-30 ppl, we're going to have every main, box and alt fully geared in the 5 months we do it. Heck once we stop raiding anguish folks will probably run off nights of it.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
If your experience is anything like mine has been, folks will quickly prefer speed running over ambitious splits. The 3rd or 4th week of 3+ hour runs and a couple of bad OMM nights will dissuade most guilds from keeping that up to gear some unlikable dipshit’s 4th alt necro.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I extremely hate splits, never wanna do them again just fully agree with the above. Take the time save, gear is replaced so easily these days just have fun with the full crew.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

onesixtwo posted:

I extremely hate splits, never wanna do them again just fully agree with the above. Take the time save, gear is replaced so easily these days just have fun with the full crew.

Splits are ok in Classic / Kunark when you have very limited raid targets.

If your a stupid big guild run 2 full raids.

Once people are mostly geared I agree, kill splits, you don't need them.

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

So I've never played Everquest but I've got a buddy whos looking to get into it on one of the new progression servers coming out so I figure I'll give it a shot. Anyone have any advice before I start? Which server are goons gunna be playing on?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

AttackTheMoon posted:

So I've never played Everquest but I've got a buddy whos looking to get into it on one of the new progression servers coming out so I figure I'll give it a shot. Anyone have any advice before I start? Which server are goons gunna be playing on?

if you've never played it before I highly recommend doing a quick run through the tutorial on a live server for a few levels so you can get the basics

https://everquest.allakhazam.com is for looking up mobs, quests, loot etc

https://lucy.allakhazam.com is for looking up spells (just click your class and it'll list all your spells from highest to lowest)

good luck and godspeed

edit: I forgot one: https://www.almarsguides.com/eq/ is for looking up leveling guides based on what expansion your server is on

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

AttackTheMoon posted:

Which server are goons gunna be playing on?

There's probably 20 people total that still play EQ on here and I'm guessing around 5-6 will be playing the new TLP servers on Wed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

AttackTheMoon posted:

Yelinak server opens Wednesday at noon PST. This is your best bet. It's Timelocked Progression Server. Starts out with the base game, and slowly unlocks each expansion after a few weeks. It will be the most populated server to play on, and be the best for a brand new player.

Read some guides, check out some youtube videos and figure out what you want to play.
There is no goon guild. But there will be plenty of players to make friends with and join a guild.