Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm watching Turins tournament stream right now and Ku'gath managed to get 9900 value in one battle.

I, uh, guess they buffed him. Don't underestimate mortis effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The mount skill point change is also a minor buff to the AI because it absolutely loved to grab every mount as they became available so that's a few more skill points it can toss into -2% city siege attrition.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wouldn't want a Warhammer character to look weird

Meanwhile

I'm the steak knife.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Greenskins vs ogres is gonna be rough

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Daemon Prince gets all four of the new demonic RoRs. That's neat.

On the character select screen, Zhao Ming is the first choice for Cathay and has the "Recommended first campaign" tag. Was it always like that?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

The Daemon Prince gets all four of the new demonic RoRs. That's neat.

On the character select screen, Zhao Ming is the first choice for Cathay and has the "Recommended first campaign" tag. Was it always like that?

No. The recommended starts used to be Kislev and Prince.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Cease to Hope posted:

No. The recommended starts used to be Kislev and Prince.

I knew that. I checked again, and those recommendations are gone. Now, only Zhao Ming has the recommendation.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Having a go at the game on Gamepass. I think there is a way to install mods, but every link I find points me to the Workshop. Is there a nexusmods or something like that for the game?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The Workshop

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So everything looks good in that patch and then looking deeper...there are lots of small buffs to ranged AP. Like a lot of small buffs that add up. Kossars get up to 5 more now. That poo poo is a lot!

One thing I had a lot of fun with in WH3 and thought they succeeded on was making ranged AP fire less impactful. I'm worried they are swinging back the other way. I already rarely brought Streltsi, now if kossars are even better against armor, why would i ever?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fat Samurai posted:

Having a go at the game on Gamepass. I think there is a way to install mods, but every link I find points me to the Workshop. Is there a nexusmods or something like that for the game?

TWW as a series has half a decade of modders getting entrenched with only releasing mods on the steam workshop, so game pass/egs owners are probably boned with regards to mods.

Ravenfood posted:

So everything looks good in that patch and then looking deeper...there are lots of small buffs to ranged AP. Like a lot of small buffs that add up. Kossars get up to 5 more now. That poo poo is a lot!

One thing I had a lot of fun with in WH3 and thought they succeeded on was making ranged AP fire less impactful. I'm worried they are swinging back the other way. I already rarely brought Streltsi, now if kossars are even better against armor, why would i ever?

"Giving everyone tons of ranged AP" seems to be a hallmark of the post-launch DLC/support team's balance preferences, so that's probably the direction we're headed. I guess it'll help Cathay and Kislev keep parity once IE lands and everyone has to face darkshard machine guns and sisters of avelorn again.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

"Giving everyone tons of ranged AP" seems to be a hallmark of the post-launch DLC/support team's balance preferences, so that's probably the direction we're headed. I guess it'll help Cathay and Kislev keep parity once IE lands and everyone has to face darkshard machine guns and sisters of avelorn again.
Yeah, I suppose the Grom +AP goblin archers and Thorek quarrellers both came from the same place.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There needs to be room for both AP and non AP archers besides economical choices.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really think almost every faction shouldn’t get ranged AP. Just, like, high elfs, dwarfs, and empire. Makes being able to field guns a big deal.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Severly restrict arcing fire, lower AP for non-magical bows but keep them shooting fast(Maybe even faster with lower arc), get crossbows in the middle with some AP, some arc but lower RoF than bows and then guns for the really heavy AP burst damage but with lowest RoF and no arc.

Then make different units have different spreads within this, so darkshards have lower AP than Empire Crossbows but higher RoF and double shots, while dwarfs might have higher AP but lower RoF etc etc. Always make sure there is some payoff and have Empire be the standard to deviate from.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Refreshingly, my time spent with 3 has me largely more focused on how fast various ranged units die when hit from all sides.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Twigand Berries posted:

Refreshingly, my time spent with 3 has me largely more focused on how fast various ranged units die when hit from all sides.

Thats why Slaanesh is the best faction! No range, only speed and brutal, brutal murder :unsmigghh:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The post IE multiplayer scene is gonna be hilarious for the likes of Ogres and Slaanesh. Maybe even Khorne and Nurgle's glacial asses. Just absolutely annihilating ranged heavy play.

Also what's this about Kugash getting mortis? Did they finally make my 20k HP boy the engine of doom every other GUO is?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

There needs to be room for both AP and non AP archers besides economical choices.
No, ap archers shouldn't exist.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Why not? Wasn't such a thing?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

TWW1 already hit the proper balance point, which is that archers get arcing fire but have poo poo AP while gunpowder units have flat trajectory fire and LOS problems but have devastating AP. Basically the only standard archers in TWW1 that had real AP were starfire glade guard and waywatchers, which were both DLC units in a faction built around a weak frontline and skirmish fighting. Then TWW2 invented darkshards and the lid was off the cookie jar.

AP on archers is way more dangerous and unbalancing than AP on flat trajectory gunpowder units because archers can be used en masse and focus fire much more easily.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 18, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Most ranged outside of guns or magical bows really shouldn't have ap damage at all. Even crossbows can't really penetrate plate (though they leave some dents and maybe holes) and their arc of fire is ridiculous. My guess is the arc of fire on crossbows and the bit of AP damage they give is so it looks worth it to upgrade.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Doomykins posted:

Also what's this about Kugash getting mortis? Did they finally make my 20k HP boy the engine of doom every other GUO is?

Yeah, he can get it in multiplayer now. It was pretty incredible, he just sat on the middle point the whole match not dying and killing everything with his sheer stinkiness.

Kanos posted:

TWW1 already hit the proper balance point, which is that archers get arcing fire but have poo poo AP while gunpowder units have flat trajectory fire and LOS problems but have devastating AP. Basically the only standard archers in TWW1 that had real AP were starfire glade guard and waywatchers, which were both DLC units in a faction built around a weak frontline and skirmish fighting. Then TWW2 invented darkshards and the lid was off the cookie jar.

AP on archers is way more dangerous and unbalancing than AP on flat trajectory gunpowder units because archers can be used en masse and focus fire much more easily.

I believe that darkshards having AP was supposed to be their unique gimmick from tabletop. Opening it up afterward to give that to other factions was a big mistake, yeah.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nephthys posted:

I believe that darkshards having AP was supposed to be their unique gimmick from tabletop. Opening it up afterward to give that to other factions was a big mistake, yeah.

Sometimes you can't translate mechanics directly from a turn-based tabletop game to a real time strategy game and have it not gently caress everything up, unfortunately.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I had like a 20 territory Clan Mors confederate into Clan Eshin with like Pigbarter and stuff I can't remember who I was playing I just remember thinking oh god AP gutter runners

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Nephthys posted:

The problem being darkshard's are a low tier archer. Once you give that to one faction then overall balance starts getting skewed around fact that they exist.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ranged ap could be balanced to have it be the superior choice vs enemies above x armor, but have the minimal ap ranged have much better base damage which will be better vs high hp/low armor features like Savage orcs.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Kanos posted:

Sometimes you can't translate mechanics directly from a turn-based tabletop game to a real time strategy game and have it not gently caress everything up, unfortunately.

Don't Darkshards have like only 90 range though, compared to 145-160 for most other factions' low level archer tier units?

I don't see Dark Elves dominating the multiplayer scene or dominating Mortal Empires much. Is there really a problem with mass AP archer units in the game? This is the first I've ever heard of this concern.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It makes singleplayer a touch more boring to know your T1 is right there waiting to carry you throughout the entire campaign. Obviously it's gamer brain to not just ignore that and do what you think is fun this run through.. and the problem solves itself in pvp where mass ranged is a classic weakness.

But yeah, the AI can't complain. It just homogenizes some factions like High Elves where your elites are "super archers" and "not super archers."

Also in my experience Dark Elves always dominate post potion of speed ME but that's a problem with their territory/confeds/black ark weighting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Don't Darkshards have like only 90 range though, compared to 145-160 for most other factions' low level archer tier units?

I don't see Dark Elves dominating the multiplayer scene or dominating Mortal Empires much. Is there really a problem with mass AP archer units in the game? This is the first I've ever heard of this concern.

They're at 125 range, which means they get outranged by most other dedicated archer units(180 for high elf archers, 170 for glade guard, 160 for empire crossbows), but are low tier, almost pure AP, and silver shielded.

Multiplayer is a completely and totally different animal from campaign and balance concerns in MP and SP don't necessarily translate to each other. As for Mortal Empires, it was generally fairly understood that if you wanted to ultimate cheese mode and win ME automatically you just built stacks of nothing but AP ranged units if your faction could support it. Mass armies of Shades, Sisters of Avelorn, Waywatchers, etc. were functionally unbeatable by the AI.

Mass arcing fire ranged is honestly a campaign balance problem even without AP - see how you can win a Kislev campaign in TWW3 just by spamming Kossars for 90% of the game - but free access to AP simply removes one of the few things your army has problems with.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 18, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I've often considered the superiority of Ikit's gunline is largely all the different pretty colors.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

A few pages late, but I think part of the IE delay is that more things have changed between games than is immediately obvious. I've only really looked at items and ancillaries to update my mods so people will stop complaining at me, but it seems like there are more changes under the hood than I remember between WH1 and WH2. They're mostly small things that wouldn't jump out at you in game, but there's quite a few of them. E.g. in item/ancillary land unit hp regen/healing is now all percentage based (used to use flat values) and winds of magic regen received the same changes, the system used for determining what items/ancillaries randomly drop in the campaign was completely overhauled, and the tooltip system for items and ancillaries is totally different. I expect if you poked around in other systems you'd find similar stuff, and that a chunk of the delay is that they have to address updating all of the content from the first two games to account for it. Unless I'm mistaken (I can't be arsed to reinstall WH2 to confirm) it seems like the universal items and ancillaries from the first two games also received a round of changes for balance/usability, while the stuff that's only accessible to races you can't play in campaign hasn't, so they may be dealing with that as well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Do shielded ranged units get the shield protection when firing? Seems the shield stays on their back forever.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

jokes posted:

Do shielded ranged units get the shield protection when firing? Seems the shield stays on their back forever.

yes

ask me about quarrelers and how I detest them for beign ork arrer boyz with shields

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, he can get it in multiplayer now. It was pretty incredible, he just sat on the middle point the whole match not dying and killing everything with his sheer stinkiness.

He is the UrGoon. :allears:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

jokes posted:

Yes, this is why they are particularly good vs other ranged units. Shield Block is always active so long as the projectiles are hitting the front arc of the unit.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I dont know posted:

The problem being darkshard's are a low tier archer. Once you give that to one faction then overall balance starts getting skewed around fact that they exist.

Right but because they were low tier I don't think they ever really dominated the meta, did they? I thought they would be ridiculously unbalanced when WH2 released but they ended up losing to Lothern Sea Guard most of the time or run down by cav and they weren't cost-effective in multiplayer iirc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nephthys posted:

Right but because they were low tier I don't think they ever really dominated the meta, did they? I thought they would be ridiculously unbalanced when WH2 released but they ended up losing to Lothern Sea Guard most of the time or run down by cav and they weren't cost-effective in multiplayer iirc.

You can win a dark elf campaign fairly easily by building nothing but darkshards and a few throwaway spearmen until your economy is strong enough to transition to mass shades, which are themselves just Better Darkshards.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah i never figured out why they didn't add depth by making the different ranged units unique. Give bows longer range arcing shots with almost no AP or a direct fire short range AP mode. Make crossbows have shallow arcs with a high chance to stagger but use less vigor to operate. You'd change how entire races would operate which would be great and you'd add some versatility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I liked the anti-large bow boys that Empire gets from that one expansion.