Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

With all the discussion of tools for campaign maps and all, I was looking around at mapping tools and I ran across MapForge. It looks cool, but then I noticed there is a KS for a new tool for creating tiles. This might be of interest to y'all. Hope the crossposting from the crowdfunding thread is cool, but I'd love to see this campaign succeed.

Doctor Zero posted:

Ever wanted to make your own tile sets, but lack the talent or time? Ever wanted to make your own assets for VTTs? Ever wanted to get into the business of making low effort NFTs virtual assets and selling them for mad cash? Have too much money, and need to get rid of it?

Have I got the Kickstarter for you! The maker of MapForge is making a tool for easy creation of the tiles themselves. These would be cool for solo gaming too. It's currently square based, but I'm campaigning for an addition of hex tiles support as well.

Disclosure: I am a backer but have no stake in the campaign other than I want it to succeed, because I would love to have something like this. If you are at all interested, please check it out and consider backing!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlegrounds/tileforge-software-to-batch-generate-mapping-tiles/comments

E: ugh, crappy snipe. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This friday for anyone waiting to pick up Starforged.

Oh poo poo

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Runa posted:

Oh poo poo

Like the hounds, IT IS RELEASED!

https://www.ironswornrpg.com/product-ironsworn-starforged

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Still waiting on my physical copy :smugjones:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think I read that those are probably half a year away, unfortunately.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was digging through my closet for something and I found the first solo/coop board game I ever bought, DnD's Temple of Elemental Evil. I didn't really know what it was back then, just an interestingly heavy mystery box you could apparently use to play a game of DnD with yourself. I ended up shelving it because it was bullshit hard, but I think I'll try again. If it's as hard as I remember then maybe I can hack in some more 4th edition DnD to give myself more stuff, which is barely even cheating, I feel.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ragnar34 posted:

I was digging through my closet for something and I found the first solo/coop board game I ever bought, DnD's Temple of Elemental Evil. I didn't really know what it was back then, just an interestingly heavy mystery box you could apparently use to play a game of DnD with yourself. I ended up shelving it because it was bullshit hard, but I think I'll try again. If it's as hard as I remember then maybe I can hack in some more 4th edition DnD to give myself more stuff, which is barely even cheating, I feel.

I recently ordered a physical copy of Temple of Elemental Evil from drive through RPG (the actual module, not the old boardgame). I was planning to run it solo with a pregen party, rather than just read it. I was planning on putting it in my campaign world, and this should be more fun than just reading it for prep :v:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ragnar34 posted:

board game Temple of Elemental Evil

Man, this really makes me appreciate Jaws of the Lion. The Gloomhaven core mechanics were revolutionary, and JotL is GH minus chaff at a price comparable to the DnD board games. The comparison almost makes me wonder if they were made to be repetitive, simplistic and incomplete on purpose, so players would want to transition to Dungeons and Dragons proper. Or maybe this game is for people with an entry level standard of complexity (ie is sane).

It's not awful in a vacuum though, and it feels a little easy if anything.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 10, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Is there an Ironsworn thread in Trad Games? If not, would there be interest in one? I recently discovered IS and have been having a blast with my group doing IS/Delve.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Is there an Ironsworn thread in Trad Games? If not, would there be interest in one? I recently discovered IS and have been having a blast with my group doing IS/Delve.

There is a powered by the apocalypse thread. That might be your best bet for a decent discussion
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727833

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The scope of that thread is much broader than this one and it’s kinda dead. Terrible suggestion.

I’d be interested in an Ironsworn/Starforged thread for sure.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I'd be interested in a dedicated thread, too. I haven't had much time to play, but I bought Starforged as soon as it was up. Between both games there's a lot of potential.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I’ll make one! Give me an hour or three to write an OP. Longer if I struggle to think of a good thread title.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Oops! I went ahead and made one, sincere apologies for not seeing your post while I frantically put mine together.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No worries!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Strider Mode just got released for The One Ring. Digging into it, and Shawn did a great job adapting it for solo play from what I can see so far.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Itch.io is doing another TTRPG charity bundle,this time for Planned Parenthood and NNAF (National Network of Abortion Funds) lot of solo games in there.

https://itch.io/b/1375/ttrpgs-for-reproductive-rights

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Skwirl posted:

Itch.io is doing another TTRPG charity bundle,this time for Planned Parenthood and NNAF (National Network of Abortion Funds) lot of solo games in there.

Oh sweet, thanks!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Some cool stuff in there. "What Crooked Roots" has a few tasty encounters and happenings to unsettle players. There's a warning in the introduction that settings with detect/dispel magic, identify, true seeing, etc. might get less out of these, but if I think the setting would be enhanced by these themes then personally I might just cheat. Detect magic says there's no problems, dispel magic does nothing, true seeing turns you into a shrieking and writhing NPC for a couple rounds until you wake up with no magic sight and no memory of what you saw, and identify returns with results that amount to "mind your own business." It's a bit of a copout, but it also gives you ways to tell your players they don't and can't know everything, that the world is bigger than they are, and not everything can be taxonomized with a set of keywords and a list of powers. Sometimes a monster stat block should just be the word "RUN" written in teeth and dead bees.

Of course this isn't the supplement to use if you're playing something meant to be completely crunchy at all times. My interactions with the DnD 4e thread make me think this wouldn't work, for example. Read "What Crooked Roots" if you want to gently caress with your group.

e: Oh right, solo play. I think this can work, especially if you find ways to interact that the book doesn't cover.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 14, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Should also point out that it looks like most of this bundle seems to be not in previous bundles. I haven't checked exhaustively, because the money is for a good cause, but everything I click on only lists the current bundle, whereas previous bundles with repeats would list all the different bundles it was a part of.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Skwirl posted:

Should also point out that it looks like most of this bundle seems to be not in previous bundles. I haven't checked exhaustively, because the money is for a good cause, but everything I click on only lists the current bundle, whereas previous bundles with repeats would list all the different bundles it was a part of.

Yeah I'm pretty impressed, I don't even recognize most of the games and I've bought most of their bundles.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Devorum posted:

Strider Mode just got released for The One Ring. Digging into it, and Shawn did a great job adapting it for solo play from what I can see so far.

Is this gettable for people who didn't back the Kickstarter?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

If you like solo RPGs, I'm hosting a CYOA-style playthrough of Thousand Year Old Vampire, where other posters can choose the Prompts. You can find it here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654812&pagenumber=42#lastpost

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

This is amazing! Everyone should know this contains Goons in Toyland :v:
https://mr-ray.itch.io/goons-in-toyland

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Drone posted:

Is this gettable for people who didn't back the Kickstarter?

I thought it was, but looking at it...it might not be, yet.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Are there any good solo games out there about the development of a community or family over time? Essentially Centennial as a solo RPG is what I'm thinking here, or the solo version of The Quiet Year with more focus on specific people over generational time.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I've not played it, but Twilight Song maybe?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Kestral posted:

Are there any good solo games out there about the development of a community or family over time? Essentially Centennial as a solo RPG is what I'm thinking here, or the solo version of The Quiet Year with more focus on specific people over generational time.
  • Microscope Union, which is built on the original Microscope, is about following a family tree across time.
  • House of Reeds, which is about a house and the family/families who live there over time. No one player 'owns' any character (rules-as-written, anyway), so you could probably tweak it for solo play pretty easily.
  • this world is not yours is a 2-player game that's very similar to House of Reeds. One person plays a house and the other plays successive generations of people. You could probably play both roles yourself.
re: the Twilight Song suggestion above (thanks!), here's a playtest of Twilight Song back when it was more TQY-like (it's still pretty TQY-like but it drifted a bit after that test). The game's written to have everyone collectively playing a single character, so it should work fine played solo.

IME games tend to go for a couple generations on average. If you're playing solo you could also just pick whatever Interval you want instead of using the Interval-picking mechanic in the game, which is mainly there for group play (Intervals are the gaps of years/decades/generations between the parts of your story you actually play).

EDIT: There's also Parable of the Future, a permaculture/regenerative ecology-inspired game mixing TQY and Twilight Song, if you want an oracle/setting that's a bit closer to Centennial.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 22, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

I recently ordered a physical copy of Temple of Elemental Evil from drive through RPG (the actual module, not the old boardgame). I was planning to run it solo with a pregen party, rather than just read it. I was planning on putting it in my campaign world, and this should be more fun than just reading it for prep :v:

You might want to check out Scourge of the Slavelords and Queen of the Spiders if you can find them. You can run a "super-campaign" going from 1st level pissants dealing with that moathouse all the way up to fighting Lolth on her home plane.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Everyone posted:

You might want to check out Scourge of the Slavelords and Queen of the Spiders if you can find them. You can run a "super-campaign" going from 1st level pissants dealing with that moathouse all the way up to fighting Lolth on her home plane.

Ive actually been doing exaclty that! I have a hex map I've filled with dungeons from classic adventure modules, and every week the party goes off and raids a dungeon (there is a Dragonball hidden in dungeons around the world, it's pretty much a Dragonball season 1 campaign :v:). But between the weeks I am running three rival parties as solo games, who are also hunting for the dragonballs. I do it real time, so if there is a week between sessions the rival parties make a week of progress. I started everyone off with Village of Homlett combined with the DCC adventure Sailors on the Starless sea. They have defeated Ghost Tower of Inverness and a few Basic Fantasy dungeons so far.

Unfortunatly Queen of the Spiders is not available print on demand :( I have Scourage of the Slavelords and Dungeons of Dread though :twisted: I printed out Decent into the Depths of the Earth, Vault of the Drow, and Queen of the Demonweb Pits from pdf and put them all togeather in a binder. I am for sure putting a Dragonball in the underdark.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

Ive actually been doing exaclty that! I have a hex map I've filled with dungeons from classic adventure modules, and every week the party goes off and raids a dungeon (there is a Dragonball hidden in dungeons around the world, it's pretty much a Dragonball season 1 campaign :v:). But between the weeks I am running three rival parties as solo games, who are also hunting for the dragonballs. I do it real time, so if there is a week between sessions the rival parties make a week of progress. I started everyone off with Village of Homlett combined with the DCC adventure Sailors on the Starless sea. They have defeated Ghost Tower of Inverness and a few Basic Fantasy dungeons so far.

Unfortunatly Queen of the Spiders is not available print on demand :( I have Scourage of the Slavelords and Dungeons of Dread though :twisted: I printed out Decent into the Depths of the Earth, Vault of the Drow, and Queen of the Demonweb Pits from pdf and put them all togeather in a binder. I am for sure putting a Dragonball in the underdark.

What's the point of the Underdark if there aren't at least a few dragon testicles in it?

Now that would be a campaign. The party is hired by demented fantasy Bob Barker to spay/neuter the dragons to prevent overpopulation.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Been doing a bit more 5 Parsecs and still enjoying it, especially how codified everything is between missions. It feels much more like a game than a storytelling exercise and I feel like I haven't seen too much of that outside of things that hew closer to CYOAs or IF and such and I was wondering what other solo games people have experience with that are more of this type of thing. Something like Fabled Lands is I think too far in one direction, while Ironsworn too far in the other. Though, I do enjoy both of those as well.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Potsticker posted:

Been doing a bit more 5 Parsecs and still enjoying it, especially how codified everything is between missions. It feels much more like a game than a storytelling exercise and I feel like I haven't seen too much of that outside of things that hew closer to CYOAs or IF and such and I was wondering what other solo games people have experience with that are more of this type of thing. Something like Fabled Lands is I think too far in one direction, while Ironsworn too far in the other. Though, I do enjoy both of those as well.

One thing I really liked about Fabled Lands was the "your quest is to do whatever the gently caress you want whenever you choose to do it." I know some people were a little throw by that after a bunch of "You are Hero Protagonist. Your quest is to find the Macguffin of Macguffiny to save the village of Setting from the Dark Lord Plot."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Everyone posted:

One thing I really liked about Fabled Lands was the "your quest is to do whatever the gently caress you want whenever you choose to do it." I know some people were a little throw by that after a bunch of "You are Hero Protagonist. Your quest is to find the Macguffin of Macguffiny to save the village of Setting from the Dark Lord Plot."

Yeah, I really love the sort of open nature of Fabled Lands. As far as CYOA goes, it's on the top of my charts. I owned two of the books myself when I was younger and would trade/borrow a friend who had the third. If I was pick one thing in particular that impressed me was things that progressed without you doing anything (other than repeatedly visiting a location) like the town dealing with a civil war. And of course the keyword system that makes the entire thing work by having things you do in one book affect or carry over into others.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, I really love the sort of open nature of Fabled Lands. As far as CYOA goes, it's on the top of my charts. I owned two of the books myself when I was younger and would trade/borrow a friend who had the third. If I was pick one thing in particular that impressed me was things that progressed without you doing anything (other than repeatedly visiting a location) like the town dealing with a civil war. And of course the keyword system that makes the entire thing work by having things you do in one book affect or carry over into others.

The official CRPG adaptation just went 1.0 on Steam, btw. They're still adding book material, though, just got to Court of Hidden Faces.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Megazver posted:

The official CRPG adaptation just went 1.0 on Steam, btw. They're still adding book material, though, just got to Court of Hidden Faces.

How is that? I thought at first they were doing a straight electronic version of the books, but the screenshots look like it's almost an entirely new thing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Potsticker posted:

How is that? I thought at first they were doing a straight electronic version of the books, but the screenshots look like it's almost an entirely new thing.

The text bits are more or less the same. The combat system has been expanded to tactical fights on maps and there is proper UI for buying stuff and inventory, etc.

It's... okay. If you're already a fan, it's worth a look maybe. I bought it because I played through the Java version a long time ago for free and found it a faithful adapation and, thus, a little too old-school for my taste in 2022.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Potsticker posted:

One of the things that impressed me in Book 1 was that if you got involved in the civil war you could choose who to support, the general or the would-be king. While there are consequences to that choice (showing up in certain locations afterwards could potentially get you killed), there are no punishments that some books use to enforce their morality. Also, getting involved in the civil war is optional. It's the main plot of Book 1 but if you want your character to buy a ship, explore the coastal areas and gently caress around trading various goods, that's completely okay too.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

One issue with the computer game is that they haven't implemented book three, so you could find yourself in over your head a bit quicker than expected if you go north too early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I did not read through all 15 pages of this thread, but has anyone mentioned Tunnels & Trolls yet?

My first introduction to pen and paper RPGs was finding my dad’s Tunnels & Trolls modules from the late 70s when I was around 8 years old (way back in 1984).

I have interviewed the guys Flying Buffalo Games before when I used to run a trad games website a couple of times, so every year at GenCon I always stop in to their booth and hang out with them for awhile.

A few years ago they kickstarted a re-publish of a lot of the Tunnels & Trolls back catalog in the form of Deluxe Tunnels & Trolls, and I beta tested a iOS version of DT&T around 2018; however, I have no idea if the app was ever published.

The cool thing about DT&T os that it can be run either as a traditional multiplayer game system, or just used to run the Tunnels & Trolls solo play modules.

The game was super fun for me as a kid; however, it has a real old school (and extremely fatal) feel too it, so it is not my ‘go to’ for running games for people, and I’m not really into solo play anymore.

When I saw this thread though and scrolled through the first 5 pages or so without seeing it mentioned, I thought it might be worth pointing out this game to my fellow goons.