Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ReidRansom posted:

I wonder if twītting a bunch at hasbro asking if they're behind this/if it's related to hungry hippos would make their legal team take notice

They would almost definitely be interested in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

lol at the lifeless eyeballs.

Mods please probate this poster for posting about me. :(

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

There Bias Two posted:

They would almost definitely be interested in this.

It's never a good strategy to sue poor people

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I just got off the phone trying to explain bitcoin to my mom for 2 hours. Apparently someone on some financial show she saw was trying to sell coinbase stock really hard (lol) and she was finally confused enough to just ask me, who she assumed would know what's up.

I got her the general bits and had to deal with a lot of "yes, yes I know that sound stupid. Yes, it is."

Right around where I was trying to explain how you mine with a computer I remembered the Dan Olsen video and sent her that.

Going to go send that dude :10bux: on whatever donation service he uses, goddamn it's great having a one stop for pointing normal, not-online people at to explain what the gently caress is up with these apes and coins and dogges and elon musk and russian hackers and drug cartels and venture capital techbros etc.

Captain Charisma
Nov 10, 2021

funeral home DJ posted:

Mods please probate this poster for posting about me. :(

username/post combo :golfclap:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I just got off the phone trying to explain bitcoin to my mom for 2 hours. Apparently someone on some financial show she saw was trying to sell coinbase stock really hard (lol) and she was finally confused enough to just ask me, who she assumed would know what's up.

I got her the general bits and had to deal with a lot of "yes, yes I know that sound stupid. Yes, it is."

Right around where I was trying to explain how you mine with a computer I remembered the Dan Olsen video and sent her that.

Going to go send that dude :10bux: on whatever donation service he uses, goddamn it's great having a one stop for pointing normal, not-online people at to explain what the gently caress is up with these apes and coins and dogges and elon musk and russian hackers and drug cartels and venture capital techbros etc.

Please to be linking Dan Olsen video

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

heh... there's an even more infringy one.

https://twitter.com/hungryhipposnft

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

can you point to which one. I googled Dan Olsen bitcoin video and got something that was over 2 hours long labeled Chapter 1 and that seems worse than talking about bitcoin

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Edit: ^^^ this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Cyrano4747 posted:

honestly his video is probably already way too dense for beginners but hopefully your mom finds it useful.

i enjoyed his in search of a flat earth video mainly because it just twists into something different in the middle of it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Strong Sauce posted:

Edit: ^^^ this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

honestly his video is probably already way too dense for beginners but hopefully your mom finds it useful.

i enjoyed his in search of a flat earth video mainly because it just twists into something different in the middle of it.

Yeah, it's pretty much right for her. She's got a good grasp of a lot of the computer and financial basics, and it is entertaining enough.

Basically better for him to sit down and explain it all to her over two hours than for me to do it, while having to stop ever ten minutes to explain that yes, it really is as stupid as that.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

ok, i've liquidated all my assets and put all my cash in a backpack. where can i exchange it for some nfts? ideally a well-lit location, tia.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Fattest PI posted:

Work all day flipping burgers to get paid in McCoins (tm). A new crypto with great fundamentals. Many people are saying it's the next moonshot ;).
The price of McCoins is tied to Smiles Served, and for some reason it dips right before payday about half the time, but hey that's cryptos for you ;) ;)

From earlier in the thread:

Somfin posted:

[…]
Also, I don't know if anyone's posted this, but if folks in here are fans of either Dan Olson or Trashfuture or, ideally, both, Dan posted a really really good bite-sized dystopian short story on his Patreon which is, politely enough, unlocked:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/were-all-going-59993510

It's bleak as gently caress and guaranteed to ruin your morning.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Juul-Whip posted:

another amazing collection of unique digital artworks
https://twitter.com/HangryHippoNFT/status/1519110428416118784

I tried reading that webpage but all I could see was *COLOSSAL SCAM* flashing in giant neon letters across the page everytime I looked at it.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Younger kids can never make fun of us for pogs or beanie babies ever again.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't think it's the younger kids that are the ones buying into nfts my friend

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

pro starcraft loser posted:

Why would kids make fun of pogs? I hear them say poggers all the time.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

pro starcraft loser posted:

you could actually play with a pog or beanie baby. wtf can I do with a digital ape? also someone stole it!

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
DEI and fUSD stablecoins have de-pegged.

Apparently the "Scream" lending platform had the values of these hard coded as $1, and people were able to load them up with a bunch of bad debt (35mil) and run off with stablecoins that have not de-pegged:
https://cryptoslate.com/scream-protocol-losses-millions-to-stablecoin-depeg/

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

The pattern for the past year or two has been bitcoin goes up to $50k+ then the price suddenly cashes and comes to a dead stop at $30k almost exactly. The $30k price lasts for a day or two as the money printer is fired up and then bitcoin prices start going up again. The longer hold at the price they won't let bitcoin go below just feels ominous. I was expecting bitcoin to have started going back up by now as they pump it for at least one more round of extraction.

You're right, though. Trying to outguess a corrupt con game isn't really possible. Maybe the pump is delayed as they sort out what to do with the unstable stable coins. Or maybe the guy who knows where the toner is for the money printer is on vacation. Keeping the con going is pretty likely; I was just noticing that the con has stalled for the moment.

My guess is that it's going to be ruled by economic factors. Rate hike and significant stagflation vs the Ukraine war ending or some hyperlibertarian crypto adoption meme or some random Tesla $50b investment, I think these things will define the events. Crypto is already tied at the hip to stocks and moves with it, so if the stock market crashes Crypto will go down.

I'm amazed someone would hard code stablecoins at $1, but equally amazed their solution was to liquidate everyone.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

ChronoBasher posted:

DEI and fUSD stablecoins have de-pegged.

Apparently the "Scream" lending platform had the values of these hard coded as $1, and people were able to load them up with a bunch of bad debt (35mil) and run off with stablecoins that have not de-pegged:
https://cryptoslate.com/scream-protocol-losses-millions-to-stablecoin-depeg/

Oh, code being law...

Also love the last line of that article: "Scream also announced a change in its policy. It’ll now start using Chainlink Oracles to get the prices in real-time instead of hardcoding them. This way, it would prevent a recurrence of this in the future."

Didn't relying on external oracles for Terra/Luna cause the same arbitrage problem when they were frozen? In other words, "we solved this problem by adopting a new problem we saw bankrupt an exchange last week."

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

at a cryptocurrency company:
"should we have any failsafe or stopgaps incase our computer code is not up to snuff?"
"nah. can't risk not making more money"

oh sorry. i was talking about all tech companies... all tech companies do this. but only cryptocurrency companies have to worry about negative aspects of this.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

JohnCompany posted:

In other words, "we solved this problem by adopting a new problem we saw bankrupt an exchange last week."

This is good for Bitcoin, eventually all the bad ideas will be exhausted and only good ideas will power the remaining crypto currencies to the moon!!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

The Fattest PI posted:

Instead of random sketchy exchanges on the internet who have an average lifespan of like 2 years before they disappear with all your money, they should make a heavily Federally regulated Crypto-Bank (Crank) that deals with all your crypto storage and borrowing needs.

This is genius, since we all know if you try to rugpull your crank it’ll cause a burn and make our coins even more valuable!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

at a cryptocurrency company:
"should we have any failsafe or stopgaps incase our computer code is not up to snuff?"
"nah. can't risk not making more money"

oh sorry. i was talking about all tech companies... all tech companies do this. but only cryptocurrency companies have to worry about negative aspects of this.

Why would a cryptocurrency company worry about the negative aspect of anything? The people at tether haven’t promised anyone any amount of money for their tether.

Try to find any kind of physical address that’s tied to the tether company.

They could literally just take the website down tomorrow and go away forever.

That’s why no real effort is going into making sure the stable coin is actually fully backed. It doesn’t need to be if you don’t intend to actually ever pay everyone.

Its a ponzi scheme.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 17, 2022

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
shitcoin

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
pièce de merde

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1526330280855887874
Large if Factual

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fun fact: New York's Supreme Court is not the highest court in the state. That honor goes to the New York Court of Appeals. I have no idea whether they'd hear an appeal for this case, but I don't doubt one will be filed.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

https://twitter.com/realPaulSantos/status/1526156044933574656

Shocked. Shocked I say!

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
bitcoin how about you get some slitcoin son aka go on a fuckin date for once

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

Fun fact: New York's Supreme Court is not the highest court in the state. That honor goes to the New York Court of Appeals. I have no idea whether they'd hear an appeal for this case, but I don't doubt one will be filed.

it would go to the NY appellate division first anyway which is the middle court but yea supreme court is the trial court in NY just to annoy everyone

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The scream exploit is literally what happened in several wildcat banking states, where the banking law accepted public bonds as collateral at face value. lol.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Sorry if I missed it but why did number go down? I thought number go up?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Sorry if I missed it but why did number go down? I thought number go up?

the lolchain is hitting a record high market cap this week, what number are you looking at?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

JohnCompany posted:

Didn't relying on external oracles for Terra/Luna cause the same arbitrage problem when they were frozen? In other words, "we solved this problem by adopting a new problem we saw bankrupt an exchange last week."

Didn't that other exchange just unilaterally reverse any transactions that lost them money?

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Klyith posted:

the lolchain is hitting a record high market cap this week, what number are you looking at?

The 99.999% drop for Luna? Was it a rugpull?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

number going down but my boner goes up, weird.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

The 99.999% drop for Luna? Was it a rugpull?

It's considerably dumber than that.

Luna was tied to a "stablecoin", Terra(UST). if the price of Terra went down, Luna was "burned" to bring Terra back to $1. When both started going down, people panicked and they both basically went to $0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Fartcoin