Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Wisest Moron posted:

How much of the Antarctic's industry occurs outside?

5% tops, depending on the breaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Really been getting an any day now kinda vibe lately

Starting to get excited about it

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Poisoning what few glaciers we hav eleft is new to me

https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/glacier-melt-is-past-the-tipping-point-in-the-canadian-rockies-and-thats-a-big-problem

Glacier Melt Is Past The Tipping Point posted:

A deep purple algae, likely linked to forest fires, has been collecting on Canadian glaciers over the last few decades. The algae looks like dark dust and causes the glacier to absorb solar energy, causing even more rapid melting.

“I went through my photographs in the 1970s and ‘80s just to make sure I wasn’t dreaming,” says Pomeroy.

“Glaciers were very, very white back then. And they’re not like that now.”

Pomeroy says the algae problem is still not fully understood but there is a connection between ice and fire.

After the severe fire season in 2018, glaciers remained dark well into 2020, he adds.

“The algae has colonized the glaciers because of the forest fires, soot, the organic matter, the carbon,” he says.

“Perhaps it occurred with the soot, perhaps they were always there, but they didn’t bloom as much because they didn’t have the food source before. But they certainly are now.”

Samuel Glompers has issued a correction as of 01:53 on May 17, 2022

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

This probably speeds up the melting of the glaciers too, because it would make them reflect less light

Never realized that forest fires could melt Canadian glaciers

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

TeenageArchipelago posted:

This probably speeds up the melting of the glaciers too, because it would make them reflect less light

Unexpected feedback loops, in my biosphere collapse?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hmmm good thing california for example doesn’t rely on snow melt and have shitloads of wildfires. good thing wildfires haven’t been insane worldwide for years now

jesus christ

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Oxxidation posted:

An apocalypse does not end so much as uncover. It's an epistemic revelation, a disclosure of secrets, a divine correction manifested in the world. It shocks us into submission, and from here we see how the world as we've imagined it falls away. The end of the world is no more than the end of the world's conforming to our cognizance of it. The apocalypse is the truth in a place that's systemically allergic to the stuff.

Hey emTme3! I'm the apocalypse! :roflolmao:

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/granttosterudwx/status/1526285527355301888

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Lmao, it's like every natural mechanism of climate change is able to link up with another and form a positive feedback loop. Does anyone have examples of negative feedback loops?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Wisest Moron posted:

Lmao, it's like every natural mechanism of climate change is able to link up with another and form a positive feedback loop. Does anyone have examples of negative feedback loops?

mass death?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Oxxidation posted:

An apocalypse does not end so much as uncover. It's an epistemic revelation, a disclosure of secrets, a divine correction manifested in the world. It shocks us into submission, and from here we see how the world as we've imagined it falls away. The end of the world is no more than the end of the world's conforming to our cognizance of it. The apocalypse is the truth in a place that's systemically allergic to the stuff.

:hmmyes:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Fly Molo posted:

mass death?

I'm gonna have to start chalking this up to a vengeful diety rigging the earth with endless mass death booby traps to punish us for capitalism.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Wisest Moron posted:

covid, eventually

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Shear Modulus posted:

covid, eventually

:yotj::covidtree:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

empty whippet box posted:

did anything like this happen last year? just trying to gauge how terrifying this is exactly

Fly Molo posted:

lol new thread title

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like 3 posts in here and I've already said something dumb enough to be a thread title. you're welcome :dukedog: but no im still kind of unclear on how bad that is exactly.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

starkebn posted:

Unexpected feedback loops, in my biosphere collapse?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

like 3 posts in here and I've already said something dumb enough to be a thread title. you're welcome :dukedog: but no im still kind of unclear on how bad that is exactly.

if it just happens the once and it's a comical outlier everything's fine

if it becomes situation normal sea level rise is going to be somewhere between lol and lmao

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

worse than last year, better than next year

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
its super funny when people talk about asinine forums bullshit in this thread for how all life on earth is about to be extinguished

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cloks posted:

I'm sorry but i can't endorse any strategy for mitigating climate change that hurts our most precious natural resource - the economy.

Oh dammit you're doing a bit and I missed it. Okay that's a relief.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That it's even happening in the first place means it's more likely to happen in the future.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

its super funny when people talk about asinine forums bullshit in this thread for how all life on earth is about to be extinguished

it’s cathartic

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

in antarctica at mcmurdo station there is a big black volcanic ash covered island that used to be mostly covered with ice, but as it recedes all the volcanic ash gets blown away and onto the sea ice. it's black so it gets hot and melts the sea ice and the whole thing turns into a big slushy mess much more often, which is a bummer because they use the sea ice as a runway for planes bringing supplies and people to the base.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Stereotype posted:

Frantically reporting my forums enemies as the bang from the clathrate gun circles the globe

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Why was the title changed from biosphere collapse to climate collapse?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Mods are Concerned

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

climate collapse is better imo

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Stereotype posted:

in antarctica at mcmurdo station there is a big black volcanic ash covered island that used to be mostly covered with ice, but as it recedes all the volcanic ash gets blown away and onto the sea ice. it's black so it gets hot and melts the sea ice and the whole thing turns into a big slushy mess much more often, which is a bummer because they use the sea ice as a runway for planes bringing supplies and people to the base.

Get owned, nerds

I saw a picture the other day that showed how the reflectivity of Greenland's glaciers was reducing as they melted, as more of the sediment trapped in them was collecting on the top of the glaciers as it became exposed. Would post it but I don't remember what the science term for the amount of light that a surface absorbs is, and I can't find the picture with the searches I'm trying

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

CODChimera posted:

climate collapse is better imo

But this thread does talk about everything collapsing. Nurdles in the ocean are more biosphere collapse than they are climate collapse

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Get owned, nerds

I saw a picture the other day that showed how the reflectivity of Greenland's glaciers was reducing as they melted, as more of the sediment trapped in them was collecting on the top of the glaciers as it became exposed. Would post it but I don't remember what the science term for the amount of light that a surface absorbs is, and I can't find the picture with the searches I'm trying

albedo

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

gently caress, thank you. I thought that it was something close to libido, and Google wasn't correcting me

And let me tell you that the crossover in the results is quite underwhelming

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
"light libido problem"

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

But this thread does talk about everything collapsing. Nurdles in the ocean are more biosphere collapse than they are climate collapse

Yeah even if the climate was fine we're still doing everything in our power to gently caress the biosphere

- plastic
- habitat destruction
- species destruction

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

yeah but climate collapse sounds cooler

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I can see why you'd appreciate the alliteration. What about [biosphere breakdown]?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

calling it climate is loving the problem in the first place. name it [world wasted]

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

it’s so hosed they stole peoples land and sent them to internment camps to poison this here island

It's ok they turned the superfund in Ruston into a fancy eating and waterfront walking and living if you want to pay top dollar to hang out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

because i couldn't fit biosphere in the character limit without throwing out another word in the subtitle and i couldn't figure out a way to do that without making it incoherent