Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

REI anniversary sale catalog is out.

https://catalogs.rei.com/2022-Anniversary-Sale

Start May 20th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just as a heads up, Costco has their roto coolers for sale now. Also a new brand, no idea if they're any good but I don't see why not.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The white one next to it is like half the price.

Edit - I guess that blue one is twice as big anyway.

100qt seems insanely heavy. The white Coho 55 qt fully loaded is not pleasant to carry far.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 15, 2022

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Rehashing car camping (ie not backpacking) tents chat. After rereading reviews, I decided to return our (unused) Kingdom 4. A few too many complaints about water leaking through the ceiling vents for my comfort.

I currently have my eye on the North Face Wawona 4. Also considered some Marmot ones (such as the Torreya), but I'm not convinced the price difference is worth it for us. I'm mildly concerned about not having a full length fly, but there are enough reviews explicitly saying they survived significant rain without leakage that I think it'll be fine.

Anyone have experience with the Wowona, Torreya, or recommend similar tents in that category?

Despite only being two adults and a baby, I was tempted to move up to the 6-person. The main thing that stopped me is a concern that we literally would not fit in some camping spots (we only dispersed camp, no campgrounds). I think the 4-person will be ample for 2.5 humans.

All of this feels weird after exclusively shopping backpacking tents my whole life. Soon we'll need to look for one of those that work for two adults and a child as well.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I love my 2020 wawona 6 and have had it up in very windy thunderstorms without issue. The massive porch/vestibule is great and so is being able to stand up inside. That said, they keep changing the design so ymmv with a new one

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

internet says 100qt of ice is like 208 lbs of ice (almost 100kg for canadians)

not like you'd fill the entire cooler with ice, but even with the cooler weight itself and only a quarter full of ice plus stuff, a fully packed cooler would likely be at least 60 to 70 lbs. Definitely a two person job if you want to be careful. Or just leave it in the trunk and not bother moving it if it's more than half full or so.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have a wawona 6 as well and have had it in some insane downpours and stayed dry. I got mine in early 2020.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

sb hermit posted:

internet says 100qt of ice is like 208 lbs of ice (almost 100kg for canadians)

not like you'd fill the entire cooler with ice, but even with the cooler weight itself and only a quarter full of ice plus stuff, a fully packed cooler would likely be at least 60 to 70 lbs. Definitely a two person job if you want to be careful. Or just leave it in the trunk and not bother moving it if it's more than half full or so.

I have a really vibrant mental image that comes to mind when I imagine who would buy that sort of thing and what they'd fill it with.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
55 qt is the biggest roto cooler I would buy because of loaded weight. I can carry it by myself but it's easy with two people. The big coolers are a "put it on the fishing boat and leave it in place" kind of thing.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah I just bring my old Coleman blow molded wheeled cooler if it's a day trip because it's smaller for the same volume, lighter, and easier to move around. Really only use the roto molded one for multi day trips, but the Coleman is still good enough for a couple of days tbh.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Verman posted:

Just as a heads up, Costco has their roto coolers for sale now. Also a new brand, no idea if they're any good but I don't see why not.

I have a blue cooler, and it works quite well. It's heavy, and the exterior makes you think it'll hold more than it does, but that's the nature of rotomolded coolers.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i toss a Coleman into my Costco folding cart to wheel it around

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

40% off friends and family coupons for outdoorresearch.com. expires at midnight tonight.

FNF-J3UH-O4HH

FNF-WNEH-3784

FNF-75UZ-OLZL

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

post hole digger posted:

40% off friends and family coupons for outdoorresearch.com. expires at midnight tonight.

FNF-J3UH-O4HH

Used this one to get me some astro shorts and sun hoodie. Shame the astro pants are OOS, I would've bought another pair. Thanks a bunch dude.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The 2nd 2 showed as invalid for me, so I guess people snagged them. Oh well. Thanks for posting them!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Amazon has FROGG TOGGS Men's Ultra-Lite2 Waterproof Breathable Rain Jacket for $12.
So does Walmart.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's a good emergency rain jacket, but I think most hikers opt for the xtreme lite because it's got better features.

Both are gonna drape like potato sacks and are super easy to puncture though.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Any opinions on the ULA Circuit? I am in the market for a +/- 60L backpack and this seems to meet most of my requirements. Light, not too $$$ when compared to other major brands, made in USA and can fit a bladder, has a few external pockets.

Along these lines, what is the deal with the new $700 Osprey packs that weight in at nearly 7 pounds? I know they are full of all sorts of exotics, but that weight is just 90's level stuff.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Any opinions on the ULA Circuit? I am in the market for a +/- 60L backpack and this seems to meet most of my requirements. Light, not too $$$ when compared to other major brands, made in USA and can fit a bladder, has a few external pockets.

Along these lines, what is the deal with the new $700 Osprey packs that weight in at nearly 7 pounds? I know they are full of all sorts of exotics, but that weight is just 90's level stuff.

Ive heard nothing but good things about the ULA packs, Pmags for example LOVES them.

Think of those new Osprey packs the same as you would a concept car. Lots of new tech/materials/design/etc but not ready for prime time production yet.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Holy moly. Thanks for bringing them up so if I spot one on the trail I can properly judge them from afar.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

everything on the product page for those is trademarked buzzword bullshit but it sounds like it has a carbon fiber backplate thing. :shrug: I don’t understand why you couldn’t do the same with plastic or aluminum and still end up with a much lighter backpack

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Clark Nova posted:

everything on the product page for those is trademarked buzzword bullshit but it sounds like it has a carbon fiber backplate thing. :shrug: I don’t understand why you couldn’t do the same with plastic or aluminum and still end up with a much lighter backpack

Yeah, I come from a road cycling background. And there are plenty of bike out there with all kinds of exotics as far as carbon, 3D printing, etc. Let's say you can get a near top of the line road racer for 8K that weighs in at 15 pounds. And then a SUPERDUPER BIKE COMPANY puts one out that says the frame is made of rich Corinthian Carbon, 3D printed in the most modern factory, and all the other parts are machined from only the finest aluminum and titanium available. We are going to price it at 20k (2.5x the cost) and it will in at 30 pounds. (2x the weight)

Nobody in the cycling world would buy something like that. This pack seems to be right along those lines.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
The guy from the outdoor gear review bought one, I'm really looking forward to the review just to see what the actual hell, how do you even try and justify that price

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

My wife loves her ULA ~45l bag. I can’t remember the model name, but it’s a great bag and well made. Would recommend.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Nobody in the cycling world would buy something like that.

Yeah I'm gonna press X to Doubt on that one. I've known a few cyclist weirdos with way too much money who bought insanely stupid poo poo because it was chock full of ~bleeding-edge~ tech and buzzwords.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There’s $1k tents so why not a $700 backpack, sure.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Yeah, but most of those tents are for mountaineering or arctic conditions. I am not suprised to see a $700 rucksack that is no better than your army surplus stuff. Went to my local outdoors store a few months ago for a simple light spring rain jacket, and struggled to find anything under $300.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Yeah, I come from a road cycling background. And there are plenty of bike out there with all kinds of exotics as far as carbon, 3D printing, etc. Let's say you can get a near top of the line road racer for 8K that weighs in at 15 pounds. And then a SUPERDUPER BIKE COMPANY puts one out that says the frame is made of rich Corinthian Carbon, 3D printed in the most modern factory, and all the other parts are machined from only the finest aluminum and titanium available. We are going to price it at 20k (2.5x the cost) and it will in at 30 pounds. (2x the weight)

Nobody in the cycling world would buy something like that. This pack seems to be right along those lines.

I'm the troll who called a 7lb pack "anti-gravity"

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Somebody was asking about cots for car camping earlier. Amazon has Twin size Coleman Camping Cot, Air Mattress, and Pump Combo | Folding Camp Cot and Air Bed with Side Tables and Battery Operated Pump for $102 The queen size is slightly more.

I know nothing about these other than they seem like an all right deal to try it out.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

RodShaft posted:

Somebody was asking about cots for car camping earlier. Amazon has Twin size Coleman Camping Cot, Air Mattress, and Pump Combo | Folding Camp Cot and Air Bed with Side Tables and Battery Operated Pump for $102 The queen size is slightly more.

I know nothing about these other than they seem like an all right deal to try it out.

We have this cot in queen size. It's comfy, but the mattress that comes with it is loud AF. Every move you make results in loud squeaks.
We ended up getting a different mattress that fit inside the cot cover.
It's nice and convenient, though.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My MSR Windburner stove melted! Is this a known phenomenon? 6 of the aluminum heat exchange fins on the bottom of the pot melted and partially burned away.

I used it to boil 3 pots in quick succession maybe that caused it to overheat? (luxurious hot shower; it was amazing)

I've contacted MSR and started the return/repair process, etc. I'm more curious to know if other have heard of this happening.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive seen similar happen with JetBoils in high wind where the flame wasnt staying centered. Not sure if thats what could've happened to you or not.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Huh, it wasn't notably windy on my trip. I'm somewhat suspicious of the welds, which are some kind of no-filler micro spot welds. There really isn't much fusion, in terms of cross-section.

Minor luck: it failed with 20 days remaining on the 3 year warranty.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

REI coupons activate tomorrow and I decided to try to pick up a sleeping pad.

Does anyone have any experience or misgivings about the Thermarest Prolite Apex? It's a bit big but hopefully I can strap it on my backpack when I go backpacking.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What's the deal with these coupons? I need to buy some expensive stuff. I didn't realize it, but there's also a members-only 20% off sale right now on a lot of stuff, including what I need.

Specifically, I'm hoping to buy an Exped Megamat Duo as we discussed a while back. Question about storage for this thing, I normally store mine inflated along the side wall of my bedroom with the intake valve open, as you're supposed to. Is this going to be weird and huge to do that with, am I going to regret getting this instead of two smaller Megamats? I have other stuff under the bed and it would be an issue to store it there. EDIT: On reflection, it's probably impossible to answer this question for someone else, since it's a question of how okay you are with permanently keeping a ~4 foot thing going up your wall. I think I am probably going to have to go with getting the smaller one. And at that point, maybe I should just buy a second Thermarest Mondoking since then I could share stuff like pump sacks between them.

guppy fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 20, 2022

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The coupons are only for members. Basically get 20% off of an item and another item thats in their outlet.

You wont get a dividend on these purchases FYI.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

guppy posted:

EDIT: On reflection, it's probably impossible to answer this question for someone else, since it's a question of how okay you are with permanently keeping a ~4 foot thing going up your wall. I think I am probably going to have to go with getting the smaller one. And at that point, maybe I should just buy a second Thermarest Mondoking since then I could share stuff like pump sacks between them.

I have a megamat that has been stored in the stuff sack they provided in my garage for years. I don’t think it’s caused any harm to the pad.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I had no idea Exped recommended storing the megamat fully open. That's kind of crazy, and we certainly don't have room to do that. Oh well, I guess I'll have to accept whatever foam degradation comes with storing it compressed.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The coupons are only for members. Basically get 20% off of an item and another item thats in their outlet.

You wont get a dividend on these purchases FYI.

I am a member, I just don't remember getting a coupon. Oh well.

incogneato posted:

I had no idea Exped recommended storing the megamat fully open. That's kind of crazy, and we certainly don't have room to do that. Oh well, I guess I'll have to accept whatever foam degradation comes with storing it compressed.

This is standard for all self-inflating pads, or at least it was in the late '90s/early '00s when I was camping a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

guppy posted:

I am a member, I just don't remember getting a coupon. Oh well.

You don't need a physical coupon. All members can simply use the code once during the duration of the sale. I think it's on the website, or a cashier will apply it at checkout in a store.