Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, but it's very easy to miss the bits that make The horah loux/serosh transformation interesting or even understandable. It's extremely cool once you piece it together, but that takes a fair bit of effort and some good luck in finding the right clues.

yeah i had no idea what was going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Len posted:

yeah i had no idea what was going on here.

I did some reading up and apparently the lion keeps him civil and centered so him killing it is basically taking the shackles off

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol yeah my first time: "Did he just power up by bathing in fresh tiger blood??" I initially thought he was an old decrepit man being held up by the tiger like power armor

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, on top of the stuff about that character, the next one was a whiff for me too. Love Radagon's design, no loving clue what a Radagon is. Either nobody in-game ever told me (it's possible, an open-world game inherently means those explanations become missable), or it was so early in that I had no framework for why this is important and so forgot it. Like how that intro cutscene mentioned a laundry list of characters, but the only one that stuck in the mind was THE LOATHSOME DUNG-EATER'.

Similar with the Elden Beast. Love the design, no clue what's trying to kill me.

EDIT: And rewinding back to the bosses before those, also don't know who Malakith was. And frankly I was frustrated by Farum Azula from the get-go, because it was obvious what it was but also that I'd never get any explanation for why it exists. Just like how the Fortified Manor is obviously the Roundtable Hold, but there's not even contextual explanation for how or why. Which pisses me off, because both Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 did that before it, and both did it better.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 01:55 on May 16, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The opening monologue only lists tarnished, not bosses (with one exception). All of the folks mentioned are tarnished vying for the throne.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, on top of the stuff about that character, the next one was a whiff for me too. Love Radagon's design, no loving clue what a Radagon is. Either nobody in-game ever told me (it's possible, an open-world game inherently means those explanations become missable), or it was so early in that I had no framework for why this is important and so forgot it. Like how that intro cutscene mentioned a laundry list of characters, but the only one that stuck in the mind was THE LOATHSOME DUNG-EATER'.

Similar with the Elden Beast. Love the design, no clue what's trying to kill me.

EDIT: And rewinding back to the bosses before those, also don't know who Malakith was. And frankly I was frustrated by Farum Azula from the get-go, because it was obvious what it was but also that I'd never get any explanation for why it exists. Just like how the Fortified Manor is obviously the Roundtable Hold, but there's not even contextual explanation for how or why. Which pisses me off, because both Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 did that before it, and both did it better.

That's funny because I felt like the NPCs never shut up about Radagon. You have to do Goldmask's rather obscure questline to learn exactly who he is, but the game isn't shy about telling you that he's Marika's current consort, and which demigods he's the father of.

Frank Frank posted:

Oh my god I just noticed that there are multiple menus at the teleport lady. That’ll do it. Thanks.

Yeah, this seems like something the game could do a better job pointing out.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

The Moon Monster posted:

That's funny because I felt like the NPCs never shut up about Radagon. You have to do Goldmask's rather obscure questline to learn exactly who he is, but the game isn't shy about telling you that he's Marika's current consort, and which demigods he's the father of.

Yeah, this seems like something the game could do a better job pointing out.

Yup. It confused me too until I beat it and rewatched the intro and at that point you get the “oooohhh” moment. The game definitely benefits from a 2nd playthrough

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Moon Monster posted:

Not to mention the numerous talismans named after him.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The Radagon reveal was super stupid imo

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
U kidding me it was badass. I'm helping people with the end boss right now and I wish more of them wouldn't skip the cutscene

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
If you missed the radagon backstory that means you also missed turtle pope and that's the saddest thing I ever heard. Admittedly the big reveal in goldmasks quest was underwhelming. Just some dumb message on the ground.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm playing DS3 to be clear and so far haven't hit a wall until now. Problem is, I have two ways to go and both lead to a "gently caress you, BiggerBoat, I'm an attack machine loving your poo poo up" outcome. Considering going back and grinding up or looking for poo poo I missed.

FWIW, one swamp is poison and one isn't. It's after I beat Crystal Sage and around there if that helps. It's Crab Swamp or Poison Swamp then:

Psycho Death Knight over this way and Psycho Death Knight who can multiply over that other way and "eat poo poo, BiggerBoat, because gently caress you" either route. You know that Dark Souls feeling when it's time to call it a night, reheat your dinner, reconsider your build and equipment, then look up some poo poo on the internet while you eat pizza?

That's me TYOOL May 15, 2022.

Go back to the crystal sage bossfight room, theres a path in there to another zone, Cathedral of the Deep. Despite being a dead end it is not optional.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

If you missed the radagon backstory that means you also missed turtle pope and that's the saddest thing I ever heard. Admittedly the big reveal in goldmasks quest was underwhelming. Just some dumb message on the ground.

I met Turtle Pope, but I only really said hi to him and moved on, I didn't find any actual story about it.

Granted, every single questline I did try pursuing either stalled out somehow (Nepheli, Kenneth) or went off to places I couldn't find (Millicent, I presume Sellen). Or was Ranni's questline which I specifically didn't pursue.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I met Turtle Pope, but I only really said hi to him and moved on, I didn't find any actual story about it.

Granted, every single questline I did try pursuing either stalled out somehow (Nepheli, Kenneth) or went off to places I couldn't find (Millicent, I presume Sellen). Or was Ranni's questline which I specifically didn't pursue.

Turtle pope tells you the long rambly backstory of Marika and her spouses.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hmm, I think not engaging with the story telling NPCs might have had some effect on not understanding the story.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Barudak posted:

Turtle pope tells you the long rambly backstory of Marika and her spouses.

Well, I exhaust all NPC dialog on reflex. So either that was an unlockable thing that I didn't unlock (quite plausible, as mentioned all questlines somehow dead-ended for me), or I don't remember what he said.

kazil posted:

Hmm, I think not engaging with the story telling NPCs might have had some effect on not understanding the story.

And honestly, Turtle Pope is quite missable, I believe I only found him by deliberately walking into a teleport trap. Even if he does say all this--and I'm sure he does--it's not really an excuse.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Well, I exhaust all NPC dialog on reflex. So either that was an unlockable thing that I didn't unlock (quite plausible, as mentioned all questlines somehow dead-ended for me), or I don't remember what he said.

And honestly, Turtle Pope is quite missable, I believe I only found him by deliberately walking into a teleport trap. Even if he does say all this--and I'm sure he does--it's not really an excuse.

Turtle pope is on the lower end of missable, like there’s some stuff I could definitely see missing without a guide even with clear concise ingame hints like progressing the Goldmask quest past Leyndell, but all you have to do for turtle pope is to explore a conspicuously blank part of the map.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

turtle pope absolutely gives you the entire backstory when you meet them the first time with no prerequisites.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cleretic posted:

You don't get to turtle pope from a teleport trap, you have to use a regular big glowing interactable teleporter. And it's one that you literally can't miss because you have to walk right by it to reach a boss fight.

Even if you ignore the teleporter, you can see his big church on your map so if you're in the habit of exploring important-looking landmarks for goodies you will end up visiting via the road anyways.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
wait, y'all didn't just ride up the road to him?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's possible you might miss turtle pope entirely the first time you go there if it's night time, as he might have despawned to make room for the bell bearing hunter. I don't know if they'd show up the first time you're there though.

Regardless, this is just how fromsoft games roll. What on earth is a Mergo's Wet Nurse? There's no exposition, you have to piece it together from the boss design and item descriptions and such. The Elden Ring end boss does really well at this

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

2house2fly posted:

Regardless, this is just how fromsoft games roll. What on earth is a Mergo's Wet Nurse? There's no exposition, you have to piece it together from the boss design and item descriptions and such. The Elden Ring end boss does really well at this

Great, then explain what the final boss even IS. The final-final boss, specifically.

Because all I can tell is that the Elden Beast is a nebulous monster in a room that's way too loving big.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It's a big space monster that lives in the tree.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's the greater will

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

An Actual Princess posted:

it's the greater will

Hard disagree on this one, greater will is still In a galaxy far far away or the two fingers would have been able to communicate with it on a normal timescale. The spooky space monster is merely it's embodiment in this location. Anyway cleretic just watch some lore videos like everyone else that ran past everything did

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Well, it's Marika's manager, the Greater Will's representative on Earth (or whatever eldenringworld is called). It uses Radagon's corpse as a weapon because even though he's a legendary hero to the normal people, to the elden beast he's just a tool to be used. It looks like a giant plankton with a galaxy inside it because it's a godlike monster from space but it's tiny compared to what else is out there, which is also why the arena has a dozen erdtrees off in the distance- you're tangling now with something that's way bigger than your puny mortal mind can comprehend

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

2house2fly posted:

Well, it's Marika's manager, the Greater Will's representative on Earth (or whatever eldenringworld is called). It uses Radagon's corpse as a weapon because even though he's a legendary hero to the normal people, to the elden beast he's just a tool to be used. It looks like a giant plankton with a galaxy inside it because it's a godlike monster from space but it's tiny compared to what else is out there, which is also why the arena has a dozen erdtrees off in the distance- you're tangling now with something that's way bigger than your puny mortal mind can comprehend

Okay, great.

Where's the explanation or hinting for any of that? Because frankly the entire thing seems to hinge on the Greater Will, which I don't think I've ever actually been told about in the game.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

starting to think you actually didn't read as much as you said you did

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Was it the finger-reading crones that talked about the Greater Will? I feel like they're the only characters that went on about more conceptual and spiritual stuff rather than contextless names.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The one behind the roundtable main area is the main source of exposition and speculation about the greater will iirc, the beast stuff you mostly have to pull from item descriptions and the other random crones are more speculation generators I think.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
After beating my head against the wall that is the dual prince fight (Dark Souls III) I decided to change gears entirely and started up a game called ElderEnder Lilies, a nice metroidvania with some difficulty trappings (limited healing, resource management between rest points).

However, being a metroidvania it unlocks new mobility options, and those are sometimes used to traverse to new areas and/or reach an item in old ones. But my main gripe with it is going back to old rooms - the map does say what rooms have an item/exit in them - but it does not say what item is nedded to actually proceed. On the one hand, I can make notes/take screenshots - and I do - on the other, I don't feel like it would essentially be that much different if acquiring new tools would mark the areas of the map I can use it in. Well, nothing insurmountable.

The variety of enemies is also lacking - so far most of the areas have the same arrays of fighter+archer+jumping slugs, some of the spice it up with some shield knights or birds; but the enemies in later areas get more hp/damage without any graphical difference. And even if the enemies are different, functionally they can be treated the same - there are three (so far) types of shielded knights, each one stays behind a shield, lowers it to attack and so you should dash behind them to strike, and then repeat.

Also, the enemies have contact damage.

And the spirit system is becoming underutilized - there are many interesting ones, but because of strict usage limits it's better to stick to the unlimited ones barring some special circumstances.

I like the game very much still, though - it's really pretty, but also repulsive (in an artistic way;) at the same time. The story does not seem inspired, your standard "deadly rain falls, everyone dies/turns into monsters", but it's interesting enough to go on.

Edit: Ender Lilies, right:)

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 08:31 on May 16, 2022

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That's ENDER Lilies. But yeah, pretty great game I haven't heard many people talk about. The weapon upgrading thing is annoying, though.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Iron pineapple did a review of it and it looked pretty good

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I actually learned of it from a Youtube video, too - from Indeimaus. The game looked nice still, but watching more of it was what made me want to play.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
So I'm pretty sure it's down to straight-up unfinished content from the rushed development and so forth, which I'm sympathetic to, but it is still ultimately disappointing how samey and empty the New Vegas suburbs are. Feels like North Vegas Square, Westside, and the office park encampment could've been combined together without losing anything. Freeside isn't even all that fleshed out in the grand scheme of things, but at least has both a major faction HQ and a strong minor faction hanging out there.

A much more minor New Vegas complaint, but something that I think Bethesda legitimately did better - the radio stations in New Vegas have no physical location. YMMV on Three Dog and the Diamond City kid and their associated quests, but being able to directly interact with them was neat. Who wouldn't want to have a chat with Mr. New Vegas himself?

Anyway, for Nefarious Reasons I'm putting a pause on the main quest and jumping into the DLCs. Finally time to see where I chart, since I've often heard everyone ends up loving/hating entirely different DLCs with no clear consensus.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 09:13 on May 16, 2022

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm playing DS3 to be clear and so far haven't hit a wall until now. Problem is, I have two ways to go and both lead to a "gently caress you, BiggerBoat, I'm an attack machine loving your poo poo up" outcome. Considering going back and grinding up or looking for poo poo I missed.

FWIW, one swamp is poison and one isn't. It's after I beat Crystal Sage and around there if that helps. It's Crab Swamp or Poison Swamp then:

Psycho Death Knight over this way and Psycho Death Knight who can multiply over that other way and "eat poo poo, BiggerBoat, because gently caress you" either route. You know that Dark Souls feeling when it's time to call it a night, reheat your dinner, reconsider your build and equipment, then look up some poo poo on the internet while you eat pizza?

That's me TYOOL May 15, 2022.

From what I can tell you beat the Crystal Sage and also the two knights guarding the way into Farron Keep. There’s also a Black Knight in Road of Sacrifices that guards some treasure but I dunno if that’s what you’re talking about

The easier route as someone said is to go to the Cathedral of the Deep which is where the path after the Crystal Sage leads to. Farron Keep (the actual poison swamp) is easier to handle after the Cathedral. I don’t really remember any particularly aggressive knights in either area, though. I guess the route into the Cathedral has you fight one or two player NPC type enemies and there’s also the grave warden enemies that you fight a few times that are fairly aggressive. Farron Keep has some actual Death Knight encounters but they’re not too hard, and in one case they’ll even fight the other enemies so you can let them kill each other off and finish off the stragglers yourselves. The jumping Ghru enemies I found to be way more dangerous since they gently caress with your camera and do way more damage than you’d think

Oh yeah also the Cathedral had the Cathedral Knights that can be a real pain since the guys with the big rear end swords are seemingly impossible to stagger. Fortunately, the most annoying fights with them (up in the rafters) let you trick them into charging off ledges to their deaths

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

2house2fly posted:

U kidding me it was badass. I'm helping people with the end boss right now and I wish more of them wouldn't skip the cutscene

Not the fight itself, the point where you find out Radagon’s identity as part of the gold mask quest where it forces you to respec to an int build to cast one spell in a particular location. The fight itself is great.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Have no loving idea who thought that made literally any sense, like it wasn’t a problem for my INT build but that’s really telling what a dick move it is even if there’s like a dozen overworld mimics to murder even outside of Nokron to get them from.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Have no loving idea who thought that made literally any sense, like it wasn’t a problem for my INT build but that’s really telling what a dick move it is even if there’s like a dozen overworld mimics to murder even outside of Nokron to get them from.

Lore-wise it makes perfect sense - you're solving a puzzle that the Goldmask wasn't able to figure out, so you need to be smart for it. It's just kind of a weird to put into the game mechanics. At least the game is clear about exactly what you need to respec to once you've figured out what you have to do, and there's a handful of items and buffs that'll get you over the line if you've invested in Int a bit but not all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh....glad I looked into it, but also sad. The #1 cause of my New Vegas crashing (even through all the various layers of patches and fixes) is apparently some incredibly cursed engine-level fuckery where if you do the obscure and unthinkable act of attacking the same enemy as Rex, the game just explodes. Wow.

I've only had all of about 2-3 crashes otherwise, then suddenly started crashing all the time once I picked up Rex so I had a pretty good hunch already.