Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Joe Fisto posted:

A not THE.

Btw I would love to see The Wizard and his homies on the big screen.

FF coming and everyone is all “Doom” and I just want The Wizard, Titania, a resurrected Klaw, and Paste Pot Pete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

STAC Goat posted:

FF coming and everyone is all “Doom” and I just want The Wizard, Titania, a resurrected Klaw, and Paste Pot Pete.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 mid credits scene is the Baxter Building floating in space

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Titania is in She-Hulk!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

2/4ths of the Frightful Four. I’m anticipating them like people are the Young Avengers.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Thanos: "I love the Infinity Gauntlet. It's so bad."

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like they need to make a good baseline movie first before they introduce Doom. He's the end credit tease.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My hope is still that he’s introduced gradually across the universe. Originally I was hoping he’d be introduced as a political rival to T’challa and scientific challenge to be the new Tony Stark. I think Doom is such a rich character between the politics, magic, and science that it does him a disservice to just squeeze an intro into FF movies. Make him a major MCU character and by proxy you make his main rivals major characters.

But I also keep thinking there’s a ton of room to introduce a lot of characters in the science department. Doom, Reed, Osborne. A more major role for Pym. Tony Stark is dead. You know the world is filled with hostile aliens. Everyone’s gonna be trying to design super suits and spaceships and weapons. They did that as a joke with Hammer and as a motivation for Mysterio but now do it for real with all these important characters. Make FF a team working on space travel. Make Osborne an Elon Musk type stealing/adapting Stark tech and trying to position himself as a replacement. Make Doom this brilliant man of mystery with his fingers in everything. You got a big universe so use it.

So far Phase 4 has been heavy on the magic and multiverse stuff but I’m looking at Armor Wars and Ironheart and maybe the BP/Wakanda stuff for this science stuff. Maybe even She Hulk. I hope we get one of Osborne or Doom out of them before the FF film happens.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It'll never happen both because of where we are in the MCU and just where I hold him in regard to other villains, but Doom could have easily been an ever present presence throughout the MCU. Trying to slot him in to such integration and importance will never work now. Best you can probably get away with is another universe of Doom crashing in with the incursions and tie him to Strange first then the F4.

Honestly, introducing the F4 proper with a multi-verse twist that also introduces the Ultimate F4 with Maker would probably end up working better.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly, introducing the F4 proper with a multi-verse twist

After What If, Loki, NWH, and MoM (and to a lesser extent WandaVision) I think it'd be a bigger twist if something wasn't related to the multiverse.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People seem to really over think the FF intro when it seems so natural to me. There’s brilliant scientific mind working on space travel, something the MCU world almost certainly has to have been ramping up even if it hasnt been talked about. A couple of spaceships landed on Earth during the Blip. Aliens are showing up left and right. Everyone is trying to build spaceships. Just make Reed one of them and then do the origin.

MCU also has touched on politics and the damage heroes did to a European country. So make Doom the leader of another country raising the same concerns of Sakovia in a post Endgame world that is probably more sympathetic to the need for heroes. Make him working on defenses. He’s basically nightmare Tony Stark. Armor suit and army of robots but with no one to keep him in check or question the ethics of it. I don’t see why he can’t be a major player. It won’t be the same as Stark because the world is bigger but he can absolutely be a villain who pops up in multiple stories and against multiple heroes always retreating to his sanctuary of money and diplomatic immunity. He’s bad guy Stark AND bad guy T’Challa. And maybe even bad guy Strange. Use that.

Make Doom and Reed old college roommates and peers just like originally. He was a brilliant prince educated at the best schools. He resented some half arrogant nerd who outdid him. Maybe he tries to buy Reeds tech now or something.

I dunno. It all seems easy without any time travel or multi dimensional stuff or whatever. MCU is here to stay. They’re playing the long game and FF is years away and like a dozen projects. Slow play it. Make it a big deal. All you gotta do is the same interconnected things you’re doing anyway.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
did anything ever come of those rumors about Black Panther 2 dealing with Latveria trying to muscle in on Wakanda or is that just something someone was speculating about with a presumptuous air of authority, on the internet?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There hasn't been much about Black Panther. I think the only thing that's leaked out so far that everyone agrees on is Namor is gonna be the villain.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Codependent Poster posted:

There hasn't been much about Black Panther. I think the only thing that's leaked out so far that everyone agrees on is Namor is gonna be the villain.
They figured out his rights issues?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

They figured out his rights issues?

I figure it's similar to what they do with Hulk.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
You know, it just occurred to me in the year of our lord 2022 that Batman Forever and Batman & Robin got the names backwards. Not only would it have made more sense in the obvious "The 3rd one introduces Robin and then Batman 4ever" way but kinda thematically too.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

They should've called the third film Batman & Robin and the next film Batman & Robins because Batman has two sidekicks in that one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

People seem to really over think the FF intro when it seems so natural to me. There’s brilliant scientific mind working on space travel, something the MCU world almost certainly has to have been ramping up even if it hasnt been talked about. A couple of spaceships landed on Earth during the Blip. Aliens are showing up left and right. Everyone is trying to build spaceships. Just make Reed one of them and then do the origin.

I think a lot of people are hung up on a few things. The three mainly being
  • The FF's origins are in the space race.
  • The FF are supposed to be Marvel's first family or whatever and we're too far into the MCU for them to be first of anything except for first of their power sets I guess.
  • Everyone wants another villain besides Doom and they want Doom to be some greater threat.
But like you said, those really aren't as big of problems as people seem to think. There's a space race more or less happening right now anyway (even if it is some awful billionaires), and there have been a couple of starships visiting Earth, you can just have Reed trying to make Earth's first spaceship that's capable of jumping to warp speed. And from there you keep everything the same, NASA (or whatever company he's working for) says no, he gets everyone together to test it anyway, radiation, boom. As for them coming into the MCU late... well people will just have to get over it, sometimes poo poo has to change for adaptation's sake. And even though it'd be nice to have a non-Doom villain as the start, if he turns out to be the big bad, it's not like Doom being the first villain precludes him from being a bigger threat later, after all Loki was the villain in Thor and Avengers 1.

It's not hard, but people are trying to make it because... I don't know, I guess everyone doesn't want a regular origin? The FF aren't like Batman though, it's not overplayed. The original Fox films are 15+ years old now (daily reminder that you're old and there's a whole generation now that probably hasn't even seen those movies because they're not popular) and Fant4stic or whatever is a 7 year old flop that most people don't even remember beyond it being bad.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The villain thing seems easy enough, they've taken plenty of low end villains and redone them well before, I mean they justade Harrow into a compelling bad guy and he was in like one issue. Or they go the route the rest of Disney has been and have it not even really have a villain, or something halfway like Mole Man where he provides some story but isn't a massive threat, and the main story is about the family dynamic.
I'd definitely like to see them skip past an origin though, we don't need to see Ben dealing with being a monster or Reed learning to put his family first etc, having them be multiversal travellers would be a good way to do that now that we've established things a bit more, and leading into Doom and something like Secret War lets them put the multiverse back into a bottle when it gets too out of hand

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I thing I posted it before but I'd love if the Doom origin movie was like, his life's story as presented by himself in the form of a stirring movie he's making a bunch of diplomatic guests sit through the premier of. Interspersed with what he's doing currently of course, then have the FF be imprisoned by him after crash landing in Latveria and powering the recent massive surge in scientific advancements the country has made recently as well. Or they could make that a Disney + thing maybe and then the actual movie is the real action possibly.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I still think the best Doom introduction would be adapting Triumph and Torment.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just put Doom in the movie as the villain. gently caress building up to the villain people actually want to see, just loving do it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just gonna go ahead and venture that if they're really planning secret wars already then Doom is gonna be sooner rather than later and it's not gonna be a slow drip

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm usually not a sticker for actual comics chronology, but I'd be kind of annoyed if they jumped straight to the 2015 version without touching on the 1984 version first, given that it's one of the cases of revisiting a concept that feels like it has some kind of actual sensible escalation and exciting escalation from one iteration to the next

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm usually not a sticker for actual comics chronology, but I'd be kind of annoyed if they jumped straight to the 2015 version without touching on the 1984 version first, given that it's one of the cases of revisiting a concept that feels like it has some kind of actual sensible escalation and exciting escalation from one iteration to the next

Do both, have an incursion happen but the result is the Beyonder comes up and makes everyone fight.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

Do both, have an incursion happen but the result is the Beyonder comes up and Spider-Man has to teach him how to poop

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I feel like doing the first Secret Wars these days would only come off as a way more cynical mish mash of the airport fight in Civil War.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If they do a Secret Wars, it's probably gonna be more like Hickman's. But that would be a good way to bring in the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Inhumans. Like how Miles was brought into the mainline comics, at the end some universes smoosh together and how we have everyone in one place with their established history.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

You know, it just occurred to me in the year of our lord 2022 that Batman Forever and Batman & Robin got the names backwards. Not only would it have made more sense in the obvious "The 3rd one introduces Robin and then Batman 4ever" way but kinda thematically too.

This has been bugging me for years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They're clearly building towards a Secret Wars but like all other MCU stuff it will resemble it in name only and that will be just fine. I think the MCU Secret Wars is much more likely to be headlined by Kang and Strange than Doom and Richards. I've said before they don't really have the luxury of building up 12 years worth of movies to do this one. They have a cast of a certain age and contracts that are no longer tying people down for a decade. So they need to do it while they can. It'll deal with the multiverse and a MCU version of incursions but I think any similarities to the actual storyline will just be thematic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Secret Wars is very likely where they're headed with the MCU, but there's no reason they have to do the 80s one rather than the Hickman one. Hickmans was way better because it was actually a story and not just to sell toys.

Thing is, all the elements that they can base it off are already there. You don't need 3 movies to set up Doom, or Kang. Maybe some of the esoteric parts of it can be skipped. We don't need to have Molecule Man being the energy source for battleworld, that can be anything, but the general idea is workable. Thing is they could include some stuff from Infinity War with the Magus and Doom and Kang teaming up against him, only to constantly betray each other.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just come back from watching Dr Strange 2, first film in the cinema since Endgame. For the most part I enjoyed it, Raimi has his mark all over it and I think that's to the films benefit. They really just let Wanda go off and it was pretty decent. I would have liked maybe a but more time in different universes but the budget can only go so high.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

twistedmentat posted:

Secret Wars is very likely where they're headed with the MCU, but there's no reason they have to do the 80s one rather than the Hickman one. Hickmans was way better because it was actually a story and not just to sell toys.

Thing is, all the elements that they can base it off are already there. You don't need 3 movies to set up Doom, or Kang. Maybe some of the esoteric parts of it can be skipped. We don't need to have Molecule Man being the energy source for battleworld, that can be anything, but the general idea is workable. Thing is they could include some stuff from Infinity War with the Magus and Doom and Kang teaming up against him, only to constantly betray each other.

You could definitely do another 2 parter thing like Infinity War/Endgame. Thanos and the stones were pretty minor parts of the earlier movies, and they could easily use Incursions as macguffins, or have Strange start showing up in stingers to recruit people

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, and making it a two parter would give Doom enough screen time to make sure Hickman's ending hits the way it should.

Introduce him in the FF movie as the villain that ends in a stalemate. Then do a movie about incursions ending with Doom rebuilding the universe and the back movie being battleworld ending in the renewal of the MCU.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
3 parter, new avengers, battleworld, secret wars

e: also a bunch of animated battleworld minis on d+ to really milk it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think Doom is going to be involved in Secret Wars much, if at all. I just feel like Kang is getting that role. I think anyone looking for it to be like the comics is setting themselves up for disappointment. It also doesn't need to be like the comics. The MCU and the comics are not the same. Very few of the movies resemble the comics except in a thematic sense. I mean we did Age of Ultron without time travel. We did Civil War without any kind of fuss over secret identities. We did the Infinity Gauntlet without the primary protagonist of the comic. People expecting Battlworld, Molecule Man, The Beyonders, The Ivory Kings, and all that are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I feel like doing the first Secret Wars these days would only come off as a way more cynical mish mash of the airport fight in Civil War.

Pretty much this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-O posted:

I don't think Doom is going to be involved in Secret Wars much, if at all. I just feel like Kang is getting that role. I think anyone looking for it to be like the comics is setting themselves up for disappointment. It also doesn't need to be like the comics. The MCU and the comics are not the same. Very few of the movies resemble the comics except in a thematic sense. I mean we did Age of Ultron without time travel. We did Civil War without any kind of fuss over secret identities. We did the Infinity Gauntlet without the primary protagonist of the comic. People expecting Battlworld, Molecule Man, The Beyonders, The Ivory Kings, and all that are just setting themselves up for disappointment.
I want my OG Beyonder in the bathrobe goddamn it!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I feel like we have a ways to go before we even reach Secret Wars. Like we'll get the Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers, the follow ups for Eternals and Shang-Chi, the Young Avengers, and then whatever Ant-Man and the Marvels builds up. Those all could eventually lead to Secret Wars, but all of the other stuff has to happen first.

I think it's more likely we get Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts vs. Young Avengers first before throwing that team into the Secret Wars stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sorry guys, Steve Englehart has assassinated Kevin Feige and taken over Marvel Stuidos. The next five phases are about Mantis and the Celestial Madonna Saga. Pom Klementieff and Tony Dalton have been signed to 20 film contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Sorry guys, Steve Englehart has assassinated Kevin Feige and taken over Marvel Stuidos.

That's bad.

X-O posted:

Pom Klementieff and Tony Dalton have been signed to 20 film contracts.

That's good.

But if it were true, Englehart wouldn't stop there, but would also somehow take over Warner and have Mantis in every DC cartoon, comic, and film too.