Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If you are looking for an easy solution to this people make slim drip trays for the gaggia classic.

I use this extremely cheapo scale for my espresso.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O37TDO?psc=1

I bought the Lunar over a year ago, and I generally abhor dealing with the public trying to re-sell things. It works great for espresso, but I wish I bought something a little more reasonable at the time. And honestly, the standard drip tray is small enough as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Can I get a recommendation on a grinder to go with a chemex pour over? It's going to be a gift for a coworker, so something for grinding beans at a desk is ideal

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

kazr posted:

Can I get a recommendation on a grinder to go with a chemex pour over? It's going to be a gift for a coworker, so something for grinding beans at a desk is ideal

how much do you want to spend? hario slim would be my first recommendation, blade grinder if you want to go cheaper than that

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

hypnophant posted:

how much do you want to spend? hario slim would be my first recommendation, blade grinder if you want to go cheaper than that

Less than $60 would probably be ideal. The pour over is a 6 cup if that makes a difference. They currently use an electric blade grinder so noise isn't a factor as long as they aren't significantly louder/take longer. Are hand grinders as big of a pain in the rear end as some say?

That Hario looks perfect for me, thanks for the recommendation!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

kazr posted:

Are hand grinders as big of a pain in the rear end as some say?

that's entirely subjective. nicer hand grinders are certainly easier and faster to use but i can't tell you how much of a pain cranking out ~60g of coffee (if you want to brew the full 30oz chemex) will be for you or your coworker. expect to spend 2-5 minutes cranking with the hario, maybe half that with the nicer timemore c2 which is probably the cheapest worthwhile upgrade from the hario. If that sounds like a dealbreaker, stick with electric.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

With my Kinu M47 with 47mm burrs, it takes about a second per gram at a pourover coarseness, more if I want to go down to espresso grind. I can't find details on the Hario Slim's burr size, but I had one myself many years ago and hated using it because it took too drat long to grind anything. With the greater number of hand grinders on the market these days, I'd highly suggest getting something with at least 38mm burrs

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

hypnophant posted:

that's entirely subjective. nicer hand grinders are certainly easier and faster to use but i can't tell you how much of a pain cranking out ~60g of coffee (if you want to brew the full 30oz chemex) will be for you or your coworker. expect to spend 2-5 minutes cranking with the hario, maybe half that with the nicer timemore c2 which is probably the cheapest worthwhile upgrade from the hario. If that sounds like a dealbreaker, stick with electric.

Looks like the Timemore C2 is exactly what I'm looking for

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The C2 max has higher bean capacity. The regular one holds like 25 grams

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Yeah I started with a Hario Skerton and while it was good to actually get good coffee, it really got a lot of its value from being a cheap, entry level grinder. And it really feels that way after you use it for a while, it's definitely not fast, it's tiresome and the spindle wobbles a bit, but the end result is good coffee. And I think having a hand grinder like that where you can directly see and feel how it works, getting almost hands-on with the coffee, there's something cool about that.

I don't at all regret getting the Hario but I haven't gone back to it since I got my Encore, though I wish I had a quieter option. I can't say whether a better hand grinder like the C2 would be comparable but having an electric grinder is so much better than the Hario, in terms of speed, quality, convenience and so on.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Anyone have experience with the Option-O Lagom Mini? Perhaps compared to a Niche? Looking for a single dosing espresso capable grinder now that I've realized how wildly different shot times are with hand grinder RPM variance.

No exaggerating - with my JX-Pro I can make a shot that pulls in 15 seconds vs 50 seconds just with how fast I grind (slower grind = slower shot). It's absolutely nuts so now I want a static RPM grinder so I have one less variable to worry about.

I'll probably just get a Niche but thought I'd ask on the Mini. Thanks!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If I was using an electric blade grinder I’m not totally sure I’d appreciate the gift of a hand grinder. You’ve just lowered my quality of life for a not-necessarily-appreciable increase in coffee quality. And if I was using an electric blade grinder to begin with, I’m not sure that coffee quality was ever top of my mind.

Maybe I’m being too harsh, ymmv.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Vegetable posted:

If I was using an electric blade grinder I’m not totally sure I’d appreciate the gift of a hand grinder. You’ve just lowered my quality of life for a not-necessarily-appreciable increase in coffee quality. And if I was using an electric blade grinder to begin with, I’m not sure that coffee quality was ever top of my mind.

Maybe I’m being too harsh, ymmv.

You are, at least in my limited experience.

I went from lovely blade grinder to skerton to c2, and each step was a significant improvement.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I picked up an 18-22g IMS basket for my barista express as my tumble down the rabbit hole of this hobby continues. Lord help me.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

couldcareless posted:

I picked up an 18-22g IMS basket for my barista express as my tumble down the rabbit hole of this hobby continues. Lord help me.

Let me know how that is please.

I was considering this as well.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I pulled a shot immediately and realized my go to of 18g for most stuff won't cut it with the size of this thing. I'm gonna up my dose to 20 tomorrow morning and see how it takes and start dialing in from there

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
You can always check your headspace by putting a nickel on top of your puck after you tamp and locking in the portafilter. If there's no dent you can add more, and dose less if there is one. That's the way I usually figure out my max dose size when I get a new bag. IMS baskets aren't really finicky so you should be good once you get the dose size figured out.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

A few weeks in and I've had my first transcendent espresso at home experience. The caffè macchiato I made was sweet, delicious, and showed off all the flavor notes from the bag (cherry, brown sugar, stone fruit). The only problem was that it took considerable effort to get the water through the grounds on my Flair (Neo upgraded to a naked filter). 15g in/30g liquid out took 80s of leaning pretty hard on the lever (no pressure gauge, but the whole thing was flexing).

Where do I go from here? I assume I should be grinding a bit coarser (I'm at 12 clicks from touching on my Timemore C2), but I don't want to lose that flavor.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Higher temperature can get that level of extraction with a coarser grind. What's your preheat method? When I started I resisted steaming for far too long and based on faulty logic.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I have the silicone cap for the cylinder and fill it with boiling water twice, letting it hit equilibrium each time before dumping. How does steaming work?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
What is the German word for how you feel the day after setting up your new Virtuoso ready to use the next morning and evaluate its impact over the 8 year old Capresso when overnight your weeklong cold shuts down your smell but you desperately need a hot beverage to keep your sinuses from plugging up so you make a mug anyway and quaff it in tastelessness as you watch your phone timer tick down and confirm your rapid test shows negative?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
we have an english word for that - agony

e: congrats on your new grinder & hope you feel better

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cheesus posted:

What is the German word for how you feel the day after setting up your new Virtuoso ready to use the next morning and evaluate its impact over the 8 year old Capresso when overnight your weeklong cold shuts down your smell but you desperately need a hot beverage to keep your sinuses from plugging up so you make a mug anyway and quaff it in tastelessness as you watch your phone timer tick down and confirm your rapid test shows negative?

Is this the new version of

EVERY MORNING I OPEN PALM SLAM...

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I installed the PID controller in my Gaggia Classic. I went with the Shades of Coffee Kit, which is very complete but the manual is almost too detailed for its own good. It’s 71 goddamn pages long and goes into exhaustive detail about poo poo that doesn’t matter which makes it hard to find stuff quickly. It also didn’t help that the wires in my machine were different colors than the one in the manual, and there is no ground on it.

But it works awesome! This thing is way more consistent now and it’s great to rip a gooey shot as soon as you twist in the porta filter instead of waiting for the light to turn off and then back on.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

i own every Bionicle posted:

But it works awesome! This thing is way more consistent now and it’s great to rip a gooey shot as soon as you twist in the porta filter instead of waiting for the light to turn off and then back on.

New thread title right there.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 21, 2022

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

couldcareless posted:

Been using this thing all week and I can say it has made my espresso a lot better, especially light roasts. It takes a few tries to get the new dosage amount and dial in the grind, but when you have it on target, the results are fantastic with virtually no channeling.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cheesus posted:

weltschmerz

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Been using this thing all week and I can say it has made my espresso a lot better, especially light roasts. It takes a few tries to get the new dosage amount and dial in the grind, but when you have it on target, the results are fantastic with virtually no channeling.

Thank you.

You’ve convinced me to pull the trigger. Where’d you end up buying it? I was originally looking at the double basket (I think yours is technically the triple basket at 18-22, but I forget) but I had a hard time finding one I was convinced was not a knockoff

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I got it off Amazon here

Now you got me worried I bought a knockoff.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I would never buy something like that from Amazon, I'd be too worried about getting a fake. I think I bought my IMS baskets from a local espresso machine shop, and my VST baskets (which I prefer) from Square Mile.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I rode my bike to the nearest Gaggia repair shop, through potential flood conditions to get a pump replacement sorted

After 8 km of the most ginger riding I have ever done I pulled up to the shop soaking wet and got my gaggia out of my bicycle waterproof storage box and cradled it to the technician
"Please , help my boy he's very sick"

Hopefully getting it back next week or so :)

In other news, someone has been making Hoffman shitposts and it's developing
https://youtu.be/mgla_G2-Xdk

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Is there any benefit for a spring-loaded "calibrated" tamper for espresso? I've been trying to read up on if it's a good idea for idiots like me or snake oil, but all I'm getting is affiliate links and generated copy.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
none except the feel of using them, if you prefer that. tamping pressure was one of those second-wave ideas that has since been shown not to make much difference. self-leveling and a precision fit are nice-to-haves, but a flat base tamper is all you really need

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

DkHelmet posted:

Is there any benefit for a spring-loaded "calibrated" tamper for espresso? I've been trying to read up on if it's a good idea for idiots like me or snake oil, but all I'm getting is affiliate links and generated copy.

The main benefit is it helps you consistently tamp evenly and with the same pressure every time. How much it helps is pretty subjective. Someone recommended this Normcore tamper a while back, and I picked it up. I really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Normcore-58-5mm-Coffee-Tamper-Spring-loaded/dp/B09BTLP4P1

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I think it's probably good for baristas, I can't imagine repeatedly tamping all day is great on your wrist if you're not careful

Gunder
May 22, 2003

DkHelmet posted:

Espresso is hard enough when trying to extract tricky light roasts. I found it a worthwhile investment to use an expensive tamper that ensures I'm tamping level and with equal weight each time.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Bandire posted:

The main benefit is it helps you consistently tamp evenly and with the same pressure every time. How much it helps is pretty subjective. Someone recommended this Normcore tamper a while back, and I picked it up. I really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Normcore-58-5mm-Coffee-Tamper-Spring-loaded/dp/B09BTLP4P1

I like that one too.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

e: wrong thread

ulvir fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 24, 2022

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

If it helps your workflow it helps your workflow, so go with it. That said, tamping is kind of a variable in only one direction; if you're not tamping that hard then puck consistency can vary and a spring tamper can help, but there's an amount of pressure at which a puck is as compressed as any human-scale operation will get it to be, and if you're reaching that level consistently without a spring tamper adding one isn't going to do anything more for you.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I was recently gifted a Breville Bambino. I have their precision brewer and love it, so I imagine this won't be too bad of an addition. I've never used an espresso machine before; anything I should know going in? Good cups to recommend?

I have a Baratza Encore to grind with; its manual says it can grind espresso, but I'm aware that it is an entry-level grinder and espresso requires a bit more finessing of the beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Bambino has a pressurized portafilter. You're good to go and you'll be pulling decent to great shots in no time.