Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

KennyMan666 posted:

Apocalypse Johto Part 3: Silver Bullet
Chapter 28: High Heels

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Mega horn brand mega horns.

Mega horn is the name of an attack in pokemon in case anyone didn't know. I'm assuming that's the joke the author was going for and they didn't just suddenly go full political cartoonist

CrocodileKingSaysNO has a new favorite as of 07:27 on May 16, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Oh, pfft, I just got that. I mean it sounds like a brand of megaphones that could exist IRL, so.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Property of hate is definitely growing on me. Not so much for the non-existent story as the character design. Hedgehog seamstress is cool, and I like the mannequin ribbon person who is all bed hair.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Little Bubby Child

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible
TINY, ALMOST MANAGEABLE
May 2, 2006

Only 3 comics left!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
:sigh:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Stand Still. Stay Silent

A loose translation posted in the comments of the comic page:
“Come o hither to my aid now
here to help to raise my magics
strike the blows on my behalf and
singer in my spells assisting.

Väki, power sole and single
Strong and steady guarding spirit
my own nature unwavering.”

My understanding is that väki is a bit of a weird word to translate and its meaning here is something like “might” or “spiritual strength.” The entity called forth is Lalli’s luonto. The comic will go into more detail further down, but according to the Finns a person’s luonto is a part of their own being. It’s not a familiar or a spirit animal that exists independently of you, it’s an aspect of your own nature. Hence why the last line gets translated as “my own nature unwavering.” In Lalli’s case, it takes the form of a cool lynx

Paf

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Luonto pretty much means nature but if you refer to a persons luonto it's more like that persons character. Or personality.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

organburner posted:

Luonto pretty much means nature but if you refer to a persons luonto it's more like that persons character. Or personality.

A person can also have a nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUyFg9xoPKk&t=26s

As in "it's not in my nature to [whatever]".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Pokémon got real complicated huh

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Transdimensional Brain Chip

148. Good news

149. Hard to get out

150. More people

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Concerned: The Half-Life and Death of Gordon Frohman

In Half-Life 2, as in many other games, there are a ridiculous number of barrels lying around, and most are filled with highly flammable material of some sort. This is my explanation of why there are so many in the game.

Even one of the game's creators said (jokingly) in an interview that they thought about having an explosive barrel factory in the game, to help explain the phenomenon.

There are a couple bridges and overpasses in the game that have a few barrels stacked around their bases, so you can blow the bridge up, killing the soldiers on top of it.

Posing notes: I blew this scene up twice accidentally by carelessly moving ragdolls around � if you hit a barrel too hard with something, it goes boom. There are so many barrels that when they all blew, the game crashed. Still, it was fun to pose and didn't take very long (despite the crashing). The cop standing next to Frohman is a live spawn; the others are posed ragdolls. Most of the ones in the distance are very crudely done, their feet aren't touching the ground, they aren't actually touching the barrels, but from a distance they look okay. I initally left room for a chopper to be hovering in the upper left corner, dangling barrels from ropes, but didn't know how to spawn one and never got around to photoshopping it in.

I originally had an APC parked on top of the bridge, but I was afraid people might think it was speeding across the bridge, about to plow into all the barrels, which wasn't what I was trying to imply. I went back in and replaced the APC with a couple wagons and some soldiers unloading them.

I got some questions about why the coffee cup was hovering in the air in front of Frohman; it relates back to Comic 007 & 008. When you hold an object in the game, it just hangs there in mid-air.

Posing Notes: The soldiers in panels 1-3 are live spawns. Note the barrels in the background: I'd planned to have a bunch around in every comic after Frohman mistakenly ordered them � watch how quickly I start forgetting to do this.

The poster in panel 6 was a huge, huge, huge pain in the rear end. I couldn't get the angle right for a long time, and then the headcrabs weren't reading against the grassy background, so I had to add in some snow on the ground. I kept accidentally moving the tree while trying to move the guy hanging from it, which basically meant starting over again and again, because once moved, it's very hard to get large props back in their original position. The zombies should be reaching for him, but I was too tired to pose them so I just spawned some live ones, which just stand there. Oh, well.

I got a few requests to provide high-res versions of the posters so people can use them as wallpaper on their computers, which I haven't gotten around to, but the citizen's facial expression definitely looks a lot better when the picture is bigger.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

e-dt posted:

Oxblood cordovan

Everything becomes a negotiation

The cat is having an argument with his powerful shoe.

I will never not love rays obsession with diabetes

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Apocalypse Johto Part 3: Silver Bullet
Chapter 28: High Heels

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

Marie and the Adventurer's League - Slice

Marie and the Adventurer's League - Beckham

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Strips like this one remind me that Christopher Livingston first gained mild internet fame as the creator of NotMyDesk.com, an incredibly funny (in my memory, at least) blog about his amazingly unexciting life as a full-time temp worker -- he was not part of but closely associated with the Brunching Shuttlecocks, a titan of late 90s/early 00s internet comedy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

I feel like all the shadowed shots and animal sidekick and the dramatic reveals means we're supposed to know this character. I have absolutely no clue who she is.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 21:15 on May 16, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
She's got a leather jacket and a rattail, she's clearly the coolest person there. How does a duck have hair? Don't worry about it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
same way a duck has freckles, obviously

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I feel like all the shadowed shots and animal sidekick and the dramatic reveals means we're supposed to know this character. I have absolutely no clue who she is.

She's grown up Gosalyn Mallard, obviously. Freckles are new, but maybe something something space exposure. Otherwise she just needed to shave off the pigtails and grow a rat tail and we're there.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Have some Cat and Girl. It's deeply cynical but always weirdly whimsical about it? It's also been a webcomic since 1999, but I'm about to post a bunch of recent ones.

It doesn't always nail the balancing act between inscrutable and pat, and is sometimes both at once -- some of you are going to hate it. I'm a big fan though.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 21:52 on May 16, 2022

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ditocoaf posted:

Have some Cat and Girl.

I'm kinda torn. I feel like it's clever, but not funny. The one asking all the questions, the flower is a little count down timer - that's neat. I like the diminishing returns comic. I support the idea of replacing all cops with a pizza delivery service.

Keep posting, I'm still gonna give it more time.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Cat And Girl's good episodes are really really good. Best not to read too many of them in one go, though

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Belzebubs

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

CzarChasm posted:

I'm kinda torn. I feel like it's clever, but not funny. The one asking all the questions, the flower is a little count down timer - that's neat. I like the diminishing returns comic. I support the idea of replacing all cops with a pizza delivery service.

Keep posting, I'm still gonna give it more time.
The kind of clever that makes you roll your eyes.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Just Offscreen posted:

I will never not love rays obsession with diabetes

Not an obsession! He maintains a respectful awareness of diabetes.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The deliverymen fighting for the money in the yard stuck with me.

Ray should worry about supernatural entities preying on the greedy, not diabetes...

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Boba Pearl posted:

the extremely colourful magic effects continue to slap

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Aww, her first linked combat high!

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

e-dt posted:

Not an obsession! He maintains a respectful awareness of diabetes.

He's already got kidney problems, last thing he needs is another medical issue to keep track of.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

vyelkin posted:

Transdimensional Brain Chip

148. Good news

I really like how Ulf is enough of a genius to build all of these incredible robots, but is still enough of an idiot that the only way he can think of to convert people to Christianity is a) a brain virus or b) reading the Bible at them constantly, forever.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

My parents cat was recently diagnosed with diabetes and she aged so fast after that :smith:

It came out of nowhere she definitely isn't fat and she's been eating the same thing for most her life.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Cat and Girl is Zen Pencils for Sad Children, which leaves me conflicted at best, but sometimes it's just good.

Cat is always right about everything, but I've just realized he sounds like Travis McElroy in my head.

Ragnar34 has a new favorite as of 02:35 on May 17, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

the extremely colourful magic effects continue to slap

Post poste posted:

Aww, her first linked combat high!

Yeah, I'm really pleased with the last few comics in this scene. Also magical effects are just fun to do. It feels like with magic I can really let loose and make something big and pretty.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ranking of Kings

Chapter 19

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Wow, I can't believe cat and girl is still going. Looks pretty good too! I remember it having good facial expressions and the occasional real gem.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Probably haven't read it in twelve years, there must be a heck of a backlog.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
You've missed some good ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

gently caress yes. I'm only mad that I didn't think of posting this myself.

100% keen.