Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Precambrian posted:

As far as I can tell, Truffaut never said it was "impossible," just that he hadn't seen an anti-war film succeed and he doubted he could pull it off either, and I think he's got a case there.

Its exactly that. The quote came from an interview where Gene Siskel asked him why he doesn't show killing in his movies and he responded that violence is ambiguous and that he'd never seen an antiwar film. He's very clearly correct in the assessment that violence on screen is ambiguous and people can apply whatever worldview or ideology they want to it. The part that people seem to have a hard time wrapping their heads around is that it doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't make films that are critical of war and depict it with all of its violent horrors, you just need to go into it knowing that some people will miss your point. Truffaut didn't want to engage with that. Its not impossible to make an antiwar film, he just hadn't seen one that could eliminate that ambiguity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember hating Starship Troopers as a kid solely for the fact there's a part where kids are stomping on Madagascar hissing roaches, and I had them as pets, and it looked pretty clear they were crushing and killing bugs, not just fake ones.

Also the vagina-braineating bug made me laugh so hard I almost cried.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Randalor posted:

The 4th season of Blackadder? It's set in the trenches of WW1, but for 5 1/2 episodes, it's "Blackadder tries to get away from the front lines" comedy and 1/2 episode of unfiltered despair.

No real combat is shown, and the one time the British won a battle, they won a piece of land large enough to fit onto the general's desk, at horrific costs of life.

The original Upstairs, Downstairs (also season 4) covered WWI without a single battle scene and focused mostly on the homefront. It starts with the excitement of potentially fighting, then the boredom, then oh bloody hell this is bad. Capped by the 1918 flu pandemic. Once it hits the latter stage, it's gut shot after gut shot.

Then it carries over into Season 5.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

mandatory lesbian posted:

This is jarhead

Jarhead is probably the closest thing to a successful anti-war movie I’ve seen. The whole experience of being a recruit seems miserable, more of the characters die to friendly fire than anything else, and the protagonist accomplishes absolutely nothing over the course of the movie except risking his life and wasting his time

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Consider: The Jarhead sequels. It speaks to its success as a "war cool" movie that the brand could be leveraged to sell more "war cool" movies.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Consider: The Jarhead sequels. It speaks to its success as a "war cool" movie that the brand could be leveraged to sell more "war cool" movies.

Well uh, they didnt actually sell. Tho i dont think jarhead was a great success either tbf

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Kit Walker posted:

Jarhead is probably the closest thing to a successful anti-war movie I’ve seen. The whole experience of being a recruit seems miserable, more of the characters die to friendly fire than anything else, and the protagonist accomplishes absolutely nothing over the course of the movie except risking his life and wasting his time

It's still in service of showing how hard war is on our boys instead of the people getting bombed

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I was going to "well actually" but I can't find a version of the quote that matches how I've always heard it. But I always thought it was, "it is impossible to make an anti-war war film". To me that makes more sense. I guess it's also blindingly obvious, but it works as a rebuke to someone who makes a movie glorifying war but then tries to spin it as "no don't you get it, I'm saying war is bad actually"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's still in service of showing how hard war is on our boys instead of the people getting bombed

I mean I don't disagree it was too much of an element but I think having them literally walk across the highway of death kinda did a solid job of showing that this was just imperial cruelty to the locals too

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Yup. Case in point:

quote:

TIME magazine's Richard Schickel wrote, "But the best war movies—and this one, despite its being overlong and repetitive, is among them—hold that men fight (or in this case, are ready to fight) not for causes, but to survive and to help their comrades do the same".

Nothing will ever get through to some people

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZOLq82m2Ks

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
The Sopranos does a good job showing that the glitz of the mob is all surface level bullshit and if you look for more than a second then the actual mob bullshit is just zero-sum viciousness and violence and extortion by dumbasses.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

OPAONI posted:

The Sopranos does a good job showing that the glitz of the mob is all surface level bullshit and if you look for more than a second then the actual mob bullshit is just zero-sum viciousness and violence and extortion by dumbasses.

Kind of like Breaking Bad, but both suffer from idiots who see the tiny bits of "lol drat he SO COOL" without realizing no, blowing up a drug lord's pad is not amazing long term.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Walter White definitely has lot more superficially cool stuff going on than Tony. Besides having sex a lot, I guess, all Tony really has going is Gandolfini’s charisma.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Walter is a genuine genius who does cool poo poo. The entire point of Sopranos is Tony and his pals are old relics in out of date style wheezing their way through loving the sex workers they already employ most of the time

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

neither of them had the makings of a varsity athlete

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hawowanlawow posted:

neither of them had the makings of a varsity athlete

literally one of the greatest scenes in TV, just such a perfect encapsulation of Tony. Just a sad fat old loser getting mad his demented uncle said he couldn't go varsity decades ago even as he's a mafia boss with a family and wealth and all that. Gandolfini was a loving treasure.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
If Walter was really a genius he would have let his rich friend pay for his medical treatment in episode 1.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

If Walter was really a genius he would have let his rich friend pay for his medical treatment in episode 1.

But don't you see? Walter should have been rich already, it's his friend's fault for tricking him into selling out his shares before they became worth anything, and that's just so unfair and just another example of everyone being out to get him and that's why making and selling meth was actually the cool and right thing to do.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

I was going to "well actually" but I can't find a version of the quote that matches how I've always heard it. But I always thought it was, "it is impossible to make an anti-war war film". To me that makes more sense. I guess it's also blindingly obvious, but it works as a rebuke to someone who makes a movie glorifying war but then tries to spin it as "no don't you get it, I'm saying war is bad actually"

This is actually IN Jarhead as he talks about how the recruits watched Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket and instead of going "wow this suck" they were super excited to go kill and get killed.

e: For the record I do think Jarhead is the closest to an anti war movie because it deals mostly with how poo poo the military is, there is almost no combat except for a scene where their own planes kill a bunch of their own soldiers. It does do a bit of "poor us, went to a foreign country to kill kids and now we're hosed up" but that's to be expected from an autobiography.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe "anti-war" is a fool's errand, anyway. I can see how it appeals as a kind of almost apolitical position for comfortable Americans and some Westerners to make movies about, but it's not like it would be a good sell for many of the people on the other side of the USA's imperialist wars. Meanwhile, I doubt there'd be much sympathy here to an "anti-war" movie with the message that the US should stay out of WWII.

"Anti-imperialism", or something that actually addresses why people go to war, might be better. Like, I wouldn't call The Battle of Algiers "anti-war", but I doubt a lot of people came out of it thinking "wow, the French occupation of Algeria was so cool!"

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

I see that a lot in Vietnam War stories. That the US soldiers were also a victim of the war is true, but they often veer into the US soldiers were the real victims of the war, which is absurd.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Like actually though. Walt was genius enough to help create Grey Matter and pioneer nobel-winning research. Even after leaving Grey Matter there's no reason he couldn't have landed on his feet somewhere at a prestigious lab somewhere.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The whole point of that is his arrogance and pride.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I mean, yea, that's the show, man.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

christmas boots posted:

Like actually though. Walt was genius enough to help create Grey Matter and pioneer nobel-winning research. Even after leaving Grey Matter there's no reason he couldn't have landed on his feet somewhere at a prestigious lab somewhere.

Well, there was, and that was his ego.

Also, as I recall didn't Walter burn his bridges at Grey Matter because the girl he liked went for his partner instead? After which Walt started banging Skylar, who was his grad student, and had to take the teaching job after she got knocked up?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Nah he and Gretchen were together, they never really go into why they broke up if I recall? The general assumption (they might have hinted at it, been ages since I watched BB) is that something very minor resulted in Walt feeling slighted, he quit and blew up his whole life in response and then nursed the grudge for years basically.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jedit posted:

Well, there was, and that was his ego.

Also, as I recall didn't Walter burn his bridges at Grey Matter because the girl he liked went for his partner instead? After which Walt started banging Skylar, who was his grad student, and had to take the teaching job after she got knocked up?

There are a couple of jobs along the way that get briefly mentioned. Including Sandia National Laboratories (I think in the flashback where he's buying the house with Skyler) and the other place mentioned in Season 1 that Skylar thinks gave him cancer. It's not totally clear why he ended up leaving those for the high school job but I imagine Walt grew increasingly checked out as Gray Matter becomes more successful.

also IIRC Skyler wasn't his grad student. She was the hostess at a restaurant near one of his jobs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

Nah he and Gretchen were together, they never really go into why they broke up if I recall? The general assumption (they might have hinted at it, been ages since I watched BB) is that something very minor resulted in Walt feeling slighted, he quit and blew up his whole life in response and then nursed the grudge for years basically.

Walt always felt super embarrassed about not being the same kind of upper class money people as Gretchen's family. It sort of built up to what is assumed to be some epic tantrum where he broke up with her and then sold his share of the company for $5k.

Dude was a Caltech Ph.D, started a massively successful biotech company (even if he left) and then ended up as a high school teacher. That life path requires not only do you make major life mistakes multiple times, but that you are also such a fragile toxic person you both burn every opportunity you possibly can while having such an ego that you never let a single slight, real or imagined, go.

Early on you can tell that Gretchen and Elliot really do still think of him as a great friend and an important person to them especially how Elliot reacts to the gift of some knock-off ramen at his birthday party while surround by other 5 figure gifts from rich friends, and the moment they find out about the cancer want to help out by just giving him all the money he needs to afford to fight it. Walter's response is to seethe and grow ever more furious that he's not a millionaire like they are.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That said, publicly opening all the gifts is kind of a douchey move, though I would guess most of the other guests probably wanted their gifts to be shown off like that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

christmas boots posted:

That said, publicly opening all the gifts is kind of a douchey move, though I would guess most of the other guests probably wanted their gifts to be shown off like that.

He literally chucks a signed Eric Clapton guitar out of his way and is visibly moved by a single pack of ramen, and spends more time thanking Walt for it then all the previous gifts combined.

It's pretty clear that point is Elliot loves Walt and considers him one of the most important people in his life despite all the issues and Walt, even after knocking it out of the park compared to the other gift givers, still feels shame and embarrassment for not being rich more then feeling any sense of affection or pride.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
No I get that, I'm just complaining about his birthday etiquette in general. Though again, when you're at the level where people are giving you signed Clapton guitars you're probably supposed to be doing that publicly so all the rich people get to flex.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Id chuck a eric clapton guitar too, clapton sucks rear end

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

*American genius

Also a sucker who believes the the self-made man myth instead of just of just paying it lip service

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

mandatory lesbian posted:

Id chuck a eric clapton guitar too, clapton sucks rear end

I would sell it for money

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oldpainless posted:

I would sell it for money

Id drop it out of a window in honor of the musician

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You’re leaving money on the table

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

pentyne posted:

a fragile toxic person you both burn every opportunity you possibly can while having such an ego that you never let a single slight, real or imagined, go.
Yeah, this is exactly my takeaway from it. He's always been selfish and manipulative and arrogant and vindictive and that's what had him the king of sad handjob land

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

christmas boots posted:

No I get that, I'm just complaining about his birthday etiquette in general. Though again, when you're at the level where people are giving you signed Clapton guitars you're probably supposed to be doing that publicly so all the rich people get to flex.

since when do you open birthday presents in private? what's the point of inviting people over and them bringing a gift and then not opening it in their presence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Huh yeah I guess I did do it that way when I was a kid. Not sure where I got it into my head that it’s impolite to make it a whole thing.

Idk someone probably told me that when I was a teenager and it stuck

E: if someone brings me a gift I open it there so they can share in that moment sure. I just never have a big “it’s time to open gifts now” thing

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 01:11 on May 18, 2022