Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
1.) Unbreakable is his best.

2.) Signs is awesome.

3.) Apparently my memory is poo poo (inre Amazon owning IMDBtv)

4.) Why the hell don't we get IMDB Pro with our Prime sub? That's some BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Human Tornada posted:

The complaint about the aliens in Signs always seemed so stupid and nitpicky to me. Human beings go to dangerous or deadly places all the time in pursuit of something, or sometimes just for the hell of it. Even just standing outside on our own planet for too long burns our skin and gives us cancer.

It's not real important to the plot either. It's more about how people deal with crisis and a loss of faith, with the alien invasion as a motivating force. I like to think that Signs is what's happening off screen in Independence Day.

Now, The Happening is a bad picture. Made all the more disappointing by there being a great really creepy weird picture hiding under the bad acting and direction.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Village in retrospect was pretty interesting. I remember hoping the twist was something really unique and not what I thought it was gonna be, but instead it was the most obvious twist. Still a banger of a soundtrack. Signs soundtrack is still one of the creepiest I've ever heard.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

nonathlon posted:

It's not real important to the plot either. It's more about how people deal with crisis and a loss of faith, with the alien invasion as a motivating force. I like to think that Signs is what's happening off screen in Independence Day.

Now, The Happening is a bad picture. Made all the more disappointing by there being a great really creepy weird picture hiding under the bad acting and direction.

That's what I came away with after watching Signs. The alien invasion is more of a backdrop, it's about inter personal relationships and people working through problems and guilt.

I may be reading way too much into it though :shrug:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I posed this in the other thread but the reveal in Old of pregnant Eliza Scanlon just strolling down the beach with Trent just struck me as hilarious and I'm glad I watched it just because of that. Movie was pretty bad though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tim Whatley posted:

The Village in retrospect was pretty interesting. I remember hoping the twist was something really unique and not what I thought it was gonna be, but instead it was the most obvious twist. Still a banger of a soundtrack. Signs soundtrack is still one of the creepiest I've ever heard.

I recently re-watched it and it does still hold up. Even if the twist is hokey - the rest is still just well crafted and acted to be really enjoyable.

The Happening though... yeah I mean. Wow. So bad. Fun to watch though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Old is a very terrible and stupid movie and i'm starting to suspect that The Visit and Split were ghost-directed or something

edit: The Village is a horrible movie but it is deffo "so stupid it's fun". lord knows Adrien Brody was having a hoot

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
The only thing I remember from Old was that the rapper's name was Mid Sized Sedan.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I think Old was the first episode of Pitch Meeting I watched. I don't know how this guy hasn't gotten on my nerves yet because I still enjoy almost every episode of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyXMyxkJQV4

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The Cats pitch meeting is pure gold.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

nonathlon posted:

I think that's the problem though and what most people are poking at when they complain about the dumb aliens. The first half of the movie is a good spooky family drama thing that really nailed the feeling of overwhelming doom and then it just kind of turns into a Pureflix drama about faith and God and fate which sucks if you liked the first half :shrug:.

That's why you don't have people poking around much at The Happening. It's such a bad movie that nobody felt disappointed enough to care, but there's a few good bits of Signs that make you feel invested.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 16, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Shyamalan is clearly influenced by older styles of dramatic writing; if you watch an episode of The Twilight Zone what stands out isn't so much the *twists* as that very heightened, declarative style of writing, characters saying Big Things and taking strong stances on big topics. It's very much the style that was popular in the contemporary theatrical drama of the time, more naturalistic than classical writing but still very clearly *written*, with a strong authorial voice.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

SLOSifl posted:

I think Old was the first episode of Pitch Meeting I watched. I don't know how this guy hasn't gotten on my nerves yet because I still enjoy almost every episode of it...

So I haven't watched this movie but did the bad scientists make the beach or just use a pre-existing magic beach? Not sure which one would be dumber...

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

ymgve posted:

So I haven't watched this movie but did the bad scientists make the beach or just use a pre-existing magic beach? Not sure which one would be dumber...
Then it's both!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ymgve posted:

I think it’s a pre-existing beach the scientists are making people go to for reasons but I only saw it once and can’t remember.

What I do remember is that the movie is pretty decent b-movie schlock garbage for 80% of its runtime and then for absolutely no reason gets another Shyamalan twist tacked on to the existing twist just so the movie can stop dead in its tracks and make an extremely hamfisted attempt at allegory. Like, there’s a very natural stopping point in the plot where it could have ended and been a pretty okay weird-premise horror thriller but it just… keeps going.

Edit: Wait, I remembered; the scientists are making people go there because all these tourists have some medical condition and the resort snuck experimental drugs into their food so they can use the beach’s aging properties to test the long-term drug results for quicker research and approval. And that’s a cool premise! Shame about everything else though.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 16, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Old was pretty fun. Y’all boring.

The movie explains it pretty clear that the beach is natural and the scientists are using it for their work because that’s what nature would want.

That poo poo is loving fun! Also nasty bone breaking rapid healing!

There’s no irony or snark with it and it’s so refreshing. Embrace being stupid.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I actually kind of want to watch it after that video making it sound so insane.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I love that beginning slow pan shot in The Village over the gravestone that makes sure you see the date of death was in 18xx.. I don't know how Shyamalan could make a date of death on a gravestone conspicuous, but he did it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SLOSifl posted:

oh god i had forgotten all about this guy, thank you!!!

"okay, that almost sounds like something a human would say" slays me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

Embrace being stupid.

i mean, i post on SA :grin:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

oh god i had forgotten all about this guy, thank you!!!

"okay, that almost sounds like something a human would say" slays me

It really is one of my favorites of his simply because of the focus on the child being pregnant

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
remembered i have Apple+ so i started watching Foundation and it seems really dope!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Foundation looks good. Lee Pace is good.

That's all I've got

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's a very dry show. Few pew-pew lasers.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

precision posted:

remembered i have Apple+ so i started watching Foundation and it seems really dope!

it's trash, straight garbagio

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Foundation starts off decently enough (and has some great visuals) but I gave up after 4-5 episodes. I wanted to like it but it has some deeply stupid writing and there’s enough other better shows around that I didn’t feel compelled to stay with it.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

precision posted:

Please keep sharing your thoughts on this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Foundation is loving awful but also kind of entertaining

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BonoMan posted:

3.) Apparently my memory is poo poo (inre Amazon owning IMDBtv)

Nah, your memory isn't poo poo. Amazon really doesn't promote IMDbTV / Freevee for whatever reason, and I'd wager that a fairly sizable chunk of the streaming population doesn't even know it actually exists (which is remarkable, because there is a lot of really good stuff on there). Between that and Tubi, Hulu is the only service I actually pay for anymore, and now that NBC is yanking its next-day streaming from Hulu starting in September, I might drop that, too, or maybe go halfsies on it with my girlfriend.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

The stuff with Lee Pace was all great. The rest, not so much. I think the stuff with Lee Pace worked because it was the only storyline in the entire season that was coherent .

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Man, M Night has another movie coming out next year and somehow managed to rope in Dave Bautista for the project

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I liked the first episode of Foundation. After the second I knew I was done lol

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

Old was pretty fun. Y’all boring.

The movie explains it pretty clear that the beach is natural and the scientists are using it for their work because that’s what nature would want.

That poo poo is loving fun! Also nasty bone breaking rapid healing!

There’s no irony or snark with it and it’s so refreshing. Embrace being stupid.

keep in mind that they think the happening is funny by accident. some people are beyond help

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

pace limp like chicken

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Timby posted:

Nah, your memory isn't poo poo. Amazon really doesn't promote IMDbTV / Freevee for whatever reason, and I'd wager that a fairly sizable chunk of the streaming population doesn't even know it actually exists (which is remarkable, because there is a lot of really good stuff on there). Between that and Tubi, Hulu is the only service I actually pay for anymore, and now that NBC is yanking its next-day streaming from Hulu starting in September, I might drop that, too, or maybe go halfsies on it with my girlfriend.

yeah there's a ton of good stuff. I've been watching The Prisoner

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

THX1138 is on max. Somehow I’d never seen it. Fun to see all the strands of DNA that would become Star Wars

But he had to Special Edition it, didn’t he?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

THX1138 is on max. Somehow I’d never seen it. Fun to see all the strands of DNA that would become Star Wars

But he had to Special Edition it, didn’t he?

People love to complain about Lucas changing movies, but THX is the one instance where I think it genuinely improved the film. It’s all relatively unobtrusive stuff and it helps elevate it beyond what it really is; a remade student film with a budget.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really dislike the set extensions. I preferred the claustrophobic feeling of the original. Also the dwarf-monkey-mutant-whatever attack in the original was bad, sure. But that poo poo they replaced it with was worse.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Kate was cool as hell! Good story, great characters, awesome action scenes. If you're looking for a good Jane Wick film, this is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

People love to complain about Lucas changing movies, but THX is the one instance where I think it genuinely improved the film. It’s all relatively unobtrusive stuff and it helps elevate it beyond what it really is; a remade student film with a budget.

I'd agree with the background cgi, the nuclear rod and even the cars, but yeah the monkeys were bad. But that's also a bad idea to have them in the movie at all