Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Apparently Spokane, Washington is overrun with Yellow-Bellied Marmots, which are a kind of groundhog. We did not know this, while staying overnight at a hotel there we went for a little walk and my wife spotted a critter living in this rocky embankment:

A little googling turned it up. Apparently they're quite the nuisance. I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

gosh i almost couldn't find him in the pic! what a cutie though.

it's sad whenever pests are adorable. on the one hand, you need to protect your native ecology. on the other...cute!!!

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Some recent pictures from around my house:

Lovely Regal Jumping Spider. He was very camera shy, but finally came out. He would hide back in the window gap if I got any closer.

Robin trying to take a bath, with two voyeurs. I think the sparrows just liked getting splashed on.

House Wren working on a home. We have a pair that keep coming back every year to our yard.

Big Chongus Lady doing some work. I love how she has pollen literally all over herself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

gosh i almost couldn't find him in the pic! what a cutie though.

it's sad whenever pests are adorable. on the one hand, you need to protect your native ecology. on the other...cute!!!

Yeah they'd be fine if Spokane still had a healthy population of wolves and coyotes and bobcats etc. but y'know, it's a city so they don't. I'm still rooting for the marmots though.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Apparently Spokane, Washington is overrun with Yellow-Bellied Marmots, which are a kind of groundhog. We did not know this, while staying overnight at a hotel there we went for a little walk and my wife spotted a critter living in this rocky embankment:

A little googling turned it up. Apparently they're quite the nuisance. I love them.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Stopped for a river swim yesterday and came across an orgy. Still went in the water, it was a beautiful day.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Horseshoe crabs?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I thought maybe Triops, but those look exactly like horseshoe crabs, which I thought were always in saltwater. Was this a slough or something?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Deffo horseshoe crabs, they come ashore on or around full moons in May and June to get laid.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

:argh: beat me to it

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Found this alien looking thing in my yard which some googlin’ helped determine is a praying mantis egg case. We have found baby mantises recently in our vegetable garden, they are cool and always welcome.

This is the back of it, showing where it was attached to a plant stem

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
They are indeed horseshoe crabs. I'm lucky enough to live on the seacoast so this is a saltwater river. I've never seen them on beaches proper so it was neat to see them in NH.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Uh oh, saw this guy in a local park.

I'm no snailologist but it looks to me like a giant African land snail.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Peephole bug

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Scarodactyl posted:

Near water? Could be an (also introduced, less ominous) mystery snail

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ahhh, that might be it. It was next to a lake.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Bismuth posted:

Peephole bug

Don’t invite it in! Could be a vampire!
:drac:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Found this guy walking down the hallway at work. I let them go in my office so they wouldn't get squished.
https://i.imgur.com/lZYTLC8.mp4

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 19, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Okay. Terrible image quality. But, I was trying to work out which subspecies of striated pardalote this is. Had me very confused, because this ironbark forest has plenty of ornatus further in. But- yellow wing spots, so this is striatus, which normally live in Tasmania. And we're in southern NSW.
For non-Australian crittergoons, that means these thumb-sized birds have flown nearly a thousand kilometres and crossed the legendarily stormy Bass Strait to visit our forest for the winter. Unreal.

e: that millipede on the blueprints is amazing. Escher is- well, what's the opposite of spinning in your grave?

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 19, 2022

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

-Zydeco- posted:

Found this guy walking down the hallway at work. I let them go in my office so they wouldn't get squished.

I love millipedes

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

-Zydeco- posted:

If I saw that thing coming, I'd be okay, but if it surprised me. It probably wouldn't end well (I'd scream and run). Tooooo many legs.

I accidently killed a house spider :( Something was tickling my leg hair and I went to scratch, then womp womp. Kind of sucks :(

I had one that lived in the corner of my bathroom ceiling for a few months. Named him Henry. Anytime I capture one, I try to encourage them to go to Henry's web, but they don't.

Kind of wonder if Spiders aren't cool with moving in on a another spider's web. Even if that spider is long gone.

I usually get some Orb Weavers in my front flower bed / porch, but haven't seen anything this year. Had some huge ones in the last couple years. Almost positive they were the type that would dismantle and then build a masterpiece for the next day.
but they're also famous for putting one web line between the two porch posts. I've learned to wave my arm up and down when I'm going down the steps. lil' bastards

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 19, 2022

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
excuse me millipede wtf r u doin

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

-Zydeco- posted:

legs! :swoon: :kimchi: :love:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
The movement of the legs is so mesmerizing.

Also, it's totally going to steal your design out from under you.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know nutria are invasive but yesterday I saw 3 baby nutria at the same park I posted the goslings from a week or so ago and they were so painfully cute I couldn't hate them. They were way too little and at way too much distance to try getting pics or video with my phone, but they were adorable.

Good news! Nutria are good eating!

I would recommend ground into burgers with some pork and bacon in the mix to cut some gaminess, they are a rodent.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

rabbit

crab spider demands hugs!!!

some kinda bee

some other, smaller bee

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Scarodactyl posted:

See that lid closing the opening? That's called an operculum, and is not found in pulmonate snails, where nearly all snails and slugs found on land belong.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

The Red Queen posted:

The movement of the legs is so mesmerizing.

Also, it's totally going to steal your design out from under you.

They can have it as long as they get their friends together and stop all the water leaking into the tunnel.

We have enough giant roaches that they can probably just get three or four together and stop it up whenever it rains.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Interesting fact

Insects use a "tripod" system of walking, meaning, two legs are on the ground on one side while one leg is on the ground on the other side.

Centipedes and millipedes also use the tripod system... it's multiplied down the length of their bodies. Think of it as dozens of tripods connected together.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bug ID pls:

This guy is TINY, I took the pic w/ a clip on macro lens. There were a few of these around my indoor mushrooms

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

poverty goat posted:

Bug ID pls:

This guy is TINY, I took the pic w/ a clip on macro lens. There were a few of these around my indoor mushrooms

Looks like a springtail of some sort.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

poverty goat posted:

Bug ID pls:

I think its a springtail in the order entomobryomorpha, all springtails eat fungi and bacteria, they love the same kind of environment mushrooms do so your shrooms might be in for some trouble if the springtails population gets too high

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Hares behind the nearby church do not give a poo poo about humans or dogs when they are munching grass

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I love millipedes! The giant ones feel so weird when they walk on you.

Nothing too exciting lately, but here are a few from the dog park.

A very brave muskrat.

Ducks all in a row.

Preening pileated.

Black-crowed night heron. This is only the second time I've spotted this one - I inadvertently spooked it and got to see it awkwardly fly up to the tree.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I found a very tiny friend in my garden today

I told it to stay as long as it wants and keep up the good work

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This friend lives underneath the fluorescent light in my garage so they are always glowing. Today they waved at me and showed me some of the gnats they have caught. Sorry for the shaky video it's very zoomed in/cropped! My phone's camera has no macro mode and is bad at focusing on small objects :(

https://i.imgur.com/4ZURHii.mp4

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
it is frog time

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Excellent frog pretending to be a granite rock.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Neon Noodle posted:

it is frog time

that's a great frog right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022