Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acy17qSNPhM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I'm finally about to pull the trigger on a Litter Robot, but before we do so, we need to switch our kitties over to a clumping litter. We've used Catsan non-clumping so far, which we get delivered with the food shopping, so I ordered the same brand's clumping version - but it's very odd, smells and clumps like cous cous. The cats are suspicious.

I know the general advice is to mix the new stuff in with the old so they get used to it, but does that work with a mix of clumping and non-clumping?

[EU based] If this one doesn't work out, does anyone have a recommendation to use with the Robot? The top-rated on Zooplus seem to be Tigerino or Cat's Best brands.

Could also try the supermarket's own brand, easier to get it every week with the shopping, but I'd rather get a good one (not too dusty or tracky, cats like it) even if it means ordering it from elsewhere.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Are you staying away from clay-based litters? Clumping isn't the only concern for the litter robot, its if it also sticks to the walls. I've tried lots of brands but the one I think works best is arm & hammer SLIDE, since it doesn't clump against the bottom when they urinate. Other brands I've used with it will and you get to watch the piss-litter-barnacle rotate to the top and then back to the bottom.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Blackchamber posted:

Are you staying away from clay-based litters? Clumping isn't the only concern for the litter robot, its if it also sticks to the walls. I've tried lots of brands but the one I think works best is arm & hammer SLIDE, since it doesn't clump against the bottom when they urinate. Other brands I've used with it will and you get to watch the piss-litter-barnacle rotate to the top and then back to the bottom.

Yeah this is where I'm getting muddled. The Catsan Natural cous-cous stuff is sticky and therefore would stick to the walls of the Robot, which is undesirable (I assume!)

The Robot site says to use clay-based, low-dust litter - is that the "standard" kind of clumping litter, as opposed to fancy "natural" or "wood-based" ones? I'm not staying away from it specifically, unless there's a reason to.

Like, this one looks nice but it's wood-based somehow, so I guess it depends how sticky the clumps are

https://www.zooplus.nl/customerpicturedisplay/shop/katten/kattenbakvulling/klontende_kattenbakvulling/catsbest/21337

E: I don't think we have Arm & Hammer over here. From googling around I'm homing in on Tigerino I think - I might order one to try. Gotta love Zooplus reviews though. "5 stars, clumps great and smells fine" - "1 star, doesn't clump properly and smells awful".

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 16, 2022

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Bobstar posted:

Yeah this is where I'm getting muddled. The Catsan Natural cous-cous stuff is sticky and therefore would stick to the walls of the Robot, which is undesirable (I assume!)

The Robot site says to use clay-based, low-dust litter - is that the "standard" kind of clumping litter, as opposed to fancy "natural" or "wood-based" ones? I'm not staying away from it specifically, unless there's a reason to.

Like, this one looks nice but it's wood-based somehow, so I guess it depends how sticky the clumps are

https://www.zooplus.nl/customerpicturedisplay/shop/katten/kattenbakvulling/klontende_kattenbakvulling/catsbest/21337

E: I don't think we have Arm & Hammer over here. From googling around I'm homing in on Tigerino I think - I might order one to try. Gotta love Zooplus reviews though. "5 stars, clumps great and smells fine" - "1 star, doesn't clump properly and smells awful".

Hello, fellow dutchie! For what it's worth, we used Tigerino crystals for a while when we just had one cat but she started protesting by peeing on our clothing (too sharp for her little princess paws). We've cycled through the wood-pellets (smelly, doesn't clump as well as clay) but as much as I would love to save the planet, I'd like my home to not smell of piss even more.
We now use a fancy version of fine clay litter: https://www.zooplus.nl/shop/katten/kattenbakvulling/biokats/premium_expert/430379

Once tried selling my partner on the litter robot but he took one look at the european price and declared me of unsound mind. One day!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I don't have a litter robot but I do use the Cat's Best litter. It's pretty good, generally cuts down on stink(unless they get the poop ghosts early and rocket out of the box without covering it) and clumps quite well I think? Does kinda glue itself to the bottom of the tray if there's insufficient litter:pee ratio but I assume the robot might compensate for that.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I brought the shelter guys a scratcher house this weekend. All was well, cats were enjoying it...

And then Corky saw it. And where something nice exists, he must destroy.

At least the rest of the cats still enjoyed what was standing after he broke both side walls, and it was only 7 bucks so even brief enjoyment is fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those cardboard play houses started showing up a few years ago, originally they were pretty sturdy and would last a year or more. But someone realized it's an untapped market and capitalism did its race to the bottom thing, they're now all incredibly cheap and flimsy to the point they barely hold a cat's weight.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

xzzy posted:

Those cardboard play houses started showing up a few years ago, originally they were pretty sturdy and would last a year or more. But someone realized it's an untapped market and capitalism did its race to the bottom thing, they're now all incredibly cheap and flimsy to the point they barely hold a cat's weight.

In this case it's a combination of that and of Corky, specifically, being a destructive little poo poo - he climbed inside through the "main" door and immediately started bunny kicking the side wall until it broke. A more robust one might have survived longer, but he's not a fan of new things in "his" space (and he's been there for over 10 years, as far as he's concerned it is his space). Better than him spraying all over it, though, I guess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are you supposed to trim the hair around the footpads?

She doesn't seem bothered by anything there but it certainly seems long. I don't know if I'm remembering doing this for my dog as a kid or something but it's in my head this is something you sometimes have to do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can if you want I guess, but it's harmless to leave there. It's a cold adaptation that some cats get. Certain breeds get foot tufts two inches long.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, leave 'em be

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Wish I was at home so I could take a picture of Sinjin’s toe tufts!

Quill’s really aren’t that long. Longer haired cats’ toe tufts can get matted so some people keep them trimmed. I sometimes trim Sinjin’s tufts because of they track litter like crazy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Awesome, thanks everyone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crocobile posted:

Wish I was at home so I could take a picture of Sinjin’s toe tufts!

Hot fresh Abigail toe tufts right here.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

eating only apples posted:

Hello. I'm about 4 days out from welcoming a 9-week-old kitten into my second floor flat

Just wanted to update and thank people for the kind advice of "chill out". Ferdie has been here a while and he's a cool guy. He likes cuddles and food and biting everything. He spends four hours every day sprinting around the room and trying to destroy everything he owns, and the rest of the time he is asleep in increasingly ridiculous positions. I love him and it is impossible to get a non-blurry photo of him. He is 14 weeks old today.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Just wanted to update and thank people for the kind advice of "chill out". Ferdie has been here a while and he's a cool guy. He likes cuddles and food and biting everything. He spends four hours every day sprinting around the room and trying to destroy everything he owns, and the rest of the time he is asleep in increasingly ridiculous positions. I love him and it is impossible to get a non-blurry photo of him. He is 14 weeks old today.

:kimchi: now that's a cute cat right there. Glad he settled in!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VelociBacon posted:

Are you supposed to trim the hair around the footpads?

She doesn't seem bothered by anything there but it certainly seems long. I don't know if I'm remembering doing this for my dog as a kid or something but it's in my head this is something you sometimes have to do.

If your cat goes out in the snow the tufts can trap ice crystals, salt, etc., and cause problems. If your cat doesn't go outside or you don't have snow it's not a problem.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
My cat keeps leaving litter and poo poo outside the litter box, is it too small for him? I think he's literally kicking it all out when going to the bathroom.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 17, 2022

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat is a Norwegian forest cat, so her feet look like this:

(Not my picture)

I don't trim them, I figure if she can keep the rest of her fur clean those hairs won't make a difference. If she went out in mud a lot I might consider it, but I don't let her out unsupervised.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
You've got to get high-walled litter boxes, and put litter mats under and in front of them. Some cats just do that.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Hello, fellow dutchie! For what it's worth, we used Tigerino crystals for a while when we just had one cat but she started protesting by peeing on our clothing (too sharp for her little princess paws). We've cycled through the wood-pellets (smelly, doesn't clump as well as clay) but as much as I would love to save the planet, I'd like my home to not smell of piss even more.
We now use a fancy version of fine clay litter: https://www.zooplus.nl/shop/katten/kattenbakvulling/biokats/premium_expert/430379

Once tried selling my partner on the litter robot but he took one look at the european price and declared me of unsound mind. One day!

Thanks! I went ahead and grabbed a bag of that at Ranzijn, we'll see how it goes.

Yeah it's not cheap, and if people didn't rave about it I'd be in two minds, but I'm hoping it's a case of getting what you pay for. I could certainly see someone attempting the same concept for €200 and it being a buggy mess.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

He spends four hours every day sprinting around the room and trying to destroy everything he owns

Lucky bastard, mine try to destroy everything they own and everything I own for good measure.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I feel like I had some good luck that when we adopted Mini-Scratcher (he was almost full-grown already at about 6 months but very much a kitten still) he immediately attached himself to my 15-year-old cat Jackie - I’ve never seen anything like it it was as if they were an immediate bonded pair - at least as far as Mini was concerned. Took Jackie a few months to catch up.

Anyway the great thing about this was that she totally managed all his obnoxious kittenish behavior *just* enough to keep him from ever getting too annoying. She’d growl at him and literally smack him upside the head with the soft part of her paw whenever he’d get a bit too rambunctious - that sort of thing. I feel like she did a pretty great job teaching him how to be an indoor cat. And conversely, Mini has made Jackie a lot more active and playful than I ever thought I would see her again, which is really wonderful. Jackie likes to act as if she only barely tolerates Mini, but in reality I’m pretty sure she likes him more than any other cat she’s encountered since she was a kitten herself.

They’re so freaking adorable together :3:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Bobstar posted:

Thanks! I went ahead and grabbed a bag of that at Ranzijn, we'll see how it goes.

Yeah it's not cheap, and if people didn't rave about it I'd be in two minds, but I'm hoping it's a case of getting what you pay for. I could certainly see someone attempting the same concept for €200 and it being a buggy mess.

Post a review! (and let me know if they use the referral system in europe)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaworu posted:

I feel like I had some good luck that when we adopted Mini-Scratcher (he was almost full-grown already at about 6 months but very much a kitten still) he immediately attached himself to my 15-year-old cat Jackie - I’ve never seen anything like it it was as if they were an immediate bonded pair - at least as far as Mini was concerned. Took Jackie a few months to catch up.

This is pretty common with cats, fortunately. :) Introducing two full grown cats to each other is always a chancy business, but an adult cat with a kitten usually goes much better. Most cats are incredibly tolerant of a new kitten showing up.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

This is pretty common with cats, fortunately. :) Introducing two full grown cats to each other is always a chancy business, but an adult cat with a kitten usually goes much better. Most cats are incredibly tolerant of a new kitten showing up.

I've heard among cat colonies it's not uncommon for one cat to watch another's kittens

I wonder if it's easier to introduce a kitten because they assume it's just a new baby that's part of the family now, rather than a foreign cat from outside the household

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Presumably cats find kittens cute too

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I've heard among cat colonies it's not uncommon for one cat to watch another's kittens

I wonder if it's easier to introduce a kitten because they assume it's just a new baby that's part of the family now, rather than a foreign cat from outside the household

It's not uncommon for cats in colonies with nursing kittens to nurse another cat's kittens. The best guess is that the cats themselves loose track of whose kitten is whose and the kittens themselves neither know nor care, they're just hungry.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

We had a few kittens born at the shelter this past weekend (pregnant cat came in the same day), and the kittens immediately went to their "aunt" to nurse while mom was still giving birth, according to our medicators. It's a thing, apparently.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Really! I find stuff like this (and the above posts since your) fascinating. Although it does make a fair amount of intuitive sense that an adult cat and a kitten who have never met one another would get along much better than two adults - I think we all know that’s a pretty fraught process even under the best of circumstances.

I was worried about Jackie in particular though - I don’t know if any of you remember the circumstances of my adopting her (it was 12 years ago at least but it’s probably still documented in this freaking thread!) but it happened because she was totally unable to get along with two new kittens that my parents adopted when Jackie was 3-4 years old - it wound up with them sort of mercilessly taunting her, and Jackie growing utterly miserable and growling and hissing at everyone and everything. So I took her and she was immediately way happier and her normal self again as an only cat.

That’s why I was fairly trepidatious about the possibility of her having to deal with another kitten on a constant basis - there was the possibility for things to go REALLY bad, and I truly was not at all sure what to expect. Which is why I was so truly delighted that not only did they get along, but they actually *bonded* - as per the above pic with Mini-Scratcher grooming Jackie.

To be honest I think some of it is Mini’s personality - he has this utterly guileless and sweet temperament, he doesn’t seem to have a mean or disagreeable bone in his body. It’s kind of an odd trait to see in a feral cat, such extreme gentleness.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I unfortunately called one of my roommates out on being lazy- I was ultimately called a racist.

One of the things that I've noticed with said roommate is that they stay up in their room playing video games all day and do not buy litter or food for the cats in the house.

Rarely do they do any chore in taking care of the cats.

Breakdown: I have one remaining cat that is 15 and a half years old-

One cat belongs to another roommate- that roommate does buy litter and food, and takes care of the litter boxes. No problems there.

The other two roommates have not purchased litter on the regular or bought cat food for the remaining Kitty. This cat came into our house because my past roommate was neglectful and left the kitten in a hot apartment for 2 days without access to food or water. He became our house cat and the couple I am mentioning have really taken him in, and treat him as their own.

Out of the couple- one partner does all the chores for the other, and gets infuriatingly frustrated with her.

Since I have been called toxic and racist- still no chores are done and the cats suffer because neither of them scoop the litter box everyday. They are both stonewalling and cooped up in their room. Not to mention that the said lazy roommate also shits and vomits in the toilets and doesn't scrub the bowls clean when they are done. (She has Crohn's- doesn't keep a healthy diet and smokes weed to the point of puking)

I have been recently championing and taking care of this myself- the cats end up fighting and tracking poo poo around the house because of neglect.

Thankfully I finally switched jobs where I have time to do all of these chores. The roommate that takes care of thier cat currently has covid and his quarantined in their room so they unfortunately cannot do a lot of these tasks.

Aita- I understand that I've benefit from privilege, however, I find it absolutely bullshit that someone claims I'm being unfair.

:(

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

It sounds like it's your cat? Or am I not understanding the quantity of cat?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You shouldn’t even respond or think twice about it if someone accuses you of being racist because they are being a horrible pet owner.

It’s just lovely deflection from them being bad people.

People who don’t take care of their pets are bad people.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

There are many reasons why you can’t and shouldn’t do it, but having a tiger with all its claws and teeth taken out would be so cool. Big ol kitty cat to cuddle with.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 20, 2022

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

owls or something posted:

It sounds like it's your cat? Or am I not understanding the quantity of cat?

One cat is mine-
One is a roommates-
The other is considered a house cat that the two problematic roommates treat has their own

Also I am not looking for confirmation bias, here.

I've been in a confused loop lately from being stonewalled. My partner called it gaslighting.

Bina fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 20, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bina posted:

One cat is mine-
One is a roommates-
The other is considered a house cat that the two problematic roommates treat has their own

Also I am not looking for confirmation bias, here.

I've been in a confused loop lately from being stonewalled. My partner called it gaslighting.

Sorry what's the cat question again

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry what's the cat question again

Aita for being the only one cleaning up after three cats and making sure they aren't neglected? Didn't know if anyone else has had a similar situation where other roommates were neglecting animal care.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, taking care of kitties is fine. The rest of it has nothing to do with cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bina posted:

Aita for being the only one cleaning up after three cats and making sure they aren't neglected? Didn't know if anyone else has had a similar situation where other roommates were neglecting animal care.

Sounds more like an e/n thing? I imagine our recommendation here is 'yeah take care of the cat please'. Everyone in that living situation seems kinda hosed up so I just hope the cats are alright.