Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm trying to recover anything I can from my former life after losing it all in a fire, and I've hit a snag. I lost my Google account, and that's the email I had linked to my Nintendo account. I feel like an idiot for turning 2FA on on my Nintendo account because I can't get a Google authenticator code, and all the backup codes I have were in a text file on my computer which is a molten hunk of metal now.

I know that I'm going to have to talk to someone at Nintendo customer support to change the information associated with the account, since Google is completely and utterly worthless, but does anyone know how likely my chances are to be able to get all my games back? I'm really hoping I don't lose everything I owned.

While I've never dealt with anything that extreme, my experience with Nintendo support has always been positive. Just make sure you're patient and thorough with your explanation and they'll work with you as best they can.
You may need to verify some purchases and personal info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm trying to recover anything I can from my former life after losing it all in a fire, and I've hit a snag. I lost my Google account, and that's the email I had linked to my Nintendo account. I feel like an idiot for turning 2FA on on my Nintendo account because I can't get a Google authenticator code, and all the backup codes I have were in a text file on my computer which is a molten hunk of metal now.

I know that I'm going to have to talk to someone at Nintendo customer support to change the information associated with the account, since Google is completely and utterly worthless, but does anyone know how likely my chances are to be able to get all my games back? I'm really hoping I don't lose everything I owned.

i'm not sure how it works with nintendo but i've been in a similar situation where i lost a google account and lost access to games on other digital storefronts and you should be able to prove you own the account with a paypal or credit card number or some other form of ID unless nintendo does it differently for some reason

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

High

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wait a minute did my son just beat Kirby in like six hours?....

I need to look into this.

Edit: okay he got faked out by the first Dedede takeout

mdemone fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 16, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mdemone posted:

it's still not very long

https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=98273

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I got locked out of one of my alternate accounts on Switch and customer support was able to get me back in by saying what the email address was + the console serial number.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mdemone posted:

Your son is dumb as hell!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tell your son he didn’t beat it until he completes the true arena with no buffs, amiibos, or powers

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
All of you are the dad in sekiro

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

American McGay posted:

Your son is dumb as hell!

:chaostrump:

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1526250094005207041?s=21&t=MI6cqP15B_4DIhYe7xXgBQ

meh.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Free + crossplay is great, but I'm not even sure that can inject enough life into the corpse of Fall Guys.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Nep-Nep posted:

I got locked out of one of my alternate accounts on Switch and customer support was able to get me back in by saying what the email address was + the console serial number.

I'm on hold on the phone right now with their customer support and I think I'm hosed. Becuase yeah they want my console serial number, which I can't get on account of the Switch being under piles of burnt rubble and possibly even melted itself.

I might lose all my loving games and save files... :negative:

e: Yep, guy said "Nope, nothing we can do for you if you can't get into your email and you don't have the serial number." I loving lost all my goddamn games, and save files.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 17, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm on hold on the phone right now with their customer support and I think I'm hosed. Becuase yeah they want my console serial number, which I can't get on account of the Switch being under piles of burnt rubble and possibly even melted itself.

e: Yep, guy said "Nope, nothing we can do for you if you can't get into your email and you don't have the serial number." I loving lost all my goddamn games, and save files.

Fuuuucking hell. Is it possible that you'd somehow be able to retrieve the system from under all that stuff? Wild that they don't have any way to help at all.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Some retailers record the system serial numbers when it is sold to you, and can look up old sales. Where did you buy your switch?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Fuuuucking hell. Is it possible that you'd somehow be able to retrieve the system from under all that stuff? Wild that they don't have any way to help at all.

It is, I suppose, possible that the Switch is somewhat intact under the remains of the house, but we can't start recovery until after the investigators determine the cause of the fire. Also it's been raining which will probably delay things too. But if it got melted, or the sticker is unreadable (and I feel like the heat of the fire probably would make it that way), I'm hosed.

Peteyfoot posted:

Some retailers record the system serial numbers when it is sold to you, and can look up old sales. Where did you buy your switch?

Wal-Mart, though I doubt they'd have the serial number. On top of the fact that I don't remember when they sold it to me, I had a problem with the first Switch I bought from them, the screen was hosed up. So I had to bring it back in and exchange it for a new one. I feel like the exchange department probably didn't record that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
When you lose your home in a fire don't you get a report or something you can send to your insurance? Can't they use that to recover your account?

Beyond that I think it's media time. Tweet @Nintendo, and/or send an email to Nintendo Life and Nintendo Enthusiast. Most people don't maintain offsite backups for their personal lives, so this story and the outcome certainly has public interest relevance.

To everyone else in this thread: Print your 2FA backup codes and put them in your safe deposit box, yesterday.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 17, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oscar Wild posted:

All of you are the dad in sekiro

“ONE! The parent is absolute. Their will must be obeyed! Yet I'm sensing some insubordination!"
-Me when my brat tells me that he doesn’t want to beat the treasure road target times in Kirby because they’re “””optional”” and “”don’t even contribute to 100% completion””

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wal-Mart, though I doubt they'd have the serial number. On top of the fact that I don't remember when they sold it to me, I had a problem with the first Switch I bought from them, the screen was hosed up. So I had to bring it back in and exchange it for a new one. I feel like the exchange department probably didn't record that.

If you used the same debit/credit card for an Walmart online purchase, it will keep a record even if you purchase it in store. You can go into the Walmart app and search for “switch”. It goes back pretty far I just found my purchase from 2018.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

When you lose your home in a fire don't you get a report or something you can send to your insurance? Can't they use that to recover your account?

Beyond that I think it's media time. Tweet @Nintendo, and/or send an email to Nintendo Life and Nintendo Enthusiast. Most people don't maintain offsite backups for their personal lives, so this story and the outcome certainly has public interest relevance.

To everyone else in this thread: Print your 2FA backup codes and put them in your safe deposit box, yesterday.

I don't know about any report, really. The insurance company came by pretty quickly, before the house even collapsed, actually. The investigation I think is maybe being done by them, so they can get that info directly.

And the funny thing is having 2FA is what hosed me over, if I didn't have 2FA on my Nintendo account I could just log in on this computer and change the email on Nintendo's site. :v: But since I do have 2FA it wants a Google Authenticator code, which I can't get. I mean, I'm not saying don't turn on 2FA, since that puts you at risk, but honestly I kind of wish I hadn't turned it on, because then I wouldn't be in this situation.

Sonel posted:

If you used the same debit/credit card for an Walmart online purchase, it will keep a record even if you purchase it in store. You can go into the Walmart app and search for “switch”. It goes back pretty far I just found my purchase from 2018.

It was an in-store purchase, not online. I have a different debit card now too, the one I used to buy the Switch expired last year.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
drat Wii U is gonna be a decade old in six months that’s nuts

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I logged into my nintendo account through my phone and disabled 2FA after I got a new phone and couldn't recover my codes. Dunno if that's an option for you though

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

It was an in-store purchase, not online. I have a different debit card now too, the one I used to buy the Switch expired last year.

Stores also track your purchases through your email address and/or phone number, so the different debit card may not even matter. Call (or show up) and ask. Retailers track your every purchase so they can email and mail you ads, use that system to your advantage.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
How is rune factory 5?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

thehoodie posted:

How is rune factory 5?

i'll second this, a jrpg with farming sim elements sounds like my kind of poo poo, but it's also $60

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

thehoodie posted:

How is rune factory 5?

Performance is bad, gameplay is great. Personally I think Rune Factory is the best of all the harvest moon/stardew valley type games, it has tons of mechanics and is really good about letting you engage with them as much or as little as you like.

If you’ve never played Rune Factory 4, I think it’s probably the better of the two overall (with the one notable exception of gay marriage - RF4 lets you sort of pretend to be gay married, RF5 just has full fledged gay marriage). If you have, 5 is basically just more of the same with a different cast and some minor gameplay tweaks, which is all it needs to still be one of the best in the genre.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is a longshot, but if you ever used your Switch with the Parental Permissions app on your phone, the serial number is found there

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1526427445838028801?s=21&t=SFQ5QVqrn15-Nz_iP4A18A

Everyone drop whatever you’re doing and go buy this immediately

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Did

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Seriously do. Once I learned to stop being afraid and love seeing my friends die I had a blast.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Any goon takes on a good 3rd party dock?

I'd like to have my switch available in 2 separate rooms, but there seems be a lot of variety out there and wondered if anybody has any good experiences.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

https://skullnco.com/products/jumpgate-for-nintendo-switch

i use this and i really like it. small and unobtrusive.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

An Actual Princess posted:

https://skullnco.com/products/jumpgate-for-nintendo-switch

i use this and i really like it. small and unobtrusive.

I'll second this. Takes up very little space and works like a champ.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Long shot but did anyone buy Let's Get Fit? Any good? I don't think it's available in the US for some reason so there are zero reviews.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Concept for a follow-up to Switch, add a pen

• Make it 'creator' focused, launch it with like a Mario Paint or some sort of creator studio. Restore Flipnote Studio
• Do a DS/Wii U renaissance where they bring back Canvas Curse, Professor Layton, Mario DK Mini-Marios Super Mario Maker 3
• Make these control options available to devs who release their strategy/city building games on Switch. It could simulate a mouse cursor in some cases

Aside from that, just keep the rest of the Switch mostly the same from a design perspective. Everything from the last generation stays compatible, no reason to reset NSO, or your Splatoon or Animal Crossing, it all just works

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know about any report, really. The insurance company came by pretty quickly, before the house even collapsed, actually. The investigation I think is maybe being done by them, so they can get that info directly.

And the funny thing is having 2FA is what hosed me over, if I didn't have 2FA on my Nintendo account I could just log in on this computer and change the email on Nintendo's site. :v: But since I do have 2FA it wants a Google Authenticator code, which I can't get. I mean, I'm not saying don't turn on 2FA, since that puts you at risk, but honestly I kind of wish I hadn't turned it on, because then I wouldn't be in this situation.

Try calling them up and asking them to disable the TFA. I did that when the Google Authenticator just straight up wouldn't work for me when I got a new phone, and I got paranoid that I'd burn through all the "you only get this many backup codes ever, srsly guys" that way.

I forget what all information they had me provide but they asked me things like "What is your most-played game on Switch" and stuff like that. It's worth a shot.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Spellman posted:

Concept for a follow-up to Switch, add a pen

• Make it 'creator' focused, launch it with like a Mario Paint or some sort of creator studio. Restore Flipnote Studio
• Do a DS/Wii U renaissance where they bring back Canvas Curse, Professor Layton, Mario DK Mini-Marios Super Mario Maker 3
• Make these control options available to devs who release their strategy/city building games on Switch. It could simulate a mouse cursor in some cases

Aside from that, just keep the rest of the Switch mostly the same from a design perspective. Everything from the last generation stays compatible, no reason to reset NSO, or your Splatoon or Animal Crossing, it all just works

perhaps they should make a switch pro

Spellman
May 31, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

perhaps they should make a switch pro

If only

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1526250094005207041?t=JUitSyQUcJS5c5wmY2G9JQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Now that there’s competition making knock off giant Switch handhelds I’m betting they’re going to go back to their handheld being very portable. They might try to bring back the clamshell design.