Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That's barely even equivalent to my monthly mustache wax budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you assume there is a research division of 100 perfect scientists paid 2 million / year each, the 20k cost for this pair of sound enhancing rocks suddenly seems reasonable.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Don't tell me that you fools aren't thinking about the brilliant scientists who made these speakers 1 percent better than 1000$ speakers!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I wonder if they sound better than a pair of LS50s with a nice sub. They're ugly as sin imo but that's just taste, I like wood speakers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

qirex posted:

I can't stop laughing, Klipsch boomered the ProMedias

Qwijib0 posted:

going to sell so many

Oh no I kind of like them...

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

If you assume there is a research division of 100 perfect scientists paid 2 million / year each, the 20k cost for this pair of sound enhancing rocks suddenly seems reasonable.

I agree that the real problem on a set of speakers that integrate everything into the cabinet is the lack of places to add magic pebbles or special conditioning fuses.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

large hands posted:

I wonder if they sound better than a pair of LS50s with a nice sub. They're ugly as sin imo but that's just taste, I like wood speakers.

Probably not. Just looking at the specs, a pair of LS50s with a pair of KC62s would be way better. The KC62s play much lower and you get the benefit of being able to place any of the pieces where you want in a room.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 14, 2022

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I always thought KEF’s industrial design was all over the place. Like the R series and Reference series are just regular boxes that you can get in some dumb colours, the LS50s are kind goofy looking, but then the Blades and this thing… Oof.

That said, I firmly believe that the R3 should be everyone’s default choice if they have a small to medium sized room and want to spend about $2000 USD.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

$7k for those KEFs is expensive but not crazy.

This, however:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Eyud posted:

$7k for those KEFs is expensive but not crazy.

This, however:

lol is this WhatHifi

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Audiogon!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

They make tube DACs? I was under the impression that tube use was primarily in amps because of the whole 'crank them and they sound cool' thing. Which makes sense if you're a musician trying to get that cool sound but less so if you're wanting to reproduce recorded audio vaguely accurately.

So a tube DAC? I assume it's either going to do very little or be made to distort which then colours whatever you feed into it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So a tube DAC? I assume it's either going to do very little or be made to distort which then colours whatever you feed into it.

yes. both things. at once. paradoxically.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The fabled "transparent, musical" tubes.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
Enter Lampizator, Tube DAC designer / manufacturer from Poland.

Please direct the previous insane audiophile to this page: https://www.lampizatorpoland.com/horizon

TOTL tube DAC priced at 44,000 EU (not including VAT)

sounds like a bargain to me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You say distortion, I say relaxed presentation. $25k please, we only accept cash.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
audio smoothing

evilcat
May 16, 2009
I think the thing that amazes me the most is just how ugly all their products are. At the best it looks like a thrift store receiver with some tubes shoved through holes in the top and at the worst their strange claims of even minor things like the power supply capacity.
Tube dacs just seem weird in a way. At least the audiophiles getting expensive r2r dacs look like they are making a good choice in comparison.
It's not like it's even a tube dac as the name implies since they're saying they use a dac chip.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My favorite current audiophile trend is people going back to R2R DACs over IC solutions. This started because of the AKM fire and ongoing component shortages but now they're somehow a selling point despite being literally the least sophisticated way to solve the problem of digital to analog conversion. Of course if they get anything out of spec they go bonkers but that won't happen if you have the right cables and outlet covers, right?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Why convert at all just enjoy the 1s and zeros as they are?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What the 44000 fucks?!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
My favorite Youtube content now is watching Amir from ASR reviewing snake oil while masterfully keeping his emotions in check.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Palladium posted:

My favorite Youtube content now is watching Amir from ASR reviewing snake oil while masterfully keeping his emotions in check.

I enjoyed his $2 RCA cable review.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

That has to be sonically better than my $0 RCA cables right?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I love this… queue up the salty boomers talking about breadth and warmth and the human element. Ughhh

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Wasn't there a big row on some audiophile forum when someone tried to get users to participate in a double-blind listening test of speaker wire vs. coat hangers? Or is that just a long-running joke?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Mister Speaker posted:

Wasn't there a big row on some audiophile forum when someone tried to get users to participate in a double-blind listening test of speaker wire vs. coat hangers? Or is that just a long-running joke?

It's not a joke! It's something that's often used to demonstrate that materials don't matter as much as people think. There was a $1million prize if you could prove you could tell the difference between audiophile cables and normal ones by James Randi but no winners before he died

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
(Serious post) These $30 Creative Pebble V2 sounds pretty on a desk hooked up to a $200 Topping D50S DAC.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Mr. Mercury posted:

It's not a joke! It's something that's often used to demonstrate that materials don't matter as much as people think. There was a $1million prize if you could prove you could tell the difference between audiophile cables and normal ones by James Randi but no winners before he died

But you see, when you spend thousands on speaker cables you'll convince yourself you can hear the difference.

Audiophiles even have a cute little term for it, they call it the psychoacoustic effect.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thinking it sounds better makes it actually sound better. It's the same principle as the studies they did with wine where they tell you a bottle costs $100 and they can see all your brain's jizz centers light up on an MRI when you drink it and then they tell you a different bottle cost 5$ from wal-mart and none of your jizz centers light up but it's actually the exact same bottle of wine.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
But the "getting drunk" part happens all the same.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b2IOOhJmxw
not sure if this has already been posted

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I posted it a while back. Well worth a watch imo.
The guy is okish by boomers with million dollar setups standards. His rig (room? building?) is loving demented

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 17, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That reminds me of an image I remember of some lunatic who did similar in a surround setup in this huge dark room. I'm sure at least one of you know what I'm talking about.

*edit: found some shiddy low res images because of course the company that put this together has gone tits up.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/greatest-show-earth?page=5

quote:

While the KSS is technically an 8.8-channel audio system, it uses a lot more than eight speakers and eight subwoofers. Kipnis felt that a lone center speaker sounded a tad undernourished compared with the eight Snell THX Cinema & Music Reference towers, so he opted for three Snell LCR-2800 center-channel speakers. The original contingent of eight subs sounded "really good" but, unfortunately, didn't deliver the full earth-moving-under-your-feet effect he wanted. So, he wound up with 16 18-inch Snell subs! To balance the other frequency extreme, and for the ultimate in transient speed and transparency, the Snell speakers' treble has been augmented with MuRata ES103A super tweeters. Thus, from the deepest deep bass (10 hertz) up to the extreme high-frequency range (100 kilohertz), the KSS is the most full-range system I've ever heard—and felt. The speakers are fed by a well-balanced combination of audiophile solid-state and vacuum-tube amplifiers. The KSS is astonishing in the way it delivers power, but with 11,315 very high-quality watts on tap, that's hardly surprising. Not only can it play ungodly loud, the KSS sounds phenomenal while doing so and never hurt my tender ears. The theater is big but far from huge. Its vaulted ceiling ranges from 8 feet high at the rear end to 16 feet at the screen end of the room (which is 26.5 feet wide and 33 feet long). The 18-foot screen fulfilled my IMAX fantasies, and the projector's va-va-voom color and brilliant light were transformational. I just tried to take it all in as I scribbled notes, afraid I might miss some of the juicier details.

Dude writing this is amazed that good speakers can play loud without distorting and loving your hearing? C'mon man, you're writing for a loving AV mag :jerkbag:

Correct thread:

quote:

AC power conditioning for the KSS is, again, done to the max. Next to the garage, there are two mammoth General Electric 13,800-volt/800-amp step-down transformers; all of the cabling is audiophile-grade wire, and every aspect of performance and presentation is scrutinized, even down to the 40-amp cryogenically treated circuit breakers for each and every component in the system.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 17, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm the glass table right in front of the listening position.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KillHour posted:

I'm the glass table right in front of the listening position.

For when you want the Jurassic Park experience right in your living room!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

qirex posted:

My favorite current audiophile trend is people going back to R2R DACs over IC solutions. This started because of the AKM fire and ongoing component shortages but now they're somehow a selling point despite being literally the least sophisticated way to solve the problem of digital to analog conversion. Of course if they get anything out of spec they go bonkers but that won't happen if you have the right cables and outlet covers, right?

I'm guilty of this, I own a Schiit Gungnir Multibit. My only defense is that was I taking a DSP class in the grad school at the time and had it out for Parks-McClellan and Schiit's approach was... different. Didn't really care / notice / observe if it sounded better, it was just something different as a DAC.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

R2R is kind of neat because it's so simple but in a world of 4 and 8 channel integrated DACs with DSP that cost a quarter it's a bit of a sell (or it was before the current situation).

e: I guess one good thing about R2R DACs is it's impossible for them to support MQA...

qirex fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 18, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Since R2R have hundreds of precision matched resistors, its only a matter of time till something drifts to the point... you can guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That reminds me of an image I remember of some lunatic who did similar in a surround setup in this huge dark room. I'm sure at least one of you know what I'm talking about.

*edit: found some shiddy low res images because of course the company that put this together has gone tits up.

Somebody likes the concept so much that they made it into a ready to roll product:

https://l-acoustics-creations.com/sound-space/island/

My listening room is way simpler. I was considering putting up some fibreglass panels, maybe make up some diffusers… then I found this:

https://www.defendershield.com/emf-protection-wallpaper

A much better use of my cash. Now I can be sure that none of those government birds are interrupting my bit-perfect data streams.

While I’m at it, don’t want none of that radiation hitting my junk either:

https://getlambs.com/product/faraday-boxer-briefs

And I’ll get a few of these to dot around the space, really finish it off:

https://healingsoundexp.com/product/springlife-stainless-steel-polarizer/

quote:

Springlife polarizers have been widely used around the world for over forty years. These polarizers, designed by Randy Masters, are based on sacred geometry and tuned to the background Cosmic OM wavelength measured by Bell Labs at between 7.23 cm and 7.35 cm. They are called polarizers because the proprietary blend of special minerals and Earth substances soaks up specific wavelengths of cosmic radiation and then amplifies it. When this happens, toxic substances are usually re-polarized, meaning their toxic vortex patterns are neutralized

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 18, 2022