Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bird with big dick posted:

How much sales tax you pay shouldn't be some big mystery.

And is part of the reason I don't like dealing on out the door prices. Go to any car forums new car price thread and you'll see 12 trillion people talking about their OTD price and none of them are comparable because everyone's taxes and registration and DMV title fees are different but non negotiable costs. Doc fees are negotiable. Sales tax isn't. Deal on the stuff that you can actually deal on, and keep in mind how much your non negotiable fees are going to add to that total.
You'd be surprised how many people conveniently forget basic algebra when given information eventually summarizing to "I can spend $30k today." A good reminder that you are your only advocate here.

I guess I need to clarify my post isn't about dealing, its about sticking to your budget in the face of people who's job it is to make sure you don't. There's a lot more work to deal which includes brushing up on everything that could ever be a line item and how you should attack it to hit the rate you have previously researched in the market and I'm stressed out just typing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Probably the biggest thing to remember is that car salespeople aren't human (their sales managers even less so) so you do not need to treat them with respect. If they insult you, either directly or in negotiation, walk out. They will either chase after you or not, and there are a million other sales douches you can buy a car from, even if they're not in the same city.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They will typically charge you for this, but they will do it for you.

I guess it's different in every state but I'm pretty sure in NY, they're required to and it's just the same cost as it would be at the DMV. You can't take the car without plates and a registration.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It does vary by state, in NC they were going to charge me a markup so I did it myself. Michigan I believe was as you described, and it's been so long since I bought a car from a dealership in the Common Weal that I don't remember.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

This is why I liked buying my Tacoma over text messages. I offered msrp, they sent the contract (fixed a couple errors such as a dropped rebate so go over it with careful eyes but that was as much as a second text saying “hey you dropped the rebate” and “oops let me fix that” (lol). The biggest benefit I guess is you have nobody hovering over you. Completely avoided the hours of dealership experience and simply dropped off a check and picked up the keys.

Of course everything is always easier if you don’t try to negotiate away their dealer fees which in my case amounted to $399.

Plate fee was the same as the dmv charges for it.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 16, 2022

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

i bought a car over text/phone recently also and the first guy was hilarious, they wouldn't let me pay with a check from my credit union because it "wasn't in their system" (???? read: needed to write up a loan to hit their quota) and sent me a picture of two sheets of paper- one had the monthly payment of 48/60/72 month loans with extended warranty bullshit, and the second had the same without the warranty, except in the picture they had overlapped the first paper to cover the last column of the second so i couldn't see the 72 month without warranty then circled the monthly payment of the 72 with warranty as the "lowest payment and best deal"

second place i called had the same car in a trim level higher for less money and under msrp, asked for their out the door price and how much fees were and they immediately went "yea it'll be this much" and i replied "sweet i have cash" and they drove the car 100 miles to me the next day without ever seeing me in person lol

it's kind of sad people still get roped into stuff like that with so much information available to arm yourself with beforehand on the internet these days. thought that first scam was a neat trick though

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

KillHour posted:

I guess it's different in every state but I'm pretty sure in NY, they're required to and it's just the same cost as it would be at the DMV. You can't take the car without plates and a registration.

They'll try to charge you a service fee/more for it (or they did when I last bought a car from a dealership), fwiw. You can check online to see the actual cost and iirc it was like $57 and they tried to charge $250 for it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

builds character posted:

They'll try to charge you a service fee/more for it (or they did when I last bought a car from a dealership), fwiw. You can check online to see the actual cost and iirc it was like $57 and they tried to charge $250 for it.

That's not legal in NY. In NY, the maximum dealer / documentation fee is $175 (and was $75 before it was increased 2 years ago), and I think they're allowed to charge a $5 plate mounting fee.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am supremely annoyed that I live in a front and back plate required state but they only gave me a temporary plate for the back and there is no place to mount a front plate. What am I supposed to do, drill holes myself?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just drive without one :P

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I think if I were to be honest I’m having a bit of buyer’s remorse. Traded in my juke for an impreza and it has the space we need it’s just…so boring. Some day I will buy a fun car again, maybe when the kid goes off to college.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

KillHour posted:

That's not legal in NY. In NY, the maximum dealer / documentation fee is $175 (and was $75 before it was increased 2 years ago), and I think they're allowed to charge a $5 plate mounting fee.

Interesting. It seemed ridiculous to me so I googled it sitting at the desk with them and they took it down to actual but they definitely tried to tack it on.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

remigious posted:

I am supremely annoyed that I live in a front and back plate required state but they only gave me a temporary plate for the back and there is no place to mount a front plate. What am I supposed to do, drill holes myself?

If you’re in California you can vinyl wrap your front license plate now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

in a well actually posted:

If you’re in California you can vinyl wrap your front license plate now.

What does this mean

I know what vinyl wrapping is, but not in this context

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Hadlock posted:

What does this mean

I know what vinyl wrapping is, but not in this context
You can buy a vinyl sheet that resembles a license plate and stick it on your car like a sticker. Only in CA.

https://licenseplatewrap.com/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup:

It's still inferior to rear-plate-only states but that's a big improvement from having to wreck the front end of most modern vehicles.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

God dammit I paid a dealer $100 to install a front plate for my texas-origin Tiguan two months ago. If I'd known I could just get a sticker I'd have done that!

Also to answer OPs question there's both OEM and aftermarket front plate mounting kits, a dealer typically just drills right into the bumper which you can do yourself but make drat sure you're not potentially tapping into front sensors or wires or whatever if you do; but if you want a non-destructive/through-the-grill or tow hook mounting option, there's lots of aftermarket ones too.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I need to remember to do this, we're planning an interstate trip soon and there's no way that fining tourists for "no front license" isn't some sort of money making mill for small towns.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 16, 2022

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Leperflesh posted:

God dammit I paid a dealer $100 to install a front plate for my texas-origin Tiguan two months ago. If I'd known I could just get a sticker I'd have done that!

Also to answer OPs question there's both OEM and aftermarket front plate mounting kits, a dealer typically just drills right into the bumper which you can do yourself but make drat sure you're not potentially tapping into front sensors or wires or whatever if you do; but if you want a non-destructive/through-the-grill or tow hook mounting option, there's lots of aftermarket ones too.

Thanks for this :) I’ll look into getting a mounting kit myself, gently caress paying the dealer more money!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

No included front license plate mounting def sounds like a 7 series thing

Pretty sure all Toyotas come with that. More reason to get a Prius

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ethanol posted:

You can get away with an alarming amount of stuff in a freshly waxed late model 7 series

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dpkg chopra posted:

I need to remember to do this, we're planning an interstate trip soon and there's no way that fining tourists for "no front license" isn't some sort of money making mill for small towns.

Are you in a state that actually requires front plates? Because not all do and I cannot fathom even the pettiest of small towns trying to pull that poo poo. Arizona doesn't even issue two plates anymore even if you do vanity/custom tags, you just get one.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The unstoppable force of the plates costing the same registration fee whether you get one or two meeting the immovable object of being able to pull people over at will.

I've not heard of out of staters getting pulled over for lack of front plates in states that need them in a while FWIW.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you in a state that actually requires front plates? Because not all do and I cannot fathom even the pettiest of small towns trying to pull that poo poo. Arizona doesn't even issue two plates anymore even if you do vanity/custom tags, you just get one.

No, my state doesn't require front plates, but I understand that it's not a valid excuse once you cross over to a state that does.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dpkg chopra posted:

No, my state doesn't require front plates, but I understand that it's not a valid excuse once you cross over to a state that does.

This is incorrect. Your car must conform to the laws of the state in which it is registered, not the one it is physically driving through.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

This is incorrect. Your car must conform to the laws of the state in which it is registered, not the one it is physically driving through.

Are you telling me some random Quora answer I read didn't have correct information?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Somehow I feel as if citing actual federal law at the small town cops that pulled you over just to gently caress with you will have about the same effect as those dudes that cite made-up sovereign citizen maritime law at actual cops.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

Somehow I feel as if citing actual federal law at the small town cops that pulled you over just to gently caress with you will have about the same effect as those dudes that cite made-up sovereign citizen maritime law at actual cops.

Yes, because you or a lawyer have to appear there to appeal. So the further away your state is the more likely this is to happen in podunk nowhere because you're more likely to just pay the fine.

I don't know how common this is anymore, but it was definitely a thing 15+ years ago before you could just internet yourself up a local traffic attorney to represent you and get it thrown out without having to appear in person. It was all very very obviously calculated, along with the other bullshit citations they would write.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My dad bought a small hunting property out in rural bumfuck Texas and the cops there used to pull him over for stupid bullshit all the loving time, with one of them flat out saying that he was getting pulled over for poo poo because he was from out of town. They apologized and stopped doing it after he showed one of them a property tax statement showing that he owned land out there. This was within the last 5 years or so.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Khizan posted:

My dad bought a small hunting property out in rural bumfuck Texas and the cops there used to pull him over for stupid bullshit all the loving time, with one of them flat out saying that he was getting pulled over for poo poo because he was from out of town. They apologized and stopped doing it after he showed one of them a property tax statement showing that he owned land out there. This was within the last 5 years or so.

I'd be petty enough to show up to a town meeting and ask why cops are picking on local property owners.

Not that it should matter if you own property there, but it's a good way to put the sheriff in an uncomfortable position.

Motronic posted:

I don't know how common this is anymore, but it was definitely a thing 15+ years ago before you could just internet yourself up a local traffic attorney to represent you and get it thrown out without having to appear in person.

Yeah, this is pretty much what you would have to do if it happened.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ethanol posted:

Pretty sure all Toyotas come with that. More reason to get a Prius

Haha jokes on you there are literally none available right now. :negative:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
So uh this is happening in my state. I find this out literally an hour after I schedule for Carvana to buy my car and pick up on Friday. Now I'm wondering if the physical check I asked for them to give me will even go through. This wouldn't be that bad but I'm literally in the middle of trying to buy another car from another state. :suicide:

I'm wondering if I should cancel the appointment and try to sell the car myself.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Neo_Crimson posted:

So uh this is happening in my state. I find this out literally an hour after I schedule for Carvana to buy my car and pick up on Friday. Now I'm wondering if the physical check I asked for them to give me will even go through. This wouldn't be that bad but I'm literally in the middle of trying to buy another car from another state. :suicide:

I'm wondering if I should cancel the appointment and try to sell the car myself.

Nothing in there makes me think you won't be able to cash their check.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

builds character posted:

Nothing in there makes me think you won't be able to cash their check.

Hurry up and do it before they declare bankruptcy :v:

If their check bounces, you will get your car back and they will be royally hosed once you file a report with the police

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I just had the car I bought from Carvana delivered yesterday (a 2016 Mazda3 for a usurious 20k) so this news makes me anxious. I guess I'm praying they actually deliver me my title. The experience was ok, but I wouldn't do it again, even if it all goes smoothly. I think there's too much to buying a car in actually getting to see and be in it before the pressure of paperwork comes into it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SettingSun posted:

(a 2016 Mazda3 for a usurious 20k)

I almost spit my drink out. Good lord.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

SettingSun posted:

I just had the car I bought from Carvana delivered yesterday (a 2016 Mazda3 for a usurious 20k) so this news makes me anxious. I guess I'm praying they actually deliver me my title. The experience was ok, but I wouldn't do it again, even if it all goes smoothly. I think there's too much to buying a car in actually getting to see and be in it before the pressure of paperwork comes into it.

I worked for Carvana for a couple of months in 2021. Probably the only job I've had where I actually dreaded going to work in the morning.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I worked for Carvana for a couple of months in 2021. Probably the only job I've had where I actually dreaded going to work in the morning.

Care for any storytime on what that experience was like?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oh yeah, you don't have to convince me that I paid a king's ransom for the experience. Car is in really good condition with great mileage for its age at least. I still have a week to change my mind and I still might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

I almost spit my drink out. Good lord.

God drat. I paid less than 20k out the door for a new one. Lowest trim model but still.