Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
You know, it's very possible that Disney never, ever touches the period that comes after the sequel trilogy, and that's kind of a shame. Despite the ST's piss-poor worldbuilding, it actually leaves the galaxy in a more interesting place than it found it- essentially a total power vacuum. The Republic leadership and military are presumably eradicated, the Imperial remnants/First Order are seemingly shattered, and the Resistance is far too small and too varied of a coalition to ever hope to impose any semblance of order. The galaxy at this point is presumably atomized to thousands of little planetary systems and fiefdoms. Picture infinite corrupt local governments and warlords vying for power, a great many of them armed with planet-destroying weaponry salvaged from Exogol. How do you clean up that mess? The galaxy is at year zero, and everybody has nukes. That's a pretty interesting state of affairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sengoku star wars was always the best pitch for the ST and I suppose it pretty much remains the best pitch for a prospective SST. I think I could elevator pitch it successfully, but my heart is closer to my babu frik driving a small car concept so that would have to come first

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

General Dog posted:

You know, it's very possible that Disney never, ever touches the period that comes after the sequel trilogy

But then they'd have to come up with a new idea. Which they've proven themselves completely incapable of doing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If they finally stop trying to cater to the “prequels ruined my childhood” people we could get some dope Star Wars.

Those people or anyone who is still mad about them should not in anyway be pandered too or even acknowledged ever again. Just make whatever you want.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean, I think you're about to get what you want with the obi wan show. But be careful what you wish for, what disney thinks people liked about the prequels are highly likely to not be what people here liked about them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a good start, as opposed to the JJ abrams method of “the prequels were a crime and should be erased” which lead to very little originality.

Also a bad Star Wars show isn’t going to hurt me. Overall boba fett wasn’t good but whatever. It doesn’t keep me up at night lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When have they really catered to anti-prequel stuff? They filled in the main gap in that story by finishing Clone Wars and the new flagship show is basically a direct sequel to ROTS.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

If they finally stop trying to cater to the “prequels ruined my childhood” people we could get some dope Star Wars.

Those people or anyone who is still mad about them should not in anyway be pandered too or even acknowledged ever again. Just make whatever you want.

It does seem like they've gotten over that gradually, maybe people souring on the sequel trilogy had something to do with it. But I don't think they bring back Ewan Mcgregor and Hayden Christensen if they still thought invoking the prequels was some sort of third rail. They've also brought in a bunch of Clone Wars related stuff like Ashoka, Bo-Katan and the darksaber.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm not sure if Disney themselves cared about the Prequels but I think JJ Abrams definitely hated that they weren't just like the Original Trilogy and the marketing and comments from him definitely played up how they were going back to the spirit of the originals.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

stev posted:

When have they really catered to anti-prequel stuff? They filled in the main gap in that story by finishing Clone Wars and the new flagship show is basically a direct sequel to ROTS.

TFA through to the last Jedi really. Rian snuck in some of his love for them in his film, and JJ was obligated to reference one scene In tros because the discourse around the prequels were changing. But he still took out any other references the previous draft had.

Also remember they cancelled the clone wars and did Rebels which was all OT era, as was Rogue One and Solo.

Like I was shocked when I saw super battle droids in Mando.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The prequels getting their turn for the same disney treatment the originals did (masturbatory cargo culting of things you remember with neither understanding nor original thought) is a pretty apropos fate, bring it on I suppose. "It's about hope" :lol:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Roth posted:

I'm not sure if Disney themselves cared about the Prequels but I think JJ Abrams definitely hated that they weren't just like the Original Trilogy and the marketing and comments from him definitely played up how they were going back to the spirit of the originals.

Yeah and it could’ve also been a bad robot JJ thing. Now that he’s gone, they might be more willing to go that route because they are mega popular still.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CelticPredator posted:

Also remember they cancelled the clone wars and did Rebels which was all OT era, as was Rogue One and Solo.
They greenlight Bad Batch, and Rebels has plenty of Clone Wars era stuff in it.

I assumed the cancellation of the Clone Wars when they took over was more about starting with a clean slate than any reflection of the stories involved, given they did it to a lot of other EU stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah like I said post TLJ they eased up on the prequel hold or whatever you want to call it. Probably because the original 3rd film had many prequel locations front and center.

It was JJ who just wanted none of it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They greenlight Bad Batch, and Rebels has plenty of Clone Wars era stuff in it.

I assumed the cancellation of the Clone Wars when they took over was more about starting with a clean slate than any reflection of the stories involved, given they did it to a lot of other EU stuff.

Wasn't Clone Wars eventually brought back to finish out its run as well?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think what CelticPredator is saying is that the Disney-era started out as relatively anti-prequel and then eased up over time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I do think you could argue that Abrams was the main player who didn't want to acknowledge the prequels. It was all over the marketing stuff for TFA.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Abrams hated the prequels so much he had Palpatine repeat one of his most famous prequel quotes verbatim.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

Wasn't Clone Wars eventually brought back to finish out its run as well?

Twice (kinda). After the buyout happened they finished up an abridged sixth season, then in 2020 they aired a short 7th season (made up partly of ideas from the unfinished 6th season).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s the only time he ever said a single nice thing about the prequels.

Look everyone likes that scene because everyone loves palpatine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I accept that Abrams didn't like the prequels, but I just felt like Disney primarily wanted to tell the story that picks up after the original trilogy, and the prequels just weren't all that relevant to doing so.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s less specially the prequel lore but more of they didn’t want to deviate from the OT because the people who hate the prequels tend to dislike the whole vibe of them. So to make wild unique ships was a bit too risky because they wanted to please the alienated OT fans who needed to see an X Wing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a good start, as opposed to the JJ abrams method of “the prequels were a crime and should be erased” which lead to very little originality.

I never got that from Abrams and there's at least one case where someone posing a question to him at a con tried to get him to diss the prequels and he refused to take the bait.

Like, there's definitely some *reaction to* the prequels in how the ST was made- we don't get much explanation of the political situation because Oh No Politics in Star Wars is Boring, they go right back to Resistance vs. Not-Empire because underdogs is more interesting, etc.- but I don't think Abrams necessarily hates them, it's just being conscious of how people reacted to certain elements.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://amp.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/06/jj-abrams-considers-killing-off-jar-jar-binks-star-wars

https://www.cinemablend.com/star-wars/the-major-star-wars-location-jj-abrams-wanted-to-destroy-in-the-force-awakens

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

quote:

“I have a thought about putting Jar Jar Binks’s bones in the desert there,” he told his crew in front of Vanity Fair. Everyone laughed, but Abrams said, “I’m serious! Only three people will notice but they’ll love it.”

efb

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

TFA through to the last Jedi really. Rian snuck in some of his love for them in his film, and JJ was obligated to reference one scene In tros because the discourse around the prequels were changing. But he still took out any other references the previous draft had.

There's definitely prequels stuff in TROS, but for the life of me I don't remember any prequels references in The Last Jedi. Was it the fact that Luke says the word "Sidious"?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Spermando posted:

There's definitely prequels stuff in TROS, but for the life of me I don't remember any prequels references in The Last Jedi. Was it the fact that Luke says the word "Sidious"?

More the recognition that the Jedi loving suck I guess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I don't think blowing up Coruscant means JJ hated it, in the same way that I don't think killing Han means JJ hated him.

He's picking something recognisable that the audience are attached to.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I've always thought that if anything TLJ needed to be much more in dialogue with the prequels than it actually was. That would at least give it some potential for substance when talking about the supposed failures everyone needs to learn from which is what the film is about

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m doing a bad job at explaining which is fair because I have adhd brain and I’m doing a bunch of stuff while posting

But I do think JJ abrams and co, including Simon pegg who wasn’t involved with the films story but is a friend of JJ’s, and was in TFA, and a huge fan of RLM’s plinkett videos, (his name in the film was Plunkett fyi) hate the prequels and really needed to go back to the OT to bring back the alienated fans.

But that didn’t quite work as well as they wanted and Disney realized that while OT hardcore fans are still angry, the younger generation and many others don’t feel that way about the prequels so they brought in more prequel references and call backs post the last Jedi.
Even though the last Jedi had had the most due to name dropping sidious (which I’ve seen people on this forum annoyed with) saying the Jedi were flawed, and referencing the anakin Jedi temple shot with Kylo at the end.

After that, we saw much more prequel related things such as more shows, more designs (super battle droid in Mando) returning, characters returning (maul in solo which was a late edition), ect.

The marketing to the franchise was less “we’re doing things practical and real and using location and sets” which is for sure a slight against the prequels. And started to just be.

JJ Abrams was the guy in charge who hated the prequels, and now he’s out, and maybe we can get Star Wars that isn’t so afraid of being weird. (Prob not tho)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2MpKBgAs4o

It was subtle but it was very much there.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Even though the last Jedi had had the most due to name dropping sidious (which I’ve seen people on this forum annoyed with) saying the Jedi were flawed, and referencing the anakin Jedi temple shot with Kylo at the end.

... That's it? That's the extent of his love for the prequels? If that's the bar, then TFA is packed with prequels references.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/sta...00%2Fframe.html

He’s posted about the prequels more on twitter

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Rise of Skywalker's visual design references the prequels a little, they're using marble again on the floors of their spaceships.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Is JJ fully gone from the franchise? Disney only cares about money and he was very successful in that regard. I could very easily see them falling back to him again if another director, I dunno, attempts to make something that isn't pure nostalgia bait.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Glottis posted:

Is JJ fully gone from the franchise? Disney only cares about money and he was very successful in that regard. I could very easily see them falling back to him again if another director, I dunno, attempts to make something that isn't pure nostalgia bait.

I don’t think there would be much interest from either side after things ended the way they ended.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Glottis posted:

TRoS made half what TFA made and a good chunk less than TLJ.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm sure there is some universe where JJ comes back (they have some big bombs that line up with the ascendancy of the sequel kids demo, his new stuff is well regarded but doesn't keep him attached to a non disney entity). It probably has to happen before kennedy ages out, considering he is her baby. I'm sure it would be a pretty mercenary arrangement, but surprise so were his previous films

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Bring back George Lucas and specifically pander to the "he was only good when he had heavy push back from others!" crew and create a film built on a foundation of pure animosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

General Dog posted:

I don’t think there would be much interest from either side after things ended the way they ended.

There were rumors that Disney exes really hosed with ROS, even after JJ was brought in last second to "fix it". Things like the rumored jedi ghosts cut because of China, Finn finally being able to be force sensitive, a ton of stuff JJ wanted for the film that were forced to be cut. it's also why I think the rumored Matt Smith as a young palp thing got cut. I'm one of the biggest defenders of ROS, but the stuff that was rumored to be cut would have made it a better film for sure.

The script for Duel Of Fates that everyone says is so great? It's not. It's not a better film than what we got.