Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Maybe don't drive at 90+ mph. Problem solved!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There are some long, boring, open, empty stretches of land in the US.

Some places have posted signs of 80+, I'm sure people do 10 over -- and more -- there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I mean, the second you enter Cali you're going to get run over doing 85 in a 70.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Russian Bear posted:

Maybe don't drive at 90+ mph. Problem solved!!!

:texas:

I've been passed doing over 90 on that highway before. If you're not doing 80 in Texas someone in an F-350 Freedom Edition dually is going to run your rear end off the road.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You can drive safely slower than the speed limit and no one is going to run you over. If you're unable to do that, maybe you shouldn't be driving.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
depends where you are I guess but suburban freeways will easily move at 80 in the middle lanes if poo poo is actually moving

in addition to the aforementioned big empty US interstates that go through thrillingly scenic Middle Of Nowhere

pls do not drive slower than the speed limit unless you absolutely have to

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

You can drive safely slower than the speed limit and no one is going to run you over. If you're unable to do that, maybe you shouldn't be driving.
This is insanely untrue in a lot of places lol

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Whatever yall gotta say to justify your speeding. Just say you want to go fast and are willing to make the mortality tradeoffs instead of hiding behind "but it's safer for me to go faster!". It's not safer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Russian Bear posted:

yeah, I was being hyperbolical, I was just trying to say that traffic does flow at that kind of speed in some places

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Russian Bear posted:

Whatever yall gotta say to justify your speeding. Just say you want to go fast and are willing to make the mortality tradeoffs instead of hiding behind "but it's safer for me to go faster!". It's not safer.

Oh my god this is such an annoying hill to die on. Yes it can absolutely be safer. Goons just said several examples and I can add another in the city I am in, the posted speed limit is 40 but flow of traffic is frequently at 60 or more. If you drive at 38 MPH in a middle lane you going to cause a lot of dangerous speed conflicts.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've always wondered what the combination of higher speeds, plus heavy AC usage does to EV range. I see plenty of Tesla's around so I'm assuming it's OK.

I'm probably going to buy myself a new car sometime in 2024, and I'm torn between getting a Mach-E, or the new S650 Mustang with the V8 and Manual since that may be the last Mustang to ever have a V8 Manual powertrain.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
re: ev stuff, it is kind of cool that latest Ewan Long Way did the tip of South America to Los Angeles on EV motorcycles / Rivian trucks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

skipdogg posted:

I've always wondered what the combination of higher speeds, plus heavy AC usage does to EV range. I see plenty of Tesla's around so I'm assuming it's OK.

I'm probably going to buy myself a new car sometime in 2024, and I'm torn between getting a Mach-E, or the new S650 Mustang with the V8 and Manual since that may be the last Mustang to ever have a V8 Manual powertrain.

High speeds are really, really bad for EV range. Look at the range on the Harley Livewire: 146 mile city range, 70 mile highway range. Low, aerodynamic cars with low rolling resistance tires can help, but EV range falls off a cliff past ~65mph-ish.

I can't speak for every single EV out there, but for my Kia Niro, using AC or not doesn't make a big difference to range. Using the heater is going to be much worse for range on most EVs, with ones that have a heat pump doing much better.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Considering how often people drive such long distances I'm going to file "200 miles at 90 mph" under the "300 miles at 70 mph" category, something nobody actually does enough to justify getting an entire car that can do it. Nothing changes with people and their irrational requirements for their vehicles.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KakerMix posted:

Considering how often people drive such long distances I'm going to file "200 miles at 90 mph" under the "300 miles at 70 mph" category, something nobody actually does enough to justify getting an entire car that can do it. Nothing changes with people and their irrational requirements for their vehicles.

There's nothing irrational about it. If you're spending that much on a vehicle ("that much" being the cost of any new car these days really) you really want it to everything you need for it to do. Rather than trying to calculate "just enough" and getting caught flat footed when something comes up that demands more.

EDIT: Yes people who can buy a Lucid Air can afford multiple cars, but I would wager that unless they're a literal billionaire, it's still more than expensive enough where that mental calculus applies.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 17, 2022

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KakerMix posted:

I've done three road trips in the past year which included multiple days of 300+ miles of highway driving around 80 mph. There was a stop for lunch or dinner the middle of all of them though, so had there been a restaurant with a fast charging point it might not have been an issue.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

y'all

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's absolutely safer to go with the flow of traffic. Somewhat ironically, the defensive driving class you can take to get points taken off your license for a speeding ticket, will tell you this.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Oh my god this is such an annoying hill to die on. Yes it can absolutely be safer. Goons just said several examples and I can add another in the city I am in, the posted speed limit is 40 but flow of traffic is frequently at 60 or more. If you drive at 38 MPH in a middle lane you going to cause a lot of dangerous speed conflicts.

People will just go around you. It's amazing I know. Hey look I live in a western state where 80-85 highway traffic flow is common too. Vehicles do less than the speed limit and get to their destination safely all the time (have you ever heard of trailer trucks?). One time I drove 70 on a 75 and got to my destination completely safely WOW, how about that for an example.

I get annoying about speeding, especially, the non interstate variety, because it's literally murdering pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and every other road user that's not in a 2 ton steel cocoon in every city across America.

Don't get me started on the inane way speed limits are set in the US and how we don't build roads to match how fast we want cars to travel on them.

PT6A posted:

It's absolutely safer to go with the flow of traffic. Somewhat ironically, the defensive driving class you can take to get points taken off your license for a speeding ticket, will tell you this.

Does this course specifically tell you that it's ok to speed to keep up with traffic?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 17, 2022

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I drive at the speed of traffic so as to not make myself a hazard

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

wrong op. There are a good half dozen states with with high enough speedlimits that if you can't maintain the flow of traffic you are a liability and will get your poo poo pushed in by some mouth breather in a luxury car. Especially when there's two or three morons that decide to measure cocks around a flotilla of slow moving large vehicles.

I say this having traveled the country in the last year with a vehicle that can't break 80, and *barely* break 70 depending on conditions.
It. loving. Sucks.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

re: ev stuff, it is kind of cool that latest Ewan Long Way did the tip of South America to Los Angeles on EV motorcycles / Rivian trucks.

That was a fun show but I think they were definitely getting more charging for the bikes in the super remote areas from the support charging vehicle than they were letting on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Russian Bear posted:

Does this course specifically tell you that it's ok to speed to keep up with traffic?

Yes, actually. I did at as my driver's ed program rather than to get points removed, and they explicitly expected you to speed to keep up with traffic within reason (for example, if it's one in the morning, and there's one other person on the road going 40 over, don't do the same thing). They made the point that it would be a fail on the actual driver's test, but that in practice you should do it for safety.

The only times I don't do it are in construction zones and school zones, both because the fines are that much more likely and larger, and because in those areas there's a very specific and good reason for the low speed limit. I keep right, and adjust speed as necessary. If I can tell that going the speed limit in a construction zone is going to gently caress up a merge for everyone, I'll speed up temporarily, for example.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Keyser_Soze posted:

That was a fun show but I think they were definitely getting more charging for the bikes in the super remote areas from the support charging vehicle than they were letting on.

Yeah, I agree, it seemed like the first part of the trip was a nightmare. I'm currently at the episode where they talk about Darien Gap but it seems like the show has picked up to where it should have been with respect to focusing on the ride, culture, sights, etc instead of charging drama.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I went over the speed limit once and literally murdered a pedestrian, cyclist, AND motorcyclist. Don't be me.

It's pretty obvious from context that people are talking about going faster on highways where it's illegal in a lot of places for pedestrians/cyclists to even be on them. I've personally had people try and run me off the road for going to speed limit so it does happen. In urban areas and whatnot where there's lot of foot/cycle traffic? I don't even usually get to whatever the speed limit is because I'm too busy looking out for people.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

One of the reasons I'm not more interested in this generation of electric cars is the prospect of driving to Las Vegas in one. Lots of high speed freeway travel in an environment that will tax the cooling system.

But then again I've been thinking I'll replace my current car soon for more than 10 years, so who knows.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Russian Bear posted:

I get annoying about speeding, especially, the non interstate variety, because it's literally murdering pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and every other road user that's not in a 2 ton steel cocoon in every city across America.

Posters are talking about the practice of maintaining the speed of traffic flow on a multilane road *which is actually safer to you and everyone else around you in the appropriate circumstance*

Sure if you are doing 50 over in a suburban zone you can go gently caress yourself. But thats not what is being discussed here.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Posters are talking about the practice of maintaining the speed of traffic flow on a multilane road *which is actually safer to you and everyone else around you in the appropriate circumstance*

Sure if you are doing 50 over in a suburban zone you can go gently caress yourself. But thats not what is being discussed here.

The poster I was replying to specifically mentioned 40mph speed limit, which would be on a multi lane in a city setting.

Anyway, good thing cars are as safe as they are, because people are sure as poo poo never going to slow down.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If people would loving stay to the right and pass on the left, cars going 50 and cars going 90 could share the same road and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tricky Ed posted:

One of the reasons I'm not more interested in this generation of electric cars is the prospect of driving to Las Vegas in one. Lots of high speed freeway travel in an environment that will tax the cooling system.

But then again I've been thinking I'll replace my current car soon for more than 10 years, so who knows.

EVs deal better with heat than cold. It might be slightly less convenient than a gas car but it would be perfectly doable.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Neo_Crimson posted:

EDIT: Yes people who can buy a Lucid Air can afford multiple cars, but I would wager that unless they're a literal billionaire, it's still more than expensive enough where that mental calculus applies.

Buying a bolt and renting something for the times you need more range would be way less expensive than buying a lucid.

This logic leads to everyone driving half ton pickups so they’ve got every possible base covered.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The highway speed limit here is 130 km/h aka 80 and you can go 150 without getting into too much trouble.

I don't really spend enough time driving on highways to make a difference but if I did, I'd certainly want to be able to go around 3-4 hours at those kinds of speeds . Also consider cold and rain or slush and you really need a ton of paper range.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i understand no one drives 300 miles in 1 go, but most evs are not 300, they're 200-270? Also realistically, you're driving until 15-20%, equivalent of fueling up at the 1-2 gallon left mark, because not all chargers work and no one drives literally until 0% to their recharge station. So it's actually 150-220ish? Minus another 10% for AC, god forbid heater. Minus another 10% because who drives literally 70mph constant with no hills.

Electric cars are still reasonable, especially since they leave home (assuming you have a house) at full (but also get an e-bike, oh wait we live in america nvm). But I definitely got antsy going anywhere over 70 miles away especially away from cities thinking I may have to find a charger before coming home.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Reading these various replies just cements the fact that the US needs far better infrastructure for alternatives to the car and that it seems nobody should actually be driving if they incapable of looking ahead to spot potential hazards.

I then remember my first visit to the US where someone piled into the back of us at a fair speed because we had the audacity to stop for a red light :v:

If everyone is driving fast then you're putting pressure on terrible drivers to be able to react to a given situation that much quicker. And I think we all know too many drivers are unable to cope going parking lot speeds.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 18, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

gas here is fuckin $2.30/L

time to get a prius and a motorcycle

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Having just a scooter to get around was very nice when I was paying a dollar a week for gas.

Cons were doing this in the subtropics and getting rained on all the loving time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I like driving. A lot.

I'm also convinced more and more that auto radar tickets doling out 200$ tickets for 1mph over are loving required. For safety and for fuel economy. Make 55mph the max. Nail everyone going over to a cross. Make it 500$ for 18 wheelers.

/grandpa rant over

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LeeMajors posted:

I like driving. A lot.

I'm also convinced more and more that auto radar tickets doling out 200$ tickets for 1mph over are loving required. For safety and for fuel economy. Make 55mph the max. Nail everyone going over to a cross. Make it 500$ for 18 wheelers.

/grandpa rant over

I agree that we need automated speed enforcement in the US.

When I lived in Texas, I believed that truckers don't speed. It turns out that Texas just has high freeway speed limits, and trucks in the US actually drive 66-68 mph everywhere, regardless of the speed limit. In Texas they were doing 68mph on 70 and 75mph limit roads, in Tennessee they're doing 68mph in 55 and 60mph limits.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Truckers are going the fastest speed that the governor on their truck allows them to at all times. Time is money.

Part of it is also that the Northeast just has artificially low speed limits and you're expected to go 10 over. I've never been pulled over for doing less than 15 over on a divided, limited access highway. Those speed limits are for the winter and when it's lovely out. It's just a thing everyone knows here.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Make it so your speed is limited directly by energy consumption so F-350s can go 45 mph while Tesla Model 3s can go 130 mph