Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

impossiboobs posted:

How could I forget Dreamfall: Chapters. That whole city was a perfect beautiful cyberpunk nightmare.

My favorite thing so far is when you take a robot out for a test run: One of the tests is to fix a faulty wiring. There's a circuit map and various spark plugs. It really looks like a set up for a traditionally adventure game puzzle. Then you ask the robot to remove the faulty spark plug and he breaks it even more so that you have to leave before the cops arrive.
I also like how the characters talks about the choices you can make and why it would make sense for them to choose them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've decided to play Cyberpunk, now that the 1.5 patch has been released (and I got through Horizon and Elden Ring also). Discussions about mechanics and balance aside, I'm loving the game.

One of the things I really like about it is that it has a number of quests that have absolutely no combat or anything like that in them. They're just quests where you hang out with people, pay homage to friends, have a discussion about spirituality, that kind of stuff. They do such an incredible job of fleshing out characters and the world in a way that having them say some quips during combat or something could never pull off.

Speaking of the world, I can't imagine anyone arguing that Night City isn't one of the most-realized open-world setting ever made. I have such an incredible time just walking around aimlessly, checking out run-down alleys next to high-priced hotels, taking a shortcut through a park set up in the shadow of megabuildings, walking through a bustling market filled with food stalls, neon, and sound - there's so much detail packed into every inch of the place and I find it hard to tear myself away from it at the end of the night.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I've decided to play Cyberpunk, now that the 1.5 patch has been released (and I got through Horizon and Elden Ring also). Discussions about mechanics and balance aside, I'm loving the game.

One of the things I really like about it is that it has a number of quests that have absolutely no combat or anything like that in them. They're just quests where you hang out with people, pay homage to friends, have a discussion about spirituality, that kind of stuff. They do such an incredible job of fleshing out characters and the world in a way that having them say some quips during combat or something could never pull off.

Speaking of the world, I can't imagine anyone arguing that Night City isn't one of the most-realized open-world setting ever made. I have such an incredible time just walking around aimlessly, checking out run-down alleys next to high-priced hotels, taking a shortcut through a park set up in the shadow of megabuildings, walking through a bustling market filled with food stalls, neon, and sound - there's so much detail packed into every inch of the place and I find it hard to tear myself away from it at the end of the night.

Cyberpunk 2077 is one of my favorite games after the patch, it isn't even close. The characters and writing are so good. I love that they made your friends and/or partner just text and call you for no reason, just to say hey or chat.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I just wish that, in addition to all the other tech crammed in your head, they let you put a music player in there. If I could jam out to the loads of licensed radio tunes while walking around the dense downtown, snooping through trash and petting adorable goblin cats, it would be an all time chill-out game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's the only thing I don't like about CP77, it's an oherwise fantastic experience. It's full of noise and bright lights and garbage. I can almost smell Night City sometimes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Speaking of, I was playing it the other day and there's a quest that's basically a planning session in someone's apartment. At one point I noticed my shoes were off and I thought "drat, did they really code that V takes his shoes off for residential plot stuff?" I understand it's not universal, but it is in Canada, so it made sense to me.

Obviously what actually happened is that I had used the shoes I was wearing to craft better shoes, then forgot to equip them. Found out later when I was in a tank and realized I was still barefoot.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

Elder Lilies - the spirits you have equipped become corporeal after a while and hang around Lily:3

Also there's no fall damage of any kind, which is always welcome in a game - of any kind;)

The game's name is actually Ender Lilies - I don't know why I keep confusing it. However, two additional little things:
- you get traversal options by acquiring spirits - and in case of wall jumping/climbing, the spirit holds the MC while he's the one to actually claw into a wall:3
- there are spirits that run around (there's one for ground attacks and one using projectiles) who attack if there's an enemy nearby; what it means is that you can concievably just summon them and focus on dodging and they will slowly but surely defeat enemies by themselves. They're weaker than actively used spirits, but in exchange have much more charges of use, so it still ends up being more than a fair trade.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Some of the most fun I've had in Cyberpunk was getting the double jump mod and trying to get as high as I can. Scaling skyscrapers to admire the view from the top by leaping between balconies, vent openings and ledges is weirdly compelling. It is disappointing when you run into a surface with no collision detection though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Necrothatcher posted:

Some of the most fun I've had in Cyberpunk was getting the double jump mod and trying to get as high as I can. Scaling skyscrapers to admire the view from the top by leaping between balconies, vent openings and ledges is weirdly compelling. It is disappointing when you run into a surface with no collision detection though.

I almost wish you could get a Dishonored-style blink superpower, to really take advantage of the verticality. Double jump mod supremacy, btw

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The ceilings from Deus Ex: Human Revolution all belong in this thread. They made these incredible interior lighting designs that many players will never see because they don't look up:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
PYF Videogame Ceiling

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Philippe posted:

PYF Videogame Ceiling

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Wait so is cyberpunk good now for real

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it was always good

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Fagtastic posted:

Wait so is cyberpunk good now for real

Yeah! It always was, but now it's more polished and the bugs are largely gone. Also you can buy apartments.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Philippe posted:

Also you can buy apartments.

Ah, this would be the "fictional" part of fictional cyberpunk dystopia

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I bought and returned Cyberpunk a month after release so now I'm going to be debating buying it again while also staring at the new horizon game and elden ring

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

thecluckmeme posted:

I bought and returned Cyberpunk a month after release so now I'm going to be debating buying it again while also staring at the new horizon game and elden ring

I have horizon still sitting in shrink wrap and haven’t yet played it because of everyone saying how lovely it is in the other PYF thread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Forbidden West is fine, it has its problems to complain about there but it's still solid overall.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tunic does so much right that I think it's honestly a contender for best game of all time. It's not super impressive to look at but it executes everything it attempts flawlessly with a lot of clever qol touches

The very best of all of us that using consumables enough eventually makes them renewable. Finally a system that gets people (including hoarders like me) to use the items the game gives you

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Morpheus posted:

One of the things I really like about it is that it has a number of quests that have absolutely no combat or anything like that in them. They're just quests where you hang out with people, pay homage to friends, have a discussion about spirituality, that kind of stuff.

Yeah, I hated this. There were long stretches you'd go at times without killing anyone, just endless talking.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

thecluckmeme posted:

Elden Ring lives up to its hype so it stands out of that crowd.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

I have horizon still sitting in shrink wrap and haven’t yet played it because of everyone saying how lovely it is in the other PYF thread.

If you enjoyed Zero Dawn you'll enjoy Forbidden West. Like yeah, there's some stuff that'll annoy you at times but there's also stuff that you'll appreciate and I've found on the whole it balances out, probably even in favor of it being an improvement overal.

People go there specifically to air their frustrations which tend to be exaggerated because they're venting. The overwhelming majority of people complaining still play and enjoy the game, despite its flaws. Just like how in this thread we post about the things we love from games but that doesn't mean the game is flawless or that everyone will enjoy it.

Forbidden West is exactly what I wanted and expected from a sequel to Zero Dawn: more of the same gameplay with new areas and new robots, and it hasn't disappointed so far. My biggest annoyances are the things they didn't improve/fix even though I wanted/expected them to, but those things weren't a deal breaker for me in the original and aren't in the sequel either.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

AcidCat posted:

Yeah, I hated this. There were long stretches you'd go at times without killing anyone, just endless talking.

Long stretches without killing anyone? Well that won't do.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

AcidCat posted:

Weirdly aggro, but okay.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taeke posted:

If you enjoyed Zero Dawn you'll enjoy Forbidden West. Like yeah, there's some stuff that'll annoy you at times but there's also stuff that you'll appreciate and I've found on the whole it balances out, probably even in favor of it being an improvement overal.

People go there specifically to air their frustrations which tend to be exaggerated because they're venting. The overwhelming majority of people complaining still play and enjoy the game, despite its flaws. Just like how in this thread we post about the things we love from games but that doesn't mean the game is flawless or that everyone will enjoy it.

Forbidden West is exactly what I wanted and expected from a sequel to Zero Dawn: more of the same gameplay with new areas and new robots, and it hasn't disappointed so far. My biggest annoyances are the things they didn't improve/fix even though I wanted/expected them to, but those things weren't a deal breaker for me in the original and aren't in the sequel either.

Compared to Zero Dawn it's a real mixed bag overall. The new gameplay improvements are fantastic across the board but writing-wise it's a real letdown compared to the first game. The individual quests and chapter beats are fine (and there's some great bits like Las Vegas, but it's hampered by trying to cheat off Mass Effect's homework in more than a few ways design-wise without understanding why those elements worked there.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Yes, how dare a video game do something other than pres butan shoot mans.

Cyberpunk is great and it was great when it came out. Is it better now? By far. Nothing is perfect. Other studios spent all their dev time copy pasting dungeons so they could claim that their map is huge, CDPR spent their time creating bespoke side quests with full voice acting and unique animations. It's the first game that ever got me out of my "I'm gonna min max this game" minset and into role playing.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
My big issue with Cyberpunk is that it's a sandbox game when story-wise, it could not be further from being a sandbox game after the opening. It took me out of it super hard when I realized "There is literally no feasible way to justify not bee-lining every single main story quest as fast and as hard as possible with this plot" but it wants you to go gently caress around.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It really is as simple as if you liked ZD you will like FW

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Meh, unless I'm signing up for something like Life is Strange where the talking is the gameplay, I generally find game dialogue super overlong and tedious these days, with some rare exceptions. Elden Ring is much more my speed, barely any talking, the faintest hint of a story, just let me get out there and kill and loot and explore and level up.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
did cyberpunk patch out the transphobia

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

moonmazed posted:

did cyberpunk patch out the transphobia

No, but they at least kept the ability to do the most punk thing of all: cooperate with law enforcement by performing acts of violence on people with severe emotional trauma brought about by body dysphoria and the crushing despair of capitalist oppression! And they also kept the wholesome message that nobody who wants to destroy the system actually cares, they're all just obsessed with stroking their ego, and the coolest, wokest thing to do is to fight to maintain the ever-precious status quo!

Cyberpunk is a loving shitshow of a game with a shitshow of a narrative and I am genuinely embarrassed to have played it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Philippe posted:

Also you can buy apartments.

I hope V continues to leave their rent unpaid.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

No, but they at least kept the ability to do the most punk thing of all: cooperate with law enforcement by performing acts of violence on people with severe emotional trauma brought about by body dysphoria and the crushing despair of capitalist oppression!

if you’re talking about the cyberpsycho quests then that’s the exact opposite of what happens, you’re encouraged by your handler (who’s an ex-journalist, not a cop) to find these people and bring them down peacefully before the cops can fill them with holes, so that she can take them in for independent treatment and eventually conclude that “cyberpsychosis” is a convenient fiction used to cover up incidents triggered by faulty tech or capitalist immiseration

you stupid bastard

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that said, cyberpunk isn’t breaking any new ground and does have a remarkably light touch with cops considering its genre, but if you really want a game story that makes a mockery of capitalist critique, look at Forbidden West - which isn’t just much worse than Zero Dawn, but one of the the worst AAA games this year

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Oxxidation posted:

if you’re talking about the cyberpsycho quests then that’s the exact opposite of what happens, you’re encouraged by your handler (who’s an ex-journalist, not a cop) to find these people and bring them down peacefully before the cops can fill them with holes, so that she can take them in for independent treatment and eventually conclude that “cyberpsychosis” is a convenient fiction used to cover up incidents triggered by faulty tech or capitalist immiseration

you stupid bastard

That's not the specific thing I was referring to, but you're still wrong. Here's an entertaining and informative video explaining some of Cyberpunk's most egregious sins you most assuredly won't watch, you stupider bastard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_SzMP-V4mA

Oxxidation posted:

that said, cyberpunk isn’t breaking any new ground and does have a remarkably light touch with cops considering its genre, but if you really want a game story that makes a mockery of capitalist critique, look at Forbidden West - which isn’t just much worse than Zero Dawn, but one of the the worst AAA games this year

I've been meaning to play H:FW for a while, but while I really enjoyed the first one's gameplay and the broader themes of its narrative, the individual details were more often than not rather poorly handled. For a game that went so out of its way to put in racial and cultural diversity in its cast, it had some pretty crappy (though likely unintentional) messianic white savior undertones.

Screaming Idiot has a new favorite as of 19:32 on May 17, 2022

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Compared to Zero Dawn it's a real mixed bag overall. The new gameplay improvements are fantastic across the board but writing-wise it's a real letdown compared to the first game. The individual quests and chapter beats are fine (and there's some great bits like Las Vegas, but it's hampered by trying to cheat off Mass Effect's homework in more than a few ways design-wise without understanding why those elements worked there.

Mass Effect was too long ago for me to get what you're referencing, but aside from that I don't find the writing issues to be bad enough to drag the game down to a point where I'd write the game off. Like I said:

haveblue posted:

It really is as simple as if you liked ZD you will like FW

I also think that a big part the complaints about the writing is simply the fact that Zero Dawn was new and original, and they expect the same 'wow'-factor from Forbidden West even though it's just building on existing stuff, which is a let down for them, but it's unfair to expect a sequel to bring the same degree of innovation as the original.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

lmao your priorities are just all hosed up huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

That's not the specific thing I was referring to, but you're still wrong. Here's an entertaining and informative video explaining some of Cyberpunk's most egregious sins you most assuredly won't watch, you stupider bastard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_SzMP-V4mA

oh wow another 80 minute YouTube video, let me just drop that in the garbage can with all the others

when did it become chic to expect people to waste over an hour of their time suffering a third-party idiot’s opinions instead of just writing their own