Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
uh that’s p much proving the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Wouldn't flatpak and the like solve this issue, if something really needs v.5.7.3 of a dependency for example, couldn't it just say, download 5.7.3 and don't even try to run my software with anything else.

I don't know if this is how flatpak works to be fair but that's the impression I've gotten.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kamrat posted:

Wouldn't flatpak and the like solve this issue, if something really needs v.5.7.3 of a dependency for example, couldn't it just say, download 5.7.3 and don't even try to run my software with anything else.

I don't know if this is how flatpak works to be fair but that's the impression I've gotten.

yes, flatpak lets you package up a userland including libc and run it under an arbitrary modern kernel. it's more or less a container (utilizes namespaces, etc) like docker. the major caveat is that you can't run a new glibc on an old kernel that way, but other way around is just fine.

even before the spiffy kernel features that enable flatpak and friends, you could accomplish the same goal (old glibc on a new kernel) via chroot.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yes, flatpak lets you package up a userland including libc and run it under an arbitrary modern kernel. it's more or less a container (utilizes namespaces, etc) like docker. the major caveat is that you can't run a new glibc on an old kernel that way, but other way around is just fine.

even before the spiffy kernel features that enable flatpak and friends, you could accomplish the same goal (old glibc on a new kernel) via chroot.

Couldn't you in theory then create a flatpak-installer for the old Loki-games and other old software that hasn't been updated?

If this is the case then backwards compatibility is finally a thing and all software released today using flatpak will forever work?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
you can pretty much cozpop a full userland anywhere you want so long as the binaries know where to look for it but that's not exactly a great solution

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah steam for linux uses containerized runtimes now, because the previous solution was to support a fork of ubuntu from 2012 forever. they use a fork of flatpak for this although idk maybe they're going to reintegrate it with upstream flatpak later.

then again it kinda sorta seems to pull in the nvidia or mesa runtime from the host os which makes things complicated.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

“only tux could go to china”

gematria: "nixon" is surely the american president with the shortest levenshtein distance from "linux"

and if the CCP decides to adopt nix-os specifically it'll be even more blatant that we live in a vm

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah steam for linux uses containerized runtimes now, because the previous solution was to support a fork of ubuntu from 2012 forever. they use a fork of flatpak for this although idk maybe they're going to reintegrate it with upstream flatpak later.

then again it kinda sorta seems to pull in the nvidia or mesa runtime from the host os which makes things complicated.

i mean flatpak or no, it's gonna still be linked against a specific library and god help you if the version number changes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

being a fan of the general idea of software durability is indeed what won me over to container solutions despite them being kind of icky on a technical level. electron clients and big container lump software distribution is hardly sexy, but it is certainly *extremely* good for linux as it solves a lot of longstanging issues while not particularly ruining anything other than nerd peace of mind.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

being a fan of the general idea of software durability is indeed what won me over to container solutions despite them being kind of icky on a technical level. electron clients and big container lump software distribution is hardly sexy, but it is certainly *extremely* good for linux as it solves a lot of longstanging issues while not particularly ruining anything other than nerd peace of mind.

yeah that's very true. i've gone on about the stupidity of containers within containers being containers all the way down on here before, but i can't deny they're useful af

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i still want to see the best of both worlds where fedora has its own flatpak repository that repackages upstream apps. those can still be built on top of the freedesktop or gnome flatpak runtimes aka i-can't-believe-it's-not-a-distributions but there needs to be a maintainer.

isvs being able to deliver software directly to users without having to go through a distro maintainer first is in fact not a good thing, and nor is flathub by extension.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I still find it kind of funny that Flatpak is named so because of Ikea furniture and the original developer's Swedish.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
yeah i mentioned before that i deployed homebridge on my home server via docker and a systemd unit file running docker-compose (yes i should switch to podman but :effort:)

its fantastic, gently caress no am i installing node.js on my actual system, keep that garbage encapsulated and invisible

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lysidas posted:

(yes i should switch to podman but :effort:)

its fantastic, gently caress no am i installing node.js on my actual system, keep that garbage encapsulated and invisible

lol, probably 70% of us still use sysv cron and init because :effort:

agreed the only good use for node is in a quarantine zone though

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sysv cron is fine and there's no reason to discard decades of experience and documentation for something shiny if sysv cron does the job well

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

sysv cron is fine and there's no reason to discard decades of experience and documentation for something shiny if sysv cron does the job well

for real, when people go "wtf why are you using that old poo poo" i never get a satisfactory answer to "well it might be old but why not?"

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
why ship anything on outdated trains when you can air freight everything now?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah lemme just discard this thing that works perfectly fine and replace it with something that has a billion man pages spread across like ten aliases for the same base binary

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
idk maybe because you want to spawn a systemd unit and all of the process supervision machinery that entails instead of having crond doing a basic-rear end fork/exec

maybe you want a retry policy

maybe you want to blur the startup time so that you don't have a thundering herd of too many jobs starting up at once

maybe you want timezone awareness on some tasks and utc scheduling for others

lots of things systemd timers can do that crond can't

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

isvs being able to deliver software directly to users without having to go through a distro maintainer first is in fact not a good thing,

this sure is a take

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sapozhnik posted:

idk maybe because you want to spawn a systemd unit and all of the process supervision machinery that entails instead of having crond doing a basic-rear end fork/exec

maybe you want a retry policy

maybe you want to blur the startup time so that you don't have a thundering herd of too many jobs starting up at once

maybe you want timezone awareness on some tasks and utc scheduling for others

lots of things systemd timers can do that crond can't

there are a lot of different ways to do (almost, process supervision w/o fork/exec being the exception) all of that with cron anyway though?

also why would you be using separate time formatting anyway? :confused:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

no one is saying that systemd timer functionality can be entirely supplanted by cron.

But if one line in a crontab will do you good, then there's no need to write a unit file and timer file for systemd

there's no need to replace all shell scripts with python files, when the bulk of the work is just chaining pipes and fork/exec

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cron is hosed up and anybody defending it ityool 2022 is extremely sus

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

no one is saying that systemd timer functionality can be entirely supplanted by cron.

But if one line in a crontab will do you good, then there's no need to write a unit file and timer file for systemd

there's no need to replace all shell scripts with python files, when the bulk of the work is just chaining pipes and fork/exec

exactly, i mean in the end we're just basically talking about shell scripts

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

there are a lot of different ways to do (almost, fork/exec being the exception) all of that with cron anyway though?

also why would you be using separate time formatting anyway? :confused:

I think the idea is to execute tasks relative to when the system starts up, rather than on boot itself

like a virus scanner or an indexer or whatever

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

I think the idea is to execute tasks relative to when the system starts up, rather than on boot itself

like a virus scanner or an indexer or whatever

while i can see that being a use case, not only can you query uptime but the system clock is most likely also utc (unless you're dual booting an old version of windows or something, i guess). so idk, maybe i'm missing something here

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

this sure is a take

your favorite company in the whole wide world agrees with me

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

while i can see that being a use case, not only can you query uptime but the system clock is most likely also utc (unless you're dual booting an old version of windows or something, i guess). so idk, maybe i'm missing something here

I'm not arguing there. But as the script gets complex, the argument starts to form around using systemd timers.

I'm content with leaving crontab stuff where they are now, but I'm still open to using systemd timers when it could be beneficial.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

I'm not arguing there. But as the script gets complex, the argument starts to form around using systemd timers.

I'm content with leaving crontab stuff where they are now, but I'm still open to using systemd timers when it could be beneficial.

i mean same, it's not like i'm some graybeard that absolutely refuses change lol. i just don't see a reason to change things needlessly

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

lol, probably 70% of us still use sysv cron and init because :corsair:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if you have to gently caress around with your system's init often enough that you have strong opinions on your system's init you've done something wrong

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

if you have to gently caress around with your system's init often enough that you have strong opinions on your system's init you've done something wrong

yeah, exactly. just use gnu screen to run all your production applications!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Its almost like there's a middle ground level-handed approach, as in all things :aaa:

If you got old poo poo that works in cron why update it, run it into dust with the silicon. If you're writing something new and can leverage a lot of the niceties systemd does for free, go hog wild. Who loving cares as long as you don't have to janitor it

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess I need to change a setting so linux will just kill firefox when I run out of memory so I don't have to run to hit alt+sysrq+f as fast as possible when it starts swapping

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mystes posted:

I guess I need to change a setting so linux will just kill firefox when I run out of memory so I don't have to run to hit alt+sysrq+f as fast as possible when it starts swapping

or buy some loving ram?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
how many tabs do you have open? it's ok, this is a safe space.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

how many tabs do you have open? it's ok, this is a safe space.
I have to admit that the one problem I have with i3 is that I tend to just accumulate open crap

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ideally firefox would support dbus activation, that way it could run as a user unit under systemd and have resource limits and io and vm prioritization applied to it.

gnome on fedora does have some "cgroupify" thing that makes it run inside a unit anyway but it's not quite as discoverable as having a /usr/lib/systemd/user/org.mozilla.Firefox.service

the distribution really ought to set a reasonable resource policy for firefox though, that way whenever firefox has a Little Moment and decides to start dirtying as many pages as it can allocate as quickly as possible it doesn't bring the entire user session down with it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

i'm not sure if it's the same thing you guys are talking about, but one of the few things i miss from win10 is being able to instantly and reliably kill apps

never had a problem with firefox, but i'm gaming on linux :rice: so i do sometimes have games with so-so proton/wine compatibility that choose to freeze or screw up in some other ways, and it feels like kill -9 is more of a gentle suggestion than anything

on windows even the basic task manager is usually enough to get rid of a misbehaving app, and i've literally never had a program not instantly die to superf4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

i definitely remember sometimes being unable to kill steam on windows without restarting the whole computer

i've never really understood why this is a thing that can happen