Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

ELTON JOHN posted:

take care of the animals that exist (there are plenty to go around)

for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Bdiosphere

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
[biosphere collapse] we can't even do long thread titles like this and you think we can reverse the collapse? lol. lmao.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

must kiss

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Shear Modulus posted:

extinction rebellion, lol

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-17/australian-researchers-show-solar-power-can-be-generated-at-nigh/101070388

ABC posted:

It may sound like a contradiction in terms, but Australian researchers have made a major breakthrough in "night-time solar" technology.

In what they claim is a world first, a team of researchers from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) has demonstrated that solar power can be generated at night.

"In a sense, we've only been dealing with half of the opportunity, when we use photovoltaic solar cells to collect sunlight [during the day]," project leader Associate Professor Ned Ekins-Daukes tells ABC RN's Drive.

Associate Professor Ned Ekins-Daukes says the technology is in its early days, but could have a big impact in the years ahead.(Supplied)

So, what's behind this unlikely breakthrough?
The technology

After the sun sets and the day darkens, Professor Ekins-Daukes says the potential for solar energy well and truly remains.

"We get energy from the sun — it arrives, it warms up the Earth but then the Earth actually radiates the exact same amount of energy back out into space," he says.

"As the energy flows from the Earth's surface … [there is a] thermal emission out into the universe that we can tap."

Professor Ekins-Daukes and his team contend that if the flow of this radiant heat could be tapped by a power cell device and converted into electricity, there's "a large and unused spectrum of potential power to be exploited."

So, in a new study published in ACS Photonics, the team used a thermoradiative diode (a semiconductor sensor found in existing technologies like night-vision goggles) to capture photons leaving Earth along the infrared spectrum and converted them into electricity.

"What you're doing is interrupting that flow of radiant heat, which is released every night out into the universe anyway, and tapping off a little bit of electricity from that," Professor Ekins-Daukes says.

He says what's "really exciting" is the technology "allows us to generate electricity at night, just from the cold night sky."
What does it mean?

Australia is one of the world's biggest adopters of rooftop solar. Since 2001, the number of customers with solar panels has ballooned to more than 3 million. And in 2021, there was a record uptake of more than 3,000MW of rooftop solar installed by Australian householders.

Professor Ekins-Daukes stresses this new "night-time solar" technology is still very much in its early days.

"We've just demonstrated that this is possible … Right now, the device we've made is relatively low power. [But] this is to be expected when you're at the very early stages," he says.

The amount of energy produced was only extremely small — roughly equivalent to 1/100,000th of a solar powered cell.

But the team argues that it is the "proof of concept that is big."

"The question here for the thermoradiative diode is how can we get from this scientific demonstration, through to scaling the manufacturing to a level where we could get the cost down. And that really depends on how engaged industry can be," Professor Ekins-Daukes says.

"It will take some time … And I have to be honest, we need to find some new materials to achieve [widespread use]."

But he says, in the future it may be possible to combine photovoltaic devices, or the solar panels widely in use today, and the thermoradiative diode for "night-time solar" power.

"You could have a panel that generates power during the day, but then could also power the other items that are still running in your house at night."

lol this is the biggest load of poo poo since the icelandic cc plant.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If we capture energy that is radiating from earth, won't that just add to warming?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

molten salt solar power is already a 24-hour power generation tech but also lmao:

Harold Fjord posted:

If we capture energy that is radiating from earth, won't that just add to warming?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah it's the opposite of what we need, which is a heat pump sending some of the excess heat back into space

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just use captured energy to power a giant AC, to cool the planet!

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Shear Modulus posted:

if someone wants to come up with a solution your limit is as many characters are in the current title plus one
Remove the first [ . It's unnecessary and just increases the carbon footprint of jeffery and everyone who reads c-spam (including you know who). Using less text in every title will help save the environment.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HiHo ChiRho posted:

But bustin makes me feel so good :(

com bustin'

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
my gf asked me to take showers more frequently, and I told her I don't really care about rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Time to sever goons?

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Raine posted:

lotta morelists itt

shameful

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ELTON JOHN posted:

it isnt too complicated. take care of the animals that exist (there are plenty to go around) while not creating demand for new ones to be bred

I've been told that this is antinatalism.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Goons may be largely large and very dirty but even then I doubt that your showers will make a noticeable dent

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

T-Paine posted:

my gf asked me to take showers more frequently, and I told her I don't really care about rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Time to sever goons?

It's spelled shower, but yes. Don't know how you made that typo when you spelled it right earlier in your post

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Oxxidation posted:

An apocalypse does not end so much as uncover. It's an epistemic revelation, a disclosure of secrets, a divine correction manifested in the world. It shocks us into submission, and from here we see how the world as we've imagined it falls away. The end of the world is no more than the end of the world's conforming to our cognizance of it. The apocalypse is the truth in a place that's systemically allergic to the stuff.
the truth shines like a diamond

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Samuel Glompers posted:

quote:

“Glaciers were very, very white back then. And they’re not like that now.”
nonsense. glaciers have always been purple and black

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I like it!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

nonsense. glaciers have always been purple and black

glaciers looking like

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

wow fuckin doomers in here

first you say we're running out of water and then when God melts ice caps for you to drink you complain

pathetic

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I just keep hearing that we're going to run out of coffee, but it certainly looks like we could probably grow coffee in canada pretty soon based on the articles linked here. I don't even care, as long as we don't run out of Rockstar Recovery.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Twigand Berries posted:

I just keep hearing that we're going to run out of coffee, but it certainly looks like we could probably grow coffee in canada pretty soon based on the articles linked here. I don't even care, as long as we don't run out of Rockstar Recovery.

if I can't slam 300 mg of caffeine into my body every 4 hours I will simply die, this is healthy and sustainable.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

empty whippet box posted:

if I can't slam 300 mg of caffeine into my body every 4 hours I will simply die, this is healthy and sustainable.

My body is a temple balanced upon toothpicks and a central pillar consisting of the most enormous marijuana plant you have ever seen

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
E; wrong thread, sanity collapsing

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Twigand Berries posted:

My body is a temple balanced upon toothpicks and a central pillar consisting of the most enormous marijuana plant you have ever seen

my daily routine is and has been for quite a while to get up, walk to the corner store to get a 300 mg energy drink for work, and the second I'm off work I rip my bong hard enough to make my head spin. you could probably easily track this via my posts which are likely more frequent earlier in the day(because I'm loving JACKED and avoiding work) to less frequent and more chill in the evening (because I am so stoned I don't remember what thread I'm posting in)

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Car Hater posted:

E; wrong thread, sanity collapsing

it's the missing e! make it biosfer^. .^ colaps

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/ECOWARRIORSS/status/1526203708748574722

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

empty whippet box posted:

if I can't slam 11 million barrels of oil into my civilization every 4 hours I will simply die, this is healthy and sustainable.

- humanity

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lol "permian"

Where have I heard that before hmmm can't put my finger on it

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lol "permian"

Where have I heard that before hmmm can't put my finger on it

That's a little on the nose yeah

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Oh man I'm so glad I quit working in oil and gas I used to have to deal with these shitheads everyday. Sure my old chud colleagues are all ecstatic. loving bitch rear end COVID didn't even kill one of them afaik.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

quote:

if I can't slam 11 million barrels of oil into my civilization every 4 hours I will simply die, this is healthy and sustainable.
- humanity

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

pissinthewind posted:

It's ok they turned the superfund in Ruston into a fancy eating and waterfront walking and living if you want to pay top dollar to hang out there

quote:

In 1890 industrialist W.R. Rust established Tacoma Smelting & Refining Company and a company town for his employees, naming the place "Smelter".[5] On October 22, 1906, residents voted to change the name to Ruston, in honor of Mr. Rust.[6]

Vote

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Finally the government is doing something
https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1526618942348861440

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

IAMKOREA posted:

Why don't you just grow outside?

I do but I am supporting 4+ people plus whoever wants free weed and finds me, and I use enough myself that 2 mature plants at once off an outdoor grow doesn't remotely get through a year. I'm not defending this as not hedonistic, but, I also think given how much dispensary packaging I am displacing by giving poo poo away in re-used glass jars, plus the lovely footprint of commercial weed, not sure how bad to feel about it so I don't.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

no way. that would be the first one I've fallen for in like, years. gotta give props for that

the original post was from how are u in the bad thread

it's rare my addled brain remembers who vomited what but that one was something special

Fly Molo posted:

don’t worry the NSA is definitely archiving the entire forums in some database, we’re on so many watchlists

a believed goal of the Utah Datacenter construction was to be able to, at the time, archive five years of the internet, the whole thing (to the extent it routes through poo poo the MiC has compromised, which is most of it afaik) based on every tapped telco and sub-ocean fiber line. This was based on estimates of the total storage possible at the time, based on tech which existed at the time. The size of the internet has grown tremendously since then but storage tech has also gotten radically better

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 19:10 on May 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

kyojin posted:

Biosphailure
wrap it up biosphere-ailures (in plastic)

Funky See Funky Do posted:

"light libido problem"
[biosphere collapse] light libido problem, don't worry we're all gonna get hosed