Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally saw No Way Home, courtesy of my hold with the local library finally coming in. I suppose it was nice seeing Maguire and Garfield again, but my main walk-away reaction is that Into the Spiderverse did it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cythereal posted:

Finally saw No Way Home, courtesy of my hold with the local library finally coming in. I suppose it was nice seeing Maguire and Garfield again, but my main walk-away reaction is that Into the Spiderverse did it better.

Agreed, and I'm sad NWH kind of ruined the chance that Maguire/Garfield show up in a Spiderverse sequel.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grendels Dad posted:

Agreed, and I'm sad NWH kind of ruined the chance that Maguire/Garfield show up in a Spiderverse sequel.

And Dafoe was great, of course. The Spidey/Strange fight was fun. It was a thoroughly alright movie.

But still, to me it immediately evoked comparisons to ITS with the multiverse shenanigans and Peters Parker and that just isn't a fight this movie could win in my opinion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Eh, I feel it stood on its own enough by leaning into the meta nature of the concept with the actual existing movie trilogies and bringing back the characters from them. Different enough from what Spider-verse was doing. It's a fun way to play with nostalgia.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Cythereal posted:

And Dafoe was great, of course. The Spidey/Strange fight was fun. It was a thoroughly alright movie.

But still, to me it immediately evoked comparisons to ITS with the multiverse shenanigans and Peters Parker and that just isn't a fight this movie could win in my opinion.

The Strange fight was decent, but the climax being "this is just mathematics!" was dumb. Peter clearly just has the advantage in that environment regardless. Swinging from poo poo is his whole deal. "Oh no, fractal skyscrapers in all directions, however will I get around??"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shanty posted:

The Strange fight was decent, but the climax being "this is just mathematics!" was dumb. Peter clearly just has the advantage in that environment regardless. Swinging from poo poo is his whole deal. "Oh no, fractal skyscrapers in all directions, however will I get around??"

I did enjoy it given the underlying conceit that Strange is absolutely trying to go easy on Spidey, but also very ignorant as to what he can really do, and ends up picking probably the worst possible tactics to try to confuse and disorient him into submission. And the disembodied Spider-sense bit was fun. Half the fun of pitting Spider-man against other heroes is shocking them with how Spidey can punch so far above his weight class.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Strange was fun but meandering. I wasn't a fan of the constantly changing plot/endgame and some of the effects (like the octopus fight) were really bad for a bazillion dollar comic movie in 2022.

Loved the cameos. But a lot of their deaths were pretty :stare: Nobody cares about Black Bolt but his head close-up exploding was a lot. So was Wanda unraveling Reed and popping his skull

America Chavez is cool, and I look forward to laughing at internet fuckboys who will assuredly melt the gently caress down at the Hispanic girl named America wearing a pride flag pin and raised by two moms.

Wong fuckin rules

I don't care about Christine

The way Chavez finally owned Wanda was heartwrenching and awesome

Stephen, please don't hit on the bride at her wedding. What the gently caress, dude.

Musical note battle seemed like a cool idea someone had but it got kind of shoved into one of the several Boss Fights in the film

And I guess we just kind of left Baron Mordo stuck in that shallow pit, despite the fact he was wearing the Vaulting Boots of Whoever while Strange casually metroided his way out?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Comics artist George Perez has also died.

He’s the co-creator of Cyborg along with the modern Teen Titans and helped define the modern concept of Wonder Woman.

<------ :(

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I thoroughly enjoyed Doctor Strange 2 (as noted in its own thread) and it appears so did most of us posting in that thread did too. But it had a 67% drop-off on its second weekend: https://deadline.com/2022/05/box-office-doctor-strange-2-firestarter-1235023217/

I think the article raises good points. On the other hand, I think this one boils down to a marketing problem more than likely. From the trailers, I think quite a lot of movie-goers were expecting a different movie. In terms of overall box office performance, it's not going to finish its theatrical run anywhere near the bottom of MCU fare, and will probably rank somewhere between #15-20 all-time gross.

That said, I'm still planning to try and see it in theaters one more time before it hits streaming.

The only question I have is whether or not Marvel Studios might finally be hitting the point that they're releasing too many films per year?

I don't think the comic book movie bubble is in any real danger of finally bursting, but there has been a new MCU release on average every 3.5 months since theaters re-opened. That's not even counting Disney+ content, which has already released six entire shows of at least 6 episodes apiece, and so far only two have actually connected to a film. Both in Multiverse of Madness. I guess my point is that with inflation, I wonder how much this is indicative of things just costing too much when you can wait a short while and just enjoy the movie at home in a few weeks.

I think the next Thor movie is going to tell us a lot about whether the MCU needs to re-think its marketing, release strategy, or both.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Doronin posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Doctor Strange 2 (as noted in its own thread) and it appears so did most of us posting in that thread did too. But it had a 67% drop-off on its second weekend: https://deadline.com/2022/05/box-office-doctor-strange-2-firestarter-1235023217/

I think the article raises good points. On the other hand, I think this one boils down to a marketing problem more than likely. From the trailers, I think quite a lot of movie-goers were expecting a different movie. In terms of overall box office performance, it's not going to finish its theatrical run anywhere near the bottom of MCU fare, and will probably rank somewhere between #15-20 all-time gross.

That said, I'm still planning to try and see it in theaters one more time before it hits streaming.

The only question I have is whether or not Marvel Studios might finally be hitting the point that they're releasing too many films per year?

I don't think the comic book movie bubble is in any real danger of finally bursting, but there has been a new MCU release on average every 3.5 months since theaters re-opened. That's not even counting Disney+ content, which has already released six entire shows of at least 6 episodes apiece, and so far only two have actually connected to a film. Both in Multiverse of Madness. I guess my point is that with inflation, I wonder how much this is indicative of things just costing too much when you can wait a short while and just enjoy the movie at home in a few weeks.

I think the next Thor movie is going to tell us a lot about whether the MCU needs to re-think its marketing, release strategy, or both.

Keeping up with MCU and Star Wars content is starting to feel like a job.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I wish I had a job that just required me to show up for 2 hours twice a year.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Dietrich posted:

I mean no offense by this but it’s very funny to me that people find the movie release schedule to be overwhelming. The comic release schedule… that thing is a fuckin’ tidal wave. I only read Moon Knight and X-Men and it’s p much a weekly burden if I want to be up to date.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dietrich posted:

The burden of long running continuity weighs heavy on serialized comics and it's starting to weigh heavily on the MCU too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERxYQR6Na0Q

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Sandwolf posted:

I mean no offense by this but it’s very funny to me that people find the movie release schedule to be overwhelming. The comic release schedule… that thing is a fuckin’ tidal wave. I only read Moon Knight and X-Men and it’s p much a weekly burden if I want to be up to date.

Not just the movies, the TV shows too. Feels like you've got to watch everything as it releases or get left behind. I don't want to have to try to cram down 30 hours of content before the next movie release or risk missing something important. And this kinda sucks when the show isn't particularly appealing to you but might be backstory for something that is- like my wife didn't care for What-If at all, but had to force herself to watch it before seeing MoM.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sandwolf posted:

It would be a monthly burden if you didn't read X-Men. How many different books are there at the moment? I know there's three without even getting into individual characters and side teams like X-Force.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dietrich posted:

Not just the movies, the TV shows too. Feels like you've got to watch everything as it releases or get left behind. I don't want to have to try to cram down 30 hours of content before the next movie release or risk missing something important.

Nothing in the TV shows is necessary to enjoy the movies. The closest thing to "mandatory" is Wandavision, but "book corrupts lady" and "She had kids" are really all you need in the context of Dr. Strange and the movie spends a few minutes in the beginning to lay those out.

Loki, Moon Knight, and Hawkeye just have references and easter eggs to the movies and an early sneak peek at Kang, but nothing that transfers to a movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I wish I had a job that just required me to show up for 2 hours twice a year.

There's at least 25 hours of new Marvel movies and TV shows this year.

Loki, Moon Knight, and Hawkeye just have references and easter eggs to the movies and an early sneak peek at Kang, but nothing that transfers to a movie.

Ehhhh. That's only going by the small number of movies released since the D+ stuff started. Loki will probably end up being very important later down the line, and FATWS and Hawkeye are the origin stories for characters who will likely have their own movies in the new few years. And who knows about Moon Knight.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 16, 2022

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jedit posted:

It would be a monthly burden if you didn't read X-Men. How many different books are there at the moment? I know there's three without even getting into individual characters and side teams like X-Force.

Oh dude there’s like 9 X-Books rn but, again, if you don’t read all of them there’s gonna be poo poo popping up in Marauders that was in X-Men Red and if you want the full picture, ya gotta read it all.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Nothing in the TV shows is necessary to enjoy the movies. The closest thing to "mandatory" is Wandavision, but "book corrupts lady" and "She had kids" are really all you need in the context of Dr. Strange and the movie spends a few minutes in the beginning to lay those out.

I keep forgetting that you have read all the phase 4 movie scripts and also were granted the power to know if wanda suddenly being evil would be confusing for my wife, a thousand apologies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pretty lovely job that asks you to pay them. Disney should be paying me to watch their cape poo poo tbh.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dietrich posted:

I keep forgetting that you have read all the phase 4 movies and also were granted the power to know if wanda suddenly being evil would be confusing for my wife, a thousand apologies.

I mean, you said it was a current problem. I can't know if any future movies will require viewing TV shows to get the premise, but there currently aren't any that you are required to.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I can't know if any future movies will require viewing TV shows to get the premise.

Yes this is the nature of the problem.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"Movies, TV, it's all one big marvel comics content slurry... and it's all available on Disney Plus! No the TV shows aren't airing on some free channel that we own like ABC, that would be ridiculous! You have to subscribe! Please subscribe to Disney Plus! Oh please god please subscribe oh god please please subscribe or Mr. Chapek will have my family killed!"

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Sandwolf posted:

For a very long time, I only bought X-Men books, with occasional outings for interesting series like Vision (2015). But I think it hit a point where I remember buying five different titles every month and I just couldn't keep up with it. Then damned if they didn't just reboot the whole works again with House/Powers of X, which now, I have to worry about "am I reading these sister titles in the most correct order?" So yeah, I hear you on this one. I finally stopped buying new comics in 2020.

I mostly agree with this, as of today while I'm typing this. But if you're someone who only watches the movies and the last time you saw Wanda was when she briefly went toe-to-toe with Thanos, that's a massive leap of characterization without watching the WandaVision show. Whenever, or however, they reintroduce Loki to the movies is also going to be a mind-gently caress for someone who thought Loki was really for-real dead "no resurrections" in Endgame, because I trying to explain, "No this is the variant of him from when he stole the Space Stone in Endgame" won't be super easy for more casual viewers.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The mcu company credits thing soon to be replaced by a "previously on" intro

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

MacheteZombie posted:

The mcu company credits thing soon to be replaced by a "previously on" intro

You joke but it would be cool if marvel released a "what you need to know" youtube video or something so I don't have to listen to or see erik voss ever again.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dietrich posted:

You joke but it would be cool if marvel released a "what you need to know" youtube video or something so I don't have to listen to or see erik voss ever again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Doronin posted:

I mostly agree with this, as of today while I'm typing this. But if you're someone who only watches the movies and the last time you saw Wanda was when she briefly went toe-to-toe with Thanos, that's a massive leap of characterization without watching the WandaVision show. Whenever, or however, they reintroduce Loki to the movies is also going to be a mind-gently caress for someone who thought Loki was really for-real dead "no resurrections" in Endgame, because I trying to explain, "No this is the variant of him from when he stole the Space Stone in Endgame" won't be super easy for more casual viewers.

Yea I think going forward you're gonna see more of what we saw with Wandavision where the show is an important piece of the character's status quo when we see them in their next movie. Moon Knight is probably the only one that feels optional because when he appears in a movie there's a good chance you'll just need to know that he's some sort of supernatural vigilante. But all the other shows had some crucial character/plot development that is going to need to be reckoned with whenever that character next appears.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Doronin posted:

No offense but alot of this article rides on this person's literal cousin Vinny.

I think Dr Strange is a property that isn't going to be as big as a lot of the others and this sequel by doing better than the first one did a relatively rare feat.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Looks like someone put Stephen Graham into a teleporter with a baby.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Ryan Arey at ScreenCrush is a good deal more palatable imo

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Dietrich posted:

haha, I was literally about to make a near-identical statement as this to the same post but you beat me to it. I'd be 1000% on board with that kind of content, too.

Although I have my own reasons, I'm curious why you'd avoid Erik Voss? The one I've grown to avoid is Ryan Ari (sp?) at ScreenCrush. His theories started to annoy me more than anything.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think going forward you're gonna see more of what we saw with Wandavision where the show is an important piece of the character's status quo when we see them in their next movie. Moon Knight is probably the only one that feels optional because when he appears in a movie there's a good chance you'll just need to know that he's some sort of supernatural vigilante. But all the other shows had some crucial character/plot development that is going to need to be reckoned with whenever that character next appears.

It's super hard to tell if streaming shows are popular or not, but if Moon Knight is used in film, I'd be super interested to see how they go about it since the show leaves off with him as a likely villain. Not to mention how they'd couch the source of his power since that version of "gods" has only been alluded to briefly in Black Panther, and it's all way different than what we get with Thor and his ilk.

Although I would love it if they did strike up some Midnight Sons story in either format, but I cannot imagine a scenario where that would be in-demand enough.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Doronin posted:

haha, I was literally about to make a near-identical statement as this to the same post but you beat me to it. I'd be 1000% on board with that kind of content, too.

Although I have my own reasons, I'm curious why you'd avoid Erik Voss? The one I've grown to avoid is Ryan Ari (sp?) at ScreenCrush. His theories started to annoy me more than anything.

The terrible clickbait listicle content combined with his general affect and delivery are both particularly off putting to me. And he frequently makes statements which are directly contradicted by the media he is referring to.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Dietrich posted:

The terrible clickbait listicle content combined with his general affect and delivery are both particularly off putting to me. And he frequently makes statements which are directly contradicted by the media he is referring to.

Yeah, I agree with that assessment. I was starting to wonder if it were just me thinking that about his content from the past year or so. Coincidentally, it was his WandaVision breakdowns that started to sour me on him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sandwolf posted:

I fell out of Moon Knight after the Sun King arc. How's it going currently?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I fell out of Moon Knight after the Sun King arc. How's it going currently?

Ironically you will have to read a random and obscure Devil’s Reign book back from when Norman was the Iron Patriot to know the current big bad of the MK book but the current run is loving sweet.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This one?

https://www.amazon.com/Devils-Reign-2021-ebook/dp/B09XPFQV69/

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean, sure, but you're expecting a random person who is not only not up on all the movies/tv shows but isn't even up on which stuff they've missed might be considered "required reading" or not or not or if that even matters anymore to know this.

Previously if you were just a "I like Character A and I like when they team up with the Avengers" person you could watch that specific character's movies and the mainline Avengers movies (Civil War being the one exception to this but that was advertised with basically everyone) and get enough of the story to know what was going on. If you're mainly coming at Dr. Strange from S-M:NWH and you know Wanda is in it so WandaVision is likely important and maybe you heard a passing mention about stuff from Loki or What If?, knowing that there are 24 episodes of 3 different TV shows (or even more? what about all these other shows and movies that keep coming out??) that you had no interest in might be enough to just decide to give this one a pass and enjoy the nice weather instead.

This is a completely different paradigm than previously. There's not even currently a "tentpole" series like the Avengers pulling stuff in and no word on how that is going to be handled. Something like Shang-Chi might be an easier sell as something that at least looks like its own thing with maybe some easter eggs or fun cameos from your favorite movies, and Spider-Man is its own behemoth, but stuff like Dr. Strange or Eternals might be a harder sell to non-100%ers who aren't sure where this fits into the greater cosmology of the series and would rather just wait and see if it is important later and catch it on D+ before the next thing they are really looking forward to.

I'm saying all of this as someone who is a major fan of comic book stuff (toys, t-shirts, the works) and is seeing the movie tomorrow, but even I gave up on What If? and haven't touched Moon Knight and honestly the fatigue is setting in a bit. I can imagine people who just want to see a fun action movie don't even want to even take the seemingly basic step of "okay, let me spend 20 minutes on wikipedia to understand what the gently caress is going on and if I need to do homework" since even that is a tall order when traditionally most people decide to see movies based on if they see a trailer they like. It's easy from inside this thread where we are all wayyyyy too informed to say "yeah but most of these movies/shows don't really matter" but ironically you'd have to have a good understanding to even know that in the first place, whereas anyone else is probably just going by advertising which is telling them "watch all of our stuff! it's all important and good!"

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Guy A. Person posted:

A bunch of stuff I 100% agree with!

You nailed it here! Well said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I have to confess that if I was not a Moon Knight fan for literally 30+ years the only thing that might have got me to watch the show was Oscar Isaac.