Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The_Other posted:

Also, Allison's various social media, apparently the copyright on Conan the Barbarian has expired in Europe, thus;

I don't think Allison is really going to go through with a Lottie/Conan crossover, but then again I never thought he'd do the previous Giant Days/Batman comic. I can't see how a Conan and Lottie story could work, but stranger things have happened. Conan has crossed over with the Marvel universe in various comics, most recently Marvel's Savage Avengers, which has him interacting with some of the more morally dubious “heroes” (The Punisher, Wolverine, Black Widow). The issue where he has to team up with Doctorss Strange and Doom was fun too.

If Conan did show up in one of Allison's works, I could see him working better with the Steeple cast, if only because that series is more action-oriented. I could see Conan and Penrose bonding while fighting monsters, although Penrose might have stop Conan from killing Magus Tom.
1: Conan is a cunning thief and adventurer more than he is a big strong barbarian, maybe Lottie and Conan are on opposite sides of the law with him trying to steal something she's trying to protect.
2: Lottie is at a museum learning about the Hyperborean Age and reads a story of the great king Conan and tries to solve an unfinished saga's ending.
3: Lottie and Conan team up to deal with a magician type and Lottie wants to debunk it while Conan would rather just cut his foul sorcerous head off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

I've been sifting through some older OOW panels for style references, and that last one just lingers with me.

Mutts

Hmmm this looks an awful lot like....
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis is in reruns again.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hostile V posted:

1: Conan is a cunning thief and adventurer more than he is a big strong barbarian, maybe Lottie and Conan are on opposite sides of the law with him trying to steal something she's trying to protect.
2: Lottie is at a museum learning about the Hyperborean Age and reads a story of the great king Conan and tries to solve an unfinished saga's ending.
3: Lottie and Conan team up to deal with a magician type and Lottie wants to debunk it while Conan would rather just cut his foul sorcerous head off.
Conan shows up in Tackleford to pay a visit to his nephew Zebus.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Love a good ol' fashioned "drug dealers secretly lace cheap drugs with more expensive drugs" plot.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

That third panel dialogue seemed unnecessary.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm brave enough to say I laughed at a Dustin. Can't they all be like that?

LAFFO

Jucika "218 - Jucika's Tactical Move"

"219 - Jucika's Summer Vacation (Morning Workout)"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

good news moz he's already told her where he is we can end the story now actually

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Monya the Grey: The final chapter

As for how much time has passed, last time we saw gourd guy he looked like this:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

howe_sam posted:

Conan shows up in Tackleford to pay a visit to his nephew Zebus.
God you're right, how did I forget Zebus.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm going to beat up qrais

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Ah, Ye olde Bugs Meaney Frame job.

I don't think the TIgers have "Boy, look at all this"-money, so I guess Bugs:
1 - Stole Encyclopedia's New Theory of Relativity
2 - Found or pickpocketed the wallet, and planted it by the statue
3 - Called up Encyclopedia and gave him the cryptic message to get him to come to the statue.
4 - Called up the wallet owner and gave him a similarly cryptic message.
5 - Hid in the bushes, counting on Encyclopedia to arrive first, find the wallet, and only then be noticed by the wallet's actual owner, who is also willing to come to the park in the dark. The owner would then jump to the conclusion that the World's Greatest Boy Detective was the thief, or be prodded into it by Bugs Meaney, Upright Citizen Witness.

Tune in next week to find out how this airtight scheme fails!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'm glad that at least the scarecrows have gotten a happy ending.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm going to beat up qrais

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Rudy Becomes A Crisis Actor But Like In A Good Way I Guess

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Thranguy posted:

Helen is quitting her job without notice, leaving the yearbook prominently centered on her desk. This isn't over yet. (Will it also involve a suicide attempt and/or a forged scandalous inscription?)

They'll find her dead in a crushed car at Kelrast's Curve

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

Rudy Becomes A Crisis Actor But Like In A Good Way I Guess

They call this "trouble" but idk this looks like a lot of fun.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (January 12-14, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (April 3-5, 1919)

We did this for Katrinka, how about one for Tomboy Taylor, too.

Dok's Dippy Boatjacking (February 21, 1914)

Yeah, skipped another one...

Little Lefty (August 17-19, 1936)

Blondie (From Zero) gives us "Well, that settles that." (February 11-13, 1932)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True May 19, 1919

And He Did! May 29, 1919

Cat Tales April 28, 1925

Oaky Doaks October 27, 1936

Mopsy January 5, 1938

Up Front April 23, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems July 17, 1952

Those Were the Days July 28, 1960

Wee Pals July 20, 1966

Dogbert April 18, 1967

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Apr 23-24, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 20, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 3-4, 1991)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

I mean...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

Love a good ol' fashioned "drug dealers secretly lace cheap drugs with more expensive drugs" plot.
I could be wrong, but I suspect there's going to be more to it than that. They've got some goal other than selling drugs.

So she was hit, but only after she hit (a child) first? No sympathy for this woman.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tiggum posted:

I could be wrong, but I suspect there's going to be more to it than that. They've got some goal other than selling drugs.

The girl and her mother inherited a fortune from the dad, right? Get her hooked and out of the picture, then marry the mother and arrange an accident. Given her fear of him despite the amnesia, I figure she found something out.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey: The final chapter

:cry:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Who is the letter from in the next to last panel? Only person I can think of is it's an old letter from Baba Yaga, suggesting Monya was originally intended to be a sacrifice.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

Dark Side of the Horse often gets a hearty chuckle from me, and it's interesting that I so easily parse its repetition as variations on a theme instead of recycling old jokes Heathcliff-style. I think it's because even if the setups are similar there's often some minimum effort of wit to reach the end.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Bruceski posted:

Who is the letter from in the next to last panel? Only person I can think of is it's an old letter from Baba Yaga, suggesting Monya was originally intended to be a sacrifice.
This is it, yes - TBH it was a bit of a bear to translate and I had to muddy things to shorten it enough to make it fit on the tilted page, but a more direct translation would look like:

more of less full text of the letter posted:

-ing Monya
I had to leave you
I can't ask you to forgive me
But I couldn't kill you to become the G-
This is all I can do for you

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
thank you for posting Monja.......it's really good the second time around.

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 09, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons
Brussel sprouts are awesome! Both of my kids are hooked on them and get disappointed if we bring vegetables to the table and sprouts aren't amongst them. We toss them in vegetable oil and salt and oven roast them.

When I was a kid the only kind that came to the table were frozen and soaked in butter. They were gross and I didn't like them but in this century you can get them fresh at the grocer and can prepare them without soaking them in a sea of butter.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

fondue posted:

Brussel sprouts are awesome! Both of my kids are hooked on them and get disappointed if we bring vegetables to the table and sprouts aren't amongst them. We toss them in vegetable oil and salt and oven roast them.

When I was a kid the only kind that came to the table were frozen and soaked in butter. They were gross and I didn't like them but in this century you can get them fresh at the grocer and can prepare them without soaking them in a sea of butter.
Also in the last, 10-20 years, somebody developed a new, much less bitter cultivar, IIRC, so brussels sprouts these days are genuinely better than what, say, the author remembers from being a kid were.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 15, 1951)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

fondue posted:

They're still just not-as-good cabbage though. They're fine, but cabbage is literally the same thing but better.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/16/02

Brenda Starr 10/3/48

Dale Messick invents hippies 20 years early.

Smokey Stover 12/14/47

Everyday Movies 2/28/35

"I'm glad the store is closed or I'd go in and buy that dress."

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tiggum posted:

They're still just not-as-good cabbage though. They're fine, but cabbage is literally the same thing but better.

We can play "which Brassica oleracea is best?" all day, but you'll never top properly prepared collard greens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Classic Nancy 1947