Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
D&D 3.5 was really loving bad, and barely able to even do D&D, let alone anything else, despite how it was pitched as a universal system. Unfortunately 5e is doing all the same poo poo complete with a glut of half-assed licensed games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ric flair is old

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/33927221/legendary-wwe-wrestler-ric-nature-boy-flair-step-ring-one-final-july-according-sources

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

ric flair is old

lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I showed my girlfriend that story and a picture of what Ric Flair currently looks like and she asked me, "Why would he do that?"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ric flair is unable to quit because of alimony payments and because like all wrestlers he is a crazy person

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Also lmao that he's a legendary "WWE" wrestler

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ric flair who has untold amounts of unpaid debt that no person can pay off in a single lifetime once started a company called ric flair finance where ric flair gave financial advice

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

BiggerBoat posted:

That's really weird that it sucked.

You'd think a D&D type table top RPG would be tailor made for a WWF style approach and I'm having a hard time figuring out how, exactly, you gently caress that up. Just draw a grid on a square wrestling ring, use 3.5 movement rules, throw some stats, skills and feats in there then let the GM (promoter) set up stories and rule on poo poo. You just make up a character and build on it then read the dice.

Let's say it's cat themed so your guy is fast, acrobatic and has a claw, a bite and a hiss attack. Maybe he/she can piss in the opponent's corner and that's like a spell effect. We'll call that The Litterbox. Added damage for coming off the top rope. Or you're a Big Russian Bear. You get bonus attacks for hugs. Or careening off the ropes requires a skill check against a counter but if you make it, your slam/leg drop/whatever adds more damage but if the other guy counters, now he has control and can gently caress you up. You just stat out every character and roll attacks based on defense/offense/risk/modifiers, adjust HP/stamina then go to initiative. Roll for pin attempts/kick outs that are stamina/HP based. You can try to grab a chair, distract a ref, table slam a bitch or risk yourself getting counted out. Costs you a turn to climb up the rope or remove a turnbuckle. Put some managers in there that can gently caress with poo poo. Certain moves deal more damage but require higher rolls to do and they're modified by the opponent's skills and stats. Whoever wins gets to level up and poo poo like that.

Seems like it'd be even easier than making a wrestling video game since you don't have to animate it or worry about collision detection and a million different moves. You don't need a license since you can recreate Andre, Flair or Hulk if you want to. Maybe I'll kickstart this.

That's actually a pretty accurate summary of what WWE Know Your Role was, the trouble was:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

D&D 3.5 was really loving bad, and barely able to even do D&D, let alone anything else, despite how it was pitched as a universal system. Unfortunately 5e is doing all the same poo poo complete with a glut of half-assed licensed games.

Know Your Role was hardly unique in this regard. We saw this time and again with OGL products that try to do something other than Dungeons and Dragons. Now, I will admit that there is a certain appeal to playing an RPG like a physics engine that's easy to break, and the d20 rules do give that feel. It's the same reason you would play Skyrim - you want to see horses spazz out or infinite cheese floods. But for that to feel fun rather than an annoyance you need a certain type of setting and story where this level of jank is acceptable, if not expected.

For all the ways Pro-Wrestling can get goofy, whether Work or Shoot, it's not ever 'broken physics engine' goofy. 3.5's dirty secret is that as much as Spellcaster Supremacy is derided, if you just take away spells and magic - the cheat codes that let you circumvent the engine - it becomes really, really dull.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I CAN FIX THAT *throws a giant pack of paper towels in the air while screaming COME GETTA MATCH*

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't see this mentioned here but they're making a pro wrestling RPG video game

https://gamerant.com/wrestle-quest-pro-rpg/

This got me curious so I looked around to see if there had ever been a tabletop wrestling rpg, which seems like a no brainer and I found this

https://ndpdesign.com/wwwrpg

Instinctively, WWF and an RPG seem like a perfect match. The battle mat is right there and you can make other ones for backstage poo poo. You got stats, special moves, alignment, feats and (or course) role playing. Usually PvP or evil characters ruin a regular D&D campaign but in this case I'd think it would be encouraged. It doesn't matter if players don't show up for sessions since you only really need two.

The GM is basically a Vince character. Stories and campaigns can go anywhere really. New characters can come in any time and it would be fun to create some wild gimmicks.

Anyone ever played any of these games?

Dicebreaker did a playthrough of World Wide Wrestling once. They had fun with it, although the system seems kind of awkward and it's obvious one player was struggling with what to do as she didn't know anything about wrestling. You'd probably need a group who'd be confident going hard RP like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK2rD6txtXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJEbI5xY3E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWBytslHx2M

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Monday Night Raw is a scripted live TV show whose characters are expected to perform the requirements of their contract.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Voting Floater posted:

Dicebreaker did a playthrough of World Wide Wrestling once. They had fun with it, although the system seems kind of awkward and it's obvious one player was struggling with what to do as she didn't know anything about wrestling. You'd probably need a group who'd be confident going hard RP like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK2rD6txtXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJEbI5xY3E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWBytslHx2M

You're also not playing wrestlers during a show, but a wrestling fed doing a show, which I can imagine might throw some people and is three kayfabe layers deep, so its very much a game for nerds with a deeper understanding of the minutiae of wrestling to play than a casual fan who remembers some big names and likes seeing big spots, as it were.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
If this thread taught me anything, it's that a true wrestling RPG shouldn't be about HP, stamina, about how much damage your suplex does, or about whether you can overcome a hard boss to win the championship.

It should be about style, about how good you are at really selling the Stunner you got hit with, about how well you work with the other wrestler no matter which of you is supposed to win, about getting the crowd to love you or hate you appropriately, and then about getting popular enough to get a championship match that you're supposed to win (but you goddamn better make the match look good or you won't keep it for long).

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Torchlighter posted:

You're also not playing wrestlers during a show, but a wrestling fed doing a show, which I can imagine might throw some people and is three kayfabe layers deep, so its very much a game for nerds with a deeper understanding of the minutiae of wrestling to play than a casual fan who remembers some big names and likes seeing big spots, as it were.

*angrily crumples up character sheet with 'Chilly McFreeze' scrawled at top*

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I remember when Ahmed Johnson was getting a push for some reason. Wrestling promos could be an absolute trainwreck of logic, but this guy took it to a whole new level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bGErn95VGQ

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

It should be about style, about how good you are at really selling the Stunner you got hit with, about how well you work with the other wrestler no matter which of you is supposed to win, about getting the crowd to love you or hate you appropriately, and then about getting popular enough to get a championship match that you're supposed to win (but you goddamn better make the match look good or you won't keep it for long).

It's absolutely about all those things, in doing so taking a form just different enough that people who expect the former can trip a little. I certainly think there's more meat on the bone in the sphere it targets, there's only so often you can roll to hit your comeback sequence and smash someone with a chair over, well, hitting your comeback sequence and smashing someone with a chair performatively after a show that started disastrously with the lights and power getting real faulty.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

No no, you're still ultimately playing your character, its just about rolling to cut a good promo witha dead mic that people connect with rather than rolling to hit the Ice Age and pin your enemy Global Warming.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Origin posted:

I remember when Ahmed Johnson was getting a push for some reason

The reason was just look at him.

I had a similar response to Ahmed as i did to Brock when he debuted. Look at this loving monster hey honey come in here you have to see this guy

One of them turned out to be a legendary wet turd and the other turned out to be legendary and a wet turd

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9qXNJtWYGg

How is Billy Corgen running a wrestling thing and doing a tour with Perry Farrell?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dixie carter almost sold TNA to two neo nazi's completely by accident lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

What's wrong with "Professor Crocodile"? I'd totally wrestle that guy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The latest wrestling thing of interest right now is how Sasha Banks and Naomi straight-up walked out of WWE the evening of Raw when they were supposed to be in the main event.

A few years ago, WWE introduced tag titles for the women's division. Sasha Banks and Bayley were the initial winners and the two were adamant about making it mean something. It was their passion project. Then they were booked to lose the titles after about a month and a half and they were pretty upset about it. Then for the next few years, the women's tag titles meant poo poo because WWE just didn't have the effort to work around the limited roster size.

Fast-forward to this year's WrestleMania, where Sasha and Naomi were given the titles for the sake of placating them. They figured, fine, they would take the ball and run with it. Once again try and make the tag titles mean something. Then on Monday, the writers wanted to do a multi-woman match in the main event where the winner would be #1 contender for the Raw women's singles title. Naomi was supposed to win it. Not only did the finish have nothing to do with their current tag team rivalry (despite both women being in the match), but Naomi being involved in the singles title picture would have removed the tag titles from the narrative for 2-3 months.

The two talked to Vince, who was receptive of the criticism, but apparently the writers and agents were all pissed about it all. After being told repeatedly to change their attitudes and stop questioning the people in charge, Sasha and Naomi decided, gently caress it, done. They dropped off their title belts and walked off.

A couple hours later, WWE released a statement that tried to throw the two under the bus, claiming that the two considered certain members of the roster unsafe (alienating frustrated talent is their go-to move). The statement also bemoaned how matches like that take EIGHT HOURS of preparation. They also had commentator Corey Graves drop mention of the incident on TV to explain the replacement main event, while making sure to call them unprofessional ingrates.

It's hard to say what this will lead to. Stuff like this has happened with Steve Austin, CM Punk, Neville/Pac, and Ali and the aftermaths have been all over the place. WWE will probably just let them stew at home until either their contracts run out or they get bored enough to come back.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Could be a work.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The way the statement is worded it sounds like a work because WWE can't do anything right

Also, regardless of whether or not this is a work they should have taken the belts with them

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TheSwizzler posted:

Could be a work.

Nah. All I keep hearing is how "nobody wants to work" anymore so it's probably that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheSwizzler posted:

Could be a work.

Other than WWE doing the stupidest thing possible because they're WWE, I can't see it as being a work.

Sasha has had a history of butting heads with the top brass, including a time when she was sitting at home asking to be let go. The whole thing feels too similar to how WWE handled it when Austin walked out. Plus it's laced with WWE's latest tendency to say, "This person wants to leave? Well, we're going to discredit them and tell everyone what a gigantic pain in the rear end they were behind the scenes!"

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Gavok posted:

Other than WWE doing the stupidest thing possible because they're WWE, I can't see it as being a work.

Sasha has had a history of butting heads with the top brass, including a time when she was sitting at home asking to be let go. The whole thing feels too similar to how WWE handled it when Austin walked out. Plus it's laced with WWE's latest tendency to say, "This person wants to leave? Well, we're going to discredit them and tell everyone what a gigantic pain in the rear end they were behind the scenes!"

That's a good point, but the fact they put the burial on the air instead of just in some tweet or news release makes it just seem a bit more work-y

has Vince Russo been spotted sneaking around any recent events?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

TheSwizzler posted:

Could be a work.

its always a work except when its a shoot brother

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

TheSwizzler posted:

That's a good point, but the fact they put the burial on the air instead of just in some tweet or news release makes it just seem a bit more work-y

has Vince Russo been spotted sneaking around any recent events?

They did a press release where they basically both exposed the business and also made up a story about Sasha and Naomi being unwilling to work with some of the other women in the match. It's 100% Vince being petty as gently caress.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Sasha Banks seems pretty cool (I base this entirely on her appearance on "Hot Ones", the youtube show where people eat chicken with hot sauce).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheSwizzler posted:

Again, see the time Austin "took his ball and went home." They straight-up brought in the Rock at the last minute to make a special appearance to bury Austin as the main event of that Raw.

Maybe Austin's final years should be the next effort post.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What happened with Austin? I though that he's one of those legacy wrestlers they keep begging to come back for a ratings bump.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
austin refused to wrestle hulk hogan but they were both in bad shape and neither was going to able to carry the other to a good match so it was a good call on austins part imo

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

pentyne posted:

What happened with Austin? I though that he's one of those legacy wrestlers they keep begging to come back for a ratings bump.

I don't know but I'm just going to say he makes more money off Onlyfans now.

Also he wrestled at the last wrestlemania

titties
May 10, 2012

He came back at wrestlemania this year to face kevin steen in his first match in 19 years.

It was a very well-told story in the ring imo. Stone Cold picked a good time to retire. He always looked great when he did make appearances since he got out while he was still reasonably mobile. He looked like he still had years left in him. He always looked like he could still go hard even as nearly 20 years marched past.

When the match started, though, it became apparent that he couldn't go. It was sad and a little heartbreaking that he was going to Flair himself by having a burning diaper of a match.

He got ran into a ring post and cushioned the impact with a forearm which apparently burst a blood vessel judging by the gross bruise that blossomed within seconds. He looked slow and frail and broken down despite his neck and arms still looking thick and strong.

Then he took a suplex onto the concrete which seemed to wake him up. The rest of the match was not great but by the end of it he definitely looked different than he did going into it. He never looked like he did when he was in his 30's but what he did do out there wasn't an embarrassment, which seemed like a foregone conclusion during the first several minutes of the match.

I have to assume all of this was intentional for the purpose of telling a story like the one in Rocky Balboa, a story where a former champion in his 60's starts to feel the fire again and wants to go out with one last moment under the spotlight even though he's too old and too hosed up.

To a lot of people though, either the story didn't land or they could never shake the first impression that the match was a pathetic attempt to grasp at former glory and to instead be completely exposed.

That wasn't what i saw though. I saw a diminished but still passionate legend who worked around his limitations to deliver a more subtle and interesting wrestling performance than i think I've ever witnessed.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

pentyne posted:

if you're asking specifically what Gavok is referring to, he was booked to lose to Lesnar in like 2002 and thought it was too big of a match to give away on free tv. wwe didn't budge, so he walked out

it's way in the past but notable for how quickly, viciously, and deeply wwe turned on the most popular wrestler in history

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Was he still able to catch a beer and slam it?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

TheSwizzler posted:

Nah, that tracks with how petty Vince is

titties
May 10, 2012

War and Pieces posted:

Was he still able to catch a beer and slam it?

Yes. At least a third of the match was him drinking beer.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Detheros posted:

Nah, that tracks with how petty Vince is

its not even the first time vince has done this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

This is an amazing thread and helped me relive the attitude era and all the backstage drama. I'd always read some website I don't remember for the guy's opinion on the upcoming Raw and Nitro, and he would briefly go into some of the backstage drama after each show.

Someone effortpost about Kurt Angle. Dude was amazing back in the day. Great on the mic-always came off as a full of himself dickhead, always got booed. Great wrestling skills (duh), always looked like he was trying hard in the ring, and could legit carry people (he broke Hardcore Holly's arm in a match, and they somehow finished the match).