Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Powershift posted:

It's considerably dumber than that.

Luna was tied to a "stablecoin", Terra(UST). if the price of Terra went down, Luna was "burned" to bring Terra back to $1. When both started going down, people panicked and they both basically went to $0

wow sounds like a stable and non reactionary system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

Didn't that other exchange just unilaterally reverse any transactions that lost them money?
It sounded like they were cancelling trades made against stale pricing. If they didn't uniformly cancel everything on an interval and just the ones that made money, that's a new low even for crypto.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

It sounded like they were cancelling trades made against stale pricing. If they didn't uniformly cancel everything on an interval and just the ones that made money, that's a new low even for crypto.

So that's probably what happened.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

ultrafilter posted:

Fun fact: New York's Supreme Court is not the highest court in the state. That honor goes to the New York Court of Appeals. I have no idea whether they'd hear an appeal for this case, but I don't doubt one will be filed.

Law & Order taught me that!

Thanks Jack McCoy!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Sorry if I missed it but why did number go down? I thought number go up?

what even is number, really?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
a number is a measurement of something.

in this case 0.000000000000000000......00000000000000000 money units.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Finally a real world example of infinitesimals in action!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

The 99.999% drop for Luna? Was it a rugpull?

Even better. The algorithm that is supposed to stablize the coin basically guarantees the whole thing goes into a death sprial the second prices start dropping rapidly.

In theory the devs could have propped it up to stop the bleeding, but lmao.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Guys I’m starting to suspect that this bitcoin thing might not be as perfect as it seems.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/thegangsterofl2/status/1526274567915851778

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Guys I’m starting to suspect that this bitcoin thing might not be as perfect as it seems.

If you think of it as a hand grenade that sucks all the money from whomever is holding it at the time when it explodes, it is perfect.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

I think it is exactly as perfect as it seemed

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

lilljonas posted:

The big lol is that the rallying cry of crypto has been that fiat curriencies are worthless because they're not pegged to something "real", but just the belief in the country and central bank connected to it. But no, imaginary tokens minted by people under aliases taken from cartoons are so much more stable.

People are dumb and crypto bros are the dumbest people around.

They learned the concept that some things are not intrinsically valuable, their value comes from everybody agreeing that they are valuable. Like fiat currency, or a $4000 purse.

Then they made the leap that if we all agree a thing is valuable we can magically make anything valuable. We can make imaginary internet pogs valuable if we all believe hard enough. We can get rich just by claiming that we are already rich and trading ugly ape pictures back and forth for thousands of dollars. It's a spell to create wealth from nothing via the ritual performance of a cargo cult currency exchange and vigorously sharing the Good News.

But their faith was not strong enough to make the spell work. :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/fxhedgers/status/1526437105009709056?s=21&t=ctwrayh7Ke4b2DN7YNMvxA

NBD

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I want all of this to just fall to pieces

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heath posted:

It’s their last resort

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Heath posted:

the whole thing seems a lot more fragile after the last few weeks. that wasn't a huge shock to the regular markets, imagine what will happen if people are panicking there and suddenly want all their money back

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Booyah- posted:

what will happen if people are panicking there and suddenly want all their money back

The exchanges close withdrawals for security reasons. Easy.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
scheduled maintenance

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

this is not a thing that's happening right now but the headline of a news article about the ongoing market cap drop we posted about earlier:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 17, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

scheduled maintenance

The maintenance schedule was in a filing cabinet in a disused toilet in the basement. You could have checked it in advance if you cared!

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

this is not a thing that's happening right now but the headline of a news article about the ongoing market cap drop we posted about earlier:

Would you say they're trying to... HODL the line?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

In the thick of things last week I watched some realtime charts of the Bitcoin price and the resistance around $28k looked artificial as hell, at least to my untrained eye. Like there was significant money being burned to keep the price from going below and staying below $28k, and it was probably automated. When it dropped lower than that I was hopeful but things seem to be levelling out, unfortunately.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This crash is going way to slow.

One the bright side though, even my in laws were talking about how Bitcoin and crypto were evaporating worth. :allears:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Heath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32bdevGClD4

the lyrics in epic are pretty crypto appropriate though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_k5CSYKhg

millions of cryptobros shouting "it's it!" every time someone asks "what is it?"

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I’d probably go with Everything’s Ruined:

https://youtu.be/usGQjN87BUA

(I had no idea that was ever a single)

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Skitkrona

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Darth TNT posted:

One the bright side though, even my in laws were talking about how Bitcoin and crypto were evaporating worth. :allears:

I dunno, for a start its a series of decentralised crashes of non things not crashing into other non things honest guv, we can admire it in realtime and savour each experience from multiple viewpoints, but when we finally get to the irl reality crash of the baghodlers, shits going to get very ugly very quickly.
for instance r/ambien already has a bunch of insane coiners doing performance art of grief. https://www.reddit.com/r/ambien/comments/uo5ecf/a_study_on_cumb_crystals_everytimes_its_always/

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

What even is this account? You quote it a lot in multiple threads but it just seems to be some random unverified account posting unsourced claims in full caps.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

It posts headlines and where the headlines comes from. E.g. https://www.ft.com/content/db9c3f32-cd91-4149-9788-95b2046bea10

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

a7m2 posted:

It posts headlines and where the headlines comes from. E.g. https://www.ft.com/content/db9c3f32-cd91-4149-9788-95b2046bea10

Ohhhh that makes so much more sense now, thanks!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

JohnCompany posted:

Oh, code being law...

Also love the last line of that article: "Scream also announced a change in its policy. It’ll now start using Chainlink Oracles to get the prices in real-time instead of hardcoding them. This way, it would prevent a recurrence of this in the future."

Didn't relying on external oracles for Terra/Luna cause the same arbitrage problem when they were frozen? In other words, "we solved this problem by adopting a new problem we saw bankrupt an exchange last week."

Kinda, but it's mostly on the smart contract devs that used the oracles because every quote on the oracle is time stamped, so it should be a clear warning sign that the ticker data is several hours old. (Of course, there should have been some way to clearly flag "poo poo's fucky" and abort the transaction from inside the oracle code, not sure chainlink even supports that)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

putin is a oval office posted:

What even is this account? You quote it a lot in multiple threads but it just seems to be some random unverified account posting unsourced claims in full caps.
From what I understand it’s an account that just reposts news headlines that come across a Bloomberg terminal.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

DEI/DEUS is blowing up right now if you want to watch another wreck in real time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The best Faith No More song to sum up crypto is “Cuckoo for caca”

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Skitkontant

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Where does the "Code is law" thing come from? From smartcontracts, I am guessing? Was there anyone in particular who coined it?

As a programmer myself, I never understood this conceit; QA cycles exist for a reason. I guess I am just a mediocre programmer that learned very early on in their education of the Therac-25 bug and internalized it.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

Where does the "Code is law" thing come from? From smartcontracts, I am guessing? Was there anyone in particular who coined it?

As a programmer myself, I never understood this conceit; QA cycles exist for a reason. I guess I am just a mediocre programmer that learned very early on in their education of the Therac-25 bug and internalized it.
It's been around a while, but I heard it bandied around quite a lot during the financial crisis, to describe how code had literally supplanted the law in relation to mortgages and chain-of-title.
I remember this article in particular: https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/04/code-is-law-literally.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day