Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 2, 2005

Zuzie posted:

Are you aware of the jokes regarding Nuggets? Pokemon isn't really a stranger to testicle jokes but that was back in the Gameboy games.

:eng101: That's because one colloquialism for testicles in Japanese is 金玉 -- literally gold balls. :eng101:

Nuggets in the games are きんのたま、same meaning but with an extra particle that changes the meaning slightly to something like golden balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
love the town music in PLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ee4QjCEHHc

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
We need a PLA-style game set in the Wild West, with a jackalope Pokemon and maybe a regional form for Voltorb/Electrode based on nitrocellulose billiard balls

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I would legit collect a billiard set of voltorbs - so silly! Rock/Electric maybe?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Every time I see "PLA", I think it's Platinum for a few seconds.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wait why is the soul in the butt?? Why would you keep it there? Isn't it in danger of being pooped out? Could you poop so bad your soul fell out and if so, how do you put it back in? This is fascinating and awesome.

Also it says on wikipedia that a kappa's favourite food is cucumber and now I understand why the little kappa fella in Animal Crossing sings a song about a boat made of cucumber that he can't refrain from chewing on while at sea, so thanks for this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

StandardVC10 posted:

We need a PLA-style game set in the Wild West, with a jackalope Pokemon and maybe a regional form for Voltorb/Electrode based on nitrocellulose billiard balls

Tumbleweed Tangela.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Wait why is the soul in the butt?? Why would you keep it there? Isn't it in danger of being pooped out? Could you poop so bad your soul fell out and if so, how do you put it back in? This is fascinating and awesome.

Also it says on wikipedia that a kappa's favourite food is cucumber and now I understand why the little kappa fella in Animal Crossing sings a song about a boat made of cucumber that he can't refrain from chewing on while at sea, so thanks for this.

If you ever want to watch more weird poo poo about Kappas and watch them steal shirikodamas every episode to song and dance...
https://www.crunchyroll.com/sarazanmai

It's also directed by the same guy that directed Utena and Sailor Moon R & S.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Edward IV posted:

If you ever want to watch more weird poo poo about Kappas and watch them steal shirikodamas every episode to song and dance...
https://www.crunchyroll.com/sarazanmai

It's also directed by the same guy that directed Utena and Sailor Moon R & S.

It’s also exactly as queer as you would expect a show framed entirely on asses to be.

Doc Melonhead
Sep 2, 2018

StandardVC10 posted:

Personally, I believed that the Nidoran line are Jackalopes when you know that they're real and how they are made from a rabbit/hare infected by a cancerous wart virus.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HopperUK posted:

This is because drowning victims often have a gaping butthole for some reason. Just a thing that happens when you drown, I guess.

People supposed that whatever caused the person to drown (obviously a malevolent river spirit), was messing around in their butt looking for something.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's good to see that "oh no not my butt" isn't just for terrible modern political cartoons, it's got a long history behind it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Spiritomb's path of solitude is some hot garbage and I only succeeded against the level 80 Sylveon by grinding my max grit Spiritomb up to level 100 and getting 3 Hypnosis drowsy procs in a row to set up and attack without getting instantly annihilated :majorminor:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

EorayMel posted:

Spiritomb's path of solitude is some hot garbage and I only succeeded against the level 80 Sylveon by grinding my max grit Spiritomb up to level 100 and getting 3 Hypnosis drowsy procs in a row to set up and attack without getting instantly annihilated :majorminor:

Have you tried Pichu's? That one is some bullshit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

None of this is new information but it's presented pretty well in this video so I think it's worth linking to, just how broken Gen 2 Apricorn balls were. I actually learned a couple of things I didn't know here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiX5Zbz7Vyc

Doc Melonhead
Sep 2, 2018
Just to show you how worthless some of those are like the moon ball were accidentally programmed to lower the catch rate on pokemon that can evolve by Burn Heal of all things

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Doc Melonhead posted:

Just to show you how worthless some of those are like the moon ball were accidentally programmed to lower the catch rate on pokemon that can evolve by Burn Heal of all things

I can actually explain that by taking a look at some Gameshark codes:
In RBY, the Moon Stone's item index number is 0A. At some point during GSC's development, they shuffled the item indices around and never updated the Moon Ball's code to match. What wound up as 0A? Burn Heal.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Something for all the Polteageist and Indeedee fans out there

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Just popping in to say MM shiny hunting in gen 4 suxxxx (still), so I've given up and am doing RNG manipulation instead, and HGSS Cute Charm Glitch is the most fun game I've ever played.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1524740327336202241

No actual date, but I'd imagine that they finally worked out how to transfer monsters between BDSP and other games.

ForteanMan
Jun 3, 2020

No date is a bummer, but legitimately happy they’ve acknowledged this is still happening lol.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

They mention movesets will be changed between Legends and the mainlines by replacing exclusive moves with level ups, which makes sense. Wondering how the new stuff will impact the meta beyond Origin Palkia replacing Palkia on everything.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait to send my Hisuian Pokemon to Pokemon HOME for them to rot in disuse because they can't be sent anywhere :v

(In all seriousness, about time.)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Except the Japanese Red/Green dex entry (yes, I checked) of Slowbro directly references Shellder biting the tail. So Taaban had to be 100% a Shellder evolution. Probably got cut cause they didn't want to think of a reason on how does it evolve outsode of Slowbro (even if nowadays it would evolve like Mantyke->Mantine, maybe if Slowpoke evolves as an extra requirement)

Maybe Taaban just evolves directly from Slowbro, because it has fully consumed the Slowbro

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zuzie posted:

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1524740327336202241

No actual date, but I'd imagine that they finally worked out how to transfer monsters between BDSP and other games.

Are there Pokemon in BDSP that aren't in Sword/Shield?

I wish everything from Sword/Shield could be brought into BDSP.

edit: lol
"If a Pokédex entry in Pokémon Legends: Arceus is incomplete, you will not be able to see that Pokédex entry in Pokémon HOME."

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Are there Pokemon in BDSP that aren't in Sword/Shield?

I wish everything from Sword/Shield could be brought into BDSP.

Quite a few actually. BDSP supports all Pokemon from Generations 1 to 4 with the exceptions of regional forms.

But I think Sword and Shield are not going to get updated to include all the monsters that were made available in BDSP or Legends.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Spacebump posted:

"If a Pokédex entry in Pokémon Legends: Arceus is incomplete, you will not be able to see that Pokédex entry in Pokémon HOME."
I assume they mean research level 10 entries and not like, the sparkles all tasks completed entry.

Which would make sense, since you don't get the pokedex blurb about a mon until you hit research level 10 on a pokedex entry in Legends anyways.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Spacebump posted:

That's a bit weird. I thought Home just had access to the pokemon, not to the save file data of games you've connected it to. But it doesn't make sense for each pokemon to carry around a flag saying whether it's been to a PLA save file where the pokedex entry was complete, so I guess it pairs to the game. Or it updates the accessible pokedex entries whenever you connect to a PLA (otherwise how would it work if you have a physical copy of the game, or restart your save?)

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Home has some weird system for how it reads your data. A while back, I didn't get Magearna, and I had to make an excel list of what I was missing according to home, and which games I'd have to go back and get them from. After a bit, I was still missing about 34 on that list, and then suddenly it was like, hey, good job bud. And gave me a full living dex registered. Meaning it went back and read data it missed from some of my DS transfer pokemon. :shrug:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I mean, look at how movesets seem to be saved. It sounds like BDSP, PLA, and SWSH are each going to be saving a different movelist for your Pokemon. The implications of that are onteresting, especially for spinoffs.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'm wondering how it'll be handled in Gen 9. I guess it might prevent having older Pokemon have access to moves they aren't "supposed" to have, like Clefable and Softboiled. I know in Sword and Shield they added this thing called the "Battle Ready" status or something where Pokemon that were generated in older games are "formatted" to make them more like Pokemon that were generated in Sword and Shield. Perhaps in Gen 9 it'll be something that's done automatically when you transfer something from an older game rather then have a dedicated NPC do it for you.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Unlimited Move Tutor at every Pokecenter should be the minimum expected on that front going forward, I'd imagine.

Legends Arceus lets you change your party's moves in the field, which is amazing (paired with PP-restoring items) for clearing move-specific pokedex checkmarks.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

https://twitter.com/Watchoutitsabe1/status/1525495844916473856?t=Abotln7LVNlKGwOrGwPkHg&s=19

AHHHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
What was the final count on eggs?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
WHy is your clock 11 months behind?

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

I hatched 1400 eggs before I gave up and did RNG manipulation instead. I had to change the year to hit an even delay on my DS to get the right seed. I'm now the #1 fan of RNG manipulation!

I followed a tutorial to create a new save file with a specific trainer ID and secret ID, so I can use the cute charm glitch but also so I would know my secret ID to manipulate the egg. It took about 2 weeks of off and on attempts to get the timing right to create the TID, and then 2 days to get the egg RNG, so I still very much feel like I "earned" my sweet shiny bb.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Framboise posted:

Can't wait to send my Hisuian Pokemon to Pokemon HOME for them to rot in disuse because they can't be sent anywhere :v
One of the S/V screenshots shows H-Zoroark, so I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are usable there.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1526352074115407874

Soon?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Shiroc posted:

Let's Go with its frequently repeating "You got 2 Great Balls!"

and my favorite pokemon item, "PP Up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
BTW!:

When Home first came out, I heard there was a glitch where it didn't register Pokemon's Hyper Training (erasing it?) when they were boxed in Home (INITIALLY) so wait a little bit for people to report back on HOME 2.0, if you can.

All of this makes me wonder if it might be "optimally efficient" to mass-release HOME-based pokemon from a copy of Pokemon Legends Arceus because there's actually a reward system in place for mass releases.