Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

PoptartsNinja posted:

Look up a youtube video for your make/model of airbrush is my suggestion.

Yeah, this.

They’re different, and they come apart differently. Some need tools, some don’t. Some can be overtightened and break, some can’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I just mostly finished a painboss and thanks to your guys tips, im very pleased with myself. The grot did look good but kept falling off his base so the amount of glue hosed up the paint a bit

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Spirit Otter posted:

I just mostly finished a painboss and thanks to your guys tips, im very pleased with myself. The grot did look good but kept falling off his base so the amount of glue hosed up the paint a bit

Fanatic and I love the effects on the base.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I really lile that stuff too, and it was so cheap, 6 cad for a 4"x4"x2" tub which contains what i can only assume is a lifetime supply

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My Spirit Otter posted:

I really lile that stuff too, and it was so cheap, 6 cad for a 4"x4"x2" tub which contains what i can only assume is a lifetime supply

Yeah, that stuff lasts a very long time. You can even buy a static electricity kit for the static grass that will help it stand upright (linked below). There is a great YouTube channel called "Luke Towan" that does a lot of great diorama work that has a lot of great tips and tricks that would be helpful for basing (also linked below). The kit is actual pretty expensive though but you can get similar results by teasing the static grass by letting the glue set a little bit then holding the model upside and gently use mechanical agitation of the base, perhaps by flicking a finger, to get the strands to hang vertically. Another option is using an airbrush that is empty or canned air from a distance to gently puff the grass up.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandsce...9saAuegEALw_wcB

https://www.youtube.com/c/LukeTowan

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
If I did it over again, I wouldn't pick "lighter red robe over darker red armor", but overall I'm really happy with how this converted World Eaters Dark Apostle turned out.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Why do my washes end up looking so messy? I'm trying to make sure nothing pools, but am I moving the wash too much when I do that?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Lucinice posted:

Why do my washes end up looking so messy? I'm trying to make sure nothing pools, but am I moving the wash too much when I do that?

When you say "pools" do you mean its collecting in the cracks and crevices or it's forming little tide marks on the flat surfaces? If the former, a wash is meant to do that - if it's a bit too much, I'd just wick it out by barely touching the tip of your brush to the pooled wash to suck up moisture without actually moving anything around. If the latter, you can try either putting down a gloss varnish before the wash so that there's less "tooth" for the wash to grab onto outside of the crevices, or you can add a drop or two of flow improver to accomplish the same thing and break up surface tension (I believe you can also do this with a drop of dish soap, but flow improver is cheap and there's always a chance that your particular brand of soap has some other chemicals or colorants in it that don't play nice with your wash). Some washes also behave worse than others in terms of being uneven and leaving tide marks, so it might just be the brand you're using.

Washes are also just kinda inherently a bit messier / more unpredictable, in exchange for being very fast and easy to apply. For really smooth shading or contrast you're going to be getting into glazes / blends / filters, etc.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

When you say "pools" do you mean its collecting in the cracks and crevices or it's forming little tide marks on the flat surfaces?
I don't know what tide marks are but I assume that's what's there. There's just weird streaks and splotches whenever I use washes.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Washes are also just kinda inherently a bit messier / more unpredictable, in exchange for being very fast and easy to apply. For really smooth shading or contrast you're going to be getting into glazes / blends / filters, etc.

Know any good tutorials for that stuff?

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 17, 2022

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

as always, Vince Venturella has a video on that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbCtUYFwFWQ

Marco Frisoni also has a decent video on it as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_HiDJ-4eqQ

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The Warhipster on YouTube has some really good videos on painting primarily with contrast paints, and he recently put out a general "how to use contrasts" video.

https://youtu.be/y_5cLbGBpsQ

He is pretty chill and very good, so I'd give a few of his videos a watch. You can pick up the general techniques just from watching one or two plus that tutorial.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Any tips for stripping GW primer from plastic? I usually use LA’s totally awesome or simple green to remove paint, but neither has any real effect on the primer, even after a week or more of soaking . I have some howling banshees with a chalky primer coat I’m trying to rescue.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

DeceasedHorse posted:

Any tips for stripping GW primer from plastic? I usually use LA’s totally awesome or simple green to remove paint, but neither has any real effect on the primer, even after a week or more of soaking . I have some howling banshees with a chalky primer coat I’m trying to rescue.

Isopropyl alcohol or something like biostrip 20. Do not use either of these on resin. They’ll take spray primer off no problem.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Soliciting recommendations for a good drill bit for pinning. So a 1mm metal bit. I can't find one at that size I don't hate for its ineffectiveness. Premium prices are fine.

I've got random bits for larger sizes that are fine, but specifically the small ones are driving me batty with their ubiquitous shittiness. A bit that actually bites and cuts with reasonable force for its size.

I just want to loathe pinning less. Got some heavy gear models that need pinned badly.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Slyphic posted:

Soliciting recommendations for a good drill bit for pinning. So a 1mm metal bit. I can't find one at that size I don't hate for its ineffectiveness. Premium prices are fine.

I've had good luck with these Daewon bits. Being carbide they can be a touch brittle (back them off once in a while and smooth out the hole, get all the debris out) but my sets have been sharp and bitey as hell.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I got this set from Army Painter and they work pretty good. The right sizes for the paper clips I use to pin stuff.

https://shop.thearmypainter.com/us/tl5042p

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Slyphic posted:

I've got random bits for larger sizes that are fine, but specifically the small ones are driving me batty with their ubiquitous shittiness. A bit that actually bites and cuts with reasonable force for its size.

I just want to loathe pinning less. Got some heavy gear models that need pinned badly.

I can't give you my specific brand but I have a small set of jewellers drill bits. Try searching for something along those lines.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I stole mine from my dad’s basement :cool:

You could check there, op

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Best white brush on primer? I like corax white: it has great coverage and is nice and matte, BUT it’s slightly grey which is a problem for glazing sometimes (I’m going over it with fluorescent pink, so the grey really shows). Haven’t tried any others, hence the post

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Recommendations for bright colors that look good on a white undercoat but also have strong pigmentation? I'm on my third coat of yellow for these trial-run tactical marines and I'm starting to think I could stand to play second-edition style Ultramarines or Blood Angels instead of Imperial Fists.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jack B Nimble posted:

Recommendations for bright colors that look good on a white undercoat but also have strong pigmentation? I'm on my third coat of yellow for these trial-run tactical marines and I'm starting to think I could stand to play second-edition style Ultramarines or Blood Angels instead of Imperial Fists.

contrast paints

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

From what I remember from earlier discussions, the trick with yellow is to start from either a brown or possibly even a pink undercoat instead of a white one.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Whatever you do, don’t use black as a base for gold. I’ve been working on my Sternguard Vets forever and the gold still doesn’t look right. I forgot to base brown.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Weird, I did some Necron warriors in gold drybrush over black primer and they came out great. I used a Liquitex Basics acrylic gold over Vallejo air black primer and now I've got three shiney bois that are downright glowing gold. Liquitex is my go-to "I'm gonna use a lot of this so I'm buying artists acrylics in 2 oz bottles" brand.

Some of their colors use heavy metals in the mix, cadmium for example, so be wary of how you're shaping your brushes.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Vallejo do an extra opaque line of paints that does exactly what it says on the tin.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I hated painted yellow, then I watched this video, and now I don't hate yellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZieB-ZO6MA

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Geisladisk posted:

I hated painted yellow, then I watched this video, and now I don't hate yellow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZieB-ZO6MA

:State: yep, that's exactly what I was doing. I'll try again with a fleshy first coat, thanks.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I just got a 3-D printer and first off it’s loving amazing. It’s an ender to Pro, I chose FDM over resin, due to having small children and just general safety hazards compared to using PLA. So I was wondering someone in the 3-D thread, recommended a kyrlon ultimate camo, which I ordered, but I was wondering if there any other tips for painting 3-D printed models or concerns that I need to watch out for?

I’m gonna have so much crap printed out that that machine‘s gonna be running 24/7.

Hell and it’s not even just game stuff, I found a goddamn bust of Arnold Schwarzenegger‘s Conan… and you bet your rear end I’m printing that.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting up some knights I finished from over in the Historical Games thread

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished up my first 3 knights for Baron's War.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My coworker got me a vortex mixer for my birthday so I got him this and other stuff (desk wizard, hobby holder, brushes) for his birthday

That'll show him! :hehe:

Anyways now I kinda want one lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My experience with the Redgrass Wet Palette over the last two years is that it's super convenient in that it never gets mildewy unless you leave it covered for a month with moisture trapped inside (in which case cleaning it with dish detergent and letting the sponge dry out completely solved that problem even though there was no mildew on the sponge itself). Parchment paper works just fine and it's super cheap but I guess it depends on brand because the one I can get from the supermarket actually lets too much water through over time so paints last for a few hours instead of a day with the packaged palette paper. I think the premade wet palettes are totally worth it if homemade wet palettes don't work for you one way or another.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'll probably pick up a premade one because my homemade one always ends up with the paper bubbling or curling regardless of how much I smooth it out. On the plus side my most functional one is a clamshell one and a cut down dishrag.
But I've tried at least two different kinds of paper by this point and they all end up curling and getting bubbly so I might as well just get something that works as intended.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cooked Auto posted:

I'll probably pick up a premade one because my homemade one always ends up with the paper bubbling or curling regardless of how much I smooth it out. On the plus side my most functional one is a clamshell one and a cut down dishrag.
But I've tried at least two different kinds of paper by this point and they all end up curling and getting bubbly so I might as well just get something that works as intended.

I got one at Michaels with a 40% off coupon. You do not need a mini specific wet pallet, just saying.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh for sure, although sadly we don't have a chain like that in our neck of the world so I'll probably just pick up the Army Painter one at some point. (The fact the company is danish will never stop being weird to me.)
That or the GSW one that looks to be almost the same as the AP one except no brush holders. I need to get some Vallejo brush cleaner anyway to get some stubborn paint out of some brushes anyway.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have the redgrass v1 and it's great but it's expensive and I think I might want a bigger one.

I tried the GSW one today and it worked... But it was beading on the paper and the wax like paper is cut too large so that bugs me. It folds up on the edges

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Cooked Auto posted:

Are you soaking your parchment paper overnight?

Luftwaffles
Oct 17, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

Crossposting up some knights I finished from over in the Historical Games thread

Holy smokes these knights own. I love William Marshal, he's my favorite

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Are you soaking your parchment paper overnight?

In this case the thing has been soaking for at least a week since I haven't been painting and is still kinda bubbly.
But otherwise I do forget doing that, so something I'll have to keep in mind.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh for sure, although sadly we don't have a chain like that in our neck of the world so I'll probably just pick up the Army Painter one at some point. (The fact the company is danish will never stop being weird to me.)
That or the GSW one that looks to be almost the same as the AP one except no brush holders. I need to get some Vallejo brush cleaner anyway to get some stubborn paint out of some brushes anyway.

Any art supply shop should have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GSW wet palette

What causes this? My redgrass palette doesn't have this problem...