Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Mushroomery is a more modern version in the Heavensward album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Final Fantasy music in general is at the same level as a tossed off film score. Perfectly serviceable but not exciting or great in any way.

I'd honestly say its better than most of the boring atmospheric orchestral film scores that are in most major movies. At least I tend to notice it.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Rutibex posted:

the best music in any final fantasy is matoyas cave :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR06uwC4e20

rutibex what’s a good final fantasy randomizer game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Got a PS5, it feels last gen next to the Series X. Sony add quick resume this is absurd.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It was the ultimate dick move to give you a super sword with an instant KO effect in FF4, and then immediately take it away after the very next boss.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Holy poo poo PS5 why are you so poo poo to boot up. How is Xbox crushing you here???

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ocean Book posted:

rutibex what’s a good final fantasy randomizer game

oh gosh.....there are so many. I like the ones that turn the game into a rogue-like

The best one for FF1 is FF1 Randomizer with Deep Dungeon turned on
https://4-4-0.finalfantasyrandomizer.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwiBCbodcic

The best one for FF4 is called Free Enterprise. It makes an open world rather than a mega-dungeon
http://ff4fe.com/make
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtnbo8PNHR8

The best on for FF5 is called Ancient Cave
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/957/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhKPsJhjbHo

my most favorite one is FF6 Worlds Collide. it turns FF6 into a challenge game:
https://www.ff6wc.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNyEmvfosLQ

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

Holy poo poo PS5 why are you so poo poo to boot up. How is Xbox crushing you here???

Wtf are you even talking about they both turn on instantly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rutibex posted:

TcelesB. A magic spell?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Wtf are you even talking about they both turn on instantly.

I feel like there is an option Im missing because rest mode is not as snappy to recover as the xbox is. I think its actually less the system in this case and the UI just being weirdly convoluted sometimes. Ive gotta do some digging in the options.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Rutibex posted:

oh gosh.....there are so many. I like the ones that turn the game into a rogue-like

thanks that sounds ridiculous :) i think i’ll try 4 cause i wanna get lost in a randomizer for a game i don’t know

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Meta slavery is the worst thing to happen to modern gaming.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Everyone sleeping on Beyond the Beyond.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Only the ones trying to play it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If Sunset Overdrive was a PS game it would have been considered one of the best games of the generation. As it is, it is the most under-rated game of the last gen.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

FoolyCharged posted:

TcelesB. A magic spell?

There was a podcast where two guys were playing through every single FF game and between the two of them they could not figure out the advanced cypher of "this is backwards"

Them trying to figure it out for hours and complain the entire time that they didn't have a world map revealed just how useless gamers are, which I already thought was "very"

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
unpopular video game: Opinions

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I'm playing Triangle Strategy and it is pretty good? I am pleased and surprised. Nintendo has been making GBS threads out horrible first party games these last few years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tripwood posted:

I'm playing Triangle Strategy and it is pretty good? I am pleased and surprised. Nintendo has been making GBS threads out horrible first party games these last few years.

Triangle Strategy isn't first-party Nintendo?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
One winged angel is overrated trash and dancing mad is cool and good

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Barudak posted:

Xbox gamer buys PS5 and you wont believe what happens next!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

fridge corn posted:

One winged angel is overrated trash and dancing mad is cool and good

They both suck, zeromus is king

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pretty soft girl posted:

:hmmyes:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

pretty soft girl posted:

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Triangle Strategy isn't first-party Nintendo?

It is published by the big N, who I thought now only made lovely games to spite their userbase on purpose.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"the big N" is what i call the 64 oz Nutella they sell at Sam's Club

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I thought we banned people for saying the big N?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Nerds!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tripwood posted:

Triangle Strategy is great but I wouldn't call it a first-party Nintendo game. It was developed by Square Enix and Artdink, and Nintendo only published it outside of Japan (just like with Octopath Traveler). Square Enix is the "main" developer/publisher. It has the same developer/publisher arrangement as Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default 2, which is why I think it's pretty likely it'll come to PC eventually like those two did.

That said I could easily see someone making this same post being surprised that Square Enix released a good game so, y'know.

Anyway I can't recommend Triangle Strategy enough, it's fantastic. I'm in the middle of my NG+ playthrough now so I can see another route through the story, and then I'm going to do another NG+ after that to get the true ending. Really great game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is it more of a fire emblem, more of a tactics ogre, or more of a FFT?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

Is it more of a fire emblem, more of a tactics ogre, or more of a FFT?

Tactics Ogre is definitely the closest, though there is a Calculator character.

One major difference from all of those games is there’s no job system. Every character is 100% unique. Frederica is the only fire mage. Roland is the only spear cavalry. Nobody else has Benedict’s support powers. Hughette is the only flying archer. That kind of thing. There are multiple characters with similar roles (healers, tanks, mobile damage dealers, casters, archers, etc.) but they all have unique kits and work differently. It’s a fun change of pace and makes party composition really important.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FoolyCharged posted:

I thought we banned people for saying the big N?

no no no, that'a "a hard N"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'll never stop Nickelback posting!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
look, i'm just saying, maybe it's about time we all had a very serious conversation about Naruto

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

look, i'm just saying, maybe it's about time we all had a very serious conversation about Naruto

Its Boruto now, grandpa

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

My son is also named Boruto

itry
Aug 23, 2019

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'll never stop Nickelback posting!

:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Webster's defines "Weapon" as:

1 : something (such as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
2 : a means of contending against another

If Final Fantasy VII is about anything it is about recontextualization. Sephiroth learns he was an Ancient and plots to save the world, then learns he is cloned from an alien invader and plots to destroy it. Cloud learns he was never in SOLDIER and becomes a willing puppet, then pursues his own truth as aletheia and cuts all of the strings. Nanaki believes his father to be a coward and betrayer, but finding his petrified corpse's last stand allows him to finally see his own strength of will.

These stories are legion in Final Fantasy VII, and the same lens can be used to better understand Shinra Co. itself. As the uber-Zaibatsu, the Shinra president dominated lives with wealth and desire. His son is more ruthless, leveraging the might of Shinra's technology not at production but at destruction. Where the father viewed natural resources as standing-reserve to fuel his political machine, the son sees the corporation itself as standing-reserve to fuel his war machine. Shinra Co. itself becomes a weapon, and it's only fitting that the head of weapons in Shinra is named after the most essential and profound philosophical influence on the game generally: Martin Heidegger.

This essay will explore the connection between Da-sein's being-in-the-world and the literal with-world of the Lifestream, as well as the symbolic role of the four Weapons the planet forges to fight against humanity as well as the artificial Weapon made by Heidegger himself to fight against the planet: Proud Claude, an obvious reference to Star Ocean II's themes of technological conquest over magic as well as...