Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

ecureuilmatrix posted:

As a civilian, I wonder: how much are militaries worried about their fancy million-dollar equipment being vulnerable to <1000$ off-the-shelf drones?

It’s not fielded in the numbers needed for a massive complex war but it’s a huge area of concern. Army is the proponent branch.

https://www.army.mil/article/236713/army_announces_selection_of_interim_c_suas_systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well now.

https://twitter.com/USNavyEurope/status/1525804197127520256

And just when Sweden and Finland are about to send their applications. Such a coincidence.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ecureuilmatrix posted:

As a civilian, I wonder: how much are militaries worried about their fancy million-dollar equipment being vulnerable to <1000$ off-the-shelf drones?

It's a huge and recognized threat, fortunately counter UAS (anti-drone) systems are relatively cheap and flexible to develop compared to the typical military system development hell.

The USN/USMC have some really neat and effective systems, the cutting edge of which are still classified.

E:

DekeThornton posted:

Well now.

And just when Sweden and Finland are about to send their applications. Such a coincidence.

Ooh, nothing's guaranteed to rile the Kremlin up more than some US warships in the Baltic.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the answers everygoons.

Now I'm imagining pint-sized CIWS on everything.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arrath posted:

There's a joke in here that to make top attack munitions, the Americans invented a $120,000 thermal sight to launch $175,000 missiles.

Meanwhile, the Ukrainians strap standard mortar rounds of anti tank grenades to consumer dji drones.p

Yes yes this started in Syria, and that does not appear to be a drone you get from best buy don't ruin my joke okay.

To be fair, the Ukrainians really, really love the $295k missile systems, and want as many as they can get.

Odradek
May 23, 2007

Don't hate me because I'm cute
I just ordered a few items from Taktonik's Etsy page. Very distinctive and cool work! Thanks for providing the info.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I follow a maker from Germany, Taktonik. He makes wonderful upcycled bags and what not. I have...uh, a few of his bags. They are functional art to me, and I get a lot of compliments on them. I had no plans to buy a bag, but that pink digi-dazzle-whatever, was so loud I couldn't help myself. His stuff is about the most 'rich people' things my white trash rear end buys. I don't want to insult his talent- I just grew up in a world where having the disposable income to buy a nice, fun shopping was a luxury. Much less being able to buy a super nice one from an artist.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its a photoshop, but still

https://twitter.com/GBoyd1982/status/1525303502792433664

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

To be fair, the Ukrainians really, really love the $295k missile systems, and want as many as they can get.

Oh for sure.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

my kinda ape posted:

Absolutely catastrophic tank explosion caused by one of those mortar dropper drones:
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1525900772508061704

at least two of (presumably?) the crew aren't in it, they're actually dug in under it

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 15, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://twitter.com/hermeneutered/status/1525370611706519555?t=HxHMIcJC6sXLXL42rWo8Iw&s=19

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Odradek posted:

I just ordered a few items from Taktonik's Etsy page. Very distinctive and cool work! Thanks for providing the info.

That makes me happy!

I don't have a stake or anything, but dude has been nothing but awesome in every exchange, even when I bungled things- he actually refunded me a portion of shipping when I screwed up and overcharged myself. Which is a very legit thing to do. And his work is incredible.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Another mass shooting.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1525951622953697287?s=20&t=n1ebUor4rzA24fZxm3VXgQ

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Wrong thread for that one, I think

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I got excited thinking it was at the Kremlin

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Elviscat posted:

It's a huge and recognized threat, fortunately counter UAS (anti-drone) systems are relatively cheap and flexible to develop compared to the typical military system development hell.

The USN/USMC have some really neat and effective systems, the cutting edge of which are still classified.

As a shorad dummy, I wonder why the most common answer isn't a couple of cheap radars and a 20mm oerlikon

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DekeThornton posted:

Well now.

I believe this is what's known as a 'power move'.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Its definitely a "Don't loving think about doing anything, Vlad", move. As soon as the ink is dry on Sweden and Finland joining NATO, they fall under the NATO umbrella and are afforded all of the protections of the alliance, so it's basically just ensuring no little green men or sudden border conflicts occur.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kei Technical posted:

As a shorad dummy, I wonder why the most common answer isn't a couple of cheap radars and a 20mm oerlikon

Yes, 1955 era radar AAA would be an effective and inexpensive solution to small drones.

Except for that whole turning on a radar turns you into a homing beacon thing. Even as poorly as Russias doing Ukraine is still being very careful with illuminating themselves.

It’s even more effective l, cheaper and easier to detect a radar, triangulate on it and send some 152/155 at it than the drones are.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Murgos posted:

Yes, 1955 era radar AAA would be an effective and inexpensive solution to small drones.

Except for that whole turning on a radar turns you into a homing beacon thing. Even as poorly as Russias doing Ukraine is still being very careful with illuminating themselves.

It’s even more effective l, cheaper and easier to detect a radar, triangulate on it and send some 152/155 at it than the drones are.

Would LIDAR be effective enough at the ranges spotting drones operate at? Would they be difficult to direct counterbattery fire against?

not a value-add
Jan 17, 2019

The collision detection LiDAR systems in cars and stuff can only pick things up to a few hundred meters I believe. Not sure how far you could crank that up if you weren’t worried about blinding people within the beam arc, but given how small some of those little commercial drones are my hunch is that it would become unwieldy pretty fast. I don’t think we have any current C-UAS systems that use it.

As someone else posted, there’s actually a huge variety of dronebusters and other systems being fielded right now. It’s gotten to the point that it’s becoming a training and logistics issue, so it will be interesting to see where that all ends up in a decade or two.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The modern solution is a mmwave radar and some radar directed frangible autocannon rounds.

Mmwave, especially chirped, has poo poo range, but equally is nearly impossible to counter detect. The high frequency does give it exceptional positional accuracy though. Great for small fast moving objects. You've got 24, 42, and 77Ghz bands to pick from.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

The modern solution is a mmwave radar and some radar directed frangible autocannon rounds.

Mmwave, especially chirped, has poo poo range, but equally is nearly impossible to counter detect. The high frequency does give it exceptional positional accuracy though. Great for small fast moving objects. You've got 24, 42, and 77Ghz bands to pick from.

By poo poo range what do you mean? A few meters? A few hundred meters? One or two kilometers? The middle could be useful, and the latter ought to be sufficient for denying the space to the smaller low altitude drones that have been dominant in Ukraine.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

There are better ways to deal with drones then simply shooting them down, although that's always an option.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
#1 is always hire a falconer!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

lightpole posted:

#1 is always hire a falconer!

Yea the number of videos I’ve seen of “drones knocked down by birds” is impressive enough to wonder if that’s viable/scalable.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's viable and definitely is a thing, though efforts in that direction mostly go into making what are effectively drone-falcons afaik

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Elviscat posted:

There are better ways to deal with drones then simply shooting them down, although that's always an option.

Ehh. That was true of stuff like of the shelf djis but the moment a drone is designed for violence there is little to do but destroy it before I can deploy a payload. EW sucks at short range + electroptics/thermals

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea the number of videos I’ve seen of “drones knocked down by birds” is impressive enough to wonder if that’s viable/scalable.

Until the arms race progresses to switchblade style loitering drones detonating themselves when hit by a falcon, and its more scalable to produce the drones than it is to breed and train falcons.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It is already cheaper and easier to build drones than train animals. Same way the car replaced the horse.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Another consideration that came up earlier is that cheap drones are much more expendable than anything that involves putting a human in harm's way, so even if countermeasures become effective they aren't going to have the same deterrent effect that, say, an air-defense network has on the operations of manned aircraft. Obviously drones are still resources and you don't want to waste them, but I'd be pretty willing to assess the enemy's anti-drone capabilities in a given area by sending one in and seeing if it gets shot down.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Evolution of the warplane, this time without pilots.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Evolution of the warplane, this time without pilots.

Including cost death spiral.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

COTS drones with make shift ord has been a battlefield factor since the rise of ISIL. They had their drone program so tuned, that just the sound sent people to cover. They open sourced their tech, and it's only grown through the collective knowledge gained and shared in groups.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tiny Timbs posted:

Jesus Christ it almost took out the drone

RT: "russian tank damages UA drone"

psydude posted:

Using BTGs as a number is a bit misleading though. If I bring bring 24 wounded soldiers to a party, I can't call it a case of beer.

the alcohol content in russian soldiers would be far higher

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 16, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

M_Gargantua posted:

I mean I think a laser strong enough to damage a CCD would work pretty good in a pinch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcazcEDF0WY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa_tCzIMJjE

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
And roger.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ukranian dominance of the media war continues to amaze they are so good at this

https://twitter.com/BackAndAlive/status/1526137804073406464?s=20&t=xoFcHEnn2gHF_iDU0ZO_QQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Murgos posted:

Those gepard AAA vehicles that the Germans are sending to Ukraine look like they would be good at countering drones.