Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wasn’t clear. Seemed to be a free-standing one that had some enclosure built around it. Would y matter to me cause I’d pay someone to demolish it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

TerminalSaint posted:

No.

(The original photo didn't show the layout well, but a ramp with a reasonable slope would have blocked a door, protruded into the walkway in front of the workbench, and into my parking spot.)

Don’t know about your area but around here doors between attached garage and the living space have to meet certain fire code requirements. No gaps around, metal core and a self closer, that sort of thing. You’d need to change the door or drop the existing one down.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Buying in Massachusetts sounds like the worst ordeal ever. Paying as much as SFBA but without any disclosures, more rain, winters, and houses 50+ years older than the ones here… drat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m of half a mind to continue renting…if it wasn’t for the fact that renting means you live in the same kind of dump and can’t do anything about it.

It gets better as you get further out west.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pollyanna posted:

Because it looked nice from the photos but the photos don't tell you the whole story and realtors will realtor and you should never buy a house sight unseen? This is really not that out of the ordinary.

A 1600sq ft dilapidated house on the outskirts of Boston is $625K. I'm dumbfounded.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh ho ho ho trust me it gets fuckin nutty here.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Lol the garage Jesus Christ

Would an appraiser flag that as a significant enough defect to hold up financing?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

E: misread. Possibly, dunno.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wish I could’ve waived my mortgage appraisal

Some appraisers may not care. A VA or FHA appraiser would.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:cripes: Man I keep making that same stupid newbie mistake. More specifically, people are waiving mortgage appraisal gap clauses and conditions here, so it may not tank a deal.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

CarForumPoster posted:

A 1600sq ft dilapidated house on the outskirts of Boston is $625K. I'm dumbfounded.

for boston area that's a steal
:wrongcity:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No, seriously, that’s considered massively cheap. :suicide:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Lol the garage Jesus Christ

Would an appraiser flag that as a significant enough defect to hold up financing?

Outbuildings like that wouldn't be appraised for much compared to the land and house (regardless of condition) but I absolutely would be concerned about insurance. That thing looks like a hazard and if its collapse zone could potentially be off the property lines and/or into some other structure it's even worse.

Also, if you're in a place that required a certificate of occupancy or similar upon transfer you might be in for a nasty surprise from the building department about what you MUST do pretty immediately.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the POs have been sitting on city notices for a while now and are hoping their flight to Cali will excuse them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
A hot tub is a perfect opportunity to install an EV charger, and pay someone to haul off the hot tub.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bold of you to assume it’s correctly wired and not just an extension cord into the basement.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I remember back in 2017 a house in Melrose MA burned down and the postage stamp lot sold for over 800k. Location location location.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It wasn’t even a very good location.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even if the selling agent isn't getting you info you want before you show up, it's 2022. The majority of houses are going to have imagery available on some combination of Google Maps (satellite or street view), Bing Maps (satellite, aerial, street view), and perhaps your municipality's GIS. Where I'm at it's county-based GIS, looks like out there it's state-level but with fairly poor resolution available. Better yet, you might even have a range of dates worth of imagery across all of these.

That particular house you can see from both the front and back on Google Maps, and it looks like that garage has been ready to collapse for at least three years now.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Biggest challenge to redoing floors is figuring out where the gently caress to put all the furniture during the process.

Once my family leaves and goes back home, I'm gonna regret my life choices start tearing up carpet and figuring out how many bodies are buried beneath the padding.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sundae posted:

Biggest challenge to redoing floors is figuring out where the gently caress to put all the furniture during the process.

Once my family leaves and goes back home, I'm gonna regret my life choices start tearing up carpet and figuring out how many bodies are buried beneath the padding.

If you can afford it and it is >1000 sq ft of flooring just pay someone man. I installed all our LVP floors before we moved in and it was NOT worth it. I do almost 100% of the work on my house but man...large areas of flooring is for people under the age of 30.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

You can call a moving company and get a quote for storage and replacement after the work is done. I know for our big boy moving companies here that is not an uncommon request.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

No, seriously, that’s considered massively cheap. :suicide:

In my experience, in life, but especially in housing, you get what you pay for

There are A, B and C properties. That is probably a B or B-. A lot of "A" properties never hit the market - they're that good - there's a buyer with cash in hand waiting for the owner to fulfill their promise 30 years ago to sell to the guy when they were ready to move. Stuff on Zillow, MLS etc are generally A-, B+ and B properties. "Massively Cheap" properties typically have weird poo poo like, yeah, the garage is probably getting condemened the day after your closing paperwork ink dries, or weird layout (layout in this case seemed fine). Often times it's two blocks past the good part of the neighborhood on the street, or whatever.

I'll buck the trend and say the house is fine, extra points for matching the fake shutters and landscaping with that (japanese maple?) tree with red leaves. Garage is absolutely a total tear down, but garages aren't prohibitively expensive to build. Given the housing shortage, you might be able to talk the city into permitting a mother-in-law suite to be built above the garage, which would really improve the value of the house, as well as provide some income to offset housing expenses. Water heaters are like a $1000 ticket item, which while not cheap, not a deal breaker for someone working in tech. I know nothing about oil heating except that it's popular in climates I am unwilling to live in so I can't speak to that. Seems expensive. I would go in to that deal expecting to pay 20% the initial price in additional deferred maintenance over 10 years.

Sounds like you are looking for a 100% turn-key property with no deferred maintenance. You might look into a 3 bedroom condo.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Sundae posted:

This is also an issue for me. If I could turn the clock back two years, I'd just stay in my old house for a few months longer and do the renovations on my new house before moving in, rather than taking care of everything while I live here. I guess that's a lesson learned for my next house purchase in a few years.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The house we’re moving into has hardwood flooring in everything except the kitchen/bathrooms (linoleum) and bedrooms (carpet).

Assuming there is hardwood flooring under the carpet, what’s involved in just going back to hardwood? When I was there for the inspection, the carpet isn’t completely trashed but it’s not new.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pull up carpet pull up tack strips pull up 10000 loving staples, refinish floor.by sanding, staining and putting poly over it.

Any time you put rug over hardwood it kills it. The pad sands the floor, so it'll need to be refinished.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hadlock posted:

In my experience, in life, but especially in housing, you get what you pay for

There are A, B and C properties. That is probably a B or B-. A lot of "A" properties never hit the market - they're that good - there's a buyer with cash in hand waiting for the owner to fulfill their promise 30 years ago to sell to the guy when they were ready to move. Stuff on Zillow, MLS etc are generally A-, B+ and B properties. "Massively Cheap" properties typically have weird poo poo like, yeah, the garage is probably getting condemened the day after your closing paperwork ink dries, or weird layout (layout in this case seemed fine). Often times it's two blocks past the good part of the neighborhood on the street, or whatever.

I'll buck the trend and say the house is fine, extra points for matching the fake shutters and landscaping with that (japanese maple?) tree with red leaves. Garage is absolutely a total tear down, but garages aren't prohibitively expensive to build. Given the housing shortage, you might be able to talk the city into permitting a mother-in-law suite to be built above the garage, which would really improve the value of the house, as well as provide some income to offset housing expenses. Water heaters are like a $1000 ticket item, which while not cheap, not a deal breaker for someone working in tech. I know nothing about oil heating except that it's popular in climates I am unwilling to live in so I can't speak to that. Seems expensive. I would go in to that deal expecting to pay 20% the initial price in additional deferred maintenance over 10 years.

Sounds like you are looking for a 100% turn-key property with no deferred maintenance. You might look into a 3 bedroom condo.

I’m fine with addressing deferred maintenance from POs, as long as nothing is fundamentally or irreversibly screwed. I’m even fine with a fair amount of maintenance that needs to be spaced out over time, I can save up for it.

But the state of that garage is a step beyond, and makes me worry about what else has been allowed to rot so much that I can’t immediately find. Especially right now, when GCs are expensive and hard to get ahold of.

And a condo is tempting, to be honest, but condo prices in this area are so high for getting so little that you may as well buy your own house. Or may as well continue renting.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

If you can afford it and it is >1000 sq ft of flooring just pay someone man. I installed all our LVP floors before we moved in and it was NOT worth it. I do almost 100% of the work on my house but man...large areas of flooring is for people under the age of 30.

I pulled up about 3 feet of carpet, had to get a tetanus shot, AND got pinkeye (wearing eyepro but not full goggles I guess) so now I'm at gently caress it, I'm paying someone. I just need it ripped up, there's nice hardwood under it.

Slate Slabrock fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 16, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Pollyanna posted:

I’m fine with addressing deferred maintenance from POs, as long as nothing is fundamentally or irreversibly screwed. I’m even fine with a fair amount of maintenance that needs to be spaced out over time, I can save up for it.

But the state of that garage is a step beyond, and makes me worry about what else has been allowed to rot so much that I can’t immediately find. Especially right now, when GCs are expensive and hard to get ahold of.

And a condo is tempting, to be honest, but condo prices in this area are so high for getting so little that you may as well buy your own house. Or may as well continue renting.

Sometimes it just is what it is. A lot of your posts could be summed up with “I’m unhappy with what I get for my money in this market.”

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh gently caress yes, that’s for sure. I hate that Boston requires you to choose between sacrificing time and comfort. I’d be out west if it didn’t take an hour+ in the morning to get into the office.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

It's a living room area in a condo. Wide open, mostly rectangular (I bet I'll find out how non-rectangular it is the moment I start doing double-checking the measurements), about 300 square feet. The problem I'm running into is that the labor costs are insane right now. Home Depot and Lowes are reasonable price-quotes (but the quality you get tends to be unpredictable), and everyone else is quoting me over $10 per square foot for labor alone. :stonk: I can afford it, but I don't want to afford it.

quote:

Sometimes it just is what it is. A lot of your posts could be summed up with “I’m unhappy with what I get for my money in this market.”

I agree with you on this. The Boston area is absolute poo poo to buy in right now. So many of my friends ended up living / buying there recently, and even the ones with high-paying jobs came out unhappy with their purchases. They're happy to have a place, yes, but it's one of those bittersweet "yay, but jfc look what it cost us / what we got for it" kind of things.

If Polyanna wants to buy in the Boston metro area right now, a poo poo-sandwich will be eaten one way or another. :(

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Oh gently caress yes, that’s for sure. I hate that Boston requires you to choose between sacrificing time and comfort. I’d be out west if it didn’t take an hour+ in the morning to get into the office.

That's the trade off though isn't it. Re: condo we bought our 3bd/2ba condo 8 blocks from my wife's office and ~16 blocks from mine (~pre pandemic, anyways) and really enjoyed the flexibility of being a 10-20 minute walk from the house/office. There's a tremendous amount of value in that kind of proximity to everything. Being able to delete more than 10 min a day on public transit (or going to 0 min a day on PT) is worth a lot. Huge boost to quality of life

The value drops off if you have kids though (or plan on having them in the next ~3 years), as you don't get a yard with most condos. My kid recently gained a very tiny amount of autonomy and I'm very glad we have a yard in the house we recently moved to

If you're planning on not having kids soon the condo isn't a terrible option as at least it puts you on the property ladder, and you've locked in now before inflation and interest rates really start to take off. In three years you can swap to a house, probably (past results don't guarantee future results...)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

E: this is a better discussion for elsewhere.

Actually, gently caress it, I’ll cover it here. I agree that the Boston housing market has been quite dire, and I’ve considered shrugging and continuing to rent my little sub-average rent 1br hovel unless/until I go full WFH and can move out further west. The one saving grace is that at least I still have the equity I paid into a property, so I can always start trading up if/when I think it’s time for a nicer or different place.

But I don’t think Boston is ever not going to be disgusting.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 16, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

House ownership: I CAN afford but I don't WANT to afford it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

But I don’t think Boston is ever not going to be disgusting.

Cities.txt

tater_salad posted:

House ownership: I CAN afford but I don't WANT to afford it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

no access to the attic whatsoever (just a panel dropped over a square hole in the ceiling)

That's access to the attic, it's typical for California homes. Bearing in mind in this case the attic is unfinished space, it's not a place to store things, you get a ladder and go through the hole when you need to do some sort of servicing - wiring, hvac ducting, insulation, inspect the roof for leaks, etc. I realize you're not buying that dump, but for the future: you don't need to add like a pull-down stairway or whatever if you have an unfinished attic space you're not intending to finish and inhabit in some way. You just need an ~8 foot ladder, which you'll need as a homeowner regardless.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yes but consider: gently caress hauling a ladder up the stairs. :v:

Anyway I’m from Florida, attics and basements are enigmas to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My aluminum ladder is light enough to carry with one hand, it's really far easier to tote around than, say, furniture or a mattress or something.

e. this ladder
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-360-8-ft-Aluminum-Type-1-250-lbs-Capacity-Step-Ladder/3048119
weighs 21 lbs.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pollyanna posted:

Yes but consider: gently caress hauling a ladder up the stairs. :v:

Anyway I’m from Florida, attics and basements are enigmas to me.

I was doing work in my stairwell and had the fun opportunity to carry the little giant up and down and set it up straight, then reset to uneven and back while mudding the ceiling.

I got stronger quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Pollyanna posted:

Whether it’s located in freezing-rear end Greater Boston or not.
I moved from NH to Alberta and I see way more hot tubs up here. I also see way more confederate flags, so "dipshit" is definitely the correct modifier.

iv46vi posted:

Don’t know about your area but around here doors between attached garage and the living space have to meet certain fire code requirements. No gaps around, metal core and a self closer, that sort of thing. You’d need to change the door or drop the existing one down.

TerminalSaint posted:

detached garage