Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

is ur guy a furry lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dongicus posted:

is ur guy a furry lol

Big MT’s experiments went even crazier than we thought

oh god this was the explanation for the terrible poo poo in the Frontier wasn’t it

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Dongicus posted:

is ur guy a furry lol

Furries are cool now

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Furries are cool now

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dongicus posted:

is ur guy a furry lol

That's Vulpes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait Vulpes is an actually furry in those screenshots what the hell?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mods everyone in game to be furries

Doesn't go all the way and mod the Vault Boy karma icon into a furry

For shame.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
last time I installed a mod that turned legion into ponies, to give one more reason to shoot them

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Furries are cool now

na

lol

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

not the original modder but i updated "ultimate invisible wall remover" to remove two minor conflicts with yup and forward its fixes

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/76546

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

if u wanted to give me a sex pervert av u should have went the extra mile and added like 3 cspam gangtags to complete the look. s m h. real INT 1/10 hours

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Has anyone else tried this? https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/71852

This seems to be the rosetta stone for making the game's shooting feel kind of weighty, I really like it. Combined with the 'real recoil' mod in the VNV list (that actually climbs where you're aiming as opposed to just the viewmodel) it is perhaps a bit too much, especially since I plan on playing with a controller, so I've disabled the latter. Really impressive.

I also really like this weather mod combined with this reshade preset which are both recommended obliquely in the VNV guide but not actually on the list. I take the vanilla yellow-hazy-tint as the best way they had of conveying a desert with warm-ish light reflecting off the sand; a lot of the mods that remove that kind of look weird. They almost look like the complete absence of lighting you have while flying around in a game editor, because there's no real dynamic lighting to carry the weight aesthetically, and a lot of the assets seem to have been made with the vanilla tint in mind. The weather mod seems to remove just a little bit of that haze, and the reshade preset adds a bit of bloom and sharpening to tighten things up and make it look just a bit livelier..

And honestly, the cut-down VNV guide is right - I don't really miss texture mods. Beyond some true eyesores, I don't think there's anything super wrong with the game's textures as-is, and the stability/consistency advantages of running mostly vanilla can't be denied.

I also really appreciate that they've removed that BLEED mod in the process of cutting down the guide, and that they've made their 'overhaul' changes to the combat pretty modular. I haven't played nearly as much of this game as the VNV guys, and I certainly am not replaying it so it can be a Punishing Survival Simulator. It's a very fine line between tightening the combat up, which it does kind of need, and ratcheting up the punishment too far. The level design in this game, the timings of a lot of things, and the general floatiness of a lot of the movement and combat mechanics (characters skittering all over the place and changing direction randomly, the weird input lag that keyboard and mouse input has always suffered from etc) means that you can only ratchet things up so much before it just becomes unsuited to this type of game imo. Better to rebalance the items or economy probably, since you have a lot more leeway there. I'm just looking for a Vanilla+ experience though, so I think justJSawyer ultimate is fine in that regard.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 17, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I enjoyed BLEED with TTW, but it’s probably out of place in guide like VNV. Also, it might make more sense in the more combat dense FO3.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I enjoyed BLEED with TTW, but it’s probably out of place in guide like VNV. Also, it might make more sense in the more combat dense FO3.

Probably helps with the issue of all the super mutants being giant demand sponges in TTW I’ll give you that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

incredibly needy supermutants

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

incredibly needy supermutants

i mean, wouldn’t you be?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

help the super mutants are unionizing

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I don't know if its bug with mods or the actual game but Veronica sometimes holsters her super sledge after swinging and its very annoying. She'll like swing and then holster and get stuck in that loop. She has no problems shooting her 10mm pistol. She's set on aggressive but the AI pathing seems to be very wonky.

I'm using the mods in the viva new vegas guide and nothing else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dongicus posted:

if u wanted to give me a sex pervert av u should have went the extra mile and added like 3 cspam gangtags to complete the look. s m h. real INT 1/10 hours

Hmm, how Epstein-brained are you? Are you the one who talks about MKULTRA and Operation Phoenix at family dinner? There's a minimum crank level needed for CSPAM.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Point Lookout for Fallout 4 is a neat idea, imagine if the New Vegas DLCs got this treatment. Collecting all the Big MT parts for your robot workbench, or conquering the Zion tribes with Nuka-World raiders.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Holy poo poo Vortex is loving abysmal. Slow as gently caress, keeps crashing on me, It's so slooooooooow, won't stop glitching out (It turns off my mods right after I turn them on???) and did I mention it's slow?

What's the mod organizer that the cool kids use these days? I've been away from the modding scene for a couple of years now

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 29, 2022

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Holy poo poo Vortex is loving abysmal. Slow as gently caress, keeps crashing on me, It's so slooooooooow, won't stop glitching out on me ( It turns off my mods right after turn them on???) and did I mention it's slow?

What's the mod organizer that the cool kids use these days? I've been away from the modding scene for a couple of years now

MO2. The Viva New Vegas guide is an easy way to set it and other baseline stuff up: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

mod organizer has been the only reasonable choice (with very few exceptions) for what? a decade at this point? you will need to learn the interface and how it works but that minimal initial investment will save you countless of hours of headache using any other mod manager

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

v1ld posted:

MO2. The Viva New Vegas guide is an easy way to set it and other baseline stuff up: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/

Thank you!

watho posted:

mod organizer has been the only reasonable choice (with very few exceptions) for what? a decade at this point? you will need to learn the interface and how it works but that minimal initial investment will save you countless of hours of headache using any other mod manager

I admit I was one of those maniacs who just did everything manually in the past, but yeah, I'll learn MO2. Thanks for the advice!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Never use Vortex. Maybe use that subscription thing if you have the luxury of cash. Definitely use MO2.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should change the thread title back to warn people not to use vortex.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Fallout Mod Manager is great if all you have are NVSE or .esp mods. It starts up about 10x faster than Mod Organizer. Of course, if you have some crazy install with a bunch of compatibility patches and custom assets then Mod Organizer really shines when it comes to keeping poo poo clean and stable.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Proletarian Mango posted:

Fallout Mod Manager is great if all you have are NVSE or .esp mods.
So, the most basic of basic mod lists, without any texture, mesh, or sound replacers.

I'll give you this, FOMM did indeed load up quickly when I still used it - probably because it's just a GUI for a text file. Somewhere on your system is "LoadOrder.txt" that determines which plugins get loaded, under which order. FOMM gives you a convenient way to edit the load order of all the mods you have installed.

Mods you had to install by hand into your data folder, because FOMM doesn't install anything for you. It doesn't uninstall anything for you. It doesn't do anything you couldn't actually do yourself with notepad - which you might as well since you are already doing everything else the hard way. FOMM calling itself a "mod manager" is a massive overstatement of what it actually does.

Now don't get me wrong, if you want "vanilla game but with YUP and jsawyer" then FOMM will do what you need just fine. If you want anything more than a "lightweight" mod install though, you are better off with anything else.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I know it's older and less popular but I have a bit of a hankering to go back to fallout 3 with some relatively light modding (my current pc is a bit of a potato)

Is there a simple guide just for a little sprucing up and maybe a little decent new content etc.?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hobo on Fire posted:

So, the most basic of basic mod lists, without any texture, mesh, or sound replacers.

I'll give you this, FOMM did indeed load up quickly when I still used it - probably because it's just a GUI for a text file. Somewhere on your system is "LoadOrder.txt" that determines which plugins get loaded, under which order. FOMM gives you a convenient way to edit the load order of all the mods you have installed.

Mods you had to install by hand into your data folder, because FOMM doesn't install anything for you. It doesn't uninstall anything for you. It doesn't do anything you couldn't actually do yourself with notepad - which you might as well since you are already doing everything else the hard way. FOMM calling itself a "mod manager" is a massive overstatement of what it actually does.

Now don't get me wrong, if you want "vanilla game but with YUP and jsawyer" then FOMM will do what you need just fine. If you want anything more than a "lightweight" mod install though, you are better off with anything else.

It actually does do install and Uninstalls it's just almost as obtuse as wrye bash about it. FOMM is where the FOMOD format came from.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NLJP posted:

I know it's older and less popular but I have a bit of a hankering to go back to fallout 3 with some relatively light modding (my current pc is a bit of a potato)

Is there a simple guide just for a little sprucing up and maybe a little decent new content etc.?

Tale of Two Wastelands is still probably the best way to play Fallout 3 since it can use the QOL changes from New Vegas when required. I think the Viva New Vegas modding guide also had a sister guide for TTW and Fallout 3 but I'm about a year off since my last playthrough so I'm hazy on updates.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Tale of Two Wastelands is still probably the best way to play Fallout 3 since it can use the QOL changes from New Vegas when required. I think the Viva New Vegas modding guide also had a sister guide for TTW and Fallout 3 but I'm about a year off since my last playthrough so I'm hazy on updates.

https://thebestoftimes.github.io/

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I can recommend https://wastelandsurvivalguide.com/ as a good solid base for setting up TTW. Mileage may vary when it comes to some of the balance mods (optional, thankfully) though - the Enclave showing up midway through FO3 and ended up being the tankiest enemies known to mankind.

Did introduce me to (Benny Humbles You) and Steals Your Stuff, aka as part of the transition to New Vegas, Benny yoinks all your stuff, and you can config it to reset your skills/levels etc.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

theres an alright remake of fallout 3 i played a few years ago i'd recommend but i'll need to remember the name of it

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

oh, yeah. fallout 4 :twisted:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
The only thing I really wanted from 4, and I do mean the ONLY thing, was a drivable motorcycle. Dual wielding woulda been nice, maybe the return of more unique guns from 2 like the Needler.

Instead: revamped power armor, more settlement building than anyone needs, and a weird crafting system that essentially means no guns are unique.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

they're remaking fallout 4 and they're calling it starfield

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Preston Garvey is also there, unchanged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Player, you must defeat the space raider leader! His space lair is in the space office building littered with thousands of copies of the Space Boston Bugle!