Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Just going to Chime in and say that as someone who played most of Subnautica and all of Below Zero, I actually liked below zero quite a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I did like Below Zero but not as much as the first game. There's a bunch of obviously incomplete story leads, for example I completely ignored the frozen leviathan vaccine thing and never touched the penguin robots. The overland bits also loving suck.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
e:Crap, thought this was the other thread, probably better there. Ignore.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 16, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Subnautica is one of those games I wish I could experience the same kind of magic for the first time again. The exploration and the outworldly feel of the underwater is just so magical. The first time you dive into the big entrance of Lost river ... and being a dumbass on my first playthrough navigating the Cyclops all the way down to Lava zone past the big tree. Yes, it was really annoying.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Spanish Matlock posted:

Just going to Chime in and say that as someone who played most of Subnautica and all of Below Zero, I actually liked below zero quite a bit more.

I thought I liked them equally but having decided to grab OG on the switch I realise that yeah. I like a lot of Below Zero a lot more, not having the stupid rocks to hit to get resources, the tech progression, the rectangular rooms.

Not saying that I don't like OG a whole bunch, they're both perfect video games (lol) but I definitely prefer BZ having played them both recently.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Below Zero just has weird design choices in a lot of places. The snow scooter is useless, there's no utility to it at all whatsoever. But it could have been good if they'd covered the entire surface in a sheet of ice with holes to the sea here and there, making the snow scooter the fastest way to get around the map.

Instead the surface is tiny islands of ice spread over the surface of the water, most of them with nothing on them. All the points of interest are near the ocean edges and are actual land instead of glaciers.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Remember that a large chunk of BZ was wrapped up in work from home covid times.
Much of the later audio was recording during this too when they changed voice actors.
I think they just kinda wanted to finish it and shove it out the door.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Below Zero just has weird design choices in a lot of places. The snow scooter is useless, there's no utility to it at all whatsoever. But it could have been good if they'd covered the entire surface in a sheet of ice with holes to the sea here and there, making the snow scooter the fastest way to get around the map.

Instead the surface is tiny islands of ice spread over the surface of the water, most of them with nothing on them. All the points of interest are near the ocean edges and are actual land instead of glaciers.

To be fair I do forget about the above ground stuff. Most of my fondness for the game is probably based around building cool bases all over the place. Building one into the wall of the big pit under the island was great fun.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I love The Long Dark but it's really not that hard to reach a level where you can survive forever and the game just becomes a job. I assume it'd be way too hard at this point to add base building elements but some sort of end goal would be enough. As it is there's nothing to stop me finding a good spot on a friendly map and harvesting sticks and rabbits until I get bored and walk into a wolf's mouth.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Below Zero didn't have a super well-developed land section, to be fair. It was probably in some way COVID-related and kind of feels like an afterthought. I really liked several of the underwater biomes, though, and I thought at least a few of the new leviathans were very charming.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm trying to play it anyway and even though it starts you out in the baby pool it makes legitimately very uncomfortable, in a way that space sims flying around in 6 degrees surrounded by vacuum don't.

the water is only like 25 feet deep where you start and you can't really go out of sight of the surface lol

I'm having a really hard time enjoying this game because it does the deep water poo poo so well :negative:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I love The Long Dark but it's really not that hard to reach a level where you can survive forever and the game just becomes a job. I assume it'd be way too hard at this point to add base building elements but some sort of end goal would be enough. As it is there's nothing to stop me finding a good spot on a friendly map and harvesting sticks and rabbits until I get bored and walk into a wolf's mouth.

They recently posted about their DLC plans being solely focused on the survival mode, and about splitting survival and story so one doesn't influence the other anymore. I'm cautiously optimistic because I love like 90% of TLD it just needs more to do and a bunch of win conditions. Seriously, let me end the game!!!

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 17, 2022

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Apologies if it's already been brought up, but Tin Can is pretty great. Basically you have to MacGyver together failing systems on an old escape pod after you have to get off your ship while doing maintenance and cleaning.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1315980/Tin_Can/

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm having a really hard time enjoying this game because it does the deep water poo poo so well :negative:

Deliberately getting myself killed by scary things in the deep a few times helped me a lot with this, I think overcoming the panic impulse is part of the game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Big Monster is pretty unsettling but it's not any better when No Big Monster either :ohdear:

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Have you gotten the little handheld sea scooter thing yet? Being able to perform something approximating running the gently caress away was pretty helpful as well, similar to how a "climb the ladder 5% faster" button helps with ladder-based terror.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Running away from things isn't really the problem, it's the overpowering reluctance to leave the kiddie pool area :ohdear: I only managed to make the sea scooter once the Sunbeam approach countdown started, and I still haven't managed to collect enough bits to make the habitat construction tool. Maybe it won't be so bad once I get some buildings made.

It isn't the fear of running out of air, because Planet Crafter didn't do this to me at all, it's really just the swimming/deep water and the sound design, especially the reefback leviathan groaning :ohdear:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Spanish Matlock posted:

Below Zero didn't have a super well-developed land section, to be fair. It was probably in some way COVID-related and kind of feels like an afterthought. I really liked several of the underwater biomes, though, and I thought at least a few of the new leviathans were very charming.

BZ suffers directly from having high staff turnover during development and clashing visions for what the game should be, culminating in the lead writer getting fired/quitting and the entire narrative being scrapped and rewritten shortly before release.

Not really spoilers but there were three different storylines at one point iirc:

Storyline 1: You wake up in a field camp and are told that your colleague Jeff found a large architect portal and disappeared into it hours ago and a rescue is being mounted. When you go through you see the alien planet in the end scene of BZ-1.0, but get an ominous warning by a voice that you need to leave and you aren't welcome. Jeff is nowhere to be found. When you get back most of the base is being destroyed by a meteor storm and the orbital station is hit by a larger asteroid, obliterating your escape chances. You have to flee into the water and find an empty life pod from the station, beginning the story similarly to SN1. Allegedly this story line was going to focus on finding your lost team members and figure out what the hell was going on, with destroying the last of the Kharaa bacterium being a bargaining chip. This storyline got replaced sometime in development and was replaced by....

Storyline 2: You played as a member of the missing Alterra Team. Said meteor storm causes the Alterra team(that is the vanished team in the released version) to have to emergency evacuate to the orbital habitat but the evac shuttle gets obliterated shortly after take off, hence why in the released version you bizarrely choose to land in a meteor storm with no supplies despite not being particularly rushed to launch the shuttle. Al-An has a much more malicious role and is kind of like The Thing. He takes over another survivor Jeff, who wandered into the ruins after the crash seeking shelter. He is used by Al-An blow up the main Alterra station orbiting the planet in an attempt to sever Planet 4546B from contact with the known world. Marguerite was also encountered as a survivor who knew how to survive on the planet without an orbital station.

Only the supply shuttle Vesper is left in orbit and your sister Sam guides you and occasionally sends capsules through the meteor storm to try and repair the long range communication array to get word to someone out there that 4546B is in big trouble. You send small rockets back with rare materials (this was why there are so many little rocket launch pads on the map) and progress some story objectives that way, at one point including a forcefield surrounding the planet to prevent the last unfrozen Kharaa bacterium from escaping. Unfortunately the lead writer left/was canned before this was fleshed out and an ending written.

Released Storyline: Something else entirely, but with all the scenes from the above two storylines trying to be recycled despite not really fitting and not having conclusions.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

feeling a lot better about BZ now because I hadn't heard those before and they sound absolutely terrible

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah they were all bad, the second one that got pretty far before getting canned was distilled B grade schlock.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Flesh Forge posted:

Running away from things isn't really the problem, it's the overpowering reluctance to leave the kiddie pool area :ohdear: I only managed to make the sea scooter once the Sunbeam approach countdown started, and I still haven't managed to collect enough bits to make the habitat construction tool. Maybe it won't be so bad once I get some buildings made.

It isn't the fear of running out of air, because Planet Crafter didn't do this to me at all, it's really just the swimming/deep water and the sound design, especially the reefback leviathan groaning :ohdear:

Getting the seamoth mini-sub will help. From a practical perspective once you have a seamoth with a zap module you're generally safe. From a generally feeling of dread perspective, you'll be in a nice lit metal enclosure and will no longer be surrounded by oppressive blackness.
You can make it with only some minimal foreys outside the kiddie pool areas.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I mean, I wouldn’t be that angry to have gotten Subnautica x Penumbra

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I don't have a problem with thalassophobia normally, but diving through ice caves broke me. "What if cave diving, but the walls are nondescript and partly transparent" is the worst thing and I ran out of air twice. :shepface:

It's much worse than getting lost in one of the wreck sections in Subnautica.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

They recently posted about their DLC plans being solely focused on the survival mode, and about splitting survival and story so one doesn't influence each other anymore. I'm cautiously optimistic because I love like 90% of TLD it just needs more to do and a bunch of win conditions. Seriously, let me end the game!!!

That sounds cool. I always felt like Story Mode only existed because the devs didn't trust themselves with environmental storytelling back in the day.

I always thought it'd be cool to have various characters with different objectives based on how they got caught up in the disaster. A guy wakes up at the crash site in Pleasant Valley with an objective to get to the coast and collect enough coal to sail a boat out, a guy wakes up in a crashed car in Crumbling Highway and has to make it to Mountain Town to find out what happened to his family, that sort of thing.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Omnicarus posted:

BZ suffers directly from having high staff turnover during development and clashing visions for what the game should be, culminating in the lead writer getting fired/quitting and the entire narrative being scrapped and rewritten shortly before release.

Released Storyline: Something else entirely, but with all the scenes from the above two storylines trying to be recycled despite not really fitting and not having conclusions.

Thanks for sharing, I had never heard about those. Honestly those both sound like pretty solid storylines to me. Would have taken either of those over what we ended up with.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Warbird posted:

What’s the going take on Vintage Story? I loved Feed The Beast and parts of Better Than Wolves (dingus of a creator aside) and this looks to be a dedicated stab at that sort of systems based voxel game mod. The features reel from a couple of years back seems interesting but certain aspects seemed a tad much. Are they implemented well?

General consensus: combat bad, everything else good to very good. Like many games of its type, a lot of the challenge is lost once you jump the early hurdle of fighting off starvation and surviving the winter, but the various mechanisms you need to build for advanced crafting (windmills, forges, stills, pottery, etc) add more stuff to keep you on your toes. And that's if you're not the type of player who's simply satisfied building and/or chiseling pretty-looking stuff, in which case the game has you set for ages.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Kind of related, but if Subnautica were an album, it would be Pelagial (Instrumental) by The Ocean.

Safe Shallows: https://theocean.bandcamp.com/track/epipelagic-instrumental-version
Lost River: https://theocean.bandcamp.com/track/abyssopelagic-ii-signals-of-anxiety-instrumental-version
Lava Lakes: https://theocean.bandcamp.com/track/benthic-the-origin-of-our-wishes-instrumental-version

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Suzera posted:

Empyrion v1.8 and new HWS+ is coming June 7. HWS is a large community Empyrion server with maybe a few hundred players that cycle in? Not entirely sure of the exact amount, but the official HWS discord gets a lot of traffic. At least several people on the Sandcastle Kicker discord are going to give it a shot starting launch day if anyone here wants to join in and have fun building or maybe be a menace for a while. Discord link: https://discord.gg/Y5JPZ2qKAw

Here's the given preview information so far for the upcoming HWS+: https://prezi.com/view/CZXN7Xt6pubgp4ASdXWc/

Yeah, that's hard to navigate. The only thing that seems highly worth looking at if you haven't played HWS+ before other than the synopsis in the next sentence is the universe map. There's a class system, a fair number of pvp planets, an elemental type matchup for weapons and armor (???), some kind of boss progression thing, and isn't so big you'll never run into people like the 10000 stars in Reforged Eden since it looks like there's maybe a few dozen stars and maybe 4x as many sectors.

Sometimes we do stuff like Minecraft, Project Zombiod or 7 Days to Die as well if you want to join and hang out in case those come up again in the future.

My take is there's a lot more neat systems than Minecraft but there's even less survival pressure once you figure out how to stab things for food. At least the last time I played it, the timestorm stuff was actually pretty boring and relatively easy to deal with.

Didn't know there were other HWS goons out there. My wife and I play Empyrion occasionally...a lot. I'll make a note to check out your discord, we recently started up on HWS again and should be able to stockpile some stuff for the wipe (you can keep a certain amount of stuff across seasons if you load up the web-based part of the server with everything). It's nice to log in on a fresh build and pretty much have everything you need out the gate.

I've played on HWS for several years off and on to check out new patches and such (still waiting on walking around on ships in motion, come on man). The additions they have are thoughtful and pretty good. The ability to start with a CV does nuke the early part of the game, but if you've played before it's a perfect way to get yourself to proper mining territory/all the way to the Homeworld system which is like the hub for their custom server content (separate from stock + RE). The endgame PvE content is absolutely bonkers and borderline impossible to solo, even with maxed quantum CPUs and endgame equipment. Figuring out your ships to be able to tackle drone swarms and other endgame content is fun and engaging, where you need special ways to survive 500+ degree molten planets and stuff (albeit briefly).

A couple seasons back we played to get loaded up for PVP and it was pretty fun way to spend a fuckload of resources. We had enough resources stocked for like 4-5 giant mega-Pvp-CVs and played the pvp game for a while, quickly realizing the name of the game is circlestrafing your target to outrun their turrets. It's not quite that simple but it does seem to play a large factor and when you are not doing circles you are getting owned at 4-5x the rate of the enemy doing it. I think I only won 1 or 2 pvp battles ever but it was still pretty fun/intense compared to regular PvE content.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Spudalicious posted:

Didn't know there were other HWS goons out there.
I think maybe 2 here have done HWS before years ago, but the others that are going to get in including myself only basically know it exists and mostly did private server games of Reforged Eden coop kind of stuff. I am kind of concerned about the turret circling thing for PvP which I've done for PvE, but blowing up bases and having my bases blown up is pretty fun to me so at least there will probably be that.

Also while I'm posting here since there doesn't seem to be a solo thread for it yet, some of us are also going to be doing V Rising tomorrow for EA release which I can best analogize as vampire Valheim but with a lot more PvE stuff and moba style attacks and you burn in daylight. There's also pvp servers which I would guess most of us will be on but there might be some PvE only people as well.

Official trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9aaaHhajv0
Some youtube guy talking about his closed beta time and a bunch of the different stuff in the game and how it plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV6NXc-VWoA

Suzera fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 16, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

SexyBlindfold posted:

General consensus: combat bad, everything else good to very good. Like many games of its type, a lot of the challenge is lost once you jump the early hurdle of fighting off starvation and surviving the winter, but the various mechanisms you need to build for advanced crafting (windmills, forges, stills, pottery, etc) add more stuff to keep you on your toes. And that's if you're not the type of player who's simply satisfied building and/or chiseling pretty-looking stuff, in which case the game has you set for ages.

I’m not usually but I can be if there are incentives to do that. I loved messing around in Valhiem and redecorating my buildings since you could get comfort bonuses and so forth. That and the building system being pretty engaging.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

speaking of Valheim I'm really bummed it had such a strong initial EA release and then just ..........................................

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Warbird posted:

I’m not usually but I can be if there are incentives to do that. I loved messing around in Valhiem and redecorating my buildings since you could get comfort bonuses and so forth. That and the building system being pretty engaging.

decorations don't confer any bonuses in VS, though there are mechanical bonuses to things like maintaining a varied diet, having a nice bed, building an actual proper fully-enclosed house instead of some little lump of dirt blocks, etc.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah this was me at first. I tried to play Subnautica when it first came out and 100% could not do it, the panic is too loving real. Getting out of the initial baby area and building a base was huge, I felt so powerful.

It absolutely fuckin ruled to go from being literally too scared to play the game to docking my mini sub in the moon pool and unloading my fat haul of loot that I ripped from the abyssal dark.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Suzera posted:

Also while I'm posting here since there doesn't seem to be a solo thread for it yet, some of us are also going to be doing V Rising tomorrow for EA release which I can best analogize as vampire Valheim but with a lot more PvE stuff and moba style attacks and you burn in daylight. There's also pvp servers which I would guess most of us will be on but there might be some PvE only people as well.

Official trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9aaaHhajv0
Some youtube guy talking about his closed beta time and a bunch of the different stuff in the game and how it plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV6NXc-VWoA

I've been interested in this but it feels like there is no hype or exposure around it. That guy on youtube is the most substantial information about the game out. Everything else is sparse and straight out of the press kit. I'd like to convince some friends to play but I don't have a lot of clue what I'd be convincing them to play other than overhead thirdperson survival game.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Lawlicaust posted:

I've been interested in this but it feels like there is no hype or exposure around it. That guy on youtube is the most substantial information about the game out. Everything else is sparse and straight out of the press kit. I'd like to convince some friends to play but I don't have a lot of clue what I'd be convincing them to play other than overhead thirdperson survival game.
Yeah, it's kind of annoying. They had an NDA for the closed beta. I don't have a lot of extra information beyond what's in that second video either since I didn't manage to get a key, but I do feel like it's probably a pretty good overview of the game's current content categories. The people I know that were in it said they had fun and all said it's worth the $20. It's also worth noting for pvp stuff that this isn't really a population avalanche game since individual (at least official) servers are limited to 40 people online each of them at once. It's not an MMO. And clans are technically limited to 4, though I don't know that anything stops you from sharing castle access or helping with sieges other than you have to watch friendly fire.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SexyBlindfold posted:

Honestly my biggest problem with Vintage Story is prospecting. You need the optional, off-by-default method to even have a reasonable chance, but even with it on, at default ore spawn rates you're going to be wandering vast overland areas just digging little short boreholes in the ground here and there just to try and find a trace of whatever one material is bottlenecking you. It's so tedious and it's the same problem Terrafirma Craft had, just unreasonable amounts of wandering because all the biomes and ore deposits are so spaced out. Finding ore sucks and it's not enjoyable and next time I play I'll probably just turn on an xray cheat or something because I don't feel a single thing is gained, gameplay-wise, by prospecting.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly my biggest problem with Vintage Story is prospecting. You need the optional, off-by-default method to even have a reasonable chance, but even with it on, at default ore spawn rates you're going to be wandering vast overland areas just digging little short boreholes in the ground here and there just to try and find a trace of whatever one material is bottlenecking you. It's so tedious and it's the same problem Terrafirma Craft had, just unreasonable amounts of wandering because all the biomes and ore deposits are so spaced out. Finding ore sucks and it's not enjoyable and next time I play I'll probably just turn on an xray cheat or something because I don't feel a single thing is gained, gameplay-wise, by prospecting.

I've posted this before in this thread, but I'll requote it in case it helps you or anyone else with ore:

StarkRavingMad posted:

It took me FOREVER to figure out how to effectively use the prospecting pick, and finding tin can be a real pain. Some things to realize:

In density search mode, it's going to give you the same results for everything in the same "chunk" (map square you are standing on). Only the first block you destroy matters, the other two are just there to make prospecting a non-trivial task.

What you want to do is find any chunk with any appreciable amount of what you're looking for, and then use that as a starting point to find the "local peak" for that ore. Meaning that there will be a chunk with the highest percentage of ore somewhere, and then a lot of chunks with less surrounding it, like a heat map almost. So if you're seeing, say, 0.5%, move a few chunks in one direction, pro-pick again, and see if that percentage goes up or down. If it went down, try the other direction. If it went up, keep going in that direction until it peaks and starts to go down again. Then find the peak on the other axis. In this way, you can go from that crappy 0.5% which may just be the very edge of the ore area to a more respectable percentage. Then start digging shafts down and use the node search mode (if you have that enabled) to find what you're looking for.

There's also a good mod here that will keep track of your prospecting info as on overlay on your map: https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1235, which is where I first saw the description of finding a "local peak." I like it because it's not really cheating, it doesn't tell you anything you didn't actually prospect, but it can keep track of where you've seen ore percentages without having to drop markers all over your map and manually fill them in. It can also be helpful to see when you've moved to a different chunk.

Also, don't be afraid to prospect underwater. You can't drown, and the local peak can be at the bottom of an ocean. Well, at least you couldn't drown in the previous version, I haven't tried the newest release yet.

Finding out that you could trace ore deposits back to a local peak rather than them just being randomly strewn across the map helped me a lot.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

speaking of Valheim I'm really bummed it had such a strong initial EA release and then just ..........................................

My impression is that the Valheim devs fell prey to the usual EA success fallacy. They made a ton of money and started hiring a ton of people, then had to spend a year training those people and doing various admin related stuff which has culminated in not much at all being released. I'd say it's 50/50 if they release a huge content pack or fold up, but they've spent a ton of money and probably have already sold most of the copies they ever will.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

StarkRavingMad posted:

I've posted this before in this thread, but I'll requote it in case it helps you or anyone else with ore:

Finding out that you could trace ore deposits back to a local peak rather than them just being randomly strewn across the map helped me a lot.
Even so, you have to find it first. Certain rare metals you'll wander miles and never find so much as a trace of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

My impression is that the Valheim devs fell prey to the usual EA success fallacy. They made a ton of money and started hiring a ton of people, then had to spend a year training those people and doing various admin related stuff which has culminated in not much at all being released. I'd say it's 50/50 if they release a huge content pack or fold up, but they've spent a ton of money and probably have already sold most of the copies they ever will.

I think I would still give them the benefit of the doubt, holding out for a major patch (Mistlands?) at this point. I personally played a LOT of Valheim with friends when it released so I wouldn't be returning for lots of little content patches anyway.

It's the same situation I kinda have with SCUM. We played it a hell of a lot the first+ year or so when it came out of EA but the basic gameplay loop still haven't changed at all, and they're seemingly content of adding graphical updates than gameplay updates. Modular building seems to be on the menu and that _might_ be a big enough thing to interest us. Cars are first and structures sometime after.

While I'm on the subject of SCUM, it's kinda amusing that latest news is a Danny Trejo playable character DLC, which I admit sounds rather awesome... already imagining three Dannys taking a dump, fighting zombies and shouting his catchphrases. But still, the basic gameplay will be the same, no matter how many airplanes they add to the game and it SORELY needs improvements.