Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Panfilo posted:

I mean, "Let's go Brandon" is rather pathetically coy so being transparent in their contempt is a step up.

How would that chud even know what media you let your kid watch? I think you did pretty well, it's crucial to stay calm and not let them escalate things since it just makes it easier to justify any kind of violence they were looking to cause all along. But I also know that can be really hard because I know if it were me my adrenaline would be racing and it would be hard not to let my voice waver or get strained.

But the calmer you are the stupider you make them look, and it can help keep you calm when they are acting so over the top it starts to look funny and you are trying not to laugh at their reaction.

I was calm the whole time and knew perfectly well what I was walking into. My point kind of is that it didn't matter what I said, how polite I said it or how much I focused on a sense of common decency (hey, guys there's small kids out here and we're all just trying to have a nice day at the the beach) that none of it would work.

My kid was swimming in the ocean and when he was done I even half joked with him "hey, you want to go watch daddy get his rear end kicked?" I'm going to ask these gentlemen about the explicit language on the giant gently caress flag and see what they say. It didn't happen and, more to the point, I was trying to teach him a subtle lesson about how you don't have to be afraid of bullies but I WAS walking a fine line and I knew it. I provoked them without provoking them, if that makes any sense, but they WANTED to be provoked. There were two dudes; one ready to jump into a fight and another not so much. I didn't push up on anyone, which they seemed to want and didn't give them the satisfaction but I doubt they took anything away from the exchange beyond a "did you see that liberal human being?" at the dinner table conversation probably happening right now.

It blew over pretty quick, believe it or not, and when we walked back to the car, I asked my son if he noticed how quickly these people wanted to get into a fight and pointed it out as a way you don't want to be. I knew that they wanted people like me to react to them and come up starting poo poo, which I KIND of did but not really.

Sometimes I get tired of having to be the bigger person and mind my manners all the time, I'll be honest, but simply not being scared is surprisingly effective.

These people are the ones always pretending to be monitoring morality and decency - or at least say they are - so let's fly the F WORD flag on a public beach full of young kids, right? To be honest, I don't care much and my kid hears me say that word every other day so whatever but I'm not the member of the political party that says curse words are bad and make Jesus cry and poo poo either. It was telling that this dude immediately jumped in about music with dirty words and bad movies or whatever he was on about because me and my son's mom are one of the few parents we know who actually take the time to monitor what our boy watches and listens to.

It was wild. Wish I'd recorded it but that might have escalated things in and of itself. I wasn;t looking for trouble but I kind of was a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You can’t reason with those people, I wouldn’t even bother.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

These people are the ones always pretending to be monitoring morality and decency - or at least say they are - so let's fly the F WORD flag on a public beach full of young kids, right? To be honest, I don't care much and my kid hears me say that word every other day so whatever but I'm not the member of the political party that says curse words are bad and make Jesus cry and poo poo either. It was telling that this dude immediately jumped in about music with dirty words and bad movies or whatever he was on about because me and my son's mom are one of the few parents we know who actually take the time to monitor what our boy watches and listens to.

It does kind of boggle my mind how the GOP has completely abandoned any pretense to virtue. I guess it became inevitable after they hitched themselves to Trump, but still, when I see chuds mocking people for "virtue signaling" I remember when Republicans called themselves the Moral Majority. Degenerate gambler Bill Bennett wrote a whole book about virtue!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

You can’t reason with those people, I wouldn’t even bother.

Yeah, I know. I wasn't even trying to reason with them so much as testing their humanity and, for whatever reason, decided I could be passive aggressively brave. You don't put a big 4 x 8 foot flag that says gently caress ______ on it and not expect a response. So I gave them one, wrapped in a Ned Flanders act that pretended to be put off by foul language. And I think I got away with it for that reason. For all they knew, I was just some "please think of the children" type that hates Biden and that's how I played it.

I wasn't even defending Biden or coming at them that way, because I actually agree with them and gently caress him indeed, so much as I was testing their sense of basic decency and seeing if there was any sense of a common ground at all. There's not and it was just pure anger all the way down. I dunno. In an odd way, I found it entertaining and semi patted myself on the back for loving with them.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
stdh.txt

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:emo:

Whose rereg are you?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Weatherman posted:

:emo:

Whose rereg are you?

your mom's, sad to inform you she got permaed for homegrown

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Zombie Dachshund posted:

It does kind of boggle my mind how the GOP has completely abandoned any pretense to virtue. I guess it became inevitable after they hitched themselves to Trump, but still, when I see chuds mocking people for "virtue signaling" I remember when Republicans called themselves the Moral Majority. Degenerate gambler Bill Bennett wrote a whole book about virtue!

I thought that's why they latched on to the "groomer" thing so much. Molesting children is Bad, so if I scream about how Bad it is and how the other side are Bad because they want to molest children because the only reason people would tell people how many lady dicks they want to stuff up their buttgina is because they are child molesters and thus Bad. Vs me, who isn't trying to corrupt children because I am not Bad. Therefore I am Good by pointing out the Groomers.

And any kind of hair splitting about any of it just gets shouted down as "that's just something a groomer would say"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zombie Dachshund posted:

They didn't abandon it, they just drastically altered their definition of it. As long as they aren't the other guys, anything they do will, by default, be moral and virtuous and good.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

I mean if they were going to make it all up they wouldn't have made them self out to be a milquetoast Ned Flanders in the process (no offense BiggerBoat). If I was going to STDH that kind of story I probably would have had some schadenfreude play out on the rednecks like a rogue wave suddenly swallowed up their truck, flag and all or something.

BiggerBoat posted:

I was calm the whole time and knew perfectly well what I was walking into. My point kind of is that it didn't matter what I said, how polite I said it or how much I focused on a sense of common decency (hey, guys there's small kids out here and we're all just trying to have a nice day at the the beach) that none of it would work.

My kid was swimming in the ocean and when he was done I even half joked with him "hey, you want to go watch daddy get his rear end kicked?" I'm going to ask these gentlemen about the explicit language on the giant gently caress flag and see what they say. It didn't happen and, more to the point, I was trying to teach him a subtle lesson about how you don't have to be afraid of bullies but I WAS walking a fine line and I knew it. I provoked them without provoking them, if that makes any sense, but they WANTED to be provoked. There were two dudes; one ready to jump into a fight and another not so much. I didn't push up on anyone, which they seemed to want and didn't give them the satisfaction but I doubt they took anything away from the exchange beyond a "did you see that liberal human being?" at the dinner table conversation probably happening right now.

It blew over pretty quick, believe it or not, and when we walked back to the car, I asked my son if he noticed how quickly these people wanted to get into a fight and pointed it out as a way you don't want to be. I knew that they wanted people like me to react to them and come up starting poo poo, which I KIND of did but not really.

Sometimes I get tired of having to be the bigger person and mind my manners all the time, I'll be honest, but simply not being scared is surprisingly effective.

It was wild. Wish I'd recorded it but that might have escalated things in and of itself. I wasn;t looking for trouble but I kind of was a little bit.
The point of staying calm isn't so much to obtain a moral high ground that they'll concede because yeah that'll never happen. It's to maintain control on your end in not letting the other guy dictate the exchange. But when you're calm it shows that you aren't intimidated by the other person. A lot of dudebros think "not looking intimidated" is done by intimidating/threatening the other person harder. These chuds likely assumed this, perhaps hoping you'd act tough to try to save face in front of your son in which case they can then frame the exchange as you initiating violence on them and acting accordingly. But not playing into that robs them of that power in a way.

Agreed on the bolded part, which is why I can find it difficult to stay calm and cool in those situations. Because the point you are confronting them is the culmination of taking "the high road" a million times up to that incident. So it can be frustrating.

It's weird they'd comment on your media tastes. How would they know either way? And I bet they probably beat themselves off over the idea that some lib will cry seeing their flag and impotently try to remove it while they sigh and unsheath their hanzo .45

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Panfilo posted:

It's weird they'd comment on your media tastes. How would they know either way? And I bet they probably beat themselves off over the idea that some lib will cry seeing their flag and impotently try to remove it while they sigh and unsheath their hanzo .45

They didn't know anything about me except that I told them I didn't the flag was in good taste in a family setting and that I didn't like Biden. They'd probably been getting some blowback here and there throughout the day and by that point had a bit of a script. I guess.

LOL. Yeah, I get my kicks making up lengthy stories where I get to stand there and get yelled at. For some reason.

Nobody clapped or anything like that and I didn't have my katana so I didn't even get to sigh.

Why the hell would I just sit down and make up a story like that? Weirdo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love people who go around with basically the attitude "gently caress you" and flags and bumper stickers and poo poo that say "gently caress you" and then get increasingly mad throughout their lives that everyone reacts to them poorly

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I know. I wasn't even trying to reason with them so much as testing their humanity and, for whatever reason, decided I could be passive aggressively brave. You don't put a big 4 x 8 foot flag that says gently caress ______ on it and not expect a response. So I gave them one, wrapped in a Ned Flanders act that pretended to be put off by foul language. And I think I got away with it for that reason. For all they knew, I was just some "please think of the children" type that hates Biden and that's how I played it.

I wasn't even defending Biden or coming at them that way, because I actually agree with them and gently caress him indeed, so much as I was testing their sense of basic decency and seeing if there was any sense of a common ground at all. There's not and it was just pure anger all the way down. I dunno. In an odd way, I found it entertaining and semi patted myself on the back for loving with them.

Ironically yesterday I saw a guy with a let's go Brandon and buck fiden sticker on his car and I asked him if I could take a picture (he's a rep from a fencing company) and he smiled and asked if I enjoyed it and I told him the opposite "you're an adult, just say gently caress?" And he told me how there were kids around and he didn't want to say the bad words around them.
Completely opposite experience as yours

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

moonmazed posted:

your mom's, sad to inform you she got permaed for homegrown

I am glad to hear it. My mother deserves to be happy in this stage of her life.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

lol @ no new wars

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Parental rights is my favorite. What possible rights do parents not have in this nation other than the fact that you have to give your kid some food some times and you can't sell them for organs.

If we ever tried to pass a law to make blanket training illegal it'd probably be blocked.

If it's about your kid learning about gay people being real then just homeschool your kids; your family probably thinks women shouldn't work anyways.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Parental rights is my favorite. What possible rights do parents not have in this nation other than the fact that you have to give your kid some food some times and you can't sell them for organs.

If we ever tried to pass a law to make blanket training illegal it'd probably be blocked.

If it's about your kid learning about gay people being real then just homeschool your kids; your family probably thinks women shouldn't work anyways.

I think it's a reference to Desantis' Don't Say Gay bill.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Or that they have the right to not suffocate their poor children with masks.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Ultra MAGA"

Democrats have a talent for handing their opponents these terms that make them sound cooler than they have any right to be, or that they co-opt for their own benefit (see also: 'deplorables').

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"Ultra MAGA"

Democrats have a talent for handing their opponents these terms that make them sound cooler than they have any right to be, or that they co-opt for their own benefit (see also: 'deplorables').

It's even funnier because it's a result of the backfire from trying to No True Scotsmen the republicans for them.

Dems: "Well obviously not all republicans are racist misogynists who hate anybody darker than mayonnaise. That's just the Super Ultra Magas who are like that."

Republicans: "We are all Super Ultra Maga now."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trump is the platonic ideal of a Captain Planet villain lmao

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Leon Sumbitches posted:

lol @ no new wars

Especially after he tried to start at least two wars, and didn't actually end the one that was going on.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

It is, yes. Right wing media has been pushing the idea that the Don't Say Gay bill is about parents' rights for essentially the entire time it's been in the news. They say things like "If you're a leftist parent and you want to teach your kids how to have gay sex or mutilate their genitals then you still have that right, but most parents don't want their kids learning that, and this protects the rights of those parents to not have their children exposed to it."

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Shouldn't they be using five white kids, given their views?

E: vvvvvv :argh:

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 17, 2022

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Weatherman posted:

Shouldn't they be using five white kids, given their views?

Guess that just proves who the real racists are :smuggo:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The right loves "The Good Ones" since it gives cover to their white supremacy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*very non-racistly writes 'secure borders' on the African and 'lower crime' on the short Latin American kid*

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Guavanaut posted:

*very non-racistly writes 'secure borders' on the African and 'lower crime' on the short Latin American kid*

I'm genuinely a little surprised those weren't the other way around.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
But then you'd think "parental rights" would be on the blonde WASP instead of the token Asian

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Twelve by Pies posted:

The right loves "The Good Ones" since it gives cover to their white supremacy.

Reminds me of what I learned about Blaire White, who seems desperate to be the Right's personal toilet for all the poo poo she is willing to scarf down for them.

Apparently on Joe Rogan she said how she definitely knew she was trans since before she was 5. Then more recently she tweets in agreement about how kids couldn't possibly know they are trans :psyduck:.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trump is captain planet because he's always surrounded by children

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

D34THROW posted:

But then you'd think "parental rights" would be on the blonde WASP instead of the token Asian

Other than Heart and Earth, youre putting way to much thought/more than the dumb meme maker did.

Also shouldnt they complain about sjw white replacement since the whites are the team minority(i mean they do have plurality , also isnt Vind. from the USSR )

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

PhazonLink posted:

Other than Heart and Earth, youre putting way to much thought/more than the dumb meme maker did.

Also shouldnt they complain about sjw white replacement since the whites are the team minority(i mean they do have plurality , also isnt Vind. from the USSR )

Linka was 100% Soviet so she probably wouldn't even count as the proper kind of white. And Wheeler is a ginger, are gingers okay? At least he's American. None of the others would last in the MAGA cult

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Was Wheeler a protestant or evil papist?

I know they had an episode about the Irish Catholic VS Protestant conflict that also involved a suitcase nuke.

Yes a childrens Sat morning cartoon had a "very special episode" that was about Irish religion conflicts and a suitcase nuke. Time travel might also factor in.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

PhazonLink posted:

I know they had an episode about the Irish Catholic VS Protestant conflict that also involved a suitcase nuke.

Yes a childrens Sat morning cartoon had a "very special episode" that was about Irish religion conflicts and a suitcase nuke. Time travel might also factor in.

I mean, they also did an episode about AIDS, and one about a terrible hyper-capitalist future where the Planeteers are all jaded old folks and the corporations won.

Captain Planet gave 0 fucks, I miss it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Captain Planet gave 0 fucks, I miss it.

Same, even though it did approach things with powerful "science is bad, and systemic problems are your individual responsibility" energy at times.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PhazonLink posted:

I checked the Captain Planet wiki, and he's a Catholic. And his dad's an alcoholic who would make him go out and buy beer as a kid.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Of course he's a Catholic, there's some future episode where him and Linka have like 200 kids.

Don't remember the AIDS one but I remember one about overpopulation that was just Skaven from Warhammer basically.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
He will have a long and storied career as a judge on the SCOTUS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I wonder if there's a legal requirement that you must have a nickname in quotation marks to run for sheriff here in North Carolina, since I've been driving through Roxboro and seeing ads for H.R. "Bug" Long and Jason "Skeet" Wilbourne.