Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

a sociopath wouldn't go through all that effort to communicate with hector. he genuinely loves the man. lalo is a nuanced character, you can't boil him down to a sociopath. is it really shocking that a hardened criminal wouldn't show any sympathy for the family of a man he killed, at his trial? he has a mixed bag of awful morals, but being a sociopath is something more specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think people really want to interpret Lalo as More Evil than Gus because he's the de-facto antagonist in the plot right now, but i don't really think there's any use in trying to view things that way. they're both just about as bad as you can get.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Todd is worse

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think it'd be neat to see that tunnel actually fool someone, like Lalo, trying to get Gus, but I don't expect it to do anything beyond what it's already shown us.

It also explains how the tracker Hank/Walt put on his car only showed Gus going to the store and his home; he likely took off from the other house from time to time.

It's already explained in Breaking Bad. We see him remove the tracker and stash it before a run.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Isn't it possible to be a sociopath while still having some love for certain people? The love might be much more twisted than what normies might feel, but they're not necessarily unable to make sentimental attachments, no?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yes, sociopathy is a contentious term but as far as it refers to anti social personality disorder it typically means a kind of ethical code that the rest of the world wouldn’t agree with. It doesent preclude having persons they care about. (There’s an argument made by some psychologists that "sociopath" should be taken to mean a warped moral code to distinct from "psychopath" meaning a complete absence of one)

Then there’s the trickier stuff about whether or not sociopaths have something in their brain that explains why they are that way. But a personality disorder is based on a persons behaviours and Lalos actions and attitudes would absolutely meet the criteria.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 16, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I also realize it's folly to judge whether or not a remorseless serial killer is technically a sociopath just because he loves someone.

It doesn't really change anything, since he'd be insanely terrifying to deal with for anyone outside of maybe Hector. And who knows, if his tio had him spell out "gently caress you" and whatever else, maybe he'd be deadmeat too.

There's something deeply messed up and scary in Lalo regardless of whether it fits cleanly into a defined diagnosis.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He's scarier to me because he turn it on and off so easily. I mean Tuco and Hector will still kill you but you know it's coming. Lalo cooks you a great lunch, shoots the poo poo with you for an hour, asks how your family are doing and then just slits your throat out of nowhere, then gets annoyed (but only a little) because you got some blood on his pants

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It is kind of funny that the show made such a huge ordeal about getting the superlab built but just randomly dropped this tunnel on us even though it would have been almost as big of a project, maybe even bigger and more complicated.
I think there's some disconnect between how contentious the superlab is in BCS and how much freedom Gus is given in his territory in BB. It seems like the cartel doesn't have much problem with Gus manufacturing his own product outside the cartel before he arranges for the twins and Bolsa to get killed.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lurker2006 posted:

I think there's some disconnect between how contentious the superlab is in BCS and how much freedom Gus is given in his territory in BB. It seems like the cartel doesn't have much problem with Gus manufacturing his own product outside the cartel before he arranges for the twins and Bolsa to get killed.

Was Gus manufacturing his own product before the superlab was finished in s3? I honestly don't remember.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

It's already explained in Breaking Bad. We see him remove the tracker and stash it before a run.

He should've put the tracker on another car and had someone drive around to various Pollos restaurants, restaurant supply stores, maybe a trip to the theater or a museum etc. It made Hank suspicious that the tracker only showed trips between his house and one store.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Last Chance posted:

Was Gus manufacturing his own product before the superlab was finished in s3? I honestly don't remember.

I think he was in the process of getting it set up with Gale, then they discovered Walt.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i hope tonights episode is all about the loving tunnel

nah, they're saving that for the prequel prequel series.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Turns out Gus is boring in more ways than one :dadjoke:

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Lalo is such a dreamboat, I wanted to see him and Margerethe do it

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Paperback Writer posted:

Lalo is such a dreamboat, I wanted to see him and Margerethe do it

For her, that scene felt like one of those arthouse movies about a chance encounter between two people that almost but not quite becomes a real thing but nevertheless teaches one or both parties an important lesson about seizing the moment or something. She just came very close to getting shot as well which is less of a trope for those films.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kuiperdolin posted:

Turns out Gus is boring in more ways than one :dadjoke:

:golfclap:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

For her, that scene felt like one of those arthouse movies about a chance encounter between two people that almost but not quite becomes a real thing but nevertheless teaches one or both parties an important lesson about seizing the moment or something. She just came very close to getting shot as well which is less of a trope for those films.
its part 1 in Gilligan and Gould's take on the 'Before Sunset' trilogy

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

thebardyspoon posted:

Lost in Translation would be much improved if Scar Jo pulled out dual Uzis and started blasting at the end

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The cartel starts loving with Gus because he starts manufacturing on his own if I remember right. It's why Elaido says he has to be spanked every twenty years or so for forgetting his place.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Yeah that was all the truck hijackings and "for now this war stays cold" stuff from BB. The cartel wasn't happy about Gus manufacturing but weren't ready to kill him over it either.

As far as the tunnel under his house goes, they already showed how he could plausibly build an underground super lab in secret, why waste their time showing a similar process but on a much smaller scale?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Lalo discovers the tunnel, finally realizing this was the south wall for all the concrete that WERRRRNERRRR ZZZZZZIEGLER was talking about.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Lalo is killed and buried in the Superlab which Gus surprisingly destroys. It turns out that this was not the Superlab from Breaking Bad at all! a herring of red

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've seen underground nuclear bunkers in residential neighborhoods that you'd never suspect.

Stuff going way, way deep into the earth. You can dig hundreds of feet down if you really set your mind to it.

fullroundaction posted:

The tunnel to the neighbors house did make me roll my eyes but I don’t think it’s too ridiculous in the context of the show. Mike hiding in the woman’s trunk though … lol. I guess that makes sense, it’s just shockingly inelegant for their operation.

Walt had it worse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGCIJCk2gEs

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I can't believe with all the wild crazy poo poo that happens in the BB/BCS universe, some people are getting hung up on a lil tunnel.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Haha, totally forgot about that. Great delivery.

And yeah Gus could just say he's renovating his basement or whatever and that would probably be enough to keep suspicious neighbors at bay. Hoofbeats and zebras and all.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

christmas boots posted:

Lalo is killed and buried in the Superlab which Gus surprisingly destroys. It turns out that this was not the Superlab from Breaking Bad at all! a herring of red

Lalo *is* the superlab.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Nail Rat posted:

Lalo *is* the superlab.

This is why Walt goes full supervillain after killing Gus. It's not just because he won, but also because in burning the lab he released Lalo's soul who ganted him Salamanca powers as a parting gift.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

OSHIT we've been watching the construction of the original Death Star this whole time, while BB takes place during Return of the Jedi :aaa:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
This show is too tense for me to be getting baked before hand. That being said, I'm gonna do it anyway. See y'all in a few hours.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This is the mid season finale right? We gonna get a Hank on the toilet moment?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Barreft posted:

This is the mid season finale right? We gonna get a Hank on the toilet moment?

no it's next week we get to watch Cliff Main come to a huge realization while uncorking a demon

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tonight's episode is Giancarlo's directorial debut :bisonyes:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Aye Doc posted:

no it's next week we get to watch Cliff Main come to a huge realization while uncorking a demon

lmao if only

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It also explains how the tracker Hank/Walt put on his car only showed Gus going to the store and his home; he likely took off from the other house from time to time.

Ooh, nice catch.

This tunnel derail reminds me; did we ever see where the superlab's freight elevator went? There's so much focus on the hidden entrance under the washing machine, but seems to me the elevator is a bigger deal, in a literal sense, to hide. Maybe we see it during some of the construction scenes a few seasons ago? I don't recall, and much of what I do recall of the construction site involves everyone entering and exiting the set from the washer, down the temporary stair scaffold. How would you even start an excavation project like that? Certainly the elevator shaft would be an easier place to start than a hole barely big enough for a person.

I had one of those weird dreams last night where you're watching a TV show but then you're suddenly also kind of in the TV show. It was BCS, and poo poo got really weird and stupid, I'm talking superpowers and aliens and poo poo, and oddly, a great big hole in the ground. As the dream faded I remember thinking "I liked this show better when it was just about the lawyer and the cartel," and slowly came back to reality in my bed, I thought "wow, that was a loving stupid dream."

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

escape artist posted:

This show is too tense for me to be getting baked before hand. That being said, I'm gonna do it anyway. See y'all in a few hours.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

Ooh, nice catch.

This tunnel derail reminds me; did we ever see where the superlab's freight elevator went? There's so much focus on the hidden entrance under the washing machine, but seems to me the elevator is a bigger deal, in a literal sense, to hide. Maybe we see it during some of the construction scenes a few seasons ago? I don't recall, and much of what I do recall of the construction site involves everyone entering and exiting the set from the washer, down the temporary stair scaffold. How would you even start an excavation project like that? Certainly the elevator shaft would be an easier place to start than a hole barely big enough for a person.

I had one of those weird dreams last night where you're watching a TV show but then you're suddenly also kind of in the TV show. It was BCS, and poo poo got really weird and stupid, I'm talking superpowers and aliens and poo poo, and oddly, a great big hole in the ground. As the dream faded I remember thinking "I liked this show better when it was just about the lawyer and the cartel," and slowly came back to reality in my bed, I thought "wow, that was a loving stupid dream."

Walt threw some crystal on the ground and blew out the whole floors windows yet everyone inside was fine. this is not meth indeed.

Gus messed with his tie while 1/2 his skull was gone

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 17, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The tie manipulation part of the brain is in the left hemisphere.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kim's mom owns :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Was that the original actress for Kim's mom, Carrie from Homeland, or like the same actress as Kim?