Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

She was invited to a political debate show tonight, “Kas notiek Latvijā?” (What’s up with Latvia?). Highlights so far:
- If we demolish the monument, Putin will invade (is she celebrating under duress or what then?)
- Using a tractor was a deliberate provocation (lol & lmao, also it’s how the flower removal was done normally)
- Victory Day celebration has artistic value (as in, it’s a protected class of events. Don’t ask, I don’t get it either)
- “All tears matter”
- She doesn’t actually even like the concrete (the monument)
- What about people singing Wehrmacht songs on March 16? (As if that’s an excuse, also people are saying that they sing Latvian songs there)
- People donning Ukrainian colours were provocateurs

Do people really sing wehrmacht songs in Latvia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Do people really sing wehrmacht songs in Latvia?

The answer I can give you is in the quoted part already, I’ve never been to Legionnaires’ day myself. As far as I’m concerned, it’s unlikely as you’d have to speak German, for the parallel to hold with the attempted deflection. If they do, they should stop much like the people singing Soviet army poo poo in public on May 9, especially considering that there’s literally hundred times more of them.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 12, 2022

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
PYF horrid hyperlocal Eastern European musical genre. I have a minor fascination with the Romanian manele for instance.

I hate phone posting and I know too little to even attempt to be confident, but I have a vague notion that there are schlagers/oldtimey singalong songs (ziņģes) that are associated with wartime and particularly with the legions. I cannot name any examples at the moment though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

PYF horrid hyperlocal Eastern European musical genre. I have a minor fascination with the Romanian manele for instance.

I hate phone posting and I know too little to even attempt to be confident, but I have a vague notion that there are schlagers/oldtimey singalong songs (ziņģes) that are associated with wartime and particularly with the legions. I cannot name any examples at the moment though.

The Twitter chatter I saw about this did mention songs in Latvian, yeah, but those supposed include throwing out the “blue-grey” (Germans), which would mean that those are generic war songs. In any case, the accusation there was in defence of people in Russian singing literal Soviet battle marches and triumph songs as originally conceived, which is markedly different from singing however reprehensible poo poo written by locals.

In any case, I’m happy to oblige with some generic Latvian cringe, I’m sure you’ll be surprised. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiexMDY1zNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WrRPK-Ynvg

I know that rap wasn’t invented here, also here’s something decidedly hyper local and horrid. This is from my hometown, it was the talk of the town when I was around 9th grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI0LxDBvCsM

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 12, 2022

szary
Mar 12, 2014

a podcast for cats posted:

PYF horrid hyperlocal Eastern European musical genre.

Oh boy. Behold, the disco polo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxtnot8lY4U

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I filled my tank at a Lukoil gas station in Serbia last night and they couldn't process my card. After a lot of swearing and talking on the phone, they find out that there is a regional telecom problem. It could be fixed any moment but it could also last until morning. I've been waiting for half an hour and it's 0:45. We have a problem.
- they don't have an ATM and we're on a highway so I can't easily get to one
- I don't have mobile banking
- my wife could wire the money but she's asleep

So the attendant pays the $110 bill with his own money and I take a picture of his bank card. He takes a photo of my ID. We exchange phone numbers and the wife wired him money in the morning.

The whole experience was very Eastern European. Not sure how we'd solve this problem in Germany or US.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Really loving the take with the ladies nightclub dancing on the pedestrian overpass in the middle of the day.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Really loving the take with the ladies nightclub dancing on the pedestrian overpass in the middle of the day.

My person favourite is this verse (it properly rhymes in Russian):

Buy yourself shashlik,
Compress it in your fist,
And if you have enough strength left,
Show me gently caress you sign

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I know that rap wasn’t invented here, also here’s something decidedly hyper local and horrid. This is from my hometown, it was the talk of the town when I was around 9th grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI0LxDBvCsM

No matter where in the world you are, lovely hometown rappers are all the same.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh poo poo, leader of pro-Russian regionalist fringe party has been arrested by the police.

https://twitter.com/delfilv/status/1525088369906163714

In further news, public fundraiser for demolition costs (€100k) has exceeded €200k in the first two days of fundraising, and Riga municipal government will be deciding very soon on the demolition. I think that is a settled matter already, with the last remaining question being if we reduce it to rubble or ship it off to Russia.

Curiously enough, the fundraising platform has been under constant cyberattacks for last 48 hours.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh poo poo, leader of pro-Russian regionalist fringe party has been arrested by the police.

https://twitter.com/delfilv/status/1525088369906163714

In further news, public fundraiser for demolition costs (€100k) has exceeded €200k in the first two days of fundraising, and Riga municipal government will be deciding very soon on the demolition. I think that is a settled matter already, with the last remaining question being if we reduce it to rubble or ship it off to Russia.

Curiously enough, the fundraising platform has been under constant cyberattacks for last 48 hours.

Are there no plans to turn them into a tourist attraction park like Lithuania did back in the day?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

advanced statsman posted:

Are there no plans to turn them into a tourist attraction park like Lithuania did back in the day?

Too early for that talk, we’re in “bull sees the red cloth” stage of it. Armchair architects seem to be missing that it’s a good location for a concert hall.

What do you mean with a tourist attraction park? If Lithuania has like an open air Soviet memorial exhibit, then that definitely won’t appear palpable here.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Too early for that talk, we’re in “bull sees the red cloth” stage of it. Armchair architects seem to be missing that it’s a good location for a concert hall.

What do you mean with a tourist attraction park? If Lithuania has like an open air Soviet memorial exhibit, then that definitely won’t appear palpable here.

Is Grūto Parkas not known in Latvia at all? I figured people had heard about it over there

http://grutoparkas.lt

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

You mean Grūtas park? Wouldn't be out of the question but as cinci zoo sniper said, there's not much thought put into what's next besides bringing it down, preferably yesterday.

efb

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Is Grūto Parkas not known in Latvia at all? I figured people had heard about it over there

http://grutoparkas.lt

Perhaps it’s known, but I would be surprised if it’s widely known amongst my age peers and younger. The first Lithuanian landmark that I would name is the Mountain of Crosses. :v:

Checking the page of the park, our equivalent would probably be the Occupation Museum. https://okupacijasmuzejs.lv/en/

I think it’s a fairly good idea, looking at your setup, but I don’t believe it is politically feasible anymore.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
It’s true that Grūto parkas came up at a very different time, and by the second half of the last decade Lithuania was in a very different place wrt Russophobia—idk if you remember about the removal of Soviet times sculptures at the Žaliasis bridge https://www.15min.lt/m/id/aktualu/l...metus-56-516781

I still figure there’s a way to be less divisive about such monuments, but it’s just never gonna be pretty I guess

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Also if you ever have the chance there’s a castle/museum in Kuressaare in Estonia that’s a mix of Swedish medieval poo poo and Soviet occupation and its p hilarious, on the first floor there is a loving stuffed bear and on the second floor there’s like gulag memorabilia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Also if you ever have the chance there’s a castle/museum in Kuressaare in Estonia that’s a mix of Swedish medieval poo poo and Soviet occupation and its p hilarious, on the first floor there is a loving stuffed bear and on the second floor there’s like gulag memorabilia

lmao

It’s true that Grūto parkas came up at a very different time, and by the second half of the last decade Lithuania was in a very different place wrt Russophobia—idk if you remember about the removal of Soviet times sculptures at the Žaliasis bridge https://www.15min.lt/m/id/aktualu/l...metus-56-516781

I still figure there’s a way to be less divisive about such monuments, but it’s just never gonna be pretty I guess

There absolutely is a way to be less divisive about such monuments, but I have to agree with politicians saying that the current situation is not one where either of parties is interested in a peaceful reconciliation.

Russians did their annual Soviet wank despite the background of war in Ukraine, threatened and harassed a bunch of people, and decided to double further down with public “take it, cucks :smug:” cheering - to be candid, they’ll be getting off rather lightly, compared to what I am ready to realistically expect from my fellow countrymen, and our politicians, if this stops at a handful of monuments reduced to rubble and demonstratively dumped into the Baltic Sea as a nearby patrol boat is blasting a bass-boosted version of “Saule, Pērkons, Daugava”, speaking figuratively.

I really doubt this is going to be just the end of it, though. The consensus around the events, for the establishment and ethnic Latvians, is ossifying around “an attack on Latvian statehood, signalling a brazen opening of a new hybrid war front for Russia”, e.g., with state security apparatus already shifting from 2nd into 5th gear. And I cannot say they’re entirely wrong to view it so. If I had to speculate, the majority of Soviet army-related monuments in the country will be gone by the end of the year, and education even in elementary schools will happen in Latvian from 2023 academic year.

Edit: https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/rigas-dome-uzdod-nojaukt-padomju-pieminekli-uzvaras-parka.a456608/ demolition has been approved.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 13, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

there needs to an effort to preserve Eastern Europe's/fmr USSR regional museums. They're truly one of a kind.

My personal favorite will always be Tashkent's Museum of Olympic Glory and every one of the surely over 100 airplane graveyards pretending to be aeronautical museums.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Is that the VDV training facility?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Nenonen posted:

Is that the VDV training facility?

no, its training normal people in case they need to fly aeroflot

I like that they made it just high enough to be 100% serious injury when the slide fails

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 13, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

education even in elementary schools will happen in Latvian from 2023 academic year.

This already has been announced, though starting with 2025 academic year. https://www.la.lv/muizniece-2025-2026-macibu-gada-visi-berni-visa-valsti-macisies-tikai-latviesu-valoda

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Malaver posted:

I filled my tank at a Lukoil gas station in Serbia last night and they couldn't process my card. After a lot of swearing and talking on the phone, they find out that there is a regional telecom problem. It could be fixed any moment but it could also last until morning. I've been waiting for half an hour and it's 0:45. We have a problem.
- they don't have an ATM and we're on a highway so I can't easily get to one
- I don't have mobile banking
- my wife could wire the money but she's asleep

So the attendant pays the $110 bill with his own money and I take a picture of his bank card. He takes a photo of my ID. We exchange phone numbers and the wife wired him money in the morning.

The whole experience was very Eastern European. Not sure how we'd solve this problem in Germany or US.

I had this happen in Germany. Filled up, went to pay and they couldn't use my card. Don't remember exactly if it was broken or they didn't take cards at all or something. We agreed that I'd leave something valuable with them and just drive to the ATM in the nearest town. Got the cash, paid them and wa on my way. But if this was in the middle of nowhere with no ATMs nearby, no idea how this could be handled. maybe just tell them to suck it if their terminal is just broken.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
This article was linked in the Ukraine war thread but I wanted to make a joke that doesn't fit with that thread's seriousness

anyway there is no Eastern Europe

quote:

It was still dark on the morning of February 24th when Ivan Fedorov, the mayor of Melitopol, a midsize city in southern Ukraine, awoke to the sound of explosions. He thought it was a thunderstorm and went back to sleep. “I couldn’t wrap my head around the idea that in the twenty-first century some sick mind would think to start firing missiles in the center of Europe,” he said.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fez_machine posted:

This article was linked in the Ukraine war thread but I wanted to make a joke that doesn't fit with that thread's seriousness

Well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_midpoint_of_Europe#Transcarpathia,_today_in_Ukraine

(It's hardly an undisputable claim, but there is a lot of Europe in the European part of Russia, at any rate)

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

fez_machine posted:

the Baltics believe they're northern europe
the Visegrads believe they're central europe
the Balkans believe they're southern europe
the Black Sea countries believe they're "europe"

Germany laughs politely

Kazakhstan are just waiting for their turn to join in

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

the Baltics believe they're northern europe
the Visegrads believe they're central europe
the Balkans believe they're southern europe
the Black Sea countries believe they're "europe"

Germany laughs politely

Kazakhstan are just waiting for their turn to join in

Kazakhstan wants to be in eurovision, so...

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Morrow posted:

australia is eastern europe

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Morrow posted:

i welcome this

if israel, azerbaijan, and loving australia are fair game, we may as well accept whatever bad gay camp music kazakhstan has to offer as well

plus azerbaijan needs more oil money bribing the juries competition

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
President of a smoker: personal heavily armored jet with a brigade of special services

President of a healthy person:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

President of a smoker: personal heavily armored jet with a brigade of special services

President of a healthy person:

President of a person?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Google tells me she's Maia Sandu, president of Moldavia. No idea how healthy a person Moldavia is, though

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

President of a person?

I was trying to see if the "___ курильщика / ___ здорового человека" meme translates well

Szurumbur posted:

Google tells me she's Maia Sandu, president of Moldavia. No idea how healthy a person Moldavia is, though

Not too much but they're on the right track, I'm lazily following what they're doing and it's very encouraging after years of Dodon. And she takes wizzair, like us non-reptiloids

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

I was trying to see if the "___ курильщика / ___ здорового человека" meme translates well

Oh lmao, I see.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Torrannor posted:

This. Eurovision is iconic, and very, very gay. It's also great when certain EE countries get aneurysms with how gay it is (looking at you, Russia and Hungary!). And I well remember when Russia sent those twin girls who actually put up a pretty good performance, but the year was 2014 and they got absolutely crushed in the popular vote. I strongly suspect this year will be no different, which is cool.

I think you're confused. 2014 was Polina gagarina

https://youtu.be/_8oPJx3OQcU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

twerking on the railroad posted:

I think you're confused. 2014 was Polina gagarina

https://youtu.be/_8oPJx3OQcU

2014 was Tolmachevy Sisters. 2015 was Polina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_in_the_Eurovision_Song_Contest#Participation_overview

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In 2014 the crowd booing over the performance was so strong that it was clearly audible in the broadcast even with all the live audio editing they were trying to do to mitigate it.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Fair enough. That's partly my confusion and partly my wanting to post the edit of the gagarina song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

twerking on the railroad posted:

Fair enough. That's partly my confusion and partly my wanting to post the edit of the gagarina song

I approve, that edit is one of my all-time favourite videos.