Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
There are established multi splitter setups for up to 32x32. I used to be able to build the 8x8 from memory, but I no longer build factories in ways that need those.

Anyways, the most critical measurement is the throughput from any 1 input to any 1 output, with all other inputs empty and all other outputs blocked. The next difficult is 2 to 2.

And, of course you can build much simpler things now that we have priority splitters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I have balancers, I'm looking for a tap/split-off that will draw evenly from all lanes without blocking any when the extra output belt is full.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Do balancers ever do anything? In other words, is it ever the case that, modulo ores running out, the ratio between the amount of science produced by a factory with balancers and the amount of science produced by that same factory without balancers does not approach 1 as time approaches infinity?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Belt balancing is mostly aesthetic, but slightly future proofing as your bus gets longer and you keep adding intermittent loads and don't want anything to not produce at max rate. But if you feed 8 blue belts into your bus you really should expect to have less than half that soon enough.

If you have stuff that's a guaranteed fixed load, like green chips or engines, those should have dedicated belts.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Balancers are important for things like loading/unloading trains, because you don't want a waiting train with 3 empty wagons and one full one because the supply or demand is uneven.
Spamming balancers everywhere just to make things look pretty or to hide supply problems is useless at best and can actively decrease performance because not all balancer designs are throughput unlimited.
That means that even though a balancer has e.g. 8 inputs and 8 outputs and will perfectly balance the inputs across all outputs, it's possible that you can get less than 8 belts though it at once because of bottlenecks in the balancer itself.

e: this might be useful: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/u7zv6d/balancer_book_update_spring_2022/

quote:

Factorio-SAT is a program that generates compact layout for balancers. It is the biggest balancer innovation in years. Many people have attempted to create such a program, but no one has succeeded, until R_O_C_K_E_T came along. He accomplishes this by reducing the balancer layout problem to SAT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_satisfiability_problem) , then feed it to a SAT solver to get the solutions.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 16, 2022

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It should also be noted that balancers are horrendous for game performance once you get to a certain scale. There are places where it's hard to avoid them but generally it's better to find other solutions to your problem.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
8x8 blues are getting to the size where you really should be shifting from belt bus to a train + isolated logistic bot islands system

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I do wish you could set logistics zones without having to physically separate the roboports.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

If your entire map isn't one enormous logistics zone are you even playing factorio?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I did that once and sent my bots into an infinite loop over the ocean because they only path in straight lines.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Not paving the ocean sounds like a you problem.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I started playing Factorio in multiplayer with an experienced friend and another new player last night. The experienced player let us bumble our way to some early automation with the burners whilst we mass produced electric drills, then they gave us a little crash course in creating what I assume is a starter bus. After a few hours we had what feels like a decent start to our factory with a lot of plans in place to expand and fully automate red and green research.

Needless to say I started my own single player factory tonight. My baby base has cobbled together enough resources that the next time I play I'm going to try and piece together my own bus. Luckily I like spaghetti, so what's the worst that can happen?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I also usually do the one big logistics zone and have the exact same water based problems. For those who keep separate logistics zones, how do you link them? buffer chests in each zone linked by belts?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Phobeste posted:

I also usually do the one big logistics zone and have the exact same water based problems. For those who keep separate logistics zones, how do you link them? buffer chests in each zone linked by belts?

Either a requester/passive provider pairing linked by belt, or a train.

I also tend to have it so I'll have one logistics bot network that covers the entirety of a single production chain. Like a train served chip production plant. Trains drop off everything needed for green to blue chips, bots and pipes do everything in the giant block, and then trains carry off three delicious flavors of circuits.

Then I put a wall around the whole block with gates and railroad crossings.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

And if it's for letting bots build stuff, you can make a building train instead of letting bots carry everything across the whole map. Bonus points if you also make a way to clean everything up and bring the leftover items back home once the bots are done building.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Taffer posted:

It should also be noted that balancers are horrendous for game performance once you get to a certain scale. There are places where it's hard to avoid them but generally it's better to find other solutions to your problem.

I've always hated balancers for some reason, and at some point in the distant past I became a filthy cheater and I just use merging chests with loaders instead (or sometimes warehouses instead of merging chests depending on what modpack I'm playing) of balancers pretty much everywhere.

I actually have no idea if merged chests with loaders are better or worse for performance, but they sure make life easier and I don't have to keep referring to blueprints to plop down complicated balancer setups.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Does that properly balance? Nothing would enforce pull rates of the loaders are equal

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

load balancers are fun and cool, the moment you need to use one is the moment you know your factory is officially "somewhat large"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If you use warehouses and loaders you don't need to balance anything. Busses suck for anything but small quantity mixed production

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Here's 600spm bus-based. Everything sciency is vanilla, only mods are visual/QoL/extended researches:

Everything on the left is "small quantity mixed production" (aka the mall) but everything on the right is all science parts and packs. Smelters were originally onsite but later switched to remote, now the stations that used to drop off ores instead drop off plates, but there's no reason why those couldn't still be on site and going directly to the bus. Without the mall there, this could easily support 1kspm. Here's all the bus splits for red/green/military/blue science:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

necrotic posted:

Does that properly balance? Nothing would enforce pull rates of the loaders are equal

It's always seemed to work fine to me, but I'm not sure I have ever really cared about pull rates so much as output balancing which it does perfectly at least visually.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Phobeste posted:

You don't link them. Bot zones should be of a size where any request can be met in a reasonable time to limit bot shortages and power use and flight time. A central mall where you produce stuff you need nearby your production of the more complex items and science, with everything else (circuits, plates, etc) produced in isolated modules that get brought in by train.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Not only was that basically done already, someone figured out the absolute minimum amount of time it would take, assuming perfect play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZY96I842YA

There's also this, which was an amazing watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFC7ez1bgnQ

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

The Locator posted:

It's always seemed to work fine to me, but I'm not sure I have ever really cared about pull rates so much as output balancing which it does perfectly at least visually.

Neat. I guess enough stuff under the hood has changed, in the past you could easily have an unbalanced pull on the source belts if they weren’t able to keep entering the chest at full throughput, as well as the other way around.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

necrotic posted:

Neat. I guess enough stuff under the hood has changed, in the past you could easily have an unbalanced pull on the source belts if they weren’t able to keep entering the chest at full throughput, as well as the other way around.

That may be true, but I am too lazy and dumb to figure out how to test whether pull-rate is balanced using warehouses (or merged chests) and loaders.

In places where this might matter, like a train unloading station, I keep this from happening by making sure that no train is requested unless there is room in the warehouse (chest) for at least 1 entire trainload of material, preventing any possible issues caused by unequal pull-rates on the train unloading belts.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

can someone help me?I feel like the solution to this is going to be something really obvious and dumb

I have 3 oil pumps sending crude to 1 refinery sending oil to 3 plants making plastic. All of a sudden production seems to have dropped off. Everything seems to be fully electrically powered. The fuel in the pipes seems really low though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are you still on basic oil processing? Or did you switch to advanced?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Check the oil wells. They can run out, which means they only output a fraction of their initial value (but they will never go down to 0)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

massive spider posted:

can someone help me?I feel like the solution to this is going to be something really obvious and dumb

I have 3 oil pumps sending crude to 1 refinery sending oil to 3 plants making plastic. All of a sudden production seems to have dropped off. Everything seems to be fully electrically powered. The fuel in the pipes seems really low though.

Did you run out of oil? Not sure how it works currently, but in the old days, old fields steadily dropped their yield until a certain minimum threshold but still kept on pumping.

Alternatively, you're not consuming enough of one of your refinery resources and your pipeline has stalled.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tamba posted:

(but they will never go down to 0)

I understand why this happens, but I have always hated this feature. Just let me drain that thing dry so I can see it's stuck and disassemble the whole operation.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

xzzy posted:

I understand why this happens, but I have always hated this feature. Just let me drain that thing dry so I can see it's stuck and disassemble the whole operation.

That seems like it would be pretty reasonable to mod, if such a mod doesn’t exist already. Given some initial rate of extraction, you can calculate how much oil you would get from it in the time it is would take to bring it to ~5% of its initial rate, and set that amount to the oil well’s total reserves.

The extraction rate of these could either be kept constant, or get slower as it empties. Just not exponentially slower so it will actually empty.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I did that once while messing with pseudo-infinite resources (i.e. every tile of ore has a million ore in it or whatever). Turns out the default oil having 24,000% or whatever matters because the extraction rate is proportional to that vs 100%. Quantity-based oil deposits always harvest at 100% which is very slow.

Conversely you can get absolutely comical amounts of ore by giving ore super high percentages instead of fixed quantities because mines scale the same way.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Oh Jesus, is that what’s happening? I did a basic rail system for my oil supply and noticed it was spending 99% of its time acting as an extra storage tank since my consumption rate was so low and refills were so fast. I was playing with railway options since I was thinking of branching it to supply an offshoot mini-factory I wanted to build elsewhere and noticed it was taking for-loving-ever to reload the train when I sent it back a little early. I wasn’t sure if that was a new problem or if it just always took ages to fill the oil field buffer tanks and I didn’t notice since time between trips was so long.

I suppose I’m still building the railway with oil flow going the opposite of what I thought and then adding some logic so trains only visit the crap field once it builds up enough supply to fill a train’s worth.

yook fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 17, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

yook posted:

Oh Jesus, is that what’s happening? I did a basic rail system for my oil supply and noticed it was spending 99% of its time acting as an extra storage tank since my consumption rate was so low and refills were so fast. I was playing with railway options since I was thinking of branching it to supply an offshoot mini-factory I wanted to build elsewhere and noticed it was taking for-loving-ever to reload the train when I sent it back a little early. I wasn’t sure if that was a new problem or if it just always took ages to fill the oil field buffer tanks and I didn’t notice since time between trips was so long.

I suppose I’m still building the railway with oil flow going the opposite of what I thought and then adding some logic so trains only visit the crap field once it builds up enough supply to fill a train’s worth.

If the oil field is producing oil faster than you can use it, it should be safe to just set a couple trains on "wait until full". In general there's no harm in having trains wait at a loading station.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

xzzy posted:

K2 does this, it's a huge improvement.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I always liked oilfields producing forever; remember mining productivity also affects them, and you can throw speed modules/beacons in/around them very lategame. Since they produce forever, the return on investment for modules/beacons just grows the longer you play. Most wells seem to bottom out around 2/sec; with 300% mining prod, 2x speed 3 modules and a conservative average of 2 beacons per pumpjack, one well can be putting out 24 oil/sec; a field of a dozen splotches will then fill a train in under 2 minutes, and that's with a fully depleted patch. Bigger, more remote patches will produce even more and have a higher floor. If the patch never drying up and being forever "in the way" bothers you, I guess you could just pave over it (or use ore eraser or a similar mod when they reach minimum production). That's actually one thing I wish Factorio would take from DSP, the ability to just concrete over resource patches you don't want to see.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Freaksaus posted:

There's also this, which was an amazing watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFC7ez1bgnQ

Pffft, his mining stack is weak. This is what true efficiency looks like

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

KillHour posted:

Pffft, his mining stack is weak. This is what true efficiency looks like

Dear lord

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I don't know how I managed to get myself stranded. I got on the island, surely I can get back off again?

Now waiting for construction bots to build a chain of roboports about 3km out from my main base so I can get rescued.
e: Got out of this with a spare spidertron that I called over to set a logistic request for landfill, sent back to the main base, and then called it back.

Finding out the hard way that you shouldn't flip a blueprint if it depends on inserter lane output behavior.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

Taffer posted:

You don't link them. Bot zones should be of a size where any request can be met in a reasonable time to limit bot shortages and power use and flight time. A central mall where you produce stuff you need nearby your production of the more complex items and science, with everything else (circuits, plates, etc) produced in isolated modules that get brought in by train.

What do you for when you need bots to repair walls and turrets on the perimeter? This is the main reason why I set up one giant connected zone.