Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Cathie Wood is so dumb, I wish she would go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Dick Jones posted:

Simon Rex outlined this exact scenario months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opMqdCchW_0

This drunk driver shouldn’t be on the road.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

:lol:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bitcoin has been at that $30k "floor" for a week now. I know we all want to see everything as a bad sign for crypto, but the fact that they haven't been able (or willing) to bounce it makes it seem like the party may be over.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Don't care if it is fake, I still lolled

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh my god dude

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Zil posted:

Don't care if it is fake, I still lolled

loving LOL

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

latinotwink1997 posted:

Finally convinced my close friends last year to sell all their ARK stuff by linking an interview where she says that Jesus tells her every day what to buy and sell in her private conversations with him and God. Apparently, the name ARK wasn't a clue enough that she's a crazy fundie who got very lucky with Tesla.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 16, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Rad Russian posted:

Finally convinced my close friends last year to sell all their ARK stuff by linking an interview where she says that Jesus tells her every day what to buy and sell in her private conversations with him and God. Apparently, the name ARK wasn't a clue enough that she's a crazy fundie who got very lucky with Tesla.

:stare:

Ok I didn't know this tbh

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rad Russian posted:

Oh goddamn it. I just noticed I own some ARK, I just wanted to invest in genomics companies, because it's novel technology that serves an actual function.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Oh goddamn it. I just noticed I own some ARK, I just wanted to invest in genomics companies, because it's novel technology that serves an actual function.

Same here. Not the fund, but I bought a genomics company in 2020 way before ARK did and was appalled when I discovered her and this company in her fund. I guess she boosted it last year, though.

I cringe when something like genomics, which has more or less cured people already, is uttered in the same breath as Blockchain or ponzi coins. Though I've noticed a lot of the online genomics pumpers are Wood and ARK and Bitcoin fans. I guess it's the looking for 10x returns that we all have in common.

small butter fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 16, 2022

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Bitcoin has been at that $30k "floor" for a week now. I know we all want to see everything as a bad sign for crypto, but the fact that they haven't been able (or willing) to bounce it makes it seem like the party may be over.

Without going all ghosttty, in reality the market is *really, really bearish*, but there is still a possibility of some form of relief rally before we go to down. One final exit rally. But in the end, yes we are likely to go to a low price for a long while.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

latinotwink1997 posted:

its very funny to me that things have been getting exponentially worse for her fund ever since she did an interview where she clarified that ARK is named after the biblical ark, that it is a faith-based ETF and that her trades are guided by god

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1526190005789642752

Here's the article, if anyone's interested

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Who was it who said that the cryptobros are speedrunning the history of finance? Cause that's a really good way of describing what's going on here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Without going all ghosttty, in reality the market is *really, really bearish*, but there is still a possibility of some form of relief rally before we go to down. One final exit rally. But in the end, yes we are likely to go to a low price for a long while.

The pattern for the past year or two has been bitcoin goes up to $50k+ then the price suddenly cashes and comes to a dead stop at $30k almost exactly. The $30k price lasts for a day or two as the money printer is fired up and then bitcoin prices start going up again. The longer hold at the price they won't let bitcoin go below just feels ominous. I was expecting bitcoin to have started going back up by now as they pump it for at least one more round of extraction.

You're right, though. Trying to outguess a corrupt con game isn't really possible. Maybe the pump is delayed as they sort out what to do with the unstable stable coins. Or maybe the guy who knows where the toner is for the money printer is on vacation. Keeping the con going is pretty likely; I was just noticing that the con has stalled for the moment.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

Who was it who said that the cryptobros are speedrunning the history of finance? Cause that's a really good way of describing what's going on here.

It was the guy on that Current Affairs interview, and he really hit the nail on the head
(actually, he hit lots of nail heads)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Supposedly real this time

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
After bitcoins revolutionary “insurance” idea, next up should be “an offline currency” for situations where one cannot be connected to the internet, or would prefer the speed to just handing over their coins physically. Truly revolutionize finance

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Instead of random sketchy exchanges on the internet who have an average lifespan of like 2 years before they disappear with all your money, they should make a heavily Federally regulated Crypto-Bank (Crank) that deals with all your crypto storage and borrowing needs.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Inn-Sewer-Ants???

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Random Stranger posted:

The pattern for the past year or two has been bitcoin goes up to $50k+ then the price suddenly cashes and comes to a dead stop at $30k almost exactly. The $30k price lasts for a day or two as the money printer is fired up and then bitcoin prices start going up again. The longer hold at the price they won't let bitcoin go below just feels ominous. I was expecting bitcoin to have started going back up by now as they pump it for at least one more round of extraction.

You're right, though. Trying to outguess a corrupt con game isn't really possible. Maybe the pump is delayed as they sort out what to do with the unstable stable coins. Or maybe the guy who knows where the toner is for the money printer is on vacation. Keeping the con going is pretty likely; I was just noticing that the con has stalled for the moment.

They've been able to restart the scam again after the last few crashes because most people weren't paying attention. With everything they've done in the past year or so to get new suckers in, it's not clear that that's going to work again.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

how do they intend to tell the difference between small time investors with a single wallet, and crypto whales who have split their holdings between a thousand wallets

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

repiv posted:

how do they intend to tell the difference between small time investors with a single wallet, and crypto whales who have split their holdings between a thousand wallets

A revolutionary new idea. I call it “identity verification”

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You know what would make crypto perfect? A centralized authority.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Normally they print a bunch of tether to pump up the price. I suspect how they run it is, they print a bunch of tether, give it to some entity, which writes them an iou of the equivalent money, and then that entity buys bitcoin. Tether then claims that the tethers are "backed" by that iou (which is itself backed by bitcoin). Regardless of the details, i think ultimately the majority of tether is "backed" by bitcoin

But the market cap of tether is dropping, not increasing. I suspect the issue is that tether is below the $1 peg and has been for a while. With everyone spooked following what happened to ust, the last thing tether wants is a bank run on tether, which could crash the whole market (especially since the bitcoin backing tether has dropped in value so much). So they're not going to risk printing a bunch of tether to pump up bitcoin right now, which could send the price lower. Instead it looks like bitcoin is being sold and cashed out, reducing the tether supply in an effort to keep it at the peg.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Whatever's been happening to Tether, it's been happening through a series of large market moves and is not a constant, ongoing slip or something.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Whatever's been happening to Tether, it's been happening through a series of large market moves and is not a constant, ongoing slip or something.

Slowly boiling the frog so the bag holders won't notice.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think that's partially due to how tether processes cashing out, you need some impractically large number before they'll do it. that keeps most of the long tail of tether holders from ever reasonably cashing out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is the Tether market cap contracting so it can hold its peg value? Seems equally bad just a way to hide it from people freaking out that 1Tether != 1USD

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Zil posted:

Supposedly real this time

That runner who is just standing there.

I like to think he's a crypto bro who was so offended by the sign that he just had to stop and seethe at it for a minute.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Zil posted:

Slowly boiling the frog so the bag holders won't notice.

eventually crypto will be a monthly service, you workcell during the day to pay for it, and in exchange the line will go up on your screen.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Work all day flipping burgers to get paid in McCoins (tm). A new crypto with great fundamentals. Many people are saying it's the next moonshot ;).
The price of McCoins is tied to Smiles Served, and for some reason it dips right before payday about half the time, but hey that's cryptos for you ;) ;)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

Not only are they spredrunning it but they are now in new game+ without having learned a single drat thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

priznat posted:

Is the Tether market cap contracting so it can hold its peg value? Seems equally bad just a way to hide it from people freaking out that 1Tether != 1USD

The mechanism that can make tether shake like this is people moving away from it (probably cashing out). They're willing to take $9950 for their $10000 in tether.

I think it's important to keep in mind that tether is wobbling but not falling yet. When tether falls (and it is "when" not if) it's going to crash so hard it'll make the dinosaurs go extinct a second time. So we're all on the edge of our seats waiting for that, but it's not happening yet.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

another amazing collection of unique digital artworks
https://twitter.com/HangryHippoNFT/status/1519110428416118784

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Juul-Whip posted:

another amazing collection of unique digital artworks
https://twitter.com/HangryHippoNFT/status/1519110428416118784

I wonder if twītting a bunch at hasbro asking if they're behind this/if it's related to hungry hippos would make their legal team take notice

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

I wonder if twītting a bunch at hasbro asking if they're behind this/if it's related to hungry hippos would make their legal team take notice

It's crypto, baby, the law can't touch it! Yeeehaw *shoots revolvers into the air*

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Adolf Glitter posted:

It was the guy on that Current Affairs interview, and he really hit the nail on the head
(actually, he hit lots of nail heads)

the observation has been made many many times before, including ITT

(The Nicholas Weaver guy was dropping so many memes that I expected him to end the interview with "did anyone say buttcoin?" or possibly "yospos bitch!")

priznat posted:

It's contracting because they're "unprinting" Tethers. Presumably at least some of it is from other big players, ie other exchanges, handing a block of 100s of millions of tether to the Bitfinex/Tether company, and getting real dollars back (presumably). Those tethers are then sent to a black hole, effectively deleting them.

But also I would bet a lot of it is funny-money that Bitfinex itself printed, owned, and used to manipulate markets / make money from arbitrage on the price differences between exchanges. You don't need backing for your $1 IOUs if you buy them back for 95 cents and then tear it up.

Showing that billions of tethers are being unprinted is how you restore confidence in your stablecoin: that must means that the backer has billions of dollars to give out, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at the lifeless eyeballs.