Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anybody got one of those Backbone One game controller things and can recommend a case for the iPhone XS that should be compatible with it?

Something kind of grippy would be nice for the day to day use.

I would assume most that aren't super thick would work? The 13 Pro Max is the only iPhone that needs an adapter to fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I have a backbone and a very thin Spigen case and I still have to remove the case for it to fit right. Kinda annoying.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ah drat that’s a shame. The Spigen was the one I was eyeing up too!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If anyone wanted a decent controller for a reasonable price

This is a pretty good deal imo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115106987379

I’ve been using it for a while and it’s very comfortable

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

sleepwalkers posted:

I would assume most that aren't super thick would work? The 13 Pro Max is the only iPhone that needs an adapter to fit

Not trying to be ‘WELL ACHUALLY”, but the standard 13 Pro also needs the adaptor - the massive camera bulge is the culprit.

Source: waited for 6 weeks or so to get my adaptor so my 13 Pro worked correctly.

OP: I tried a couple of cases when I had my 11(which I think is the same form factor as the XS), and the Apple leather case worked, but barely. Being as thin as possible seems to be the key.

My 13 Pro has to be naked to fit the Backbone, there’s just not enough room.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 14, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I need to start monitoring my blood pressure. Any recommendations for an Health.app connected, arm cuff (not wrist) type blood pressure kit?

Withings, as long as your arm isn't too wide/fat(cuff is euro sized).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

Withings, as long as your arm isn't too wide/fat(cuff is euro sized).

Thanks for this. No one had responded for a couple days so I got the Withings this weekend which I'm happy with so far. Glad to see its recommended.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there any way to defeat the appleID check after wiping a device?

I have a drawer full of old phones I could redeploy at work but so many of them are locked to personal email/appleIDs of employees that have left.

I know you can get apple to do it with proof of purchase but these are all 6S/7s that were purchased long before I started here and the invoices we get even for the ones we buy now dont reference the serial numbers on the phones anyway (we keep better records/control now)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Laserface posted:

Is there any way to defeat the appleID check after wiping a device?

I have a drawer full of old phones I could redeploy at work but so many of them are locked to personal email/appleIDs of employees that have left.

I know you can get apple to do it with proof of purchase but these are all 6S/7s that were purchased long before I started here and the invoices we get even for the ones we buy now dont reference the serial numbers on the phones anyway (we keep better records/control now)

Probably not.

Not that it was your decision, but using personal Apple IDs on a work-managed device is a terrible idea for many reasons, but this is definitely up near the top of the list.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you have receipts you can bring them to the Apple store and they can remove the activation lock. Otherwise no. (E: I should have read your whole post before replying. Sorry, I need to get better about this…)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Probably not.

Not that it was your decision, but using personal Apple IDs on a work-managed device is a terrible idea for many reasons, but this is definitely up near the top of the list.

I tried to convince them to go proper MDM but sadly they wouldnt pay for it (we have Soti for our barcode scanners in the warehouse already but licensing fees) so I just started creating appleIDs with the serial number and generated passwords which has reduced missing/lost phones being given to employees kids/sold on facebook pretty dramatically.

means we can track the phones and remotely wipe them at least.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm not sure how big your outfit is, but if you're a Microsoft shop, look into MS Endpoint Manager since it may already be included in your subscription/licensing. It's not the best for Apple MDM but for iOS it should do fine.

Otherwise, paying for MDM is so worth it. Jamf Pro (this is what we use) is $40 a year per device to start. It will save you so much time and money in the long run since you won't have to replace these devices which are now effectively paperweights. No more juggling Apple IDs for all these devices. Need to deploy a new app? Takes less than 5 minutes to get the app from ASM and then deploy it via Jamf. New iOS/iPadOS devices can be literal zero touch deployments.

I don't know what kind of stuff you do, but having some sort of security poo poo on your mobile devices could be a legal/insurance/etc requirement as well.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 16, 2022

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

because we buy the cheapest iphones on the market at any given time (atm its either 2022 SEs or iphone 11, whatever is in stock) people get mad that they have to have a work phone AND their own personal phone (which is usually newer)

new hires always try and ask for a 'new' phone when we supply them with an SE because they figure we will provide a 13 and then they can use that as their phone, with their SIM, and then leave the work SIM in a drawer or whatever)

so people get salty that they have to carry 2 devices. as a result we are moving to a phone allowance model which is better IMO since we do get people who just dont like their phone so they keep dropping/losing it. our CFO 'lost' his iphone 12 a week after the 13 was released, to the surprise of no one. of course he was one of the few that the IT manager said could have his own appleID on the device so we couldnt track it :rolleyes:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Can't speak for everyone but I feel like it's freak poo poo to have your work phone be your personal phone also. I carry two iPhones (12 for work and my personal 13 Pro) and I just rather toss the 12 in a bag when I'm off the clock and ignore everyone.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I find it kind of amazing your work would provide you with a phone if ignoring it off-the-clock is an option. I took the SIM card out of my work phone and put it into my personal phone which hopefully accomplishes my goal of having free phone service without the company spying on me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

I find it kind of amazing your work would provide you with a phone if ignoring it off-the-clock is an option. I took the SIM card out of my work phone and put it into my personal phone which hopefully accomplishes my goal of having free phone service without the company spying on me.

Beats me, but they don't require me to be on call at all. It's only from 8-5 and even then most of the time the phone is on vibrate and I ignore most of the calls*

I work a helpdesk for a school and I need people to put in tickets not call me constantly.

*With the exception of the important folks who I need to answer to which are saved on the phone so I know who's calling.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Toe Rag posted:

I find it kind of amazing your work would provide you with a phone if ignoring it off-the-clock is an option.

My old work provided me with a phone mostly so I could stay in contact when travelling for work and because it made it easy to call clients on the other side of the planet when I had to. They never cared about off the clock stuff.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im not provided a work phone so I dont answer work calls outside of business hours, but I work an on-call roster which diverts to my phone on the days Im supposed to be available and thats fine.

Previously it was a separate iphone 6S we passed around the team but it was too annoying carrying a separate phone all the time when I went out. kind of look like someone with a mistress or a drug dealer.

In Australia at least people will get all mad about 'ah-ha! you expect me to answer work calls on my personal phone?! well you should pay for my phone then!' and then get mad when we say 'ok we arent paying for your iphone 12 at $90/mo so you can send a text once a month. you can have a beat to poo poo iphone 6 or a Nokia T-800. which would you rather carry?'

like my phone service is $40/mo for 50GB of data and unlimited calls and texts. I dont care that I have to be called/call people for work on my personal phone. it costs me nothing to do so. people just pull that poo poo to get out of work or try and milk a device out of us (and then get lovely when its not a brand new 13 pro max)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Absolutely the sheer bloody minded idiocy of people re using their phones drives me insane. We’ve moved to an app called workjam which is now our exclusive means of clocking on and off and checking your roster amongst other things and people went beserk over having to use it. The era of minimal data allowances and expensive mobile calls is long past in Australia at least - I get 100gb and unlimited calls and texts, and my 5g service is 10x faster than my home service, why do I care about sending work texts or using my phone to clock on?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Absolutely the sheer bloody minded idiocy of people re using their phones drives me insane. We’ve moved to an app called workjam which is now our exclusive means of clocking on and off and checking your roster amongst other things and people went beserk over having to use it. The era of minimal data allowances and expensive mobile calls is long past in Australia at least - I get 100gb and unlimited calls and texts, and my 5g service is 10x faster than my home service, why do I care about sending work texts or using my phone to clock on?

when COVID hit we had to get cleaners in every time the drivers sleeping quarters was used on site, and they requested we provide them with a mobile phone so we could contact them to come in and do the clean each time.

I asked the depot manager how we normally contact the cleaners and he gave me their mobile phone number, so I pointed out how loving stupid this was and he said 'well its not part of our agreement with them so we have to provide them with a phone to be reached on for this' :rolleyes:

I totally agree that if your job requires you to be reachable outside standard hours you should be compensated for that to some degree (derr, you can just claim it as a tax deductible, which most people do already - I do) but for the occasional work-day text or email or phone call you're right - people just do it to get lazy.

our Sys Admin also kicked up a stink about having to clock on via an app and report COVID RAT results via an app because he uses a Nokia 3310 re-issue. He raises a good point (what if someone does not actually have a smart phone?) but hes also doing it in the most annoying way possible - by actually being the one person in the 700+ user base that needs to be accomodated because he doesnt like smart phones.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It’s 2022; if you don’t have a smartphone that’s on you, and you should wear the consequences of you stubborn refusal to move with the times. It’s not like you need to spend a fortune; you can walk into Woolies and buy a $50 android phone if need be.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s 2022; if you don’t have a smartphone that’s on you, and you should wear the consequences of you stubborn refusal to move with the times. It’s not like you need to spend a fortune; you can walk into Woolies and buy a $50 android phone if need be.

Can does not mean should. I'd sooner have the Nokia tbh.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Laserface posted:

Can does not mean should. I'd sooner have the Nokia tbh.

Oh sure I’d loath using a cheap smartphone. But you need a smartphone in this day and age. Nokia makes some very good (by the standards of the segment) entry level android phones; and I always steer customers who want a cheapish handset towards them (the cheapest one is $149) than the $80/$99 Telstra/Optus house branded piece of crap or the $299 dollar Samsung piece of poo poo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You don't really need a smartphone and it should not be a requirement for things such as "go to work" or "exist in society.

They're just tiny computers. You can use a big computer at home. We did so for a long time before iPhone rocked the boat.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

While someone argued they didn’t need big computers because they had paper.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Laserface posted:

You don't really need a smartphone and it should not be a requirement for things such as "go to work" or "exist in society.

Smartphones are extremely helpful to have when traveling. But other than that, yeah, I'd agree with you--you really don't need a smartphone. A laptop computer + dumb cell phone perform most of the important functions of a smart phone in daily life.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Laserface posted:

They're just tiny computers. You can use a big computer at home. We did so for a long time before iPhone rocked the boat.

I mostly agree with this except for the fact that lots of the apps that run on our smartphones won’t run on our big computers. Yes, they technically could but for various reasons they usually don’t.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Evis posted:

I mostly agree with this except for the fact that lots of the apps that run on our smartphones won’t run on our big computers. Yes, they technically could but for various reasons they usually don’t.

most Apps are webkit/mobile friendly website layouts change my mind.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Laserface posted:

most Apps are webkit/mobile friendly website layouts change my mind.

Steve Jobs was right. App Store was a mistake.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got a work phone about a year ago, an iPhone XS which is somehow still the current standard issue. :what:

It's basically a fancy RSA token, but I also use it for zoom audio so I don't kill the battery on my personal phone. But that's about it. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would 100% take a beat to poo poo iPhone 6 to use for work over using my personal phone. No loving way am I allowing my work to be able to erase and confiscate my personal phones at any time. This isn't even a question.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I would 100% take a beat to poo poo iPhone 6 to use for work over using my personal phone. No loving way am I allowing my work to be able to erase and confiscate my personal phones at any time. This isn't even a question.

I don't have any apps on my phone from work, just numbers in my address book.

I agree though!

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

The Lord Bude posted:

Oh sure I’d loath using a cheap smartphone. But you need a smartphone in this day and age. Nokia makes some very good (by the standards of the segment) entry level android phones; and I always steer customers who want a cheapish handset towards them (the cheapest one is $149) than the $80/$99 Telstra/Optus house branded piece of crap or the $299 dollar Samsung piece of poo poo.

Up until this week you could tell them to get an iPod touch but RIP

iPad mini it is for these people!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just removed a speaker from an airtag, because what good is a bike tracker, if it starts howling as soon the accelerometer notices motion after not getting pinged for an hour or whatever triggers the antistalker mode, notifying the potential thief.

But anyhow, I bought them last month. I'm surprised there wasn't a hardware revision meanwhile to prevent this, or some tweak that allows the firmware check for the presence of the speaker and just disable itself altogether. Also, how easy it is to remove to begin with.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I just removed a speaker from an airtag, because what good is a bike tracker, if it starts howling as soon the accelerometer notices motion after not getting pinged for an hour or whatever triggers the antistalker mode, notifying the potential thief.

But anyhow, I bought them last month. I'm surprised there wasn't a hardware revision meanwhile to prevent this, or some tweak that allows the firmware check for the presence of the speaker and just disable itself altogether. Also, how easy it is to remove to begin with.

They're not anti-theft devices or a pet tracker, although people do use them that way. They were never marketed or made as such. They're designed for finding a lost set of keys, or if you misplaced a bag or wallet. They're not designed to be used as ant-theft devices.

They can unfortunately also can be used as stalking devices. I know they've been tweaking their behavior to discourage this but I don't know how effective it is.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Can you ping airtags from an Apple Watch like you can your phone to make it do a noise because I keep losing my wallet around the house and that would be loving tits

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Can you ping airtags from an Apple Watch like you can your phone to make it do a noise because I keep losing my wallet around the house and that would be loving tits

Yes.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sick I guess I need to buy some airtags

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FWIW, aren’t AirTags thick enough to be annoying in an average wallet? I thought they were like at least 3 credit cards thick. For a keychain fine but on a wallet it seems lame. Even the tile (RIP) slim version is still several credit cards thicc.

The functionality is great but the size and necessity of purchasing a secondary item to carry on keychain is keeping me from buying so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Inner Light posted:

FWIW, aren’t AirTags thick enough to be annoying in an average wallet? I thought they were like at least 3 credit cards thick. For a keychain fine but on a wallet it seems lame. Even the tile (RIP) slim version is still several credit cards thicc.

The functionality is great but the size and necessity of purchasing a secondary item to carry on keychain is keeping me from buying so far.

If you don't mind a George Costanza wallet, I guess it's fine. They do sell wallets that have cutouts for them.