Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Biosphere prolapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Remember the Svalbard Global Seed Vault?

Great laughs in the faq

quote:

Why Svalbard? Svalbard was chosen for several reasons. Its cold climate and permafrost make the area a perfect location for underground cold storage. The surrounding sandstone is stable for building and is low in radiation. In terms of security, Svalbard scores high marks compared to the locations of many other genebanks in the world. The infrastructure is good, with daily flights and a reliable source of energy from local coal supplies. The vault is located an extraordinary 120 metres (393.7 feet) into the rock, ensuring that the vault rooms will remain naturally frozen even in the event of failure of the mechanical cooling system and rising external air temperatures due to climate change.

quote:

How will the seeds be stored? The seeds will be stored at minus 18 degrees Celsius (minus 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit). The seeds will be sealed in specially-designed four-ply foil packages that will be placed in sealed boxes and stored on shelves inside the vault. The low temperature and moisture level will ensure low metabolic activity, keeping the seeds viable for decades, centuries, or in some cases thousands of years. The permafrost will still ensure the continued viability of the seeds if the electricity supply should fail.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bedpan posted:

Great laughs in the faq

it’s cool bro they waterproofed it after it flooded in 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/25/newly-waterproofed-arctic-seed-vault-1m-samples-climate-change

now “the vault is secure for the future and “absolutely watertight”, according to officials.”

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Frac away the pain. Frac away the pain.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

bedpan posted:

Great laughs in the faq

Lmao

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

You know a guy named rust opening a smelter is a pretty good story

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Weird how this thing we buried in thr melting ice keeps flooding.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cabbages and Kings posted:

the original post was from how are u in the bad thread

it's rare my addled brain remembers who vomited what but that one was something special

a believed goal of the Utah Datacenter construction was to be able to, at the time, archive five years of the internet, the whole thing (to the extent it routes through poo poo the MiC has compromised, which is most of it afaik) based on every tapped telco and sub-ocean fiber line. This was based on estimates of the total storage possible at the time, based on tech which existed at the time. The size of the internet has grown tremendously since then but storage tech has also gotten radically better

lol if future squid/raven archeologists’ takeaway is “wow they really cared about preserving everything for us?? in multiple redundant bunkers? how considerate of them.”

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Weird how this thing we buried in thr melting ice keeps flooding.

it’s okay this time it’s definitely waterproof.

narrator voice: it was definitely not waterproof.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
:lol: https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/3483271-trillion-dollar-question-how-do-we-finance-climate-solutions/

quote:

According to a recent analysis by Goldman Sachs, we need to invest another $2.8 trillion per year in climate solutions in order to reach the world’s net-zero emissions goals.

So, what are the mechanisms to shift trillions of dollars into new climate investments? Goldman’s suggestions: “A global carbon price, continued focus on sustainability in the capital markets and improved emissions disclosures from consumer companies.”

These are good starting points, albeit not exhaustive. Let’s look at each of these areas a bit more closely, as well as a few other sustainable finance instruments.

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), the largest recipient of fossil fuel money in the Senate, continues to block a budget reconciliation bill that would invest $555 billion in clean energy. President Biden seems to have completely forgotten about his lofty climate agenda. And the Supreme Court appears poised to limit the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and other government agencies’ ability to regulate carbon.

On the bright side, the bipartisan infrastructure bill included $80 billion of clean energy and climate investments.

Perhaps the most promising government activity is coming from the Department of Energy loans office, famous for helping Tesla and other clean energy companies achieve scale. Last week, the agency announced it is providing loan guarantees of over $600 million for green hydrogen in Utah, and battery graphite production in Louisiana.

goes from there

dont worry everybody capital got this

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Don't worry, going vegetarian will fix everything.

quote:

https://twitter.com/_dmoser/status/1526462017040687104

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

this is why we need mass nuclear power. when it works? yay energy without fossil fuels. when it fucks up? welp, more natural paradises like chernobyl.

we need to irradiate ohio

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I mean there are crops in all three pictures. Just can't harvest it as easily with a massive combine. Forcing people to get out there with scythes would work though. Eco stalinism would fix everything, yes.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lol "permian"

Where have I heard that before hmmm can't put my finger on it

As above, so below.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

I mean there are crops in all three pictures. Just can't harvest it as easily with a massive combine. Forcing people to get out there with scythes would work though. Eco stalinism would fix everything, yes.

:hmmyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGNTYPmeLXk

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Minera posted:

we killed our only planet lol

this was our only chance, and we blew it. oops

Manned space exploration for the exploitation and colonization of space is the destiny and birthright of mankind. There has never been, to my recollection, any serious arguments put forward that the belief of "inevitable human progress" is "detached from reality"; and discussing such topics does not distract from "achievable space science" anymore than the chronic underfunding of such ventures already do. It's entirely misplaced contrarianism seeking a target. This thread has always been about being open to manned exploration and colonization; discussion of topics like the Fermi Paradox/Great Filter/Civilization Kardeschev Levels presuppose a certain inevitability of scientific and technological progress. It doesn't really make any sense to suggest we shouldn't discuss those things, and beyond tedious to have posters continuously poo poo on such aspirations and topics; especially when the arguments against are just really bad.

And I don't think it's particularly productive to assert without evidence that such aspirations have "classism/racism" baked in, that's assuming the conclusion. Perhaps there could be a hypothetical discussion about what the ethics of xenobiology and xenopology but it's ridiculous to suggest that it's "problematic" to be excited for the potential of human beings living on Mars or some other planet in some other star system when we have no evidence any other alien life exists.

It isn't a high ask, that if people want to have fun, then the discussion, if you have something you disagree with, should be constructive.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

if that's not a syqo post then godDAMN

mfer seriously believes people who are struggling to get fed today are going to be involved in going to space and or directly believes "gently caress those people" since we can't even agree on feeding them while not going to space for the last four decades

but yeah man we're going to get our poo poo together now, it's like coming up on the deadline for a term paper just for, yknow, the biosphere

yup, we are DEFINITELY going to engineer ourselves out of this one, all the powerful players who control multimedia empires convincing people of dumb poo poo like bleach enemas are going to get on the bandwagon this time

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Fly Molo posted:

this is why we need mass nuclear power. when it works? yay energy without fossil fuels. when it fucks up? welp, more natural paradises like chernobyl.

we need to irradiate ohio

actually we just need to nuke all white people

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lol "permian"

Where have I heard that before hmmm can't put my finger on it

Lmao

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Tempora Mutantur posted:

if that's not a syqo post then godDAMN

mfer seriously believes people who are struggling to get fed today are going to be involved in going to space and or directly believes "gently caress those people" since we can't even agree on feeding them while not going to space for the last four decades

but yeah man we're going to get our poo poo together now, it's like coming up on the deadline for a term paper just for, yknow, the biosphere

yup, we are DEFINITELY going to engineer ourselves out of this one, all the powerful players who control multimedia empires convincing people of dumb poo poo like bleach enemas are going to get on the bandwagon this time

Historically speaking though people move wherever there are oppurtunities; why did Fivel go to America? The American Dream is partly just very good marketing; similarly a "Martian Dream" or Martian Spirit could just as easily drive people to volunteer if transport was free. Imagine if in fact not just transportation; everything on Mars was free was long as you participated in the construction of Martian society as the American equivalent of free land out West or Roman farmland for returning soldiers. If you could never have to worry about poverty ever again in your life and had purpose in your life lots of people would probably be willing to make that sacrifice.

Don't think about it on a personal level, don't use subjective personal opinion, think in terms of macro-economic trends. "If you build it, people will come" etc.

You are going somewhere to forge a new life for yourself and your descendants building a better world; think of all the millions of people in the early USSR who willingly sacrificed to build a better nation. People endure hardship and pay any price for even tiny improvement in their present circumstances.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Eco Khmer Rouge

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This is extraordinarily not scientifically likely, but fun to think about. Someone should post the living on Mars thread

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

actually we just need to nuke all white people

glenn thread!?

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Im fivelpilled

Im a fivelgoeswestcell

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Manned space exploration for the exploitation and colonization of space is the destiny and birthright of mankind. There has never been, to my recollection, any serious arguments put forward that the belief of "inevitable human progress" is "detached from reality"; and discussing such topics does not distract from "achievable space science" anymore than the chronic underfunding of such ventures already do. It's entirely misplaced contrarianism seeking a target. This thread has always been about being open to manned exploration and colonization; discussion of topics like the Fermi Paradox/Great Filter/Civilization Kardeschev Levels presuppose a certain inevitability of scientific and technological progress. It doesn't really make any sense to suggest we shouldn't discuss those things, and beyond tedious to have posters continuously poo poo on such aspirations and topics; especially when the arguments against are just really bad.

And I don't think it's particularly productive to assert without evidence that such aspirations have "classism/racism" baked in, that's assuming the conclusion. Perhaps there could be a hypothetical discussion about what the ethics of xenobiology and xenopology but it's ridiculous to suggest that it's "problematic" to be excited for the potential of human beings living on Mars or some other planet in some other star system when we have no evidence any other alien life exists.

It isn't a high ask, that if people want to have fun, then the discussion, if you have something you disagree with, should be constructive.

So space travel is inevitable and destiny and that's why hitler was right and nazi's are great thread 1/24846

Mayday Cat
May 1, 2022

by sebmojo

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Historically speaking though people move wherever there are oppurtunities; why did Fivel go to America? The American Dream is partly just very good marketing; similarly a "Martian Dream" or Martian Spirit could just as easily drive people to volunteer if transport was free. Imagine if in fact not just transportation; everything on Mars was free was long as you participated in the construction of Martian society as the American equivalent of free land out West or Roman farmland for returning soldiers. If you could never have to worry about poverty ever again in your life and had purpose in your life lots of people would probably be willing to make that sacrifice.

Don't think about it on a personal level, don't use subjective personal opinion, think in terms of macro-economic trends. "If you build it, people will come" etc.

You are going somewhere to forge a new life for yourself and your descendants building a better world; think of all the millions of people in the early USSR who willingly sacrificed to build a better nation. People endure hardship and pay any price for even tiny improvement in their present circumstances.

"the ethics of xenobiology" lmao

like we wouldnt kill or exploit literally everything

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there isn't even an atmosphere on mars. we have trouble with bases in Antarctica and you can just fly there in a plane. the biggest thing we have ever gotten off the earth has less livable space than your apartment and is the most expensive single project ever undertaken. we're dying on this rock. best we could do is plant a tree no human will live to see and shoot some extremophile bacteria at it

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Samuel Glompers posted:

Im fivelpilled

Im a fivelgoeswestcell

Thinking about the part where he died of dehydration in the desert and the rest of the movie was the last DMT trip

Foreshadowing!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Stereotype posted:

there isn't even an atmosphere on mars. we have trouble with bases in Antarctica and you can just fly there in a plane. the biggest thing we have ever gotten off the earth has less livable space than your apartment and is the most expensive single project ever undertaken. we're dying on this rock. best we could do is plant a tree no human will live to see and shoot some extremophile bacteria at it

IT's loving fantasy see also how the loving nazi's thought king arther was real and they were his knights

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

TRYING TO SUMMON MY DELUSIONS INTO REEALITY BY CASTING MY DARK MAGIC WITH THE BLOOD OF POORS

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

The unspoken argument is that if we can live on Mars we can live on a ruined earth. So it is illogical to care about the biosphere you see.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
we can't even make the earth livable so what loving chance do we have with mars

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

What if I sold you a JPEG of living on MARS?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Mars is useful because it makes it easier to get to asteroids in da belt, because you have an easier time with skyhooks and space elevators with Mars's lower gravity. Kurzgesagt has a few videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqwpQarrDwk

Crazypoops posted:

So space travel is inevitable and destiny and that's why hitler was right and nazi's are great thread 1/24846

I think at least for thread regulars what I want should be fairly well known. I am just reminding people by saying it. For me personally, we should colonize space for the eternal glory of mankind and that's enough for me; but obviously I don't need to convince myself, people want to know if there's benefits either in the immediate, intermediate or long term future either for them or for civilization as a concept, which is what I am trying to do. Albeit I messed up at first in how I responded to goldstein's flippant pot stirring trollpost; if I had predicted that I'd be jumped on without anyone considering the original poster calling people "scifi humpers" I would have just empty quoted the post with it in bold and left it at that; but I digress and here's my attempt at a substantiative argument.

I think it should be self-evidence that as a species we should want to insure our survival (we will not be able to insure the survival of human civilization as we know it in the strictest sense because colonies hundreds if not thousands of light years apart are just going to drift and "mutate" as biological species will and be impossible to interact with each other); the alternative would be suicide with extra steps which I think reasonable people agree is not an ideal end point of our species. There are those like Kerning Cameleon who would assert otherwise but I don't think anyone agrees that this is a reasonable opinion.

If we accept the premise that as a species we want to survive; and our civilization as much as we are able; well I think it's clear there's only a limited amount of resources on our planet; even if our global population caps out at 12 billion people; the consumption of resources will continue to increase just to maintain our current level of complexity; for our civilization to continue to become further technologically and sociologically and economically more complex (see Crash Course on Youtube as an example of this argument) we need to continue the exponential growth in our economy and consumption of resources. This is accounting for certain substitutions and a reasonable degree of technological progress regarding efficiencies in production, consumption, etc but long term no matter how much we maniacally try to wring out every increase of efficiency we can this doesn't change the underlying equation, just how long it takes.

Personally I think market forces as outlined by Karl Marx in the Communist Manifesto means I don't really need to convince anyone, the market in programs and corporations like SpaceX are already looking at Mars and the Asteroid with uguu eyes because continuous exponential growth is a fundamental aspect of capitalism. "capital after exhausting its ability to exploit the hinterland will seek out all corners of the globe for hitherto unexploited lands for new markets, new sources of material, in order to increase the efficiacy of the exploitation of the old" (paraphrasing from memory). I've always liked Marx because he makes a convincing argument I used to argue in favour of the existence of technological determinance.

But that is the fundamental reason, whether it be for exploiting the asteroid belt, or relieving domestic political pressures, there is always a desire to expand, to exploit, and experience new marvels.

As people go off to live in asteroid mining colonies, space stations or on Mars, their own desires and needs will result in a further need for more resources, for more manufacturing, for new innovations and infrastructure to facilitate that commerce; which will result in the further need for new resources of cheaply available resources to meet the growing need for more resources.

In short, "the civilization will expand to meet the needs of the expanding civilization."

And to clarify and reiterate on my earlier point, this doesn't have anything per se to do specifically with VeniceVenus; but hundreds of years from now I can see the effort being considered for the same reasons why mining companies are now going to increasingly inhospitable places around the globe for resources as their demand has continued to grow; or for scientific reasons or for domestic political reasons. There was no compelling economic reason for the United States to want to beat the USSR to the moon; the goals of the Soviet rocket program was to produce ICBM's and to glorify how awesome Soviet Science is and how awesome Socialism is for being able to push the boundaries of how awesome they claimed to be; but the United States threw down the gauntlet and pushed past every threshold because of political reasons and for all we know there could exist similar political reasons; a project to fill people with interest on a goal; such as the promise of a new untamed hinterland for people in economic hardship to find a new start and a new life.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Real life is not a 4x. The game is over.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

stuff like this makes me wish the expanse didn't start sucking then die

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

yup, it will always be "easier" to fix this planet than to make another livable.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Real life is not a 4x. The game is over.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

these painful syqs make me sad that cspam doesn't have a successful space thread

at least the SAL physics and astronomy thread remains bearable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
To be fair I do agree with the principle that spreading humanity throughout the galaxy is a worthwhile endeavour.

But we've hosed it and it's never going to happen, suck it up scifiailures