Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Being against those kinds of laws seems extremely reasonable to me.

But again - his solution was to be against all bicycle infrastructure. He literally believed that separated bike paths were more dangerous than riding in traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Literally he explains the exact type of law he is opposed to in Effective Cycling:

The reason he wrote Effective Cycling was because some places in california were actually installing bike paths in the 1970s and a couple of those were trying to pass this kind of law. The way John Forester fought the laws was to go convince municipalities in california that were actually installing bike paths that they would be liable for any injuries that occurred in them so they needed to stop making bike paths, so he was not just defending cyclists rights, he was actually sabotaging attempts to build bike infrastructure.

Wow, California sounds like a toilet.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mystes posted:

Literally he explains the exact type of law he is opposed to in Effective Cycling:

Now, I don't think those laws are good, but it's important in terms of the context of what he was trying to do that he was opposed to laws that would make cyclists use bike paths when available, because the reason he wrote Effective Cycling was because some places in california were actually installing bike paths in the 1970s and a couple of those were trying to pass this kind of law (if they didn't have bike paths these laws would have been pointless).

The way John Forester fought the laws was to go convince municipalities in california that were actually installing bike paths that they would be liable for any injuries that occurred in them so they needed to stop making bike paths ASAP, so he was not just defending cyclists rights, he was actually sabotaging attempts to build bike infrastructure.

lol who hurt that guy, a bunch of longboarders must've taunted the poo poo out of him

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Weembles posted:

But again - his solution was to be against all bicycle infrastructure. He literally believed that separated bike paths were more dangerous than riding in traffic.

What about being forced to make a left turn from a far-right bike way? Seems extremely unsafe to me.

mystes posted:

The reason he wrote Effective Cycling was because some places in california were actually installing bike paths in the 1970s and a couple of those were trying to pass this kind of law. The way John Forester fought the laws was to go convince municipalities in california that were actually installing bike paths that they would be liable for any injuries that occurred in them so they needed to stop making bike paths, so he was not just defending cyclists rights, he was actually sabotaging attempts to build bike infrastructure.

Hmm. I admit I don't know much about the specifics of the public sentiment to biking in California at the time, but I do know that California was and is extremely car-brained, so I could see them trying to functionally ban cycling under the guise of safety without actually making bikes illegal and that is what I think would be reasonable to be against.
I can concede that Forrester actually was the prototypical entitled bike enthusiast that car people project upon every biker they see.

mystes
May 31, 2006

He was literally just a recreational cyclist who wanted to ride road bikes fast and since that's all he cared about, he was happy to sabotage bike infrastructure as long as he could prevent any law that could possibly force him to ride bike paths.

Like even if the concerns were real he did it in absolutely the worst way possible and everyone probably would have been better off if he wasn't around to do it,
because the best thing for cyclists rights isn't guaranteeing the right to bike on highways or something, it's having lots of people riding bikes who are constantly demanding that real bike infrastructure be created.

The other galling thing is that Davis was the first place in california that started building bike paths in the 60s, and even then they were specifically looking at what the Netherlands was doing. Even though Forester pretended to care about safety and pulled out some made up statistics about bike paths being unsafe, he refused to look at what other countries including the Netherlands were doing for literally his entire life.

If he really cared about improving bike safety, he easily could have looked at what was working in other countries at any time, but even though he lived a long time he completely refused. I don't think there's any explanation except that he only cared about being able to ride bikes at high speeds on the road and realized that making things genuinely safe for everyone to bike like in the Netherlands might actually make that harder, so he was happier to create a situation where almost nobody bikes because it's stupidly dangerous.

The correct approach isn't guaranteeing that cyclists can theoretically ride on any road (even though it's unsafe), it's to separate bikes and cars while simultaneously ensuring that bikes have efficient routes to get around everywhere, like in the netherlands, and that's literally the opposite of what John Forester wanted.

mystes has issued a correction as of 06:00 on May 14, 2022

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

mystes posted:

The other galling thing is that Davis was the first place in california that started building bike paths in the 60s, and even then they were specifically looking at what the Netherlands was doing. Even though Forester pretended to care about safety and pulled out some made up statistics about bike paths being unsafe, he refused to look at what other countries including the Netherlands were doing for literally his entire life.

He did look at what the Netherlands was doing. Sort of.

He used some tortured statistics to compare injury statistics between the wide demographics that biked in the Netherlands (which included children and the elderly) with injury statistics in the very narrow cycling community he knew (which was mostly young athletes) and conclude that dutch style bike paths were more dangerous than riding in traffic.

I can't stress enough - he knew exactly what the options were. He just rejected all of them in favor of imposing the sort of riding he enjoyed onto everyone.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

I've never felt more like I'm living in a cyberpunk dystopia than the time I spotted a massive fat man in a motorcycle helmet riding one of those electric unicycle things on a bike path, holding completely still and hunched forward in the posture of a hanged corpse, gliding eerily along

gimmie a wave next time

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gotta love the thought process on this rear end in a top hat. "My car wont slow down, better leave the only space it might be safe to go this fast!"

I know he's lying and was probably just asleep or some poo poo but drat

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
goons with derailleurs that wont move well:

your derailleur cables are hosed, pop that poo poo out of the housing stays and lube it

also spray a bunch of pbblaster into the shifters

BING BONG

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lol at the museums tab

Weembles posted:

Every podcast is a slog to someone.

I hope conan o brien never finds a friend

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Wow, California sounds like a toilet.

It's a democratic stronghold, op

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 12:07 on May 14, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1524767805442523136#m

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

so true! car brain is bad for everyone!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

If true it's just another reason nobody is in any hurry to change things

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1525706762451841024

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Milo and POTUS posted:

If true it's just another reason nobody is in any hurry to change things

They gentrified Kowloon walled city?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

no they smashed it and put a park there iirc

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

love to have one of these every day

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

War and Pieces posted:

Did you quote the right thing lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

War and Pieces posted:

The Walled City was torn down decades ago.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Kowloon Walled City?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

*wallable

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Suplex Liberace posted:

no they smashed it and put a park there iirc

they unpaved paradise and put up a park in the lot

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/McCueChris/status/1526210443630350336?t=gM9agmrF6oM1rfrnli3w-w&s=19

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://twitter.com/kron4news/status/1526208069914484736

:sickos:

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Wonder how much torque you'd need on a few ebikes to draw and quarter a billionaire

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:lol: $1.65/L? that's not even very expensive

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PittTheElder posted:

it's not but america has very bad terminal case of the carbrain. unfortunately, there is no treatment

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Imagine that every drive is 2-3 times as long and you also have to pay for health insurance

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

PittTheElder posted:

if you convert USD to CAD it's 2.12/L which is basically what it is here in montréal

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Wonder how much torque you'd need on a few ebikes to draw and quarter a billionaire

Too much effort

https://twitter.com/arlenparsa/status/1520216455383552001

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

no ebikes necessary

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

any use case for an ebike is better served by either a real bike or a motorcycle

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

ArmZ posted:

any use case for an ebike is better served by either a real bike or a motorcycle

you seem to be suffering from carbrain my friend

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

you seem to be suffering from carbrain my friend

no car mentioned in my post

ebike brain is real

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Petanque posted:

if you convert USD to CAD it's 2.12/L which is basically what it is here in montréal

See I thought about including that conversion, but keep in mind that Americans are being paid in USD, and their median household income is basically identical to ours (with California's being much higher). There's probably more inequality at play which is an issue of course, but that's still basically Alberta pricing, not civilized place pricing.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

This is rad. But I usually look like a schlub when I bike, so will probably be more like this.

Turkmenistan president shooting from bicycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBAJ5lXW6DM

Huh. This dictator really likes bicycles. Even pushed a pro bicycle resolution in the UN.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

yeah but you prob have decent public transit, we don't

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

ArmZ posted:

:wrong:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

actionjackson posted:

yeah but you prob have decent public transit, we don't

yeah its called their feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
does anyone have the quote comparing cares to stately beachfront villas? i'd like to read it again. :cheerdoge: