Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Stereotype posted:

everything is terrible. deeply foundationally awful. everyone is miserable and a good half the nation believes that they will die young and impoverished and alone after toiling miserably for a few decades, while the other half froths with rage and fear at things they don't understand and have been tricked into believing are threats despite being purely fictional. the planet is dying and millions lay dead from a plague that we are deliberately ignoring and continues to get worse while rich out of touch senile geriatrics further cement a tyrannical oligarchy. the only response from democrats is to weep big soggy tears that a coal baron from the most backwards and stupid state that they agressively helped elect is keeping them from making anything better as the demented democratic president gleefully announces that we no longer help americans who are starving so that we can fight a proxy war with a nuclear power.

*eyes turning completely black*
had to have high, high hopes for a living
didn't know how but I always had a feeling
I was gonna be that one in a million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Stereotype posted:

everything is terrible. deeply foundationally awful. everyone is miserable and a good half the nation believes that they will die young and impoverished and alone after toiling miserably for a few decades, while the other half froths with rage and fear at things they don't understand and have been tricked into believing are threats despite being purely fictional. the planet is dying and millions lay dead from a plague that we are deliberately ignoring and continues to get worse while rich out of touch senile geriatrics further cement a tyrannical oligarchy. the only response from democrats is to weep big soggy tears that a coal baron from the most backwards and stupid state that they agressively helped elect is keeping them from making anything better as the demented democratic president gleefully announces that we no longer help americans who are starving so that we can fight a proxy war with a nuclear power.

an accurate post in every single way, and yet--somehow--it still feels too optimistic

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

cagliostr0 posted:

Somebody will try, Neil katyal will successfully argue a decision 6-3 that discovery and penalty for destroying evidence is a violation of a corporation's 4th and 5'th amendment rights, then the lawyer arguing on behalf of the dead babies gets life without parole after a private prosecutor gets them found guilty in front of a judge who is a large holder of poison baby formula stocks on the charge of spreading misinformation about the safety of baby formula.

that's because they go for small fines which get challenged, just revoke their ability to do business and they're gone, the shareholders or whoever is left over at the end of bankruptcy court can't take the federal government to court for damages. have the sec institute a requirement that corporations can be charged with securities fraud and public fraud

but on the other hand obviously they'd never do that because they have no interest in harming the business - even if the constitution said the president has the power to dissolve a business they still never would

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Stereotype posted:

Keep a good thought, friend. Maybe Putin will chuck a few nukes at us and free us from this ridiculous world.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Leftist memes be like

Stereotype posted:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Stereotype posted:

Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

holding a corporation to task for literally anything is illegal in the us now.
there are written and unwritten laws, but yes

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Stereotype posted:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all of this is true, but at least we get to see some bluecheck libs lose their poo poo when the dems get destroyed in the midterms. i can't escape, change anything, or convince myself that it'll be okay, but at least i can have some laughs.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Breakfast All Day posted:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1261004586359422979?s=20&t=-L_aRTjHZjb6ju5c_eBThg

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Stereotype posted:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I literally tear up every time that stupid loving song comes on the radio because of intrusive thoughts of that InternetHippo tweet of that loving dogshit song set against an infinite scroll of people tweeting about how they or their loved ones are being/have been social murdered by the US's deliberately dogshit healthcare system

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Stereotype posted:

lmao that owns

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

don't forget that abortion is going to be illegal almost everywhere and there's no baby formula, let alone maternity leave etc

america is full death drive now babbyy

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stereotype posted:

I don't know if it's true across the board but anecdotally the thing that's so tangible to me is that even where I work, in a blue collar job, the people aged 40-55 also see this. I can't count how many people I've been in conversations with about how bad things are who bring up "And we're the lucky ones, we have some wealth and while we don't have much we're so much further ahead than people in their their 20s and 30s who not only will never have what we do but have always known that everything is hopeless. They've literally never seen a future that isn't everything getting worse constantly without any chance of that ever changing."

It's so bleak but if it's that tangible to people more or less completely disconnected from politics then things must be particularly dire. I don't know what to even tell anyone young when they're talking about the situations they find themselves in with regards to the future because they seem to want to find hope that if the old moron next to them is more or less fine they will be because the opportunities I had simply do not exist for them. Any tolerable future simply does not lie in mainstream political action.

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

LastInLine posted:

It's so bleak but if it's that tangible to people more or less completely disconnected from politics then things must be particularly dire. I don't know what to even tell anyone young when they're talking about the situations they find themselves in with regards to the future because they seem to want to find hope that if the old moron next to them is more or less fine they will be because the opportunities I had simply do not exist for them. Any tolerable future simply does not lie in mainstream political action.

Seems to me like people are afraid to do anything about the problems with the world at large because of the potential impact on their material conditions, no matter how those material conditions happen to be. I'd place myself in this category. I sure am lovely at posting, and I have plenty of lovely opinions, but I won't be out at a protest, I have things to lose. What I think about is what it is going to take for society to reach the inflection point when there are more people with nothing to lose than something to lose.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Exodus1984 posted:

Seems to me like people are afraid to do anything about the problems with the world at large because of the potential impact on their material conditions, no matter how those material conditions happen to be. I'd place myself in this category. I sure am lovely at posting, and I have plenty of lovely opinions, but I won't be out at a protest, I have things to lose. What I think about is what it is going to take for society to reach the inflection point when there are more people with nothing to lose than something to lose.

Also the list of actual achievements of protesting is like 0 so I think a good portion of people just don't bother. It makes sense to risk something if in the end things end up better overall but lmao

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
Protesting is not how you get anything done, you need to actually organise and get your poo poo together and start doing real material poo poo.

The upper limits of what you can do with unorganized protesting is burning down a cop shop and shooting a couple black teenagers, it's not a path forward.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

comrade taylor greene

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/beardedcrank/st...ingawful.com%2F

click for a surprise!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
it's pretty funny how toothless the FDA is lol

I do regulatory stuff so I deal with boards and ministries of health all the time and like the amount of power even a country like Switzerland can wield against a pharma company in incredible.

like a company will say to the Swiss, "we're going to discontinue this drug is switzerland" and the ministry of health can just straight up say "lol no you're not"

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

spacemang_spliff posted:

I do regulatory stuff so I deal with boards and ministries of health all the time and like the amount of power even a country like Switzerland can wield against a pharma company in incredible.

like a company will say to the Swiss, "we're going to discontinue this drug is switzerland" and the ministry of health can just straight up say "lol no you're not"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

lmao that owns

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Stereotype posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lol

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

tired gay and dead posted:

Protesting is not how you get anything done, you need to actually organise and get your poo poo together and start doing real material poo poo.

The upper limits of what you can do with unorganized protesting is burning down a cop shop and shooting a couple black teenagers, it's not a path forward.

This is why the Canadian honkening being bashed by the left was so maddening. The lunatic right had accidentally ended up performing a general strike against the ruling elite and because instead of supporting class action people got mad about trumpers now it's effectively illegal to strike in Canada due to the laws they created to shut it down.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

cagliostr0 posted:

The lunatic right had accidentally ended up performing a general strike against the ruling elite

no they didn’t

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
Lol uhhh if you think that the truck dipshits were organized in any meaningful way then you've been had and are a total mark. They managed to go for as long as they did because the cops were on their side, they had no legitimate grievances and if they were leftists they would have been shut down and murdered a long time before they reached the capital.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

yeah remember when people blocked highways during blm. good way to get teargassed and a rubber bullet to the head or worse

if the canadian government then passed laws that made it even more impossible to strike, that was opportunism and not because the truckers were seriously challenging power

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

cagliostr0 posted:

This is why the Canadian honkening being bashed by the left was so maddening. The lunatic right had accidentally ended up performing a general strike against the ruling elite and because instead of supporting class action people got mad about trumpers now it's effectively illegal to strike in Canada due to the laws they created to shut it down.

As a Canadian leftist I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that letting right wing mobs take over cities with impunity is bad, actually.

Do the service workers getting spit on, assaulted and threatened daily not count as working class? What about all the people laid off because of the absolute failure of the state to provide security, do they count as working class? Do the people suffering from permanent hearing loss from 160db train horns blaring for 16 hours a day count as working class? Am I allowed to protest and demand my government protect me, or is freedom of speech only allowed for the right wing?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

THS2 posted:

if the canadian government then passed laws that made it even more impossible to strike, that was opportunism and not because the truckers were seriously challenging power

the truckers wanted to end even the meager protections from covid afforded to workers. if that counts as “challenging the ruling elite” then so does Elon Musk

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

spacemang_spliff posted:

The FDA is very powerful, they just don't use the power in a way that any decent human being would desire. It's the pinnacle of regulatory capture, every bureaucrat employed there is a past and future employee or board member of the industrial groups they're supposed to be regulating.

But they do regulate, their regulations just serves to set up at rigid, fragile, and highly profitable oligopoly for the 3-4 companies that control the entire drug or formula markets in the US all while they collude with each others to maximize prices.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

indigi posted:

the truckers wanted to end even the meager protections from covid afforded to workers. if that counts as “challenging the ruling elite” then so does Elon Musk

this is what his entire fanbase actually thinks yes

this is no more or less sad than the people who believe positive change will come from the democrats

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

wow, kids in cages? I didn't know that, I'm hearing this for the first time.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I always knew KHive was a tiny sliver of a sliver but lmao that they couldn't even nudge the net positive on their queen by one percentage point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

lol @ anyone thinking “the truckers” was any type of labour protest

and lol @ the democrats