Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
nothing in this game will ever top me dying to rykard because I staggered him and I ran in close for a riposte with no health left despite him being already essentially dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So how am I supposed to know that I need a torch to see invisible dudes in this? That seems incredibly obscure unless you just impulsively buy everything from every merchant you see. Did anyone actually figure out you needed that for that Consecrated Fields area without actually looking it up?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Ginette Reno posted:

So how am I supposed to know that I need a torch to see invisible dudes in this? That seems incredibly obscure unless you just impulsively buy everything from every merchant you see. Did anyone actually figure out you needed that for that Consecrated Fields area without actually looking it up?

Yes. I like torches. If there's a different one with a different name, I read the description.

Edit: admittedly I didn't expect its use to be sooooo far away. I figured you'd use the Sentry torch in the Sentry catacombs.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 17, 2022

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

is the star sword worth the extra 8 points do you think or nah

If you like unga bunga, Starscourge swords, ruins greatsword and falling star beast jaw are all three worth meeting the min INT requirement.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

is the star sword worth the extra 8 points do you think or nah

Radahn swords are fun as hell if you're like level 150 and can spare the points to make them worthwhile.

They are absolutely not compatible with an early game build unless you're really good and can sacrifice the vigor to cover the STR and Mind necessary to make them effective.

Basically you need to bird farm or wait for NG+ to really cosplay as my boy.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm investing in some faith right now to give me some versatility but I assume by the time I reach end game or NG+ I will be able to check out the ruins sword/star scourge vibe thank you

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Ginette Reno posted:

I never found the torch and just played The Floor Is Lava for that bit.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snake Maze posted:

I never found the torch and just played The Floor Is Lava for that bit.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
Kind of just my pet lore theory but I think Gideon does have the guidance of grace. He has a vision that he wants to enact on the world, and the guidance of grace is just another word for that ambition

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
When you hit level 150 you can build around Ruins Greatsword, Radahn swords, and Beast Jaw and then it's time to just pancake everything.

If you go completely nuts and don't care about staying in the PvP flyweight division you can go to 200+ and really bunga the living hell out of some unga.

I'm at 305 in NG++ and being able to use 2 of everything except nerd spells owns so hard and the PvP heavyweight division kicks rear end because everyone is using rivers of blood and you can easily madness snipe for their insolence and then try again for a civil fight against a fellow Brick Chad.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm just running into the turtle pope for the first time in this playthrough and realising he's basically my incantation dumping ground instead of that gold mask loving wanker corhyn

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm investing in some faith right now to give me some versatility but I assume by the time I reach end game or NG+ I will be able to check out the ruins sword/star scourge vibe thank you

I did the same but used the ruins GS most of the game. Swapped between it and great stars. However I couldn’t fully appreciate the ruins GS until I got it to +10, S scaling in strength, and just bashed Malenia into the ground. Buff up and eat some crab and exalted flesh and go to town.

Also check out the night rider glaive.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Turtle Pope gets all the spell books of any type because you never know where the others might get off to, or whether they'll even be around

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

a kitten posted:

Turtle Pope gets all the spell books of any type because you never know where the others might get off to, or whether they'll even be around

And heresy is bad. Let's check it out and see what it does. :3:

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Is it possible to get the pipe hat?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

a kitten posted:

Also because he's reassuringly cool about teaching me heretical incantations. After all, heresy is not native to the world; it is but a contrivance.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

The Anime Liker posted:

And heresy is bad. Let's check it out and see what it does. :3:

Not sure if I understood correctly but I think he says heresy is just a made up thing and everything is cool.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

WaltherFeng posted:

Not sure if I understood correctly but I think he says heresy is just a made up thing and everything is cool.

Yeah. Dog Pope owns.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm just running into the turtle pope for the first time in this playthrough and realising he's basically my incantation dumping ground instead of that gold mask loving wanker corhyn

Always give all the sorceries and incantations to the turtle pope.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

dodgeblan posted:

Kind of just my pet lore theory but I think Gideon does have the guidance of grace. He has a vision that he wants to enact on the world, and the guidance of grace is just another word for that ambition

That's what I thought at first. But now I'm starting to think grace is actually whether or not you're continuing Marika's plot. Tarnished who stop trying to make their way to being Elden Lord regardless of their ambition, lose Grace. Like I wouldn't say Rogier is lacking ambition.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 17, 2022

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

maybe suspense too if it was meant as "the audience knows that there's a bomb under the table but the characters do not" hitchcockian sort of thing

That's textbook dramatic irony.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The Anime Liker posted:

Radahn swords are fun as hell if you're like level 150 and can spare the points to make them worthwhile.

They are absolutely not compatible with an early game build unless you're really good and can sacrifice the vigor to cover the STR and Mind necessary to make them effective.

Basically you need to bird farm or wait for NG+ to really cosplay as my boy.

This was not my experience- I put just enough into INT to use them and as long as you're doing jump + R1 nothing should be living long enough to hit you anyway. It's the DS1 Zweihander build all over again.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

War Wizard posted:

That's what I thought at first. But now I'm starting to think grace is actually whether or not you're continuing Marika's plot. Garnish to stop trying to make their way to being held in Lord regardless of their ambition, lose Grace. Like I wouldn't say Rogier is lacking ambition.

yeah, Rogier is ambitious. But I think when it comes to Tarnished the game makes a big distinction between followers and leaders. Rogier is a smart and powerful character who is looking for a larger cause to serve, which he finds in the form of those who live in death. This makes it easy for characters like Fia who do have their own independent goals and world view to manipulate him

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
When I found Rykard I didn't know about gimmick fights so I pocketed the snake be gone stick and almost got him dead. Glad he got me though because I came back a day later and had a fun time making him be my bitch.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
He can gently caress you up if you go in super arrogant but yeah, he's just a fun romp most of the time

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I was watching a speedrunner do Rykard and it looks like the first hit of the L2 will always stagger him (as long as he's not still in his 'reeling from that hit' animation) so if you time the L2s right you can just chain stagger to victory, while the follow-up swings don't have that effect.

Haven't tried it that way myself but if anyone's having an issue with that fight for some reason you can try that

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Really disappointed that you can't reload Rykard's arena and use the Snek-B-Gon to farm the snake balls from Bloodborne as a further homage to Demon's Souls

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

nothing in this game will ever top me dying to rykard because I staggered him and I ran in close for a riposte with no health left despite him being already essentially dead

Story of my life

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Story of my life

Last night in Bloodborne I delivered the killing stroke to Abrietas. Confident in my expert video game skillz I relented my attack.

Turns out that charged R2 only triggered a flinch animation, and she recovered with the swipe attack, owning me so hard I got to watch my death animation as I noticed her healthbar was 1 pixel wide on a 65" TV.

Absolute shameful rookie mistake. loving just assume Jason Voorhees is dead and drop the machete and walk away rookie rear end mistake.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I dunno what the intended strategy is on Rykard but I just picked up the Spear and sat directly under him stabbing him endlessly the whole fight. And it worked for both phases.

I might have been a little overleveled for him though. I did it after Leyndell because I wanted to finish the assassination quests first.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

You can put the snake b gon in your left and and zap him with L1 while still using your normal right hand weapon, this works pretty good and is what I did the first time.

Or, you can use it in your right hand and clown on him with cool and crazy laser wind(?) beams that sweep the room and just remember to not stand in the fire and occasionally dodge

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I wish the snake weapon could be triggered by something else in the game, since it actually scales super well and would be fun to use if you could at least snipe loving birds or stagger certain huge enemies because of some lore reason.

uber_stoat posted:

it's a really good weapon even without the snake repellent. it doesn't even have stat reqs.
Yeah that's why I even mentioned it. When I sorted my STR character's gear by Attack Rating, it was super high up there, even out-competing "real" weapons I was actively using.

I know it could feel cooler to use and just would love for the gaol worms or land octopusses to count as snakes. Or the random turtles scattered around. Like a summoning pillar or Marika statue, just being near one activates it. Sort of a reverse Sir Mix-a-Lot - you're an anaconda and my buns DON'T WANT SOME.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 17, 2022

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's a really good weapon even without the snake repellent. it doesn't even have stat reqs.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

a kitten posted:

You can put the snake b gon in your left and and zap him with L1 while still using your normal right hand weapon, this works pretty good and is what I did the first time.

Or, you can use it in your right hand and clown on him with cool and crazy laser wind(?) beams that sweep the room and just remember to not stand in the fire and occasionally dodge

Two hand the poo poo out of that thing and whack whack whack the snake!

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

I kinda wish From had made some more concessions for having narrative cause to do stuff and having more people that talk to you (or the existing people talking to you more) because the endgame really does feel pretty bloated, and combined with how oppressive the atmosphere in soulsborne games is, it starts to feel like a slog when you're on your 10th hour of murdering bosses no one even asked you to kill.

It's an amazingly good game, but you kinda end up feeling like it peaked at Morgott and you end up doing poo poo like Leyndell underground or the majority of Mountaintops just because it's there.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that sounds more like a you problem than a from problem tbh. maybe if you feel like you're just doing stuff "because it's there", don't do that stuff.

Blunt Instrument
Apr 4, 2008

How can you shoot
(hot dogs at) women or children?

Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha! Ain't ball hell?!

I dunno man maybe all of the stuff they put in would be improved if you had a couple more lines of dialogue to keep you more grounded in what you're doing if they put that all in, sorry I had mildly critical opinions on it I guess?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sorry i had a mildly critical response?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not 100% sure what exactly would change.

If you had a lore dump for FA would that really change your opinion of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
this is why we need shabriri