Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The multi V4S has radar cruise, and it can take bags. It’s quite practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

The multi V4S has radar cruise, and it can take bags. It’s quite practical.

Oh wow I had no idea that radar cruise had made its way to bikes already. I wonder how it works? I feel like unintended braking is a recipe for disaster on a bike?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
My Honda has Adaptive Cruise Control which matches the speed of the vehicle ahead, and it just barely works. It’s OK for traffic jams where you’re just crawling, but it sucks for everything else. It brakes too late and too heavily. It brakes for phantom cars that have already turned away or changed lanes. When changing from uphill to downhill (or vice versa) it sometimes loses the car ahead and accelerates. It basically tries to kill you, most of the time.

Sounds insane to me to put this on 2 wheels. Maybe it can detect a bad situation and auto-honk or something, but I wouldn’t trust it to touch my brakes. Feels like they're solving a problem I just don't have.

epswing fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 16, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Zach went over a decent bit in his daily commute review video

https://youtu.be/t450T8BGXh8

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Was surprised to learn a while back that the Multistrada V4 was their best selling bike in 2021. Those things are $$$.

https://ridermagazine.com/2022/01/18/ducati-posts-record-sales-in-2021/

quote:

Ducati posts record sales in 2021, with 59,447 motorcycles delivered worldwide, an increase of 24% over 2020 (48,042) and 12% over 2019 (53,183).

[...]

The enormous success obtained during the year is confirmed by the Multistrada V4, which was by far the biggest-selling and most-loved bike for Ducatisti in 2021, with 9,957 motorcycles delivered to customers. The Ducati Scrambler 800 family followed with 9,059 units, and the Monster, with 8,734 motorcycles sold.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Imagine showing up here on merely a SuperSport. You'd look like a total dork!!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I sold my 2nd gen Multi last week. They're good bikes and are reasonably practical, but there's still plenty of Italian quirk there to drive you slightly nuts if you're not ready for it. That 1260 twin is still my favorite motor I've ever had in a bike, and the Skyhook suspension blew every other factory suspension setup I've ever ridden out of the water. Same bike also had random electrical gremlins, a swollen gas tank, ill-fitting body plastic, and at least one new fuel level sender revision per year.

Lack of dealer network / access to Ducati mechanics was my biggest issue. Hauling the thing 90 miles each way to get to a trustworthy mechanic who could also take care of a recall was a PITA. If there's a dealer in your town with mechanics who aren't complete idiots (BIG if, there) then a newer Duc isn't too bad to live with. Not Japanese levels of reliable but not bad.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 16, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

dema posted:

Was surprised to learn a while back that the Multistrada V4 was their best selling bike in 2021. Those things are $$$.

https://ridermagazine.com/2022/01/18/ducati-posts-record-sales-in-2021/

It's their 1250GS.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Glamour shot of the Fireblade down by the lake this evening

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

I sold my 2nd gen Multi last week. They're good bikes and are reasonably practical, but there's still plenty of Italian quirk there to drive you slightly nuts if you're not ready for it. That 1260 twin is still my favorite motor I've ever had in a bike, and the Skyhook suspension blew every other factory suspension setup I've ever ridden out of the water. Same bike also had random electrical gremlins, a swollen gas tank, ill-fitting body plastic, and at least one new fuel level sender revision per year.

Lack of dealer network / access to Ducati mechanics was my biggest issue. Hauling the thing 90 miles each way to get to a trustworthy mechanic who could also take care of a recall was a PITA. If there's a dealer in your town with mechanics who aren't complete idiots (BIG if, there) then a newer Duc isn't too bad to live with. Not Japanese levels of reliable but not bad.

Yeah I don't consider something you can't safely ride outside of dealer range practical.

The newer bikes also have some really, really dumb design decisions that I can't really explain, things like the monster rear MC reservoir that gets boiled cause it's an inch from the exhaust header, the multi's fundamentally not-fit-for-purpose rear brake design, that kind of thing. The older ducs were poorly built and electrically questionable but the fundamental designs were always very sound and clearly shaped by the harsh rigors of racing; the newer bikes feel much more like just a 'product' and have stuff on them no sensible designer would do.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
the MC's proximity to the exhaust collector wasn't even its only issue. The rear MC and reservoir both sit lower than the ABS junction box in the brake circuit, so air would get trapped in that junction box and be drat near impossible to get out of the lines without replacing the banjos up there with bleeders.

I never once managed to trigger ABS on that bike's rear wheel, even stomping on the brake while riding gravel. If you were lucky it would hold the bike in place on a hill, and that was it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I don't consider something you can't safely ride outside of dealer range practical.

The newer bikes also have some really, really dumb design decisions that I can't really explain, things like the monster rear MC reservoir that gets boiled cause it's an inch from the exhaust header, the multi's fundamentally not-fit-for-purpose rear brake design, that kind of thing. The older ducs were poorly built and electrically questionable but the fundamental designs were always very sound and clearly shaped by the harsh rigors of racing; the newer bikes feel much more like just a 'product' and have stuff on them no sensible designer would do.

Outside of dealer range is an infinitely variable line to draw, and is going to depend on where you live, where you ride, what your level of comfort is, what your budget is, how well covered you are for insurance or roadside assistance, etc., etc., etc.
You're almost never outside of dealer range for KTM, since their off-road stuff is omnipresent. Would you own one though? Would you plan a road trip on a long weekend knowing the only Honda dealer within 8 hours is closed Sunday and Monday?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

You're almost never outside of dealer range for KTM, since their off-road stuff is omnipresent.

have more KTM dealers started carrying the street bikes? used to be most KTM dealers were dirt only, and wouldn't work on the street bikes except maybe sumos

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

have more KTM dealers started carrying the street bikes? used to be most KTM dealers were dirt only, and wouldn't work on the street bikes except maybe sumos

Probably not, but they can order the parts, and the ape in the back holding the rattle gun can scratch his head while holding an upside down wiring diagram just as well as the one at the Honda powersports dealership.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Would you plan a road trip on a long weekend knowing the only Honda dealer within 8 hours is closed Sunday and Monday?

Fuckin absolutely without a moment's hesitation because a Honda is a practical vehicle, because it's built in a way that you don't have to plan your breakdowns geographically. That's my whole entire point. Cargo capacity is not practicality, being able to use it in real life is practicality.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I would specifically choose a Honda if I knew I’d frequently be 8 hours away from a mechanic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I would specifically choose a Honda if I knew I’d frequently be 8 hours away from a mechanic.

Exactly.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Not a mechanic, a dealership. The example given for being a pain was getting the bike to a dealership for a recall. That's not the same thing fixing a broken clutch cable, a flat battery, or getting a flat tire four hours from home.
Nobody has ever said "Gosh, what if I need my desmo valves adjusted while I'm out for a Sunday ride! Better play it safe and take the car".
If you have, a Honda is what you deserve.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 17, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm going to use another manufacturer as a punching bag for a sec because they've historically done a lot more sales in the touring market, ie "buy our bikes and ride the world", they have a poo poo dealer network, at least in the US, and they do some stupid poo poo that Ducati is doing now too: BMW

Fixing a broken clutch cable or a flat tire is one thing, fixing the error code your bike's computer is throwing that won't let you start it is something entirely different. There is a whole-rear end company whose revenue stream is based on making and selling tools that will hook into the wiring harness on various flavors of BMW to clear codes, reset service lights, etc. so you can at least stand a chance of continuing a ride and not paying for a 100+ mile tow if your bike's computer decides to gently caress you over. On very late-model BMWs, doing things like replacing fuel pumps - something any mechanic can do - also requires activating the part with the bike's computer, which requires dealer-only software - something the corner wrench probably can't help with.

Ducati does the same sort of thing. One of the fuel level senders I replaced was a newer revision than the one that had failed, and the bike would not recognize it until I took it to the dealer to get the ECU updated. If the fuel pump had failed and not the fuel level sender, I would've been stuck renting a trailer, and that's with the bike stuck at home and not the rear end end of nowhere. I won't be surprised if Honda (and other manufacturers) are doing this too, but there are a shitload more Honda dealers AND their bikes and parts are more reliable.

Unless and until the US passes a national right-to-repair law, the dealer-only software gotcha means that if you want to ride a modern bike more than 100 miles or so from a dealer, it either A) better be rock solid reliable or B) you should make sure you have drat good tow coverage and a lot of patience

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

Glamour shot of the Fireblade down by the lake this evening

Zürich?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

I'm going to use another manufacturer as a punching bag for a sec because they've historically done a lot more sales in the touring market, ie "buy our bikes and ride the world", they have a poo poo dealer network, at least in the US, and they do some stupid poo poo that Ducati is doing now too: BMW

Fixing a broken clutch cable or a flat tire is one thing, fixing the error code your bike's computer is throwing that won't let you start it is something entirely different. There is a whole-rear end company whose revenue stream is based on making and selling tools that will hook into the wiring harness on various flavors of BMW to clear codes, reset service lights, etc. so you can at least stand a chance of continuing a ride and not paying for a 100+ mile tow if your bike's computer decides to gently caress you over. On very late-model BMWs, doing things like replacing fuel pumps - something any mechanic can do - also requires activating the part with the bike's computer, which requires dealer-only software - something the corner wrench probably can't help with.

Ducati does the same sort of thing. One of the fuel level senders I replaced was a newer revision than the one that had failed, and the bike would not recognize it until I took it to the dealer to get the ECU updated. If the fuel pump had failed and not the fuel level sender, I would've been stuck renting a trailer, and that's with the bike stuck at home and not the rear end end of nowhere. I won't be surprised if Honda (and other manufacturers) are doing this too, but there are a shitload more Honda dealers AND their bikes and parts are more reliable.

Unless and until the US passes a national right-to-repair law, the dealer-only software gotcha means that if you want to ride a modern bike more than 100 miles or so from a dealer, it either A) better be rock solid reliable or B) you should make sure you have drat good tow coverage and a lot of patience

This poo poo makes me far angrier than the disposable crank case.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

That's a fair point, and a good reminder to myself that the Ducati I have had personal experience with is now nearly 20 years old, and despite a fully sketchy history of 5 prior owners over like 10 years, had zero issues in the years I owned it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

My neighbour got an old 848 which runs flawlessly and a Hypermotard which has been nothing but trouble.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lake Geneva, in the Lavaux. The mountains round Zürich are a bit off in the distance and don't come down to the lake. Still very pretty though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

My neighbour got an old 848 which runs flawlessly and a Hypermotard which has been nothing but trouble.

Old hyper or one of the newer liquid cooled ones?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Russian Bear posted:

Old hyper or one of the newer liquid cooled ones?

I went down to check, but I think it's in the shop again! Looks new-ish?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Thank you to the posters who tried to dissuade me from going with the Husqvarna. A reward for your efforts.

It's so fun to ride, can't wait to zip around crowded city streets on it.

*This space reserved for images of it broken down on the side of the road*

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nice! Super attractive bike.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Scam Likely posted:

Thank you to the posters who tried to dissuade me from going with the Husqvarna. A reward for your efforts.

It's so fun to ride, can't wait to zip around crowded city streets on it.

*This space reserved for images of it broken down on the side of the road*

good job. never listen to sad sack goons lol

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Ride the poo poo out of it and have as much fun as you can before it blows up

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I hope you have better luck, truthfully.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There's one of these at work and I crane my neck to take a look at it every single time, it's a very cool looking bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No one in their right mind will ever argue that it isn’t a great looking bike, or fun to ride.

Use that warranty liberally, my friend.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Beautiful bike.

Sell it on warranty expiration date minus one.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Steakandchips posted:

Beautiful bike.

Sell it on warranty expiration date minus one.

Also, make sure that the filter and both strainers are replaced during the first oil change.

This is what I found on one of the two strainers on my 2019 Duke 390, the sibling to the 401 Pilen.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I shopped for DR650s because of all the braying in here. they're so boring. so so boring.

(I got a 690 enduro)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

McTinkerson posted:

Also, make sure that the filter and both strainers are replaced during the first oil change.

This is what I found on one of the two strainers on my 2019 Duke 390, the sibling to the 401 Pilen.

Lol

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I shopped for DR650s because of all the braying in here. they're so boring. so so boring.

(I got a 690 enduro)

Lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wondering if you’ll get home is true riding excitement

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I'm a ktm apologist only because I've pre-replaced as many ktm failure-prone items as I can (and after owning a 701sm, 1290 SD, 300exc, and FC350 I'm full on habsburg syndromed at this point)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

KTMs are hella fun though. I want a friend who owns one so i can ride it occasionally but not deal with owning one.