Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sonic Origins isn't being done by Backbone or Digital Eclipse. It's in good hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So aside from widescreen support do we know if anything new’s being added to 3K like was the case with the other Whitehead remakes?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you will be able to play sonic, knuckles, and tails

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i will not play as tails

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

only fools think themselves too good for tails

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Tails is a good boy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
pros play as knuckles

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The prototype music sounds fine in an actual Genesis I think. It's just Microsoft's lovely MIDI synthesizer making them sound bad on the old 90s S3&K PC version.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I wish they'd just come out and say what the where-for-art-thous of Sonic 3.
I suspect, however, that them playing keepaway is their way of being coy and saying "well, you're gonna have to buy it to find out huh?"

Motherfucker. I was going to do that already, this is the easily accessible version of the best remasters these games are getting this side of Super Mario All-Stars.
I just want to know how Sonic 3 is gonna be.

That said I'd lose no sleep over losing the three (?) OG MD music tracks and getting MD Remasters of the PC Version as it seems like that those were going to be the music from the off anyway and Jackson et all only got involved in the later stages of development.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 17, 2022

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nostalgamus posted:

Today I realized you can affect which pipe you get sent into when you enter these intersections:

Still not 100% sure about what affects the outcome.

How stupid should I feel for not realizing this years ago?

what

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The prototype music sounds fine in an actual Genesis I think. It's just Microsoft's lovely MIDI synthesizer making them sound bad on the old 90s S3&K PC version.
They sound alright when done through the Genesis but are still the worst of the 16-bit soundtracks by far and away, you can see why they jumped on the offer they got.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Nostalgamus posted:

Today I realized you can affect which pipe you get sent into when you enter these intersections:

It depends on whether you entered the pipe on an even or odd second on the timer.

e: The proto tracks poo poo all over the MJ team ones except for Ice Cap act 1.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Launch Base zone is far less enjoyable without hearing GO! in the background.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm really curious how Sonic 3&K with the beta tracks would feel to someone who's just never played or saw the games.

Even if the beta tracks are better with proper synth, they're still just so out of place.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nostalgamus posted:

How stupid should I feel for not realizing this years ago?

You hold the relevant direction, but you have to do it quite early, like once you've entered the intersection it's locked in, so it's likely that a lot of people missed it (including me!).

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its easy for me, No original sonic 3 music no buy unless its discounted. Why would I play a version of Sonic 3 without the Carnival Night theme? madness. I'll just stick to all the six other ways I can play it

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I quite like the beta music on its own merits, but man, Ice Cap and Launch Base are incredible, and I'd hate for people to miss out on them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

So aside from widescreen support do we know if anything new’s being added to 3K like was the case with the other Whitehead remakes?

dropdash probably

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Veotax posted:

These are updated with new features, like Mania's drop dash.

The Sega Ages version of Sonic 2 also has the Drop Dash. I don't remember if Sonic 1 does, though.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

hatty posted:

Its easy for me, No original sonic 3 music no buy unless its discounted. Why would I play a version of Sonic 3 without the Carnival Night theme? madness. I'll just stick to all the six other ways I can play it

See, Carnival Night is the one stage I actually wish they'd gone with the beta track instead of the final version. The beta tracks sound like a fun romp, the final tracks sound like a sick clown longing for the sweet embrace of death...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah it rules

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Larryb posted:

Way back when the mobile ports were new there was some talk of expanding the multiplayer stages into full single act zones, but that was years ago and nothing's been said about new stuff for Origins that I'm aware of.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've known people who grew up with the PC Sonic & Knuckles Collection having never had a Genesis/Mega Drive and still prefer the midi tracks of those stages because the console ones feel out of place to them.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i wonder if sega has a stupid internal thing about not allowing classic amy to be playable or if there just isnt anyone pushing for it. i feel like shes such an obvious addition, sure yeah itd be a lot of work and since they arent adding knuckles to cd the budget definitely cut off somewhere but like, even in mania when they had the opportunity to add more characters she was skipped over

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

KingKalamari posted:

See, Carnival Night is the one stage I actually wish they'd gone with the beta track instead of the final version. The beta tracks sound like a fun romp, the final tracks sound like a sick clown longing for the sweet embrace of death...

That’s also how it feels to play those levels, so the final tracks are perfect.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Amy played well in Advance always thought that moveset would adapt well to the older games

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

KingKalamari posted:

hatty posted:

Yeah it rules

Launch Base without the release track sucks, but its thankfully just another stop on the way through the entirety of S3&K so it's not so bad.

Now, Sonic 3 standalone with the beta track instead.... yikes

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The loss of the original Sonic 3 mini-boss theme was one of the few downsides to playing Sonic 3 and Knuckles as a single game. The & Knuckles version just doesn't have the same energy as a digitized voice shouting "C'MON!" when the miniboss shows up.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I wish they'd just come out and say what the where-for-art-thous of Sonic 3.
I suspect, however, that them playing keepaway is their way of being coy and saying "well, you're gonna have to buy it to find out huh?"

Motherfucker. I was going to do that already, this is the easily accessible version of the best remasters these games are getting this side of Super Mario All-Stars.
I just want to know how Sonic 3 is gonna be.

That said I'd lose no sleep over losing the three (?) OG MD music tracks and getting MD Remasters of the PC Version as it seems like that those were going to be the music from the off anyway and Jackson et all only got involved in the later stages of development.
The way they aren't showing Sonic 3 at all is leading me to believe it's because they have replaced the music and know people on the internet are going to be mad about it, so they are putting off that reveal as long as possible.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seems like something you say two months before launch so people could cool off before release instead of making people mad on release day

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

i wonder if sega has a stupid internal thing about not allowing classic amy to be playable or if there just isnt anyone pushing for it. i feel like shes such an obvious addition, sure yeah itd be a lot of work and since they arent adding knuckles to cd the budget definitely cut off somewhere but like, even in mania when they had the opportunity to add more characters she was skipped over

I'm pushing for it

hatty posted:

Amy played well in Advance always thought that moveset would adapt well to the older games

it does

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if replacing the music is what finally allows me to play sonic 3 and knuckles on the nintendo switch then so be it

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

In a perfect world Sonic 3 would let you choose the beta/actual music like how the Whitehead CD port lets you choose the japanese/english music

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

At the very least I hope they change (or give you the option to turn off) S3K’s annoyingly repetitive Invincibility/Super theme

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don’t actually care that much about the Sonic 3 music stuff.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I play Sonic games muted

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
mods?!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

I play Sonic games muted

imo you shouldnt do that

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

InspectorCarbonara posted:

The way they aren't showing Sonic 3 at all is leading me to believe it's because they have replaced the music and know people on the internet are going to be mad about it, so they are putting off that reveal as long as possible.
Or they're Sega and they just do things like they always do

Tee Lopes could easily do new amazing music anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The music has been replaced by acapella renditions by Sonic himself. They haven't shown it off yet, because people will be upset when they find out they got Modern Sonic to do it instead of Classic.