Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s also lame that ultimately the one who defeats Wanda is Wanda
The movie makes it clear that there's basically no one that can overpower her. She fights arguably all of the most powerful Marvel characters and defeats them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rarity posted:

I think May Calamawy just dropped a clunker of a performance in her first episode. She was way better after that and Layla was a badass throughout

Something I loved that I haven't seen mentioned were her silent CQC takedowns in the temple, from the last or second to last episode. Nice metal gear vibes, showed she could really hang with Marc the Merc.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The movie makes it clear that there's basically no one that can overpower her. She fights arguably all of the most powerful Marvel characters and defeats them all.
Yeah I really wasn't interested in seeing a character pull out some level 100 magic to beat level 99 Wanda. Her ending was an actual conclusion to her arc in the movie rather than a big beam fight. We got the big beam fight in Wandavision already.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

Yeah I really wasn't interested in seeing a character pull out some level 100 magic to beat level 99 Wanda. Her ending was an actual conclusion to her arc in the movie rather than a big beam fight. We got the big beam fight in Wandavision already.

I also just like that her story started with a building falling on her and ended with her dropping a building on herself. She had to really fight through some poo poo to willingly do that. Especially because she could have probably gone outside and then dropped the building when she was perfectly clear. :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0CUnPGzAXE

LoL at his brother’s codename

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

XboxPants posted:

Something I loved that I haven't seen mentioned were her silent CQC takedowns in the temple, from the last or second to last episode. Nice metal gear vibes, showed she could really hang with Marc the Merc.

Yea, she was okay in her first appearances but in that she really kicked rear end.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Team Mysterio not only correctly predicted that the multiverse exists but they got their universe's code number correct. I assume that's just disjointed writing but it raises a lot of questions.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

XboxPants posted:

Something I loved that I haven't seen mentioned were her silent CQC takedowns in the temple, from the last or second to last episode. Nice metal gear vibes,

They should cast her as Meryl in the Metal Gear movie they're doing with Oscar Isaac.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Anita Dickinme posted:

I also just like that her story started with a building falling on her and ended with her dropping a building on herself. She had to really fight through some poo poo to willingly do that. Especially because she could have probably gone outside and then dropped the building when she was perfectly clear. :v:

I think that it wasn't about wrecking the building or not just about that. If Wanda had just wanted to do that, then sure, she could have gone outside and done it. But Wanda's always been... ambitious. She stayed in the temple on the altar to establish a link from this world's Darkhold to every other universe's Darkhold. Then, when she destroyed this universe's Darkhold she destroyed all of them everywhere, ending its influence from that point forward in every reality.

So, between Wanda and Zemo, forget messing with Texas. The one people you do not ever want to screw with are Sokovians, because they will get their own back and gently caress your bitch rear end up in the process.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

So, between Wanda and Zemo, forget messing with Texas. The one people you do not ever want to screw with are Sokovians, because they will get their own back and gently caress your bitch rear end up in the process.

Okay fair enough and I love this. :allears:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Slava Sokovia!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

live with fruit posted:

Team Mysterio not only correctly predicted that the multiverse exists but they got their universe's code number correct. I assume that's just disjointed writing but it raises a lot of questions.

It was revealed to me in a dream.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Considering who's on Team Mysterio there's a better chance they used their secret decoder ring to figure it out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bust Rodd posted:

So does anyone else feel like Multiverse of Madness is just, like, straight character assassination of Wanda and really makes all of WandaVision kind of superfluous? Entertaining, for sure, but kind of like the whole thing happened now for basically no reason?

I dunno, I just never clicked with the plot of this movie, really felt like someone had a bone to pick with that character when writing the script.
Welcome to the weight of continuity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERxYQR6Na0Q

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i'm not going to watch that, but how far up their own rear end does the video maker go?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
He actually nails a lot.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Soonmot posted:

i'm not going to watch that, but how far up their own rear end does the video maker go?
It's only 12 minutes long, not 12 hours

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tsob posted:

If you go back and read the replies from around the end of WandaVision, quite a few people were calling that Wanda would be at least a temporary villain in Doctor Strange 2, with the expectation that she'd be tainted by the Darkhold but eventually realize the error of her ways in time to help Stevie against some bigger threat. So I think the problem is less "she's a villain", and more "she was a villain, resolved to do more and then backslide to be much, much worse off-screen and became the big villain". Which, given the sheer level of power she displayed in this movie I feel like Marvel should have had her be a big a multi-film villain that requires some major team ups to defeat if they're going to have her go all out and be so villainous. As is, it just kind of felt half hearted and disappointing really.

Between the ending of Wandavision and the trailers that set her up to be the bad guy I was assuming the villain was going to be a Wanda variant that wanted to be reunited with her kids. There even might've have been a movie there where Wanda is on Steven's side but slowly corrupted by the promises of the other Wanda in the second act, but that doesn't really fit the pacing of what Raimi wanted, and might even hew a bit too closely to his other works.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't expect the movies to have a clearer or tighter continuity than the comics. That's like those people who get really mad that the Simpsons doesn't have this super tight continuity or consistent layout of the house.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Raimi straight up said he never watched WandaVision

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Nobody should expect tight, consistent character writing for their comic book (inspired) media across different directors/writers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

twistedmentat posted:

I don't expect the movies to have a clearer or tighter continuity than the comics. That's like those people who get really mad that the Simpsons doesn't have this super tight continuity or consistent layout of the house.

I didn't watch the video, and wouldn't really be upset if it wasn't the case but it'd also be my assumption that they would; simply because there's way less movies, they all spend way longer in production and there seems to be a more coordinated effort to run them through a central authority i.e. Feige and/or whatever production team he has.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Azhais posted:

I wish I never watched wandavision

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Azhais posted:

This sucks, actually, and explains a lot. This movie hates Wanda and wants you to hate Wanda. WandaVision at least wanted you to feel bad for her. Even her own kids hate her in this movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MoM's primary shooting schedule almost certainly happened long before WandaVision was released, why would he watch it?

e: And no, the movie does not "hate Wanda," nor does it "want you to hate Wanda," people just say whatever the hell they want in here

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

MoM's primary shooting schedule almost certainly happened long before WandaVision was released, why would he watch it?

Because he was filming the direct to movie theaters sequel for that Marvel property (duh!)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He should have invented a time machine to watch a thing that wasn't finished yet?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Didn't Disney say that none of the TV series would be required watching for the movie only crowd? Like I'm not expecting any of the Lokis to make an appearance later

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Azhais posted:

Didn't Disney say that none of the TV series would be required watching for the movie only crowd? Like I'm not expecting any of the Lokis to make an appearance later

Yeah, uh, that’s just a straight up lie though, unless “wanting to know why your villain was a hero in the last 2 movies she was in” is considered superfluous Easter egg hunting?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Azhais posted:

Nor should he have to. That isn't an efficient way to handle large collaborations like the MCU. They should be passing around synopses of what's up to people on new projects.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Efficient?” what? It’s 8 hours of TV, that’s a workday doing research for your $200 million dollar movie! It’s not like he has to physically go to Kamar Taj and study the mystic arts, he could knock that out in a plane ride.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
To be clear, the quote is

quote:

WandaVision was supposed to come after this movie, which shifted some of the story and continuity, right? How did those changes work?

I’m not really sure what the WandaVision schedule was or how it changed. I just know that halfway, or maybe three-quarters of the way into our writing process, I’d first heard of this show they were doing and that we would have to follow it. Therefore, we had to really study what WandaVision was doing, so we could have a proper through line and character-growth dynamic. I never even saw all of WandaVision; I’ve just seen key moments of some episodes that I was told directly impact our storyline.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 16, 2022

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Sure, it isn't that many hours, but you can get the relevant information across in cliff notes just fine. If the new Strange movie is wildly inconsistent, that means they don't even have a catch up routine in place, which will only become a bigger and bigger problem as the MCU grows.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The post was “Raimi said he never watched WandaVision” which is different than “I was suddenly told halfway through writing this movie it was a sequel to WandaVision and THEY GAVE ME SOME STUFF TO WATCH”, two very different descriptions of the situation.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s 8 hours of TV

Olsen had a grand total of four days between finishing filming WandaVision and beginning to film Doctor Strange 2. Whether or not Raimi 'should' have watched it is irrelevant when you consider that it was not physically possible for him to do so.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Raimi will never know what Wanda sacrificed for him :qq:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Saw the movie, loved it and how Raimi it was. I just rewatched the two Terminator movies and immediately picked out that the Illuminati robots were using the plasma rifle sound effect. And that zombie Strange and the Souls of the Damned were literally Deadites down to the voices.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
This movie and the discussion around it reminds me of Wright's quote about how he wanted to make a Marvel movie but Marvel didn't want to make a Wright movie. Marvel made a better Raimi movie than vice versa.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Piell posted:

To be clear, the quote is

Except Wandavision was announced in 2019 and Derrickson didn't even step down from MoM until Jan 2020 so Raimi must have been aware of it from the moment he signed on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Michael Waldron and Jac Schaeffer became friends while writing Loki and WandaVision and Waldron says that he bounced ideas off of Schaeffer while he was working on MoM, so all of this angst about how much WandaVision Raimi did or didn't watch while making MoM seems a little, uh, unnecessary.